Drew Dowdell

Interior of Mercedes-Benz GLB Concept Rendered

...bitty boxy..

Mercedes-Benz will use the Shanghai Motor Show to introduce a concept version of the upcoming GLB small crossover to slot between the GLA and GLC in the lineup.  Ahead of the show in two weeks, Mercedes has released a rendering of what the interior of the concept might look like.  It shows a very boxy interior with deep HVAC pods, the MBUX wide dual-screen dash, and a 3 point star without the ring on the airbag cover. The controls on the dash, steering wheel, and door look very familiar to existing Mercedes products, leading us to believe that this concept will be very close to the production version.

Spy photos of the GLB indicate that the exterior is just as boxy as the interior and that it may be taking a styling queue or two from the king of the Mercedes SUV lineup, the G-Wagon. Like the GLC, expect a 2.0 liter turbo as a base engine with an up-tuned AMG 35 version to come later.

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

It will have an A-class looking interior.  They'll sell boatloads of them to people that want a G-wagen but can't afford one.

I question that, 6 months of continual sales decline, my gut tells me people are getting tired of the MB products and having them everywhere from the Kia entry level to the so called Luxury level, but all for the most part looking the same. I think their leadership will be replaced by some other company.

G-class is doing well, the GLB could be what reverses the decline.  It will sell well in China and Europe also where gas is expensive.  GLB might be a 3- row also which no one in this segment does

Over all MB is starting to make the same mistakes of old GM, sitting on models longer and updating them later and missing the desire by the public.

Does that mean people are tiring of Cadillac, too?  Every one of their vehicles was down.

I have honestly thought of that as well. Two things is one style, has it grown old, stale, uninteresting and two Fit / Finish in comparison to other brands?

Competition is very much heating up and while I am a fan of Mary and her drive for sustainable profits, I do question the short term thinking in regards to the name plate products they currently have since the EVs are not ready to role out yet. The excitement factor is something to question and not just at GM but other OEMs as well.

As @balthazar has pointed out, when was the last time Mercedes showed us a concept and actually then built it?

Yes, many build concepts as style studies to gage attendees reactions, but were never intended to be built and other times you have concepts such as what Cadillac has done in the last couple that people have loved and they have failed to build them let alone refresh the current products to build on the excitement it generates.

Final point is the amount of debt people have, many just cannot afford to trade in / trade up. So the market will suffer.

My gut tells me we have finally entered the bear market that will see a 12 to 18 months of soft sales till various new EVs show up and actual new product is available for sale.

All their cars on in a 7 year cycle with a refresh after 4 years as it has been the past 30 years or so.

The SL and G-class are the exception to that.

• It Took 13 Years, But The Dodge Challenger Has Finally Won (jalopnik.com) In 2015 Ford Mustang hit it peak followed by the Chevrolet Camaro and every year since has dropped in sales. 2015 was also the year that Ford released the current Mustang that is still selling 7 years later. 2015 Ford Mustang sold 122,349 to 66,377 Challengers. 2021 Sales Ford Mustang 52,414 Chevrolet Camaro 21,893 Dodge Challenger 54,314
    • It is.  And some stupid people are insufferable.  The "don't know how much they don't know" crowd can be more hostile and more argumentative because they don't have facts.  They don't want dialogue that involves exchanging information. We have an example of similar idiocy in my very family.  One uncle came over from Europe to visit us on the West Coast.  He is/was the biggest douche bag of the many siblings on one parental side.  When he got to California, he stated what he wanted to see and said that he wanted to see Niagara Falls.  That meant he had no concept of scale.  I told him that that was like going from Lisbon to Eastern Europe. My parents also picked up the tab for him, and his wife, to fly to the Pacific Northwest and to San Francisco during this trip.  He was a pill on both trips.  He wanted to see one of the bridges, so I took the rental car with all of us onto the Bay Bridge because it was cheaper.  He went ballistic.  First, you don't just "ascend" onto the bridge deck.  You have to find the on-ramps in S.F.  Then, when you get to the other side, you're in Oakland.  I didn't get off the freeway because I didn't know and didn't want to experiment with Oakland.  So I went further out to a nicer suburb with a full interchange to drive us back to the city.  During this prolongation, he kept yelling. Of the countries in Europe I keep up with, I knew Portugal leads in vaccination efforts.  That's impressive for a smaller and not particularly rich European country.  Spain (which I don't see on this graphic) would be behind them, and ahead of Italy and France.  France has seen their own "don't tread on me" demonstrations in their streets. It's not.  But some people make us shake our heads. On my homepage were some links about some guy named Doug Kuzma.  It turns out he has/had a podcast where he touted the typical packaging of the anti-vax crowd.  His platform was called FROG network.  I thought that maybe he liked amphibians ... or was poking fun at the French.  FROG means "Fully Rely On God."  A person from this group posted that Doug needed "heavy, heavy" prayers.  He was only 61 and now on a ventilator, unconscious.  The first thing that came to mind was the adage that "God helps those who helps themselves."  He was pushing those drugs we've heard about that start with "i" and "hydro" as an alternative to the vaccine.  If you heard this guy, I doubt his critical thinking skills in the realms of science and practical topics were that developed.  A few days later, I found out he didn't make it. You just shrug.
    • This is the source I referenced the first time, in case anyone wanted to see : https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/vaccination-rollout-and-access/ No vested interest, not promoting it, not saying it's the best, just posting a source. - - - - - It's actually Gibraltar who is apparently "leading the world" (whatever that outmoded concept may mean). They have a population of 33,675 and the BBC puts them at the top of the list with "121%" fully vaccinated".  Or - assuming there's something amiss with a percentage over 100 - it's Pitcairn, whom 100% of it's [67] people are vaccinated. If anyone thinks telling someone who doesn't want to get the vaccine that -say- 'Cuba had a higher rate than the U.S.' is going to do jack squat; boy are they going to be disappointed.
    • Happy Birthday @Paolino Wishing you an awesome day!