Alfa Romeo Scraps Plans For Giulia Wagon

Remember how Alfa Romeo was going to do A Giulia wagon?

Alfa Romeo was planning to build out the Giulia lineup with a coupe, convertible, and wagon. But one of those variants has been canned.

Alfa Romeo's manufacturing chief, Alfredo Altavilla tells Car Magazine that plans for the wagon have been canceled.

"We decided not to do a Giulia Sportwagon. Do we really need it if the Stelvio SUV [below] drives that well? Maybe not. With our fine-tuning, the Stelvio can capture all the people who would otherwise have been interested in the SW."

Alfa's reasons for canceling the wagon makes sense. More and more people are turning to the SUVs and crossovers. Why spend the money on developing a model that might not sell as well as an SUV?

Source: Car Magazine

The more I look at this car, the more strongly I feel that the Alfa lineup will never sell well. The design style is just BUTT UGLY! :puke:

I know some of you here love it, but this product line should have stayed dead, the style is ugly IMO and I still do not see anything that would say this will be a tight quality product line.

FCA has so many pain points that need to be fixed, trying to bring back an autoline that the public went away from as it was crappy then and will probably still be crappy now.

Sergio's Money Pit is what ALFA is!

You are absolutely drunk. This is one of the best looking cars on the market right now, including all the sporty coupes and exotics. They NAILED the exterior design, imo.

It's not ugly and it's not beautiful; it's just another oh-so-mild variation of a dozen other vehicles already out.

NO ONE is making major market inroads (Alfa : "quadruple production") based on design alone anymore, which is the only potential left, as everyone is competitive (within segment) on specifications. Alfa has huge baggage in the U.S. that remains to be seen of it can be dropped and sell some vehicles… or not.

It's a distinctive design...the front is definitely evocative of past Alfas, and it's not the usual boring, predictable trapezoidial giant grille too many cars have today...and I like the offset front license plate instead of the usual, boring predicable centered plate.   The side profile is less distinct, showing strong BMW 3-series design cues though...how Alfa will be received in the US market is a good question, it's basically an unknown new brand to anyone under 40 or so.

U am sorry, i think she is a beauty and I can't wait to see the coupe version.  This will not be the high seller though, obviously that will be the Stelvio.  Also, Dfelt, you can't say it isn't a tight quality product, you simply want to conjecture on the negative side of everything when it comes to this company.  .

Like stated it is mostly not a bad looking cars but they really need to do something with the grill. I know it is traditional but today it appears as a large vagina in the front.

Now I do not think they should scrap Alfa. But they do need to move the Voume focused to Dodge.

Sergios plans of 400,000 global and 150,000 sales are just never going to happen even if they build a better BMW.

Keep in mind in December Alfa sales in America doubled to a whopping 53 units. Hell 7 more cars they would have surpassed the Viper.

The SUV is a better move over a wagon but their fate is already cast here. Also slipping the Alfa under the rest of the FCA line is ill advised. One they will have quality issues. Two it will delete an already weak Alfa image.

Alfa is much like the 200 where it really is a much better good car but it is still not a leader in segment.

Also the image of Alfa is so much more damaged than Cadillac and we all know the work GM has to do there.

Edited by hyperv6
    4 hours ago, Stew said:

Or it could be based off of a solid history of unreliable products. Sorry, but Alfa and Fiat earned their reputations for very good reasons and it doesn't appear to have changed much. One look at its problems overseas tells me that.

2 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Those were all on older FWD based platforms that have nothing to do with this one.  I haven't seen anything about this car having reliability problems and besides there is a lot more Chrysler in it than people would want you to think.  That is kind of like saying because the transmission failed on mine and my parents 92 and 96 Luminas and 2000 GTP that GM is garbage right now even though they have nothing based on that old W-Body platform.  .

1 hour ago, Stew said:

I am talking about their current crop of cars. Overall, they are just as troublesome as they were in the 70s and 80s, even if the reasons are different. FCA overall spends a lot of time at the bottom of a lot of reliability charts.

For the record, I'm not just taking smack to talk smack about FCA. I owned my Dodge for eight years and it was the best car I've ever owned overall but I'm not so delusional about it to think that all Dodges are trouble free just because mine wasn't. They have gotten better overall, but so has the competition and that's the problem here.

Edited by surreal1272
    On 2/10/2017 at 1:58 PM, ccap41 said:

CCAP, I have to think you are probably half my age. I am 49 and I can tell you my fellow pears remember the garbage that Alfa and Fiat tried to peddle in the US and how that garbage caused them to pull out.

They are still building garbage and I see it when I travel to Europe and I see it here in the US and their design language is OLD. Just a refresh of what they did in the past.

I accept your love of the auto, to me, it is ugly and not worth the money. So many superior products out there in comparison to this wasted billion dollar pet project of Sergios.

9 hours ago, Stew said:

Nope WRONG, I have way to much experiance with the Fiats and Alfas or the 60's - 70's and the garbage they tried to peddle that failed and forced them to withdraw. I have gone out of my way to drive them on my trips overseas and still see no difference. Same with what is being sold here now, still garbage.

Sergio should have made sure the quality of Fiat was perfect when he brought it back to the US. Failed, Alfas that are on the floor here now are not much better.

My opinion based on past and current experience with them and I have tried to give them the benefit of the doubt but they still fail.

Way to many other products from Germany, Asian and especially the US that beats Alfa and Fiat every which way.

Every MFG has their trouble spots and models be it GM, Ford, Toyota, Mazda or FCA.

The problem is more of the FCA products have been more trouble prone since the merger. Chrysler had their issues with some quality due to going broke just as GM did. But since the bail out GM has improved while FCA is relying on FCA engineered platforms that to me are not up to the quality that Chrysler used to make on their own.

FCA is Debt heavy and that often leads to problems on quality. This is where they all fall down.

The new Alfa platform has yet to prove itself yet as it is new. But many are wary as it had issues in development and was delayed due to these issues. Seeing FCA usually has more cars on the do not buy list due to quality than most from review firms they so have issues.

GM has has issues on their large SUV models and they all ended up on the list. That tells me they have an issue with this platform. As for FCA they are having problems on multiple platforms and that is troubling and not a good sign for the new platform. Time will either clear of confirm it but I will not be shocked if they sell many that it ends up on some do not buy list.

I see FCA about where GM was in the 90's where they do not have all the money they need for development. We know this due to Sergios insistence of a merger and that no one wants anything to do with him. If things improve they may be ok but if the quality continues as it is then they will continue to slide.

The next couple years will be telling.

My gut tells me someone comes in and takes them over or they get sold of in divisions in the next 5-10 years.

A car is only as good as the bones or platform it is on. I have yet to see a platform from Fiat divisions that was at least as good as the others in the market. Like they would say about the Dart and 200 they were much better cars than they replaced but they were still at the back of the pack to the others

Edited by hyperv6

I am an old an old Fiat 128  veteran.

Boy the stories I can tell on that car. There was good but there was more bad then good.

Change a timing belt at 25,000 not 26,000 or you will need a new engine.

Rust? If the humidity was 75% it would rust.

Cheap the doors were as flimsy as a card board box.

Odd? Spare tire in the engine compartment. A knob that says throttle but we called it Italian cruise control as you could pull it out and run over 70 MPH.

If you ever got hit in the thing you were dead. No structure what so ever.

Electronics did work ok in this one.

We did use it as a winter car and a beater. It took a spare junk car to keep it on the road. Our wagon was from TX but the sedan from Ohio. So the Ohio car was dead at 50,000 miles but it has a lot of good mechanical parts.

The car looked good but it would not lock as we had no latch for the rear. The struts held it down.  We could leave it in down town Cleveland and no one would steal it.

I know the cars today are build to a higher standard but with some time in a 500 you can still feel and see the cheapness of the car. Mirrors should not shake when you slam the door in a car today.

2 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

There's nothing from Fiat, Alfa, or Maserati I'd have the slightest interest in purchasing. :puke:

Smart comment!

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

What? :o Not even the Fiat Rebadge Mazda? ;)

Trust me if there is a way to screw up a Miata Fiat will find a way.

Let face it the Italians can style some of the best cars but the new Spider is not a real looker.

14 hours ago, hyperv6 said:

Smart comment!

Trust me if there is a way to screw up a Miata Fiat will find a way.

:roflmao: So True!

On 2/11/2017 at 2:54 PM, surreal1272 said:

No company has all trouble free cars, but the bottom line is that most of the current crop of "reliability issues" are people's inability to use features and have nothing to do with reliability.  GM for example has their more recent issues as well.  IE the 14+ Silverado.  There is the vibration issue and surface rust appearing, in some cases, less than a year.  My brother's ATS with less than 10k miles has already had to have the CUE head unit replaced AND has had to have the ECU flashed for a check engine light.  I can look past the BS.  Alfa hasn't even sold enough cars to be included in quality studies here.......

On 2/11/2017 at 5:35 PM, dfelt said:

LMAO everything was garbag3e in the 60s and 70s so that is just a foolish comment.  We are talking 40 to 50 years ago.  i mean that comment tells me ALL I need to know.

27 minutes ago, Stew said:

Well of course every make has had it garbage years and yes the 60s and 70s were unkind to quite a few of them. The problem with Fiat/Alfa (leaving their domestic side out of this) is that they never stopped being garbage. They ran out of this country the first time because their cars were bigger piles of dung than the other dung of the 60s and 70s. It's not even debatable. Sorry and again I'm not picking on them "just because". I'm picking on them because I understand their history and saw those piles up close (namely Alfa Spyders and Fiat XTs) and evidently it has taken on a new form called the 500. They have garbage resale value for a reason. No offense but no one will change my mind on Fiat ever.

Edited by surreal1272
    6 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

There is still no reason to call the entire platform junk as it was actually co-designed for the entire brand.  The Engines are the new Chrysler turbo 4, and the transmissions still the venerable ZF 8 speed.  The only worry is the turbo 6 which has to be putting out a ton of boost with it's small displacement to be putting out the HP it does.   And this is so different from those old cars in form, shape, and even drive wheels it is hard for me to not give it a chanc3e.  Like I said, it is like me never buying a GM being of transmission issues in my old W-bodies or the front end failures in my old B-bodies.  Simply another example of the hypocrisy of blasting 1 brand yet making excuses for another so what is bad for one isn't for the other.  I am pretty sure those W-bodies were built well after Alfa had left the US......

Edited by Stew
    On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:30 PM, dfelt said:

Close, I'm 28. Oh I'm just giving you a hard time, bud. It very well may be garbage quality. I just think it is a very aesthetically pleasing vehicle. Would I buy one today if I had to buy from this class? More than likely, no. I like the C Class the most as it suits my laid back driving style the most. Ohhhhh or the XE... but then we're back into the reliability issue of Jaguar. Maybe they're better than they were 10 years ago but I'd still have to pass for now.

Edited by ccap41

Jaguar Land Rover hasn't been doing very well for the past few years. Numerous issues such as poor sales in China, demand for diesel powered vehicles dropping, and the pandemic have put the automaker in a difficult place. This morning in the United Kingdom, Jaguar Land Rover CEO Thierry Bolloré announced plans to make Jaguar an electric only brand by 2025; Land Rover to launch six electric models; and to become a net-zero-carbon business by 2039.
      "We are harnessing those ingredients today to reimagine the business, the two brands and the customer experience of tomorrow. The Reimagine strategy allows us to enhance and celebrate that uniqueness like never before. Together, we can design an even more sustainable and positive impact on the world around us," Bolloré said in a statement.
      Jaguar

Out of the two brands, Jaguar is hurting the most. Sales have dropped like a rock due to people stepping away from sedans and diesel powertrains. Bolloré's plan has the brand moving to an all-electric lineup by 2025. Not many details were released or talked about during the press conference this morning. What we do know is,
      Future models will utilize a new modular electric platform, known as the Electric Modular Architecture (EMA). The planned XJ replacement, rumored to go electric has been canceled. Likely reason for the cancelation is the platform that was going to be used for this model likely didn't scale to other models. Jaguar did say the XJ name could appear again on a future model. Automotive News (Subscription Required) reports that Jaguar will also move away from SUV-styled vehicles, likely meaning the end of the E and F-Pace. Land Rover

Land Rover isn't going to dive in quickly as Jaguar into EVs. The plan is to continue offering a mix of powertrains, but with a heavy focus on electrification. Six all-electric models are planned to be launched by 2030, with the first model coming out in 2024. No word on what that model would be, but our guess is possibly a Range Rover EV. Land Rover will use Electric Modular Architecture for EVs, alongside the Modular Longitudinal Architecture (MLA) for hybrids. The goal is to have 60 percent of Land Rover sales be for electrics by 2030.
      Other Details
      Jaguar Land Rover said that it would keep all three of its U.K. plans open, but the Castle Bromwich plant(home to Jaguar XE, XF, and F-Type production) has a unclear future.
      “First we will continue production of our existing nameplates built there to the end of their lifecycle. Then we will explore opportunities to refurbish the plant, which could benefit from the consolidation of businesses scattered across the Midlands,” said Bolloré.
      Jaguar Land Rover is also planning on moving their executive team and other major management positions to a centralized location in Gaydon, and work more closely with their parent company, Tata Group.
      Source: Jaguar Land Rover
      Jaguar Land Rover reimagines the future of modern luxury by design
      New global strategy – Reimagine – announced for the British company under the leadership of Chief Executive Officer, Thierry Bolloré A sustainability-rich reimagination of modern luxury, unique customer experiences, and positive societal impact Start of journey to become a net zero carbon business by 2039 Reimagination of Jaguar as an all-electric luxury brand from 2025 to ‘realise its unique potential’ In the next five years, Land Rover will welcome six pure electric variants as it continues to be the world leader of luxury SUVs All Jaguar and Land Rover nameplates to be available in pure electric form by end of the decade; first all-electric Land Rover model in 2024 Clean-hydrogen fuel-cell power being developed in preparation for future demand Streamlined structure to deliver greater agility and promote an efficiency of focus Global manufacturing and assembly footprint to be retained, rightsized, repurposed and reorganised Collaborations and knowledge-sharing with industry leaders, in particular from within the wider Tata Group will allow the company to explore potential synergies on clean energy, connected services, data and software development leadership On a path towards double-digit EBIT margin and positive cash flow, with an ambition to achieve positive cash net-of-debt by 2025 with a value creation approach delivering quality and profit-over-volume Gaydon, UK - Monday 15th February 2021:
      A vision of modern luxury by design
      Jaguar Land Rover will reimagine the future of modern luxury by design through its two distinct, British brands.
      Set against a canvas of true sustainability, Jaguar Land Rover will become a more agile creator of the world’s most desirable luxury vehicles and services for the most discerning of customers. A strategy that is designed to create a new benchmark in environmental, societal and community impact for a luxury business.
      “Jaguar Land Rover is unique in the global automotive industry. Designers of peerless models, an unrivalled understanding of the future luxury needs of its customers, emotionally rich brand equity, a spirit of Britishness and unrivalled access to leading global players in technology and sustainability within the wider Tata Group.
      “We are harnessing those ingredients today to reimagine the business, the two brands and the customer experience of tomorrow. The Reimagine strategy allows us to enhance and celebrate that uniqueness like never before. Together, we can design an even more sustainable and positive impact on the world around us,” said Mr Bolloré.
      Two distinct modern luxury brands with sustainability at the centre
      At the heart of its Reimagine plan will be the electrification of both Land Rover and Jaguar brands on separate architectures with two clear, unique personalities.
      In a Land Rover, vehicle and driver are united by adventure. By breaking new ground, confronting new challenges and not being content with the expected, Land Rover truly helps people to go ‘Above and Beyond’. In the next five years, Land Rover will welcome six pure electric variants as it continues to be the world leader of luxury SUVs through its three families of Range Rover, Discovery and Defender. The first all-electric variant will arrive in 2024.
      By the middle of the decade, Jaguar will have undergone a renaissance to emerge as a pure electric luxury brand with a dramatically beautiful new portfolio of emotionally engaging designs and pioneering next-generation technologies. Jaguar will exist to make life extraordinary by creating dramatically beautiful automotive experiences that leave its customers feeling unique and rewarded. Although the nameplate may be retained, the planned Jaguar XJ replacement will not form part of the line-up, as the brand looks to realise its unique potential.
      Jaguar and Land Rover will offer pure electric power, nameplate by nameplate, by 2030. By this time, in addition to 100% of Jaguar sales, it is anticipated that around 60% of Land Rovers sold will be equipped with zero tailpipe powertrains.
      Jaguar Land Rover’s aim is to achieve net zero carbon emissions across its supply chain, products and operations by 2039. As part of this ambition, the company is also preparing for the expected adoption of clean fuel-cell power in line with a maturing of the hydrogen economy. Development is already underway with prototypes arriving on UK roads within the next 12 months as part of the long-term investment programme.
      Sustainability that delivers a new benchmark in environmental and societal impact for the luxury sector is fundamental to the success of Reimagine. A new centralised team will be empowered to build on and accelerate pioneering innovations in materiality, engineering, manufacturing, services and circular economy investments.
      Annual commitments of circa £2.5bn will include investments in electrification technologies and the development of connected services to enhance the journey and experiences of customers, alongside data-centric technologies that will further improve their ownership ecosystem.
      Proven services like the flexible PIVOTAL subscription model (which has grown 750% during the fiscal year), born out of Jaguar Land Rover’s incubator and investor arm, InMotion, will now be rolled out to other markets following a successful launch in the UK.
      Quality and efficiency
      Reimagine will see Jaguar Land Rover establish new benchmark standards in quality and efficiency for the luxury sector by rightsizing, repurposing and reorganising.
      Central to that journey, and in order to establish different personalities for the two brands, is the new architecture strategy.
      Land Rover will use the forthcoming flex Modular Longitudinal Architecture (MLA). It will deliver electrified internal combustion engines (ICE) and full electric variants as the company evolves its product line-up in the future. In addition, Land Rover will also use pure electric biased Electric Modular Architecture (EMA) which will also support advanced electrified ICE.
      Future Jaguar models will be built exclusively on a pure electric architecture.
      Reimagine is designed to deliver simplification too. By consolidating the number of platforms and models being produced per plant, the company will be able to establish new benchmark standards in efficient scale and quality for the luxury sector. Such an approach will help rationalise sourcing and accelerate investments in local circular economy supply chains.
      From a core manufacturing perspective that means Jaguar Land Rover will retain its plant and assembly facilities in the home UK market and around the world. As well as being the manufacturer of the MLA architecture, Solihull, West Midlands will also be the home to the future advanced Jaguar pure electric platform.
      Key partners including Trade Unions, retailers and those in the supply chain will continue to play a vital part of the extended new Jaguar Land Rover ecosystem and its journey towards reimagining the future of modern luxury.
      ReFocus to a more agile operation
      As evidenced with the latest financial results, Jaguar Land Rover has a strong foundation on which to build a sustainable and resilient business for its customers and their communities, partners, employees, shareholders and the environment.
      Driving this transformation is the recently launched Refocus programme, by consolidating existing initiatives like Charge+ with new cross-functional activities.
      Reimagine will see Jaguar Land Rover right-size, repurpose and reorganise into a more agile operation. The creation of a flatter structure is designed to empower employees to create and deliver at speed and with clear purpose.
      To accelerate this efficiency of focus, the company will substantially reduce and rationalise its non-manufacturing infrastructure in the UK. Gaydon will become the symbol of this effort – the ‘reactor’ of the business - with the Executive Team and other management functions moving into the one location to aid frictionless cooperation and agile decision-making.
      Leapfrog to leadership with Tata Group
      In order to realise its vision of modern luxury mobility with confidence, the company will curate closer collaboration and knowledge-sharing with Tata Group companies to enhance sustainability and reduce emissions as well as sharing best practice in next-generation technology, data and software development leadership. Jaguar Land Rover has been a wholly-owned subsidiary of Tata Motors, in which Tata Sons is the largest shareholder, since 2008.
      “We have so many ingredients from within. It is a unique opportunity,” said Mr Bolloré. “Others have to rely solely on external partnerships and compromise, but we have frictionless access that will allow us to lean forward with confidence and at speed.”
      Bringing all these ingredients together, Jaguar Land Rover is on a path towards double-digit EBIT margins and positive cash flow, with an ambition to achieve positive cash net-of-debt by 2025.
      Ultimately, Jaguar Land Rover aims to be one of the most profitable luxury manufacturers in the world.
      Mr N Chandrasekaran, Chairman of Tata Sons, Tata Motors and Jaguar Land Rover Automotive plc commented: “The Reimagine strategy takes Jaguar Land Rover on a significant path of acceleration in harmony with the vision and sustainability priorities of the wider Tata Group. Together, we will help Jaguar realise its potential, reinforce Land Rover’s timeless appeal and collectively become a symbol of a truly responsible business for its customers, society and the planet.”
      Mr Bolloré concluded: “As a human-centred company, we can, and will, move much faster and with clear purpose of not just reimagining modern luxury but defining it for two distinct brands. Brands that present emotionally unique designs, pieces of art if you like, but all with connected technologies and responsible materials that collectively set new standards in ownership. We are reimagining a new modern luxury by design.”

Jaguar

Other Details
      Source: Jaguar Land Rover
      Jaguar Land Rover reimagines the future of modern luxury by design
      A vision of modern luxury by design
      Two distinct modern luxury brands with sustainability at the centre
      Quality and efficiency
      Future Jaguar models will be built exclusively on a pure electric architecture.
      ReFocus to a more agile operation
      Leapfrog to leadership with Tata Group
      Yesterday, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and Groupe PSA officially merged to become Stellantis, the fourth-largest automaker in the world. But this merge has produced some consequences that need to be addressed. One of those being Peugeot's re-entry back in to the U.S.
      “We were last speaking about [Peugeot’s U.S. re-entry] a year and a half ago, before Stellantis. We can’t not take into account that in the coming days Peugeot will be part of this new world. I imagine in the coming months due to the new strategy we will have to adapt and reconsider all elements, including this one,” said Peugeot CEO Jean-Philippe Imparato to Automotive News.
      A key reason for this reconsideration not wanting overlap brands in the U.S.
      This is a polar opposite to comments made last year by Larry Dominique, CEO of PSA North America.
      Imparto's focus for Peugeot in the near future is concentrating on its core markets - Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and Latin America. There are also plans to get the brand back on track in China. As for the U.S., Imparto said it was "still on the table" down the road.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

A key reason for this reconsideration not wanting overlap brands in the U.S.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
      It has been some time since we last reported on PSA Group's plan to re-enter the U.S. When we last checked in, Peugeot was chosen as the brand to be entering the U.S. by 2023 and rumors were swirling about a possible merger between PSA Group and FCA. A lot has changed since then as the two automakers begin to finalize plans for a merger, and the COVID-19 pandemic has no end in sight in the U.S. What does that mean for Peugeot's return to the U.S.?
      "My role is to grow the PSA business in North America, growing our mobility capability and preparing for the launch of Peugeot." said Larry Dominique, CEO of PSA North America to Automotive News.
      "From our standpoint, we're planning as if [the merger] doesn't exist. We're marching forward as if PSA was going to be there by themselves."
      Dominique is right now focused on the present with the top priority being building out a dealer network for both U.S. and Canada before the launch. He explained that the company is planning a two-prong approach, having franchised dealers and online retailing.
      "The future success for OEMs is the reduction of distribution costs while ensuring both retail and OEM margin sustainability. This has to be done through strong pricing power, not volume turnover," he said.
      Part of this is due to COVID-19 pandemic which has many automakers rethinking how they sell vehicles, something Dominique admits is a big challenge.
      "All my competitors are going to be focusing on digital, which means we have to step up our game and deliver an even stronger customer experience when we launch Peugeot in North America. We need to get out of an environment where the retailers are dependent upon just F&I and service to pay their bills."
      Another challenge facing Dominique, what models to sell in the U.S. The market has changed a lot since PSA Group announced its intentions to re-enter the U.S. Consumers now are focused on trucks and crossovers.
      "I don't have a full-sized truck,. But the C and D segments are what's relevant to us. The C and D segments are high volume and important to North America. That's where we're going to focus initially,"
      To us, this hints at the 3008 and 5008 crossovers being some of the first models to be available.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

• For those who endured wickedly mean nuns, it would take much more than $ 350. By the time I had some of the few who were left, they had thankfully mellowed out.
    • Enough said.  Especially with the Farrah Fawcett hair. This lady is probably of the variety that relishes, or relished, her smoke breaks outside her place of work with kindred souls.  Oh yes, this (stereo)type definitely exists.  Don't be arguing with me, folks, and throwing down that PC card.
    • I think he @ykX is equating a  'wallowy" suspension with crappy ride.  To that he aint wrong about the cars having wallowy suspensions during the time he is referencing which is from the late 1960s to the early and mid-1980s.   I aint gonna judge nobody for liking and not liking this type of ride. I dont care really what somebody's preference is for car suspensions, but there are some things that I will take exception to.  But his or anybody else's preference aint one of them.   The thing I WILL take exception to though is about calling it a crap ride as opposed to a tighter European "road hugging, stiffer suspension is that I will DEFEND the wallowy ride for these reasons: BECAUSE our NORTH AMERICAN roads and CAR CULTURE DICTATED that OUR cars RODE like we are in our living room on our sofas in COMFORT.   Our highways, to THIS day, are STRAIGHT for THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of miles and when we USED to go on family trips from coast to coast practically, East to West or North to South and EVERYTHING in between, in European terms, many borders of many countries, 5-6 -7 countries, would be crossed. Europe is also very very mountainous, and hence their cars being smaller and because most of their roads were horse and donkey travelled, cars HAD to be tighter for turning.   American roads flattened the mountains or go right through them, but NOT travelling around the perimeter of the mountain when on one side is the mountain, the other side is a plummet to your death and you have to share the very very narrow road with cars going the opposite side.  Brakes and handling and turning radius had BETTER be tight... City driving is the same.  HUGE phoquing boulevards. Street light to street light...racing.   Is THAT a better ride over the other? Well, take a North American road trip in a small, tight suspension-ed Japanese or European car of that era and you would realize that those cars were NOT great for OUR roads AND car culture.  Id say shytty if we were truly honest about this whole thing. By contrast, traditional big American cars SUCK for Europe...for many many reasons. As many as those 1970s European and Japanese cars were for us.  High gasoline prices was probably the SOLE reason why these cars even got a foothold on our shores. Again, if we were truly honest about this whole thing...  What I have said is not a secret. I aint teaching anybody anthing knew here.  Its just sometimes, we let our biases get in the way...
    • Yeah, I believe I read it is more targeted at the people cross shopping small SUVs for the space but utility.

1. Benoit38