Alfa Romeo Scraps Plans For Giulia Wagon

• Remember how Alfa Romeo was going to do A Giulia wagon?

Alfa Romeo was planning to build out the Giulia lineup with a coupe, convertible, and wagon. But one of those variants has been canned.

Alfa Romeo's manufacturing chief, Alfredo Altavilla tells Car Magazine that plans for the wagon have been canceled.

"We decided not to do a Giulia Sportwagon. Do we really need it if the Stelvio SUV [below] drives that well? Maybe not. With our fine-tuning, the Stelvio can capture all the people who would otherwise have been interested in the SW."

Alfa's reasons for canceling the wagon makes sense. More and more people are turning to the SUVs and crossovers. Why spend the money on developing a model that might not sell as well as an SUV?

Source: Car Magazine

The more I look at this car, the more strongly I feel that the Alfa lineup will never sell well. The design style is just BUTT UGLY! :puke:

I know some of you here love it, but this product line should have stayed dead, the style is ugly IMO and I still do not see anything that would say this will be a tight quality product line.

FCA has so many pain points that need to be fixed, trying to bring back an autoline that the public went away from as it was crappy then and will probably still be crappy now.

Sergio's Money Pit is what ALFA is!

You are absolutely drunk. This is one of the best looking cars on the market right now, including all the sporty coupes and exotics. They NAILED the exterior design, imo.

It's not ugly and it's not beautiful; it's just another oh-so-mild variation of a dozen other vehicles already out.

NO ONE is making major market inroads (Alfa : "quadruple production") based on design alone anymore, which is the only potential left, as everyone is competitive (within segment) on specifications. Alfa has huge baggage in the U.S. that remains to be seen of it can be dropped and sell some vehicles… or not.

It's a distinctive design...the front is definitely evocative of past Alfas, and it's not the usual boring, predictable trapezoidial giant grille too many cars have today...and I like the offset front license plate instead of the usual, boring predicable centered plate.   The side profile is less distinct, showing strong BMW 3-series design cues though...how Alfa will be received in the US market is a good question, it's basically an unknown new brand to anyone under 40 or so.

U am sorry, i think she is a beauty and I can't wait to see the coupe version.  This will not be the high seller though, obviously that will be the Stelvio.  Also, Dfelt, you can't say it isn't a tight quality product, you simply want to conjecture on the negative side of everything when it comes to this company.  .

Like stated it is mostly not a bad looking cars but they really need to do something with the grill. I know it is traditional but today it appears as a large vagina in the front.

Now I do not think they should scrap Alfa. But they do need to move the Voume focused to Dodge.

Sergios plans of 400,000 global and 150,000 sales are just never going to happen even if they build a better BMW.

Keep in mind in December Alfa sales in America doubled to a whopping 53 units. Hell 7 more cars they would have surpassed the Viper.

The SUV is a better move over a wagon but their fate is already cast here. Also slipping the Alfa under the rest of the FCA line is ill advised. One they will have quality issues. Two it will delete an already weak Alfa image.

Alfa is much like the 200 where it really is a much better good car but it is still not a leader in segment.

Also the image of Alfa is so much more damaged than Cadillac and we all know the work GM has to do there.

Edited by hyperv6

4 hours ago, Stew said:

Or it could be based off of a solid history of unreliable products. Sorry, but Alfa and Fiat earned their reputations for very good reasons and it doesn't appear to have changed much. One look at its problems overseas tells me that.

2 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Those were all on older FWD based platforms that have nothing to do with this one.  I haven't seen anything about this car having reliability problems and besides there is a lot more Chrysler in it than people would want you to think.  That is kind of like saying because the transmission failed on mine and my parents 92 and 96 Luminas and 2000 GTP that GM is garbage right now even though they have nothing based on that old W-Body platform.  .

1 hour ago, Stew said:

I am talking about their current crop of cars. Overall, they are just as troublesome as they were in the 70s and 80s, even if the reasons are different. FCA overall spends a lot of time at the bottom of a lot of reliability charts.

For the record, I'm not just taking smack to talk smack about FCA. I owned my Dodge for eight years and it was the best car I've ever owned overall but I'm not so delusional about it to think that all Dodges are trouble free just because mine wasn't. They have gotten better overall, but so has the competition and that's the problem here.

Edited by surreal1272

On 2/10/2017 at 1:58 PM, ccap41 said:

CCAP, I have to think you are probably half my age. I am 49 and I can tell you my fellow pears remember the garbage that Alfa and Fiat tried to peddle in the US and how that garbage caused them to pull out.

They are still building garbage and I see it when I travel to Europe and I see it here in the US and their design language is OLD. Just a refresh of what they did in the past.

I accept your love of the auto, to me, it is ugly and not worth the money. So many superior products out there in comparison to this wasted billion dollar pet project of Sergios.

9 hours ago, Stew said:

Nope WRONG, I have way to much experiance with the Fiats and Alfas or the 60's - 70's and the garbage they tried to peddle that failed and forced them to withdraw. I have gone out of my way to drive them on my trips overseas and still see no difference. Same with what is being sold here now, still garbage.

Sergio should have made sure the quality of Fiat was perfect when he brought it back to the US. Failed, Alfas that are on the floor here now are not much better.

My opinion based on past and current experience with them and I have tried to give them the benefit of the doubt but they still fail.

Way to many other products from Germany, Asian and especially the US that beats Alfa and Fiat every which way.

Every MFG has their trouble spots and models be it GM, Ford, Toyota, Mazda or FCA.

The problem is more of the FCA products have been more trouble prone since the merger. Chrysler had their issues with some quality due to going broke just as GM did. But since the bail out GM has improved while FCA is relying on FCA engineered platforms that to me are not up to the quality that Chrysler used to make on their own.

FCA is Debt heavy and that often leads to problems on quality. This is where they all fall down.

The new Alfa platform has yet to prove itself yet as it is new. But many are wary as it had issues in development and was delayed due to these issues. Seeing FCA usually has more cars on the do not buy list due to quality than most from review firms they so have issues.

GM has has issues on their large SUV models and they all ended up on the list. That tells me they have an issue with this platform. As for FCA they are having problems on multiple platforms and that is troubling and not a good sign for the new platform. Time will either clear of confirm it but I will not be shocked if they sell many that it ends up on some do not buy list.

I see FCA about where GM was in the 90's where they do not have all the money they need for development. We know this due to Sergios insistence of a merger and that no one wants anything to do with him. If things improve they may be ok but if the quality continues as it is then they will continue to slide.

The next couple years will be telling.

My gut tells me someone comes in and takes them over or they get sold of in divisions in the next 5-10 years.

A car is only as good as the bones or platform it is on. I have yet to see a platform from Fiat divisions that was at least as good as the others in the market. Like they would say about the Dart and 200 they were much better cars than they replaced but they were still at the back of the pack to the others

Edited by hyperv6

I am an old an old Fiat 128  veteran.

Boy the stories I can tell on that car. There was good but there was more bad then good.

Change a timing belt at 25,000 not 26,000 or you will need a new engine.

Rust? If the humidity was 75% it would rust.

Cheap the doors were as flimsy as a card board box.

Odd? Spare tire in the engine compartment. A knob that says throttle but we called it Italian cruise control as you could pull it out and run over 70 MPH.

If you ever got hit in the thing you were dead. No structure what so ever.

Electronics did work ok in this one.

We did use it as a winter car and a beater. It took a spare junk car to keep it on the road. Our wagon was from TX but the sedan from Ohio. So the Ohio car was dead at 50,000 miles but it has a lot of good mechanical parts.

The car looked good but it would not lock as we had no latch for the rear. The struts held it down.  We could leave it in down town Cleveland and no one would steal it.

I know the cars today are build to a higher standard but with some time in a 500 you can still feel and see the cheapness of the car. Mirrors should not shake when you slam the door in a car today.

22 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Oh, no! Please excuse me while I go cry in the corner. :hissyfit::glare:

• Why did you just pay full sticker price for a Fiat? :P
    Edited by hyperv6

1 minute ago, hyperv6 said:
    • Why did you just pay full sticker price for a Fiat? :P

There's nothing from Fiat, Alfa, or Maserati I'd have the slightest interest in purchasing. :puke:

27 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

What? :o Not even the Fiat Rebadge Mazda? ;)

2 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Smart comment!

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

What? :o Not even the Fiat Rebadge Mazda? ;)

Trust me if there is a way to screw up a Miata Fiat will find a way.

Let face it the Italians can style some of the best cars but the new Spider is not a real looker.

14 hours ago, hyperv6 said:

Smart comment!

Trust me if there is a way to screw up a Miata Fiat will find a way.

:roflmao: So True!

On 2/11/2017 at 2:54 PM, surreal1272 said:

No company has all trouble free cars, but the bottom line is that most of the current crop of "reliability issues" are people's inability to use features and have nothing to do with reliability.  GM for example has their more recent issues as well.  IE the 14+ Silverado.  There is the vibration issue and surface rust appearing, in some cases, less than a year.  My brother's ATS with less than 10k miles has already had to have the CUE head unit replaced AND has had to have the ECU flashed for a check engine light.  I can look past the BS.  Alfa hasn't even sold enough cars to be included in quality studies here.......

On 2/11/2017 at 5:35 PM, dfelt said:

LMAO everything was garbag3e in the 60s and 70s so that is just a foolish comment.  We are talking 40 to 50 years ago.  i mean that comment tells me ALL I need to know.

27 minutes ago, Stew said:

Well of course every make has had it garbage years and yes the 60s and 70s were unkind to quite a few of them. The problem with Fiat/Alfa (leaving their domestic side out of this) is that they never stopped being garbage. They ran out of this country the first time because their cars were bigger piles of dung than the other dung of the 60s and 70s. It's not even debatable. Sorry and again I'm not picking on them "just because". I'm picking on them because I understand their history and saw those piles up close (namely Alfa Spyders and Fiat XTs) and evidently it has taken on a new form called the 500. They have garbage resale value for a reason. No offense but no one will change my mind on Fiat ever.

Edited by surreal1272

6 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

There is still no reason to call the entire platform junk as it was actually co-designed for the entire brand.  The Engines are the new Chrysler turbo 4, and the transmissions still the venerable ZF 8 speed.  The only worry is the turbo 6 which has to be putting out a ton of boost with it's small displacement to be putting out the HP it does.   And this is so different from those old cars in form, shape, and even drive wheels it is hard for me to not give it a chanc3e.  Like I said, it is like me never buying a GM being of transmission issues in my old W-bodies or the front end failures in my old B-bodies.  Simply another example of the hypocrisy of blasting 1 brand yet making excuses for another so what is bad for one isn't for the other.  I am pretty sure those W-bodies were built well after Alfa had left the US......

Edited by Stew

ccap41

Posted (edited)

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:30 PM, dfelt said:

Close, I'm 28. Oh I'm just giving you a hard time, bud. It very well may be garbage quality. I just think it is a very aesthetically pleasing vehicle. Would I buy one today if I had to buy from this class? More than likely, no. I like the C Class the most as it suits my laid back driving style the most. Ohhhhh or the XE... but then we're back into the reliability issue of Jaguar. Maybe they're better than they were 10 years ago but I'd still have to pass for now.

Edited by ccap41

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

• Popular Stories

1. stlcadet11
      stlcadet11

FCA US Reports March 2017 U.S. Sales
      Dodge brand sales up 10 percent; four Dodge brand vehicles post sales gains Ram Truck brand sales up 6 percent; Ram pickup sales increase 6 percent year over year Jeep® Grand Cherokee sales increase 22 percent compared with same month a year ago Fiat 500 sales up 12 percent for the month April 3, 2017 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US LLC today reported U.S. sales of 190,254 units, a 5 percent decrease compared with sales in March 2016 (199,467 units).

In March, fleet sales of 43,992 units were down 15 percent year over year as FCA US continues its strategy of reducing its sales to the daily rental segment. Fleet sales represented 23 percent of total FCA US sales in March. FCA US retail sales of 146,262 units were down 1 percent for the month, and represented 77 percent of total March sales.

Dodge brand and Ram Truck brand sales increased year over year in March. Dodge brand sales were up 10 percent, led by the 100 percent increase in Dodge Journey crossover sales. Ram Truck brand sales were up 6 percent in March as the Ram pickup and Ram ProMaster van each posted year-over-year sales gains. Sales of the Jeep® Grand Cherokee – the Jeep brand’s volume leader in March – were up 22 percent compared with the same month in 2016. Sales of the Fiat 500 and the all-new Chrysler Pacifica minivan increased year over year as well in the month.
      Dodge Brand
      Four Dodge brand vehicles posted year-over-year sales increases in March, led by the Dodge Journey crossover’s 100 percent sales gain. Sales of the Dodge Challenger were up 17 percent in March. The 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon – the Dodge brand’s new ultimate performance halo car – will be unveiled this month during the 2017 New York International Auto Show week. The Dodge Grand Caravan minivan and the Dodge Viper also turned in year-over-year sales gains for the month. Dodge brand sales were up 10 percent compared with the same month in 2016.

Ram Truck Brand
      Ram pickup truck sales increased 6 percent in March, compared with the same month a year ago. In addition, sales of the Ram ProMaster van were up 24 percent for the month. Ram Truck brand sales, which include the pickup, ProMaster and ProMaster City, were up 6 percent in March. The brand last month unveiled a new exterior color shade for its luxurious and capable Laramie Longhorn line of pickup trucks. RV Match Walnut Brown will serve as the model’s new two-tone contrast color, replacing White Gold. The Ram Laramie Longhorn is the Texas Auto Writers Association’s Luxury Truck of Texas.

FIAT Brand
      Sales of the Fiat 500 increased 12 percent in March, compared with the same month a year ago. Fiat 124 Spider sales were up 39 percent compared with the previous month of February. Experts at Cars.com consider the all-new 2017 Fiat 124 Spider best in its segment, naming it the “Best New Convertible” of 2017.

Jeep® Brand
      The Jeep Grand Cherokee – the brand’s volume leader for the month – recorded a 22 percent year-over-year sales increase in March for its best sales month this year. The all-new 2017 Jeep Compass – the most capable compact SUV ever with the most advanced 4x4 systems in its class – began shipping to Jeep dealerships in March. The new Compass expands the Jeep brand’s global reach with an unmatched combination of attributes that includes legendary and best-in-class 4x4 off-road capability, advanced fuel-efficient powertrains, premium and authentic Jeep design, superior on-road driving dynamics, open-air freedom, and a host of innovative safety and advanced technology offerings.

Chrysler Brand
      Sales of the all-new 2017 Chrysler Pacifica – the most awarded minivan of 2016 and 2017 – were up in its third month of year-over-year comparisons, and increased 3 percent compared with sales in the previous month of February. March also was the Pacifica’s best sales month so far this year. The Pacifica continues to earn a plethora of awards and accolades in 2017, landing on Kelley Blue Book’s list of the “12 Best Family Cars of 2017” in the best minivans category, and “2017 North American Utility of the Year.”

Alfa Romeo Brand
      Alfa Romeo brand sales of 555 units were up 1,191 percent compared with the same month a year ago.

Maserati Brand
      Maserati brand sales of 1,312 units were up 32 percent compared with the same month in 2016.
      U.S. Sales Summary March 2017

1,312
      997
      32%
      3,288
      2,250
      46%

We know Cadillac is planning a major product offensive beginning with the XT3 crossover next year, along with a few other products such as a seven-seat crossover and a competitor to the Audi A3 and Mercedes CLA. Automobile Magazine reports that Cadillac is planning eight all-new or redesigned models by 2022. They include,
      XT3: (Compact crossover) in 2018 CT3: (ATS Replacement) in 2018 XT7: (Seven-seat crossover that is reported to be on Omega. Other reports put say it will use the platform underpinning the redesign Buick Enclave/Chevrolet Traverse) in 2019 CT5: (Replacement for the CTS) in 2019 XT1 or XT2 (Subcompact crossover) in 2020 XT5 Redesign (Possibly going on Omega) in 2021 CT1 or CT2 (A3 and CLA fighter) in 2021 CT8: (Flagship using Omega) in 2021 All of these models are expected to use an evolutionary design theme from the Escala concept. It is still unknown whether or not the CT1/CT2 will use the Delta front-wheel drive platform or use Alpha.
      The brand is also planning investments totaling $800 million into their retail operations in the U.S.
      Source: Automobile
      Pic Credit: William Maley for Cheers and Gears

Source: Automobile
      Pic Credit: William Maley for Cheers and Gears
      Mercedes-Benz is going all in on electric vehicles with the launch of the EQ sub-brand by the end of this decade. Previously, the German automaker planned to have ten electric vehicles in the EQ lineup by 2025. But a new report from Automotive News says that timeframe has been pushed up to 2022.
      Why move this goal forward? According to the report, Mercedes wants to lessen the backlash various automakers are currently dealing with due to the diesel vehicles. Diamler, Mercedes-Benz's parent company is currently under investigation by German prosecutors for possible fraud and false advertising on some of their diesel models. Also, Diamler's plan on reducing CO2 emissions across their entire fleet hit a snag last year due to buyers going for larger vehicles.
      "We want to shape the profound transformation of the automotive industry from the forefront," said Daimler Chairman Manfred Bischoff in a statement.
      "Further fundamental changes will be required for Daimler to remain successful," as the industry adjusts to cars running on electric motors and capable of driving themselves, he said.
      We know that the EQ lineup will include two SUVs (one previewed by the Generation EQ concept from last year) and two sedans.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

• Recent Status Updates