Spying: Next-Generation BMW 3-Series Quietly Hums Along

When a 3-Series goes electric

There have been some rumors floating around for the past couple of years that BMW was planning to offer a 3-Series with a fully electric powertrain. Some new spy shots reveal that may come to fruition.

At first glance, this looks like a normal 3-Series sedan. But on the front doors, there is a label that reads "Electric Test Vehicle". BMW has also tried to disguise the fact this is an electric by attaching tailpipes, but the spy photographer says its a pure EV.

Not much is known about the electric powertrain or batteries. This mule was seen testing with a Tesla Model 3, suggesting that BMW sees it a direct competitor to the 3-Series EV. To do that, the model would need a range of over 200 miles. But sources at BMW tell Motor Trend that the range could be as close to 300 miles.

We do know the next 3-Series will transition the CLAR platform that uses a combination of steel, aluminum, and carbon fiber. It also looks like that the design will not change that much from the current model.

The next 3-Series is expected to debut at the Paris Motor Show in October. Whether we see the EV version is unclear.

Source: Motor Trend

BMW-3-Series-Electric-11.jpg?impolicy=en

Way too funny seeing that label above the Fake Tail pipes. :P I honestly hope they come out of the gate right with a 300 mile battery pack. Put tesla in their place. :smilewide:

After reviewing these pictures, if BMW truly delivers on an EV sedan with 300 miles that you cannot tell apart from an ICE Series 3 sedan, they will really hit Tesla hard as I think most people will take an EV without even thinking about it. Just another Torquay silent car that glides along, charging on cheap electricity with lower maintenance.

I dunno- the BMW 330e is a unilaterally flop despite a 370 mile range (but it's pure EV range is only a measly 14 miles). Not so sure a full electric BMW 3 is going to do much better (i8 is ridiculously overpriced).

Edited by balthazar

Agree the i8 is overpriced, over rated. The 330e is a flop as a mild hybrid with only 14 miles is a joke, not worth the cost.

I truly think the next OEM with a 300 mile range pure EV is going to take Tesla's lunch of a model 3 swdan. Tesla quality is a joke and I do believe there is enough demand that once you get another builder making a car or cuv with a 300 mile range that can produce in quantity with quality that Tesla will hurt.

10 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

The i3 is a joke, the i8 is a joke.  This will certainly be no different.

You complain about the weird looking i Series and how they lack looking like normal auto's. Now a normal looking EV is coming and you pre-Judge it.

You do not know how it will be received. A normal looking 3 series like the rest of the family, with 300 miles of range and less maintenance cost, lower fueling costs and quiet sounds like a win for those that are tired of waiting for the over rated Tesla Model 3.

^ But BMW already has the completely pedestrian 330e out- no one buys it. Sales are 100-some/mnth. Sure; the EV range is crap, but it's a BMW, and it still has an overall rage of 370 miles. I don't think BMW buyers are remotely interested in EV cars. In this case, the 'weird' i3 outsells the 330e 4:1... perhaps 'weird' is what a small sliver of BMW buyers want after all.

I am sure BMW can build an exciting EV. . . . . as soon as they feel like devouring sales of their own 3, 5, and 7 series.  This would be more true if that applies to the X3, X1, X5 and X7.

6 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Oxymoron

If it is then why can the majority of ICE be handed their ass in performance by Tesla?

53 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

3, 5, 7 sales are currently self-devouring.

Straight line speed isn't the end-all-be-all.

Straight line speed isn't the end-all-be-all.

Yet Tesla is just not fast in straight line, they have done extremely well in track courses as well as other types of driving.

What track test have you read where they're comparing them to ICE cars and doing better? They probably only have 1 maybe 2 hot laps before needing to cool and charge up.

Both above on the Model 3.

While the Tesla S did not finish in full power mode last time in Germany, it did do an impressive first 3 min.

Best quote of the Nissan GT-R developer Lead who tested the Tesla S on the track was as follows:

“The lap itself was around 10 minutes Bridge to Gantry (in heavy traffic) but unfortunately the car went into a reduced power mode about 3 minutes in due to excess battery heat (at least, that’s my guess).”

“However, before it did it was able to keep a GT3 RS going full chat, within shouting distance (at the 2:00 mark) far longer than any 4,700lb sedan has a right to.”

“I think without the reduced power output and traffic, a B-T-G lap under nine minutes is possible. According to the Bridge To Gantry site, that would put it in the company of some really quick hot hatches.”

This story was from 2014, so I have to assume much has been overcome since then in the last 4 years.

Here is the updated story when a p90D was taken to the track.https://evobsession.com/tesla-model-s-p90d-nurburgring-video/

Over all seems Tesla still has their limits built in after 3min of aggressive driving to reduce power output but a 10 min lap time still.

Course Porsche is clearly going for the full meal as their testing on the track shows what a dialed in EV car can do, especially as heavy as these 4 doors are.

Wow. 3 whole minutes of spirited driving before she doesn't want any more of it. My Focus could take on a Model S if they're only competitive for 3 minutes.

Even in reduced mode, I bet the tesla would still beat many cars.

Tesla has already stated that once the fine tune the track option that is in the Model 3, it will get pushed out to the S model and I suspect they know they have to have a true track mode since Porsche is doing it as well as BMW and Daimler.

Well, until then, it's a lame duck on any race track that isn't a drag strip.

There's no denying the capability and their straight line acceleration. But, they're not there yet, at least Tesla isn't.

Well, until then, it's a lame duck on any race track that isn't a drag strip.

Totally agree with you there. I am looking forward to Porsche handing Tesla their Ass. :P

Ludicrous mode will be trumped by whatever mode Porsche comes up with I think.

I don't WANT Porsche to hand Tesla their ass but I think it's going to happen. I'd prefer the US company to come out on top.

• By Drew Dowdell
      BMW released a preview of the BMW Concept 4 for the Frankfurt Auto Show today.  The concept features a large vertical grille that will become the new face of the BMW 4-series. The slim headlights have no glass cover allowing a sculptured look to the LED elements. The 4-series features a stretched out hood, long wheelbase, and short overhangs to give an elegant and sporty appearence while the wheel arches contribute to a powerful stance.
      BMW did not give any hints as to the powertrain, but the 4-series currently comes in 248 horsepower, 320 horsepower, and 425 horsepower flavors.
      This low slung concept is clearly an early look at the next 4-series refresh coming in about a year.

• By Drew Dowdell

• By Anthony Fongaro
      EV-curious. That’s what I would call myself. Someone that is interested in EVs but just hasn’t found the right one. There are many aspects of an EV that is appealing to me. Instant torque, quick acceleration, the ability to charge at your house or apartment, and the continuation of creating semi-autonomous driving. It’s all so exciting! I’m ready to go out and trade in my 2016 Volkswagen GTI for one now! Or am I? Let’s take a quick look at a small field of electric vehicles, starting with the brand new 2020 Porsche Taycan.
      The release of the 2020 Porsche Taycan is a feat in and of itself. The car itself is downright sexy, is has a handsome interior, and performance that is pure Porsche. Over 700 HP for the Turbo S model is impressive. It also costs what you would expect an electric super-Porsche would be since the range topping Taycans are coming out first. These are the Turbo and Turbo S which cost over $150,000. After these come onto the market, less expensive and less powerful versions will come. Would this be the car that I will buy? Sure, once I get that CMO position at a major company. This is a dream electric car, but not one that I would consider just yet.
      What about an attainable electric car? There are a few on the market that cover the bases. Vehicles like the Hyundai Kona Electric, Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, and others have good to respectable range, decent features, and are not the most expensive vehicles. Average prices of $40,000-$45,000 is a bit steep, but electric cars usually command a premium over gasoline vehicles. They also have good driving aids such as blind spot monitoring and adaptive cruise control, something that my current car has and is top priority for me. They’re all very good cars but with flaws such as build quality and designs that keep me from considering one. My problem is simple: performance. Electric cars have instant torque at 0 RPM and can be extremely fast. These EVs just don’t cut the mustard for me since they are more about range than blistering speed. For around $45,000, I can get a gas-powered car such as a Genesis G70 3.3T that is faster, has better range, and the safety features I want. Let’s continue from good electric vehicles to “the best”.
      Right now, you are probably thinking: “Anthony, you are forgetting the king of electric vehicles. They are synonymous with electric cars and have a huge cult following.” Guess who that is? Yes, that is of course Tesla. You can’t write about electric cars without talking about Tesla. They are a very S 3 X Y R brand indeed. The Model S introduced expensive but seriously quick electric vehicles. The X brought us an odd but much-needed crossover. The 3 is the bread-and-butter maker with a starting price around $40,000, and acceleration that beats almost all vehicles in its class. The Y hasn’t come out yet but is a crossover version of the 3, and the Roadster is a $250,000 supercar. Even though there are three models currently available, I will focus on the Model 3 Performance since that is the one I am most interested in.
      There is a lot to like about the Model 3 Performance. It has “performance” in its name and with 450 HP, it is one of the quickest sedans I’ve ever driven. The instant torque from the motors is intoxicating and it handles well for a heavy vehicle. Does it tick all the boxes to convert to a Tesla-fanatic? No. Why? The interior. I am not a fan of controlling absolutely everything with a touchscreen and not having my speedometer in front of me.
      The Model 3 Performance can have semi-autonomous driving, but it is a $7,000 option. Tesla’s Autopilot driver-assist system is standard and is regarded to be one of the best, if not the best driver-assist system. Tesla has sold over 250,000 Model 3 vehicles and it is a genuinely amazing feat for a young company. The range is good at over 310 miles. Pricing starts at $55,000 and is fully-loaded around $64,000. If you are okay with the minimal interior and styling, get yourself a Model 3. I personally am not a fan of either of those, so onward we go.
      This brings me to a car I am waiting for: The Polestar 2 fastback. Polestar used to be a sub-division of Volvo, like AMG is to Mercedes-Benz. You can still get Polestar-tune Volvos, but Polestar has branched out into their own brand. The Polestar 2 is their first all-electric car. It has over 250 miles of range, 400 HP, and most import to me, gauges that are straight in front of the driver. The design is bold yet looks like an even more modern version of a Volvo. Since Polestar is a sporty company, the performance upgrades include upgraded shocks, brakes, and bigger wheels with Swedish gold seat belts. You get this package mainly for the gold seat belts. Is it pricey at over $60,000? Yes, but it feels justified for the 408 hp and range of 275 miles. 0-60 is said to be around 4.7 seconds but I suspect it will be lower. Will they sell Tesla Model 3 numbers of them? I highly doubt it since they area new brand, but it should be a great competitor to the Tesla Model 3.
      I like the concept of electric vehicles. I know that one day, there will be one charging at my house. Am I ready for an electric car? Yes. Is there any on the market that jumps out at me and gives me the satisfaction I have for my current car at a reasonable price of around $40,000 new? No.
      Do not get me wrong; there are electric cars that make sense for a multitude of situations. Range and charging are getting better, more features are getting added, and manufacturers are creating electric-only ranges of vehicles that will bring down the costs of more performance-oriented vehicles. I can go in-depth about certain electric cars in a future article. For now, I think I will keep my car and wait until something really catches my eye. That, or wait a few years and hope the Porsche Taycan depreciates enough that I can buy one.

• By Anthony Fongaro

• ^^^ Clearing out the 2019s for the 2020s to arrive.
    • I'd rather see what the car does at half throttle, but the manufacturers have already found a cheat for that.
    • Nice! Super Cruise is awesome, tried it driving a CT6 Platinum I had for Cadillac's 24 hr. test drive. It's pretty accurate and a camera on top of the steering column watches your eyes too "see" if you're paying attention. With dark sunglasses on I tested it by looking at my passenger without moving my head and within 5 or 6 seconds it started beeping and flashing lights in the steering wheel and in the head-up display to alert me, so it saw the whites of my eyes through the sunglasses that's pretty badass really. Kinda like a backseat driver though haha! It stays in the lane really well and isn't jerky or slow to react or too fast to react if someone changes lanes in front of you and that was First Gen. SuperCruise early last year. Second Gen. SC for 2020 is suppose to be much more intelligent too. Pretty soon we'll be having conversations with our cars as we drive, something good to vent our frustrations to that doesn't get overemotional 😆
    • Got this cadillac marketing flyer in the mail today. Everything is 0% interest or some.serious cash on the hood on every model they sell. Wow, $11,000 off an Escalade.
    • OK,  30 to 40 years ago the SOHC and DOHC were screaming Sewing machine engines with no go and sucked other than just a somewhat reliable nature in generic crappy compact auto's. They got a perception of reliable as they pushed service intervals out to 100,000 miles versus US OEMs stuck with stupid 30,000 mile intervals into the late 90's and sadly most auto owners are lazy with maintenance as such, US auto's would stop running when you failed to do the 30K tuneups and 3K oil changes. Plus most asian autos were manual everything where US was pushing electric everything. US auto's could survive a long life if people only followed the maintenance manual.  Sadly I doubt many on this forum have even read their own current owners manual. Being OCD, I have read everyone of my auto's I own and my 1994 GMC Suburban, the oldest car I own and bought new still out performs most current asian SUV/trucks. Take my GMC Suburban SLE over anything Asian or german that is sold today.