• Sign in to follow this  

    Rumorpile: Dont Fret. A New Camaro Z/28 is Coming


    • New Z/28? Possibly.

    The Camaro Z/28 will be returning for an encore act and it might be using the next-generation of Chevrolet's small-block V8.

    Car and Driver reports that GM is working on the next-generation LT engines, codenamed LT6 and LT7. These new V8 engines will lose the pushrods and two-valve combustion chambers that have been a key part of the small-block V8. Instead, the new engines will feature dual overhead camshafts, four-valve combustion chambers, flat crankshaft, titanium connecting rods, and possibly dual injection (port and direct). For the Z/28, a 5.5L LT6 could produce 700 horsepower (that's without any sort of forced induction). 

    Car and Driver speculates there could also be a twin-turbo LT7 that could be used in the next Corvette, high-performance Camaros, and Cadillacs.

    The Camaro Z/28 could arrive next year as a 2019 model year vehicle.

    Source: Car and Driver



      Report Article
    Sign in to follow this  


    User Feedback



    Recommended Comments

    Interesting, reading all the comments, all 44 of them, many do not believe the Pushrod will go away. I question the need for DOHC when we have history that proves pushrods can do the same HP with better Torque over DOHC overweight pigs that have high HP and pathetic Torque.

    I question if this will really happen. As others in the story state in the comments section, a DOHC engine like this makes it top heavy and really changes the dynamics for center of gravity.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I don't get why they keep pushing the Camaro farther and farther up market.  This is why you have the Corvette and Cadillac.  Cadillac should be building GM's best sports cars, not Chevy.  But I guess if they can get some fool to pay $100,000 for a Camaro, more power to them.

    If they continue this plan though, and want to push Corvette up market, then the Corvette might as well start around $89,000 for the base model, $139,000 for Z06 and $200,000 for ZR-1.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    this is just for the Z28.  If you can put this engine in a Caddy and sell 5,000 of them.  Why not put it in a Z28 too, sell 5,000 of those, and you just cut development cost per unit in half.

    Leave the pushrods for the SS.  The ZL1 has it too.  This would really make the Z28 unique among Camaros.

    Chevy probably makes more profit on one ZL1 or Z28 than they do on 5 other camaros or 20 Cruzes.

     

    Now there's your foundation and justification for a new v8 in Cadillacs as well.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

    I don't get why they keep pushing the Camaro farther and farther up market.  This is why you have the Corvette and Cadillac.  Cadillac should be building GM's best sports cars, not Chevy.  But I guess if they can get some fool to pay $100,000 for a Camaro, more power to them.

    If they continue this plan though, and want to push Corvette up market, then the Corvette might as well start around $89,000 for the base model, $139,000 for Z06 and $200,000 for ZR-1.

    Are these the same fools that pay a few hundred grand for a forty year old G-Wagon or a different set of fools?

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, balthazar said:

    Cadillac has nothing to do with the Camaro.

    Cadillac has nothing to do with sports cars period.

    15 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

    Are these the same fools that pay a few hundred grand for a forty year old G-Wagon or a different set of fools?

    The G-wagen starts at $120,000 though.  The Camaro starts at $25,000 and they want to run it up to $100,000.  That is a big gap, that is like selling a $100,000 Impala.  The G-wagen does have amazing off road ability, but I suspect 90% of the buyers aren't going off road, in which case the GLE is a better vehicle overall.   However an all new G-wagen comes out next year, so it will be on a zero year old chassis with a new 4.0 V8, and the new 9-speed automatic, so then maybe it is a different story.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    5 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

    Cadillac has nothing to do with sports cars period.

    I don't get why they keep pushing the Camaro farther and farther up market.  This is why you have the Corvette and Cadillac.  Cadillac should be building GM's best sports cars, not Chevy.

    Like you said: Cadillac has nothing to do with sports cars. Which is why Cadillac is not building sports cars.

    See, you answered your own question.

    As for Camaro pricing, see your first quote above. It doesn't matter to Cadillac what Chevrolet prices the Camaro at.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 minute ago, balthazar said:

     

    Like you said: Cadillac has nothing to do with sports cars. Which is why Cadillac is not building sports cars.

    See, you answered your own question.

    As for Camaro pricing, see your first quote above. It doesn't matter to Cadillac what Chevrolet prices the Camaro at.

    Cadillac should build sports cars, they are only half a luxury brand without them.  If they are top tier where is the stuff to compete with Porsche, Aston Martin, Ferrari, Bentley, the top half of Mercedes line up, etc.  Even dopey Lexus did the LF-A and now has the $100,000 LC which is slower than an S-class coupe by the way, and sized like an E-class coupe.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Is Rolls royce a "half a luxury brand"? Is Ferrari or Lamborghini "half a sports car brand" for not having luxury models?
    Sports cars can be fun- they sell a lot of posters for teenager's bedroom walls, but one doesn't mean the other 'has' to be there also. And an actual 'luxury sports car' is relative new in the grand timeline of things.

    Personally I would MUCH prefer a 'production concept' Cadillac than a 'sports car' people hardly buy any of.

    • Upvote 3

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    A few things;

    1.  Until the ATS is no longer on the Alpha platform, then Cadillac will be related to the Camaro.

    2.  Any new V8 would be shared by as many GM brands to maximize its R&D and production costs to get a return on investment.

    3.  Until the V8 is officially no longer allowed to exist by the Feds, there will always be the arms race with Ford and Dodge to out-muscle the latest muscle car.  The Z/28 would compete with the Mustang GT500 and the Demon Hellcat.  Also, the "collector car" market with Barrett-Jackson, Mecum, etc. has created a secondary market for these "high-end" muscle cars to go for higher dollar at auction as "an investment" for those who wish to rub the car with a diaper and not actually drive it.

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    26 minutes ago, aurora97 said:

    1.  Until the ATS is no longer on the Alpha platform, then Cadillac will be related to the Camaro.

    There's a relation on an engineering level. But Camaro on Alpha & ATS on Alpha is still immaterial to what Chevrolet & Cadillac are doing with each model and overall.

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    12 hours ago, smk4565 said:

    I don't get why they keep pushing the Camaro farther and farther up market.  This is why you have the Corvette and Cadillac.  Cadillac should be building GM's best sports cars, not Chevy.  But I guess if they can get some fool to pay $100,000 for a Camaro, more power to them.

    If they continue this plan though, and want to push Corvette up market, then the Corvette might as well start around $89,000 for the base model, $139,000 for Z06 and $200,000 for ZR-1.

    Are you afraid that Chevy just might actually make a real push into being a complete competition with your vaunted MB? After all Cadillac is focusing on pure Luxury only something MB used to do only in the US, but MB is no different than Chevy in Europe. 

    As such, if MB can play in the 20K market, why not Chevy in the 100K market or higher? No reason not to make Chevy a truly Global brand that covers from Eco entry to luxury just like MB.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    9 hours ago, balthazar said:

    There's a relation on an engineering level. But Camaro on Alpha & ATS on Alpha is still immaterial to what Chevrolet & Cadillac are doing with each model and overall.

    Plus MB does this across their product range on their modular platform from Cheap Eco box's to their luxury level, so why should GM not also maximize basic foundation investments in the platform.

    They already are night and day different in style, interiors, etc.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    11 hours ago, smk4565 said:

    Cadillac has nothing to do with sports cars period.

    The G-wagen starts at $120,000 though.  The Camaro starts at $25,000 and they want to run it up to $100,000.  That is a big gap, that is like selling a $100,000 Impala.  The G-wagen does have amazing off road ability, but I suspect 90% of the buyers aren't going off road, in which case the GLE is a better vehicle overall.   However an all new G-wagen comes out next year, so it will be on a zero year old chassis with a new 4.0 V8, and the new 9-speed automatic, so then maybe it is a different story.

    My point is still valid. You want to talk about "fools buying a $100K Camaro" but think nothing of the fools who pay out the ass for a 40 year box truck just because it has a Benz emblem on the hood.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Doesn't the C Class start in the 30's ad run over 100,000 and they've had Black Series and "S" models to the AMGs which add tens of thousands on top. The Black Series in 2012 MSRP'd for 125k.

    Go on about the peasant model adding ridiculous shet to raise the price over 100k.

    Personally, I dig the G Wagen because of its off-road capability is pretty insane for a factory vehicle. As long as you can deal with wind noise, it's great.

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, FordCosworth said:

    GM going FPC???

    Can't beat your cross town rival, join them.   :P

     

    Flat Plane Crank? Where'd you hear this...? Or are you trolling...?

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

    Flat Plane Crank? Where'd you hear this...? Or are you trolling...?

    In the OP.

    " the new engines will feature dual overhead camshafts, four-valve combustion chambers, flat crankshaft, titanium connecting rods, and possibly dual injection (port and direct) "

    And somehow, without FI...

    " 5.5L LT6 could produce 700 horsepower "

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    9 minutes ago, FordCosworth said:

    In the OP.

    " the new engines will feature dual overhead camshafts, four-valve combustion chambers, flat crankshaft, titanium connecting rods, and possibly dual injection (port and direct) "

    And somehow, without FI...

    " 5.5L LT6 could produce 700 horsepower "

    Damn, I completely read over that after I read DOHC and 4v/cyl.

    I'd credit you with a nice catch but it was more me just being an asshat w/ poor reading skills LOL

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    4 hours ago, dfelt said:

    Are you afraid that Chevy just might actually make a real push into being a complete competition with your vaunted MB? After all Cadillac is focusing on pure Luxury only something MB used to do only in the US, but MB is no different than Chevy in Europe. 

    As such, if MB can play in the 20K market, why not Chevy in the 100K market or higher? No reason not to make Chevy a truly Global brand that covers from Eco entry to luxury just like MB.

    Chevy shouldn't be in the $100k market, because Cadillac should be, and Cadillac has long struggled with anything over $70k that wasn't an Escalade.  We've seen the STS-V and XLR fail and they priced the CT6 low because of it.   And I have zero concern from Chevy competing with MB, Chevy has cheap plastic interiors for one, and 2: Mercedes's hyper car will have over 1,000 hp, weigh 2,200 lbs and have F1 car suspension and active aero, so not worried.  The LaFerrari and Bugatti aren't even going to compete with Mercedes.  

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

    Doesn't the C Class start in the 30's ad run over 100,000 and they've had Black Series and "S" models to the AMGs which add tens of thousands on top. The Black Series in 2012 MSRP'd for 125k.

    Go on about the peasant model adding ridiculous shet to raise the price over 100k.

    Personally, I dig the G Wagen because of its off-road capability is pretty insane for a factory vehicle. As long as you can deal with wind noise, it's great.

    $100k for a C-class is nuts too.  I think the C63 S tops out around $94k now, which to me is about $10k too much, but if you skip carbon ceramic brakes that helps keep cost in check.   But at $100k you are at E63 money, or S550 money and an AMG GT or SL550 in the low 100s, so no reason to ever push a C-class above $90k when there are other better options in the same show room.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    13 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

    $100k for a C-class is nuts too.  I think the C63 S tops out around $94k now, which to me is about $10k too much, but if you skip carbon ceramic brakes that helps keep cost in check.   But at $100k you are at E63 money, or S550 money and an AMG GT or SL550 in the low 100s, so no reason to ever push a C-class above $90k when there are other better options in the same show room.

    I built one to over 101k checking all the boxes but none of those "MB logo center cap"-like crap. Real options.

    Well, they've built 125k C Classes. WTF, man? And ya know what? They sold because they were great. This ZL1 would very likely spank that C AMG Black in every performance metric as well, for half the price.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    And I disagree with $100k plus C-classes because Mercedes has other cars to step up to.  Which is why I don't like $100k Camaros because you have Corvette in the same showroom and Cadillac in the portfolio. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Sometimes people just want a little niche vehicle in their lives. If they're done correctly and people find value in them, they're worth it. Just like the C AMG Black and the last Z/28(while they must have overproduced those some as last I knew you could find a few brand new/unsold ones yet).

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites



    Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

    Guest
    You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
    Add a comment...

    ×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

      Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.