While we're still waiting on anything concerning the next-generation Charger, Dodge has gone ahead and made a number of changes to the current model for the 2019 model year.
We'll begin with the base SXT and work our way to the SRT Hellcat, highlighting the various changes.
- SXT: All-wheel drive becomes available on the base trim, bringing with it the more powerful 3.6L Pentastar V6 (300 horsepower and 264 pound-feet). Options now include Houndstooth cloth sport seats, Caramel Nappa leather interior, updated Blacktop Package, and new Cold Weather Package.
- GT: This model will now be positioned as performance-oriented model for the V6. It gets the 3.6L Pentastar V6 from the SXT AWD, but sends power to the rear-wheels. Previously, the GT was only available with AWD. Other mechanical changes include a performance suspension, 3.07 rear axle ration, and enhanced steering system. The exterior boasts a new performance hood, sculpted side sills, and a spoiler. A set of Houndstooth cloth bolstered performance seats, paddle shifters, and 8.4-inch UConnect system with Dodge Performance Pages make up the interior.
- R/T: Becomes more aggressive in the looks department with a new performance hood, fascial, side sills, and spoiler. Under the skin is a standard performance suspension, 2.62 rear axle ration, and enhanced steering system. Power remains the 5.7L HEMI V8 with 370 horsepower and 395 pound-feet.
- R/T Scat Pack: Gains Launch Assist (help minimize wheel hop and maximize grip) and Line Lock (to do those smoky burnouts). A new front grille features dual air inlets to provide additional cooling for the 392 HEMI V8 engine (485 horsepower and 475 pound-feet). A Satin Black-painted hood and Bilstein three-mode Adaptive Damping Suspension are on the options list.
- SRT Hellcat: Adds Launch Assist, Line Lock, After-Run Chiller (keeps cooling down the supercharger/charge air cooler when the engine is turned off), and Torque Reserve (closes a bypass valve to prefill the supercharger and manages fuel flow and spark to create a "reserve of torque that is delivered upon acceleration from a standing stop). Other changes include a new grille with dual air inlets, optional Satin Black painted hood, and Alcantara interior package.
The 2019 Charger lineup arrives at Dodge dealers in the third quarter.
Imposing New Face, Interior and New Performance Upgrades Lead Revamped Dodge Charger Performance Lineup for 2019
- Dodge repositions the Charger lineup to include a new SXT all-wheel-drive (AWD) model and new Charger GT rear-wheel-drive (RWD) performance model; both are powered by the award-winning Pentastar 3.6-liter V-6 engine, which delivers up to 300 horsepower and up to 30 miles per gallon
- Charger GT and R/T models receive a full complement of race-bred chassis upgrades and features along with new performance looks, such as a performance hood with air induction, styled fascia, sculpted side sills, decklid spoiler and seats
- New for 2019, Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat and R/T Scat Pack feature standard performance upgrades, including Launch Assist and Line Lock; a new performance grille with dual air inlets; new Launch Control switch on R/T Scat Pack; and Torque Reserve, After-Run Chiller on SRT Hellcat
June 28, 2018 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - Dodge//SRT continues to run at full throttle in the North American large sedan segment, revamping the entire Charger lineup for 2019. As America’s only four-door muscle car and the sales leader in the segment five years running, Dodge continues to charge ahead of its competition with upgrades both inside and out.
New for 2019, Dodge is repositioning the Charger lineup into six distinct, attitude-infused models that offer a range of performance and powertrain options for every modern muscle-car customer. The lineup ranges from the 707-horsepower Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat – the quickest, fastest and most powerful sedan in the world – to the efficient V-6 power of the new Charger GT RWD performance model and the all-wheel-drive capability of the new SXT AWD model.
“Despite a shift toward utility vehicles in the United States over the past decade, the Dodge Charger and Challenger continue to buck the trend,” said Steve Beahm, Head of Passenger Car Brands, Dodge//SRT, Chrysler and FIAT – FCA North America. “Charger and Challenger retail sales have increased 70 percent since 2008, and since the launch of Scat Pack in August 2014, high-performance model sales increased from 4 percent to more than 25 percent. Charger is on track to lead the large car segment in the United States for the fifth straight year in 2018, and we intend to keep that string alive by updating the product to deliver the performance and capability that our customers demand.”
Dealer orders for the 2019 Dodge Charger open in late June 2018 and vehicles are scheduled to arrive in Dodge dealerships in the third quarter of 2018.
Charger SRT Hellcat
The 2019 Charger SRT Hellcat remains the quickest, fastest and most powerful sedan in the world with the supercharged 6.2-liter HEMI® V-8 that delivers 707 horsepower and 650 lb.-ft. of torque. The engine is mated to the quick-shifting TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmission with steering wheel-mounted shift paddles.
New for 2019, the Charger SRT Hellcat features a new performance grille with dual inlets that feed cooler, outside air into the engine compartment. Bolstering the performance is the addition of four race-inspired technologies that come standard on Hellcat, including:
- Launch Assist, which uses wheel speed sensors to watch for driveline-damaging wheel hop at launch and, in milliseconds, modifies the engine torque to regain full grip
- Line Lock, which engages the front brakes to hold the Charger SRT Hellcat stationary, but leaves the rear wheels free for a burnout to heat up and clean the rear tires
- After-Run Chiller, which keeps cooling the supercharger/charge air cooler after the engine is shut off
- Torque Reserve, which closes a bypass valve to prefill the supercharger and manages fuel flow and spark advance to balance engine rpm and torque, generates a reserve of torque that is delivered upon acceleration from a standing stop
New instrument panel badging, a Satin Black painted hood option, available Brass Monkey 20-inch forged wheels and an Alcantara interior package are also new to Charger SRT Hellcat for the 2019 model year.
Charger R/T Scat Pack
The 2019 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack is the most muscle for the dollar, powered by the naturally aspirated 392 HEMI V-8, it delivers 485 horsepower and 475 lb.-ft. of torque, mated to the TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmission, priced less than $40,000.
New for 2019, Launch Assist and Line Lock are now standard features on the R/T Scat Pack for optimum performance at launch from a standstill. A new switch on the dashboard provides quick access to initialize Launch Control, which coordinates the engine, transmission, driveline and suspension for an optimal launch and consistent straight-line acceleration.
R/T Scat Pack features the same new performance grille with dual air inlets as the SRT Hellcat and adds a new Scat Pack bee badge on the decklid, replacing the R/T badge. New Dark Dub Plate instrument panel and Houndstooth cloth performance seat with an added Scat Pack bee logo are also standard. Dual Carbon stripes, a Satin Black-painted hood and Bilstein three-mode Adaptive Damping Suspension are added to the available options.
The 2019 Dodge Charger R/T is powered by the iconic 5.7-liter HEMI V-8, rated at 370 horsepower and 395 lb.-ft. of torque and mated to the standard TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmission.
For 2019, the Charger R/T adopts new performance looks and features standard, including the performance hood, fascia, sculpted side sills, spoiler and seats. Race-bred chassis upgrades, including a standard performance suspension, 2.62 rear axle ratio, enhanced steering, steering wheel with paddle shifters, Dodge Performance Pages with the 8.4-inch Uconnect screen, Houndstooth cloth bolstered performance seats, new Dark Dub Plate instrument panel, and new 20-inch Satin Carbon and Black Noise wheel options.
Available on the R/T is the new Cold Weather Package, which includes heated steering wheel, heated cloth driver and passenger seats.
Charger SXT AWD
The Charger SXT AWD model, new for 2019, is powered by the award-winning Pentastar V-6 engine, rated at 300 horsepower and 264 lb.-ft. of torque, and mated to the TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmission, delivering up to 27 mpg on the highway. The all-wheel-drive system is automatic with an active transfer case and front-axle disconnect, which helps minimize powertrain parasitic losses.
Available options on the SXT AWD are a new Caramel Nappa leather interior, Houndstooth cloth sport seats and the Blacktop Package, which includes a new 19-inch Black Noise wheel. The new Cold Weather Package is also available on the SXT AWD, which includes heated steering wheel and heated cloth driver and passenger seats.
The new Dodge Charger GT RWD performance model is powered by the award-winning Pentastar V-6 engine, rated at 300 horsepower and 264 lb.-ft. of torque and mated to the TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmission.
For 2019, the GT adopts new performance looks and features standard, including performance hood, fascia, sculpted side sills, spoiler and seats. Race-bred chassis upgrades, including a standard performance suspension, 3.07 rear axle ratio, enhanced steering with paddle shifters, Dodge Performance Pages with the 8.4-inch Uconnect screen, Houndstooth cloth bolstered performance seats, new Dark Dub Plate instrument panel, and new 20-inch Satin Carbon and Black Noise wheel options.
The new Cold Weather Package is also available on GT, including heated steering wheel and heated cloth driver and passenger seats.
The powerful, roomy and solid Charger SXT model is powered by the standard Pentastar 3.6-liter V-6, rated at 292 horsepower and 260 lb.-ft. of torque, working with a TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmission. For 2019, Charger SXT includes electronic stability control, remote start, cruise control, electric power steering, capless fuel filler, automatic halogen projector headlamps with LED accents and three 12-volt power outlets.
Available options for SXT include Houndstooth cloth sport seats, a new Caramel Nappa leather interior, the popular Blacktop Package, which includes a new 20-inch Black Noise wheel, and the new Cold Weather Package, which includes heated steering wheel and heated cloth driver and passenger seats.
Charger Exterior Colors
Available exterior colors for all 2019 Dodge Charger models include B5 Blue, Destroyer Grey, F8 Green, Go Mango, Granite Crystal, IndiGo Blue, Maximum Steel, Octane Red, Pitch Black, Plum Crazy, TorRed, Triple Nickel and White Knuckle.