• Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

    Ford Closes Down Three European Plants, Cut 6,200 Jobs



    William Maley

    Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

    October 26, 2012

    This week hasn’t been good for Ford’s factory workers in Europe. The blue oval announced the closure of three plants; two in United Kingdom and one in Belgium.

    We’ll start with Belgium. On Wednesday, Ford announced the closure of the Genk Assembly Plant in Belgium. The Genk Assembly builds the current Mondeo midsize, and the S-MAX and Galaxy MPVs. The closure will affect about 4,300 jobs when it happens in 2014.

    "This (closure) wasn't the plan. Initially we had committed to build the next-generation Mondeo and S-Max and Galaxy at this plant, but the contract has a clause for significant decline in market conditions," says Ford of Europe spokesman Mark Truby to USA Today.

    One of the reasons Genk will be closed down is the lack of capacity. Ford Europe Chairman Stephen Odell told Reuters that the plant was running under 50% capacity. Production will move to a plant in Valencia, Spain.

    "After the announcement there were some rough scenes. There was some pushing and shoving but we managed to calm it down. It was aimed at the management but they left quickly. It was also among each other as people were very angry and frustrated," said Luc Prenen, the head of the ACV union after the announcement was read.

    The closure also affects the production of the next-generation Mondeo (i.e. the new Fusion). According to What Car?, production has been delayed till the end of 2014.

    Next: That’s not all the closures though.


    Yesterday Ford announced two more closures, both in the U.K.

    • Transit van plant in Southampton
    • Dagenham stamping plant

    This will cause another 1,400 jobs to disappear.

    So why is Ford shuttering plants? To conserve as much cash as they can. Losses at Ford’s European branch are estimated to be around $1 to 1.5 billion. Ford says the closure Genk alone will save around $300 to 500 million. Analysts say though the closure could cost around a billion.

    The closure will also cut down on the overcapacity that European automakers are currently dealing with. At the moment, Europe has the capacity to build 22 million vehicles. Last year, about 18 million new vehicles were sold. This year, analysts are forecasting about 14 million vehicles.

    Source: Reuters, 2, USA Today, What Car?, The Detroit News, 2William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

    0


    Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0


    User Feedback


    Glad to see the Clause in the contracts. Yes this sucks for the assembly line worker, but over capacity is a death sentence to an auto company if they are not able to adjust. You just do not build something to keep jobs when no one is buying.

    This is a communist approach, continue to build and eventually people will come back to buy. Does not happen in a proper open economy and with the amount of debt in Europe, shrinking from 18 million to 14 million next year, I would not be surprised to see this figure drop closer to 10-12 million auto's.

    They need to close over capacity and right the ship if the companies are to survive and have the ability to hire people and keep people employed.

    I commend Ford for doing this. Opel and others need to also close over capacity and get righted.

    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites


    Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

    Guest
    You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
    Add a comment...

    ×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor




  • Popular Stories

  • Popular Now

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. gmcbob
      gmcbob
      (42 years old)
  • Similar Content

    • By William Maley
      As more consumers head over to crossovers and SUVs, automakers find themselves making changes to their lineup. Case in point is Ford which is considering dropping some of their nameplates because of the change in demand.
      “Over time, there should be some pruning of the portfolio to support growth in other areas. Clearly we’re going to invest in growing the SUV portfolio. We certainly intend to have a strong car base as well; we don’t know where the market’s going to go. But there will be some pruning over time as there should be in a nameplate and portfolio,” said Joe Hinrichs, Ford president of the Americas.
      Ford's car sales are down 14 percent through November with sedans being the big losers.
      Fiesta: Down 26 percent year-to-date Focus: Down 17 percent YTD Taurus: Down 11 percent YTD Fusion: Down 10 percent YTD Hinrichs didn't say which nameplates could be cut, but mentioned that former popular vehicles such as the Ranger were dropped after demand fell.
      “If you look at our past, there’s been some nameplates that have dropped off and other nameplates have been added. Given where the market is going, the demands for capital investment and the regulatory changes coming at us, we’ll continue to always look at the total portfolio and see where’s segmentation going and where should we be phasing out,” said Hinrichs.
      We think the Taurus is one of the vehicles on the chopping block since sales of it have been falling for the past couple of years.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

      View full article
    • By William Maley
      As more consumers head over to crossovers and SUVs, automakers find themselves making changes to their lineup. Case in point is Ford which is considering dropping some of their nameplates because of the change in demand.
      “Over time, there should be some pruning of the portfolio to support growth in other areas. Clearly we’re going to invest in growing the SUV portfolio. We certainly intend to have a strong car base as well; we don’t know where the market’s going to go. But there will be some pruning over time as there should be in a nameplate and portfolio,” said Joe Hinrichs, Ford president of the Americas.
      Ford's car sales are down 14 percent through November with sedans being the big losers.
      Fiesta: Down 26 percent year-to-date Focus: Down 17 percent YTD Taurus: Down 11 percent YTD Fusion: Down 10 percent YTD Hinrichs didn't say which nameplates could be cut, but mentioned that former popular vehicles such as the Ranger were dropped after demand fell.
      “If you look at our past, there’s been some nameplates that have dropped off and other nameplates have been added. Given where the market is going, the demands for capital investment and the regulatory changes coming at us, we’ll continue to always look at the total portfolio and see where’s segmentation going and where should we be phasing out,” said Hinrichs.
      We think the Taurus is one of the vehicles on the chopping block since sales of it have been falling for the past couple of years.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
    • By William Maley
      When Ford introduced the next-generation Fiesta earlier this week, there was one model missing; the hot ST. This caused a number of people to wonder if there would be a new Fiesta ST. Good news, there will be Fiesta ST coming. But it will be awhile before we see it.
      Dutch publication AutoRAI spoke with Tyrone Johnson, development boss of Ford ST and RS models. Johnson revealed that the Fiesta ST would debut in late 2017, with production beginning a year later. Details about the next Fiesta ST are scarce, but Johnson did hint that the next ST would not see a major increase in power. Instead, the focus will be on improving the fun-factor. We wouldn't be surprised if a six-speed manual remains the only transmission choice, along with the ability to get the ST in three or five-door versions.
      Source: AutoRAI

      View full article
    • By William Maley
      When Ford introduced the next-generation Fiesta earlier this week, there was one model missing; the hot ST. This caused a number of people to wonder if there would be a new Fiesta ST. Good news, there will be Fiesta ST coming. But it will be awhile before we see it.
      Dutch publication AutoRAI spoke with Tyrone Johnson, development boss of Ford ST and RS models. Johnson revealed that the Fiesta ST would debut in late 2017, with production beginning a year later. Details about the next Fiesta ST are scarce, but Johnson did hint that the next ST would not see a major increase in power. Instead, the focus will be on improving the fun-factor. We wouldn't be surprised if a six-speed manual remains the only transmission choice, along with the ability to get the ST in three or five-door versions.
      Source: AutoRAI
    • By William Maley
      FORD TOTAL U.S. SALES UP 5 PERCENT IN NOVEMBER, RETAIL UP 10 PERCENT; F-SERIES, SUVS AND LINCOLN VEHICLES DRIVE GAINS
      Ford Motor Company’s U.S. sales for November  total 197,574 vehicles – up 5 percent versus a year ago – with retail sales up 10 percent and fleet sales down 9 percent Ford F-Series has its best November since 2001 on strong F-150 and Super Duty retail demand; total F-Series sales of 72,089 trucks is up 11 percent Ford brand SUV sales increase 20 percent with 60,079 vehicles sold Lincoln sales total 9,429 vehicles for November, representing a 19 percent increase on strong demand for its newest products, including Lincoln Continental, MKX and MKZ DEARBORN, Mich., Dec. 1, 2016 – Ford Motor Company’s overall sales totaled 197,574 vehicles in November – a 5 percent increase versus last year – driven by a 10 percent retail sales gain with 154,114 vehicles sold.
      Fleet sales of 43,460 vehicles, including daily rental, commercial and government segments, declined 9 percent. This reflects the company’s plan to front-load fleet sales this year.
      F-Series sales increased 11 percent, totaling 72,089 trucks, the truck line’s best November sales since 2001. F-Series retail sales were up 14 percent.  
      “Strong retail sales increases for both F-150 and our all-new Super Duty pickups drove F-Series above the 70,000 vehicle mark – a November threshold we have not seen in 15 years,” said Mark LaNeve, vice president, U.S. Marketing, Sales and Service. “Plus, strong consumer demand for well-equipped Super Dutys helped boost Ford’s overall average transaction prices in November, which are up $1,000 versus a year ago – well ahead of the industry average of $320.”
      Ford brand SUV sales totaled 60,079 vehicles for November – a 20 percent increase. Escape was up 11 percent; Explorer grew 14 percent, Edge climbed 32 percent and Expedition gained 75 percent.  
      Lincoln sales increased 19 percent, with sales totaling 9,429 vehicles. Retail sales were up 20 percent. Lincoln MKZ was up 9 percent, while Lincoln MKX was up 30 percent. Lincoln’s all-new Continental had its best sales month since launch – with 1,419 cars sold. 

  • Recent Status Updates

  • Who's Online (See full list)