Ford Drops Mustang-Inspired EV Crossover Teaser

Yeah, that rear end looks like a Mustang

Yesterday, Ford released the first teaser shot of their upcoming electric crossover with a Mustang-inspired design. The picture shows a dark silhouette of the vehicle with the iconic three-bar taillights of the Mustang. It appears that the roofline is sharply raked, something akin to a BMW X4/X6.

Ford is promising a 300 mile range when the model is introduced in 2020. As we reported last month, the crossover will not be wearing the Mach 1 nameplate.

One interesting tidbit about the upcoming electric crossover. Forbes reports that the original version of the electric crossover was scrapped after CEO Jim Hackett thought it looked to generic. The Mustang-inspired design took about six weeks to finish.

Source: Ford, Forbes

Excited to see what they come up with and if they hit their mark for range, will it be FWD, RWD and if it will have an AWD option.

8 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

It better be bonkers good or Ford will rely on a decent remaining EV credit to get it going, at least in the EV market here.

Well, ya know, up to now in the hundred years of electric cars, "bonkers good" and "EV" have been incompatible with one another.  :smilewide:

In that 100 years no one has really given it a serious try until the most recent 8 or so... and now we have multiple options here or on the way with 250+ ranges.   It's almost as if the technology has advanced recently or something.....

Exactly. I just want an Ev by someone other than Ford.

8 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Exactly. I just want an Ev by someone other than Ford.

Go on down to your local Chevy dealer and get yourself a Bolt.  😂

Edited by ccap41

Go on down to your local Chevy dealer and get yourself a Bolt.  😂

I congratulate you on using humor to mitigate my bad day. Frustrated with budget constraints on a few projects at work and not feeling well. Will take 5 gallons of Nyquil and feel better about Ford in the morning.

The RS and the latest Shelby are enough to soften even my hardened heart...

Have a good day my friend...you just made mine better.

Put the Bolt power train in a LaCrosse or CTS and we'll talk. I wouldn't buy the Bolt even if it was powered by ground up EV haters....

...well...I might... But only as a means to an end.

The problem with the Bolt is the same as the Volt.

Toooo conservative. Wrong size.

Great powertain. But if the Bolt started at $42,000 without incentives/rebates but it was totally comparable to a ‘Nox then they’d have an excellent vehicle. But that’s coming anyways so yay on GM.

my predication is that this Ford will have an existential crisis or sorts. I don’t think Mustang fans want a Mustang SUV as much as a 4 door Mustang. But at the same time I do know that the Edge’s styling on the EcoSport is awful. So what do I know?

Just going to stick this in here: Bolt has slightly more head & leg room, front & rear, than the Model 3, plus more cargo room behind the rear seat than both of the Model 3's trunks combined.

9 hours ago, balthazar said:

Well, it is a SUV/van/car hybrid and the Model 3 is a compact car so... I would assume it would have more space. Did anybody think otherwise?

11 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

I don’t think Mustang fans want a Mustang SUV as much as a 4 door Mustang.

I assume they haven't attempted this because they think it'll cannibalize Mustang sales without really adding too many more overall sales. We'd all like it but let's be honest, few would actually buy it in these SUV/CUV daze.

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

I dunno- not sure what Suav meant exactly by 'wrong size'. Both car and SUV sales are shifting toward smaller & smaller versions (unfortunately). Model 3 is a full 20-in longer than a Bolt.

And I would state that the Bolt and 3 are not really competitors.

would you call a Honda Fit and an ATS competition? The fit probably has far more space for everything and has much tidier dimensions. The only thing they have same is that they both can be had with a gasoline powertrain.

Those two don't even start in a similar price range though.. You should have said like an Edge and ATS if you really wanted to be a smartass. lol

Just as many of us have stated that GM could take Corvette DNA and build a performance SUV, Truck and 4 door car, I believe Ford can and I hope will be successful in building a Mustang family of auto's. Nothing wrong with this as you have the 2 door mustang. Now time for the 4 door SUV Clydesdale and the 4 door car Arabian horses.

11 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

No I wouldn't, but no one specifically buys a fit OR an ATS because they're gasoline-fueled.

On 9/11/2018 at 11:09 AM, frogger said:

Holy F get some new blood in here stat.

The world seems to be in a deepening existential crisis of sorts...I find solace in returning to a 1950's that never was sort of like a few others...here and elsewhere.

On 9/11/2018 at 12:12 PM, dfelt said:

....but not in my driveway.

On 9/10/2018 at 9:57 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

...well...I might... But only as a means to an end.

The Bolt is not exactly stylin...Even the Aveo looks sexy by comparison.

5 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

The Bolt is not exactly stylin...Even the Aveo looks sexy by comparison.

All I'm saying is... if electric is such a panacea then looks should be inconsequential.  Srsly.

On 9/10/2018 at 9:57 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

Yes but think of it this way.  You'd have plenty of fuel because even though I seem to have taken on the mantel in here, I am certainly not alone out here in the REAL WORLD there, Scarpaci.

Edited by ocnblu

I don't think there are many EV haters. Just not enough EV options to buy.

I look at it from another angle entirely. I want people to have personal freedom...and personal cars make people more free imho.

Given a finite amount of fossil fuel on the planet...

Simply put; EVs are not yet equatable to IC vehicles- to some degree in reality, to a LARGE degree in perception. The vast majority of consumers are NOT willing to put themselves in an EV currently (choices aside). That may and likely will change, but it'll take decades to become mainstream (IE; 25% of the new vehicle market). Personally, I'm not seeing one for me while I'm still working.

On 9/13/2018 at 11:47 AM, balthazar said:

People are not willing to put themselves into the EVs that are currently available.  Outside of Tesla, most are downright ugly or "nerdy".  Both the Leaf and the Bolt are perfectly find daily drivers, the latter with more range of course, but they look dorky.  The more conventional looking EVs didn't have enough range to be useful.... thus the poor sales of the eGolf and Focus Electric.

If Chevy made a crossover sized between the Trax and Equinox, made it look like a baby Traverse, gave it enough battery to hit 250+ miles, and priced it reasonably.... we'd be having a very different conversation about EVs.

If Chrysler had made the Pacifica a crossover instead of a Minivan, Chrysler would probably be back on the map with the PHEV version.

Why the non-Tesla manufacturers choose to do what they do with EVs is beyond me. Why make something with a great new powertrain and then make it intentionally ugly?!?

That agrees with my post, in essence; not yet equatable. For a number of reasons.
    There are examples we can draw a tighter picture of. Chrysler Pacifica, arguably one of the most appealing minivan designs ever. Only a grille change between the gas & hybrid model- so no appearance penalty. Hybrid goes 33 miles on pure E and offers a total range of 566 miles. Pretty damned good there- so that's not an issue.
    Problem is, the gas Pacifica starts @ $27K and the hybrid starts at $40K (yea- currently you can slice $7500 off your taxes to sort of somewhat offset that). That's NOT equatable in the least. It's not that people don't want to drive one per say, it's that it's not equatable.

The market's response? Gas Pacifica August sales : 9167. Pretty great for the segment. Hybrid Pacifica August sales : 654. 7% - far far above the segment average, but not what I'm calling 'equatable'. Now if the hybrid was, let's say it started at $31K and sales in August were 2500 (27%) - that's be a different story.

They are not equatable because the range isn't there, and the infrastructure isn't there, and the recharge time is WAY off a conventional vehicle.  Not to mention the emotional, visceral, aural and tactile reasons they'll NEVER be equatable.

• Downvote 3

On 9/15/2018 at 11:04 AM, balthazar said:

Comparing base Pacifica to hyrbid isn't a fair fight. Hybrid is very well equipped.

To be fair, the gas Pacifica offers a 'base' model at the $27K, there's also a Touring Plus at $32.5K. Hybrid Touring Plus starts at $40K.

Is there $7500 worth of additional equipment on the hybrid? I'm not going to slog thru the build & price menus, I would seriously doubt there would be that much difference in the same model & trim (merely a different powertrain). I would hazard to guess that $7500 is all powertrain cost.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:04 AM, balthazar said:

And it is still a mini-van. Minivans, by their very nature are marketed to families and those families tend to be even more focused on cost and value.   I stand by my statement that not only the Pacifica, but Pacifica Hybrid would have sold better as a crossover instead of a Minivan.  Take my own situation.... I like the Pacifica, by all measures it is top of the class, the Hybrid is fantastic and a lot faster than any minivan has any business being.

I can't sell it at home because it's a minivan and not a crossover. If it looked like a Durango or a Traverse, it would be no problem.  Being a crossover doesn't add much, if any, cost.  It's even becoming fashionable now to make crossovers that don't even have AWD. (PT Cruiser, HHR, Soul, Nissan Kicks, Kia Niro), so a big crossover without AWD isn't even that big a deal

Effectively, it would be like if Chevy made a plug-in hybrid Impala, but only built it as a traditional looking wagon, and then everyone is shocked when it doesn't sell.   Or like Cadillac making its original plug-in hybrid a very small coupe with only 2 seats useable by adults.

🤣

🤣

I don't get it.... why do they do it?  The ELR was a excellent car for what it was, but a tiny two-seater was never going to sell in huge numbers particularly at that price.  If I lived a different life, I would totally rock and ELR, but it's pretty much limited to wealthy single people in Miami who also have an Escalade to drive.

Build an Equinox or Envision or Acadia with a Bolt powertrain and it won't be such a flop.

It made no sense to me either. The idea was great but wasn't it priced at like 75k or something absurd? I mean how many people in the world are looking to spend 75k on a 2-seater, sporty looking but not sporty driving, car? That's such a tiny market and hence why it didn't sell.

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

Which is my point for nearly all of the PHEVs.  The only ones that are "normal" are the Volvos, the Fusion Energi and the Kia Niro.  Everything else is an odd-ball (ELR, ugly Pruis Prime) or in a segment that doesn't fit well for the costs involved (compact car - Volt, Minivan - Pacifica).

Now the Fusion Energi I see a decent number of, and the hybrid is very numerous. Unfortunately, it is suffering the same fate as all other cars at Ford, first being left to wither on the vine with insufficient updates and then finally being killed off.

With little demonstrable return on investment, is it any wonder so many hybrids of all stripes have been killed off?

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Should the same be said for Pontiac? Olds?

• Downvote 1

Undeniable... but no one challenged that statement.

If & when OEMs can get pure EV vehicles on a price parity with their same brand/type counterparts, only then would I expect a notably uptick in EV numbers. For audi to offer a vehicle slotting perceptively slightly below a Q5 at close to double the price is all but guaranteeing miserable comparative sales.
    Then again, audi seems to have no problem with half their catalog performing at miserable sales levels.

13 hours ago, balthazar said:

Undeniable... but no one challenged that statement.

But it is the question I am asking.  Why do manufacturers only make EVs and PHEVs in niche vehicles?  Why not smack in the middle of the hottest market?  Minivans are borderline dead, so, as excellent as the Pacifica is, why chose that product to make into a PHEV?  Why not a new Journey or new Commander?

Don't put it into a wagon and then cry about it not selling.

They will also never be priced the same because they will always manage to roll in the potential savings as part of the price hike(for their profits).

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

To go with this, Look at any form of solar panels for your . battery packs for your house, or the geothermal heating/cooling for a house and they all explain the savings and break even point and that's why they price them "equivalent to regular X"

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Tesla does this with their price quotes.... it is "only" $1100" a month after factoring in savings from not buying gas.

It appears that Ford just told us what their EV CUV inspired by the Mustang will be called,

Mache E or Mach-E

Both according to the story at Road/Show is that Ford just filed trademarks for these two. Course no comment from Ford, but it would tend to fall inline with their thoughts on an EV Mach 1 which Mustang faithful were up in arms about. So instead, leave Mach 1 to a future Mustang and call the EV CUV "Mach E" :D

Jim Hackett's tenure as Ford CEO will be coming to a close on October 1st as he will retire from the position. His replacement is Jim Farley, currently Ford's Chief Operating Officer, a role he took on at the beginning of this year. In a press release, Ford said the two will be working together over the next two months on the transition. Hackett will stay on as "special advisor" for some time after.
      “I am very grateful to Jim Hackett for all he has done to modernize Ford and prepare us to compete and win in the future. Our new product vision – led by the Mustang Mach-E, new F-150 and Bronco family – is taking shape. We now have compelling plans for electric and autonomous vehicles, as well as full vehicle connectivity. And we are becoming much more nimble, which was apparent when we quickly mobilized to make life-saving equipment at the outset of the pandemic,” said Ford executive chairman, Bill Ford.
      Hackett became Ford's CEO in 2017 after the ousting of then CEO Mark Fields. His short tenure brought forth some major and controversial decisions such as Ford killing off most of their passenger car nameplates to focus on trucks and utility vehicles; spending $11 billion in electric vehicles by 2022, and the introductions of the Mach-E, 2021 F-150, and Bronco. He has also dealt with a lot frustration from various groups as The Detroit News outlines,
      Hackett admitted that his tenure did cause a fair amount of friction, but said his efforts are starting to show.
      "I aimed for moving ahead versus just moving fast. Could we aim for a longer-arc kind of reward. In this case, for the three years it takes to get products to market, you're starting to see the fruits of our labor."
      Farley, who has been with Ford since 2007, knows he has a tough road ahead. Aside from realizing the various paths laid out by Hackett, he also has to deal with the issues of the COVID-19 pandemic and hopefully launch two of Ford's key product without any issues.
      Source: Ford
      Press Release is on Page 2

FORD ANNOUNCES JIM HACKETT TO RETIRE AS PRESIDENT AND CEO; JIM FARLEY TO SUCCEED HACKETT AS COMPANY CONTINUES TRANSFORMATION
      Jim Hackett, who has led Ford Motor Company’s transformation since 2017 as president and CEO, has elected to retire from the company Jim Farley, currently chief operating officer, becomes president and CEO of Ford effective Oct. 1. He was also elected to the Ford board of directors. He will work closely with Jim Hackett on the transition over the next two months Seamless CEO transition underscores strength of Ford’s leadership team, succession planning, and company progress over the past three years, Executive Chairman Bill Ford says DEARBORN, Mich., Aug. 4, 2020 – Ford Motor Company today announced that Jim Hackett, who has led the company’s transformation since 2017, plans to retire from the company. Jim Farley has been named the company’s new president and CEO and will join the board of directors, effective Oct. 1.
      Hackett, 65, and Farley, 58, will work together on a smooth leadership transition over the next two months.
      Under Hackett, Ford moved aggressively into the new era of smart vehicles and drove a deeper focus on customers’ wants and needs. At the same time, Ford improved the fitness of the base business – restructuring operations, invigorating the product portfolio and reducing bureaucracy.
      “I am very grateful to Jim Hackett for all he has done to modernize Ford and prepare us to compete and win in the future,” said Bill Ford, Ford’s executive chairman. “Our new product vision – led by the Mustang Mach-E, new F-150 and Bronco family – is taking shape. We now have compelling plans for electric and autonomous vehicles, as well as full vehicle connectivity. And we are becoming much more nimble, which was apparent when we quickly mobilized to make life-saving equipment at the outset of the pandemic.”
      Farley, an automotive leader with deep global experience and a successful track record, collaborated with Hackett over the past three years to develop and execute Ford’s Creating Tomorrow Together plan to transform Ford into a higher-growth, higher-margin business.
      “Jim Farley matches an innate feel for cars and customers with great instincts for the future and the new technologies that are changing our industry,” Bill Ford said. “Jim’s passion for great vehicles and his intense drive for results are well known, and I have also seen him develop into a transformational leader with the determination and foresight to help Ford thrive into the future.”
      Farley joined Ford in 2007 as global head of Marketing and Sales and went on to lead Lincoln, Ford South America, Ford of Europe and all Ford global markets in successive roles. In April 2019, Farley was chosen to lead Ford’s New Businesses, Technology & Strategy team, helping the company determine how to capitalize on powerful forces reshaping the industry – such as software platforms, connectivity, AI, automation and new forms of propulsion. He was named chief operating officer in February of this year.
      Hackett, who will continue as a special advisor to Ford through March of 2021, said the time is right to pass the mantle of leadership to Jim Farley.
      “My goal when I took on the CEO role was to prepare Ford to win in the future,” Hackett said. “The hardest thing for a proud, long-lived company to do is change to meet the challenges of the world it’s entering rather than the world it has known. I’m very proud of how far we have come in creating a modern Ford and I am very optimistic about the future.
      “I have worked side-by-side with Jim Farley for the past three years and have the greatest confidence in him as a person and a leader,” Hackett said. “He has been instrumental in crafting our new product portfolio and redesigning our businesses around the world. He is also a change agent with a deep understanding of how to lead Ford in this new era defined by smart vehicles in a smart world.”
      Said Farley: “I love Ford and I am honored by the opportunity to serve and create value for Ford’s employees, customers, dealers, communities and all of our stakeholders. Jim Hackett has laid the foundation for a really vibrant future and we have made tremendous progress in the past three years. I am so excited to work together with the whole Ford team to realize the full potential of this great company in a new era.”

Source: Ford
      Press Release is on Page 2

During a recent fireside chat with Bank of America, Ford teased a new 'Whitespace' product due in the 2021MY. What could that product be? Muscle Cars & Trucks speculates this may be a smaller pickup truck.
      We've been hearing rumblings about this since 2018 when Automobile Magazine first brought this to light. This truck would be the replacement for the Brazilian market Courier, last sold in 2013. It would be based on the C2 platform that underpinned at the time the new Focus for markets outside of the U.S. Fuel would be added to the fire a year later when Jim Farley, Ford's president of global markets dropped this,
      Since then, a trademark filing for Maverick by Ford has appeared, possibly giving us a name for this new model. Plus, dealers were shown this model earlier this year where it earned an enthusiastic reception.
      This model could have a starting price of around $20,000 or so when it launches. Stay tuned.
      Source: Muscle Cars & Trucks

Source: Muscle Cars & Trucks
      The 2021 Ford Bronco shows how serious the automaker is to creating a real threat to the Jeep Wrangler. With two and four-door versions, seven different trims, a number of off-road features, and other goodies, there is a lot to digest. So let us dive in.
      It Certainly Looks the Part
      Ford's designers leaned heavily on the first-generation (1963-1977) Bronco as inspiration for the new model. The boxy profile is here, as is the "BRONCO" front grille. Unlike Broncos of the past, Ford is offering two and four-door versions. Before you ask, the doors are removable. While being slightly heavier than the Wrangler, the Bronco's doors are frameless that not only makes them more compact to store, but also makes it feel more like a convertible. If you're wondering about the side-view mirrors, Ford moved them from the doors to the front cowl.
      Which brings us to the Bronco's tops. The two-door version will only come with a hardtop, while the four-door comes with both a soft and hardtop. Ford claims that removing the top on the Bronco will be easier and quicker than on the Wrangler, we can't wait to see that claim be put to the test.
      One item that the Bronco doesn't have is the ability for the front windshield to fold down like on the Wrangler. Roadshow asked Ford officials and this is what they wrote,
      Moving inside, the Bronco leans more on being purposeful and plain. There are some clever touches such as grab handles molded into the dash, a set of dedicated buttons on top of the dash for various off-road features, and built-in drains in the floor to wash out the interior. Ford's latest infotainment system, SYNC 4 will come standard in the Bronco - either in 8 or 12-inch touchscreen.
      Turbo Power!
      Ford is going all-in on turbocharged power for the new Bronco. The base engine is the 2.3 EcoBoost four-cylinder packing 270 horsepower and 310 pound-feet of torque. This will come standard with a seven-speed manual. Before you start thinking this is similar to what you'll find in a last-generation Chevrolet Corvette or Porsche 911, the seventh-gear acts a crawler gear. With the upgraded 4x4 system, it can achieve a 95:1 crawl ratio for peak climbing prowess. A ten-speed automatic is optional.
      Next step up is the 2.7L EcoBoost with 310 horsepower and 400 pound-feet of torque. This is paired solely with the ten-speed automatic.
      Both engines have four-wheel drive as standard - in this case a part-time system with a two-speed, shift-on-the-fly electronic transfer case. Optional is a full-time system with a 4-Auto setting.
      GOAT Doesn't Mean "Greatest of All Time" for Bronco
      If you checked our Bronco Sport story from last night, you may have seen something called GOAT. This in Bronco terms means "Goes Over Any Type of Terrain" - i.e. seven different drive modes. Those modes are,
      Normal Eco Sport Slippery Sand Baja Mud/Ruts Rock Crawl There is also hill-descent control and Trail Control, the latter being an off-road cruise control system.
      How About that Suspension?
      Up front, the Bronco utilizes a independent suspension setup with twin-A control arms and coilovers. The back utilizes a live axle with trailing links and coil-over springs. On certain versions, a electro-hydraulically actuated sway bar can be disconnected while under load. It will automatically reconnect at speeds above 20 mph.
      If you want a slightly deeper dive into the Bronco's suspension, I highly recommend Dan Edmunds' piece on Autoblog.
      How Much and When I Can Get One?
      First the bad news, the 2021 Ford Bronco will not be available at dealers until next spring. This might be a good thing considering Ford's previous launches haven't gone over so well (see Explorer). As for pricing, the base two-door will begin at $29,995. The four-door kicks off at $34,695. Prices include a $1,495 destination charge.
      The rest of the lineup is as followed (two-door, four-door),
      Big Bend: $34,880, $37,375 Black Diamond: $37,545, $40,040 Outer Banks: $40,450, $42,945 Badlands: $43,590, $46,085 Wildtrak: $50,370, $52,865 First Edition: $60,800, $64,995 (Author's Note: As of this morning, Ford has announced that all First Editions of the Bronco have sold out.)
      Car and Driver has a good piece breaking down each trim and what comes equipped.
      As we mentioned in our Bronco Sport story, you can put a reservation on a 2021 Bronco with a $100 deposit. Hopefully, Ford's servers are up to the task as they were struggling last night.
      Source: Ford
      Press Release is on Page 2

ALL-NEW 2021 BRONCO TWO-DOOR AND FIRST-EVER FOUR-DOOR MODELS: BUILT WILD SUVS WITH THRILLING 4X4 CAPABILITY, READY FOR FUN
      Built Wild™: Ford Bronco returns as the flagship of a new all-4x4 family of rugged SUVs, with a classic two-door and a first-ever four-door; both are engineered with Built Wild Extreme Durability Testing, Capability and Innovative Design for segment-leading 4x4 capability, long-term off-road performance and dependability Thrilling: Bronco features powerful EcoBoost® engines with segment-exclusive 7-speed manual transmission and available 35-inch tires; Bronco excels with available best-in-class 94.75:1 crawl ratio, ground clearance, suspension travel and water fording capabilities, plus breakover and departure angles Ready for fun: Bronco two-door and four-door models can get you to the trails fast with quick-release stowable roof panels and doors on select versions; available cutting-edge off-road drive technologies and segment-exclusive digital trail mapping allow owners to easily plan, record and share their experiences via an all-in-one app Infinitely customizable: Bronco launches with more than 200 factory-backed aftermarket accessories for more capability, personalization and style, and with a base MSRP of $29,995; 2021 Bronco two- and four-door SUVs can be reserved at ford.com starting today for $100 DEARBORN, Mich., July 13, 2020 – Ford today unveils the 2021 Bronco – including a classic two-door and first-ever four-door – the flagship of an all-new family of rugged off-road vehicles.
      The all-4x4 Bronco brand is Built Wild™ and ready to deliver thrilling experiences with its heritage-inspired style, engineering and smart off-road technology, plus innovative features to help outdoor enthusiasts create adventures in the most remote corners of the world.
      “We created the Bronco family to elevate every aspect of off-road adventure and equipped them with class-leading chassis hardware and exclusive technologies to raise the bar in the rugged 4x4 segment and take people further into the wild,” said Jim Farley, Ford chief operating officer. “They’re built with the toughness of an F-Series truck and performance spirit of Mustang – and come wrapped in one of the most stunning and functional off-road designs that’s true to the original Bronco design DNA.”
      The all-new Bronco re-enters the scene with an all-4x4 lineup with production beginning in early 2021 and first models arriving in Ford dealerships next spring. Bronco owners can choose from an extensive lineup of more than 200 factory-backed accessories for maximum personalization, enabling dealers to provide outfitting-on-demand for each customer’s individual adventure needs.
      Built Wild 4x4 confidence

Just like the first-generation Bronco, nicknamed G.O.A.T., the mission of the all-new 2021 Bronco is to deliver maximum 4x4 go-anywhere, anytime capability and confidence. Bronco incorporates off-road mapping and drive technologies to give novice adventurers as much fun as hard-core off-road experts, while its Built Wild durability makes for lasting performance in the harshest of conditions for generations to come.
      “Bronco’s advanced four-wheel-drive technology is at the core of its off-road capabilities, and at the heart of it all is Bronco’s exclusive Terrain Management System™ with G.O.A.T. Modes™ that is designed to help drivers better navigate any type of terrain,” said Mark Grueber, Bronco consumer marketing manager.
      Up to seven driver-selectable modes are offered including Normal, Eco, Sport, Slippery and Sand, with Baja, Mud/Ruts and Rock Crawl for off-road driving.
      Two 4x4 systems are offered on all Bronco models, a base setup and advanced 4x4. The base system utilizes a two-speed electronic shift-on-the-fly transfer case, while the optional advanced system features a two-speed electromechanical transfer case that adds an auto mode for on-demand engagement to select between 2H and 4H. Power is distributed to a Dana™ 44 AdvanTEK® solid rear axle and Dana AdvanTEK independent front differential unit – both with available Spicer® Performa-TraK™ electronic locking differentials for improved traction over rough terrain.
      Available segment-first Trail Toolbox gives Bronco owners a suite of exclusive technologies to elevate their off-road experience. This includes Trail Control™ – cruise control for low-speed trail driving, while Trail Turn Assist tightens off-road turning radiuses through torque vectoring, and the innovative Trail One-Pedal Drive acceleration/braking control makes for more precise and confident slow-mode rock crawling.
      Segment-leading levels of off-road capability are possible thanks to Bronco’s available best-in-class 11.6-inch ground clearance, maximum 29-degree breakover angle and 37.2-degree departure angle, plus best-in-class water fording capability of up to 33.5 inches. Off-road capability is further reinforced by exposed tow hooks in the front and rear and available heavy-duty modular steel bumpers with integrated Ford Performance accessory winch mount.
      Bronco’s strategically placed steel shields protect critical hardware. Higher-capability models get an available front bash plate, plus shields for the engine, transmission, transfer case and fuel tank. For those taking on the roughest rocky terrain, Bronco’s available side rock rails are strong enough to support the weight of each side of the vehicle.
      “Bronco two- and four-door models leverage the company’s Built Ford Tough durability and performance testing and take it even further off-road with Built Wild Extreme Durability Testing in the harshest possible environments, including the brutal trails of the King of the Hammers off-road competition,” said Dave Pericak, director, Ford enterprise product line management, Icons.
      Thrilling performance borne of Bronco DNA
      Thanks to Bronco’s legendary Baja racing DNA, each model brings forth a thrilling off-road experience and delivers it with modern, heritage-inspired style. It all began in a Ford design studio with a life-size digital scan of a first-generation model that served to influence the proportions and design of the all-new Bronco for maximum off-road capability and performance.
      “Similar to the first-generation model, Bronco’s square proportions, short overhangs and wide stance are optimized for off-road adventure,” said Paul Wraith, Bronco chief designer. “The side profile features a flat, no-nonsense surface with clear-cut edges and robustly flared fenders. Large, open wheel wells are a modular design with a quick-release attachment for simple customization.
      All-new Bronco architecture for two- and four-door models is based on a fully boxed, high-strength steel chassis that delivers available best-in-class suspension travel – 17 percent more both front and rear over the closest competitor to thrive in rugged environments.
      To deliver thrilling high-speed off-roading and overall driving performance, every Bronco comes with an independent front suspension for improved control, confidence and comfort. At the rear, a rugged solid axle design featuring coil springs with five locating links delivers both strength and off-road control. Long-travel position-sensitive Bilstein® dampers with end-stop control valves at every corner are available for added off-road durability and reduced harshness.
      An available segment-exclusive semi-active hydraulic stabilizer bar disconnect design provides maximum articulation and increased ramp angle index for off-camber terrain. This innovative system bests competitors by disconnecting during articulation; it can reconnect under all conditions to improve steering and stability at higher speeds.
      Segment-first 35-inch off-road tires direct from the factory are available on every trim level of two- and four-door Bronco, while available segment-first beadlock-capable wheels allow customers to elevate off-road capability, regardless of price point.
      “Race-bred EcoBoost® engines and our segment-first 7-speed manual and available 10-speed automatic transmissions give the all-new Bronco the optimal combination of power, torque and gear ranges to perform in a wide variety of terrains and uses,” said Pericak.
      Best-in-class projected gasoline-powered horsepower and torque is available with the 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6 engine, which is projected to produce 310 horsepower and 400 lb.-ft. of torque, while the 2.3-liter EcoBoost is targeted to deliver best-in-class four-cylinder torque of 310 lb.-ft. with an expected 270 horsepower.
      For maximum low-speed rock-climbing capability, a segment-first 7-speed (6+1) manual transmission paired with the available advanced 4x4 system with automatic on-demand engagement generates a class-leading available crawler-gear ratio of 94.75:1. An available segment-first SelectShift® 10-speed automatic transmission makes for easier driving on- and off-road, while offering a maximum 67.8:1 crawl ratio with the available advanced 4x4 transfer case.
      Ready to head effortlessly into the wild
      Both Bronco two- and four-door models make the open-air experience quick, easy and fun. Two-door models come with a standard three-section roof system – left and right front sections and a rear section – molded-in color and an available premium painted modular top with four sections that adds a removable panel over the rear seats and cargo area. Four-door models have four removable roof sections – left and right front panels, a full-width center panel and a rear section. Roof panels on all models can be removed by one person by unlocking the latches from the interior. First-row panels stow away onboard on two-door models.
      All modular hardtops have rear quarter windows that are removable in three easy steps – snap, push and lift away in a fraction of the time it takes for competitors – without removing the roof panels. By locating the sportbar behind the second row, both Bronco two- and four-door models offer the largest overall open-top view in its class to take in the sunshine or to gaze at the stars at night.
      A cloth soft top, standard on four-door models, provides easy access to the open air and a unique tilt-up function for quick access to the rear cargo area. For customers who don’t want to choose between a soft or hardtop, the four-door model can be optioned with both.
      Every Bronco comes with class-exclusive frameless doors that make them easier to remove than what competitors offer. On four-door Bronco models, all four doors can be stored onboard with protective door bags. Exclusive cowl-mounted mirrors maintain sideview visibility when the doors are removed. Trail sights on the front fenders also serve as tie-downs, reminiscent of the first-generation Bronco, have a 150-pound capacity for securing longer items like canoes.
      High-tech interior designed for the outdoors
      Inside, all Bronco models are purpose-built and ready for action. The instrument panel is inspired by the first-generation model, with gauges and controls clearly visible and intuitive. Colors and materials are inspired by natural palettes and outdoor gear. With off-road functionality paramount, materials are tough and rugged.
      A multifunction color LCD instrument panel is front and center with the transmission shifter/selector and G.O.A.T. Modes controller in the center console. Available grab handles are integrated into the modular instrument panel and center console, while available MOLLE hooks are mounted in the seatbacks. Attachment points are built into the instrument panel to mount a bring-your-own-device rack, with 12-volt power connections to easily mount cameras, navigation units, phones or other devices.
      Further setting Bronco ahead of the off-road competition is an available segment-exclusive 12-inch SYNC® 4 system with over-the-air updates and seamless integration to the FordPass Performance app with off-road navigation – a Bronco class-exclusive feature that allows owners to easily plan, navigate and share their off-road adventures. The SYNC system also displays the available 360-degree camera system with class-exclusive off-road spotter views to provide additional visibility in technical pursuits such as rock crawling.
      Bronco’s advanced topographic trail maps and more than 1,000 curated trail maps are powered by class-exclusive trail content from NeoTreks’ AccuTerra® Maps, Trails Offroad trail guides and FunTreks trail guides.
      “The trail mapping system available on Bronco is truly a game-changer in the off-road community,” said Grueber. “It works online or off on either of the navigation-capable 8- or 12-inch SYNC systems, allowing users to select one of hundreds of available curated trail maps to map out and then track, capture and share their adventures with others.”
      To make post-adventure cleanups simple, fast and painless, select Bronco models come with washable rubberized floors with integrated drains and marine-grade vinyl seating surfaces that resist mildew. Instrument panel surfaces are wipeable, with seamless silicone rubber on the dash-mounted hero switches, while rubber touchpoints protect against dirt and water. Six available upfitter switches mounted overhead are silicone-sealed to protect against the elements and to make customization easy, with pre-wired leads to key accessory points.
      A modern high-strength steel roll cage with integrated side curtain airbags in the upper structure and seats helps protect passengers from side impacts and complements driver and front passenger airbags. Available Ford Co-Pilot360™ driver-assist technologies plus standard AdvanceTrac® with Roll Stability Control™ and Trailer Sway Control help instill driver confidence.
      Equipment series redefine customization
      An all-new experiential-based equipment series provides unique flexibility to align capability with the adventure interests of each customer. Seven unique Bronco series are offered, with matched color and trim combinations. When combined with four content packages, numerous available options, 11 color choices and more than 200 dealer-installable accessories, personalizing an all-new Bronco SUV has never been easier.
      Series range from a base Bronco, a no-frills SUV for those who want to customize their own, to Big Bend™, Black Diamond™ and Outer Banks™ with a variety of options and colors, topping out with Wildtrak™ and Badlands™ for more extreme off-road adventuring. A limited-production First Edition™ will be offered at launch.
      Reservations begin today

As with the five generations before it, the all-new 2021 Bronco two-door and four-door models will be built at Michigan Assembly Plant in Wayne, Michigan. More detailed information, including vehicle specs, accessories and full pricing and options, will be provided closer to launch. MSRP for the base two-door Bronco is $29,995, including $1,495 destination and delivery. Reservations for Bronco two- and four-door models can be made for $100 beginning at 8 p.m. EDT today at ford.com.

1. Raybob9289