Jump to content
  • Welcome Car and Truck lover!

    Founded in 2001, CheersandGears.com is one of the oldest continuously running automotive enthusiast communities on the net. 

    Sign up is free and easy, come join the fun!

  • William Maley
    William Maley

    Two Reasons As To Why the Civic Si Only Produces 205 HP

    Honda explains why the new Civic Si only produces 205 horsepower

    The echo of a sad trombone could be heard when Honda announced that the new Civic Si would only produce 205 horsepower from a turbocharged 1.5L four-cylinder. Fans were hoping for a bit more power and Honda's engineers say there is more power on tap. But there are two key reasons as to why the Japanese automaker did this.

    The engineers said "you can tune more power into it, but all of that takes away from the durability of the engine," said Rob Keough, senior product planner on the Civic to Automotive News.

    "Honda likes to build their engines to last hundreds of thousands of miles, so they're working toward that target."

    The other reason comes down to price. Honda wanted to keep the Si affordable while adding some impressive performance parts such as a limited-slip differential and adaptive suspension.

    "The Si has always been in the [price] range that it's in. We wanted it to be attainable and affordable, so our target for Si was really to come in at this price point with this performance level," said Keough.

    For example, if Honda was to use a detuned version of the turbo 2.0L found in the Civic Type R, that would push the price to nearly $30,000.

    Keough didn't rule out the possibility of there being a variant between the Si and Type R that would offer a bit more power. He also didn't rule out using a detuned Type R motor for this model.

    "There's maybe other configurations and things that they can do with this motor," said Keough.

    We have a possible name for this possible model, Civic SiR.

    Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)


    Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

    User Feedback




    For a front drive small car, that is enough for the Si.  Especially since they make a Civic R with 300 hp.  And i makes sense to keep the Is cheap enough for people to buy it without pricing out their customer base.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

    There is no replacement for displacement..... they have other engines out there, they should have turboed them. 

    Ohhhhhhhhh absolutely! This car does not even rate a test drive IMHO.

    53 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

    For a front drive small car, that is enough for the Si.  Especially since they make a Civic R with 300 hp.  And i makes sense to keep the Is cheap enough for people to buy it without pricing out their customer base.

    WRX, GTI, Ecoboost Mustang, ST twins, BRZ, Miata, Fiat 124 all better than the SI in so many ways!

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Power wise it is disappointing. Pricing is very competitive but on paper, it just doesn't seem like it will be competitive against the Golf GTI and Focus ST. We shall see.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    8 hours ago, Anthony Fongaro said:

    Power wise it is disappointing. Pricing is very competitive but on paper, it just doesn't seem like it will be competitive against the Golf GTI and Focus ST. We shall see.

    As a guy shopping cars in this category, it really is not...

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    12 hours ago, smk4565 said:

    For a front drive small car, that is enough for the Si.  Especially since they make a Civic R with 300 hp.  And i makes sense to keep the Is cheap enough for people to buy it without pricing out their customer base.

    As some one who is always blowing the MB horn and saying it has to have the most powerful engines in every class at every model. Your comment makes no sense for the first two sentences.

    Now the 3rd sentence is what you should have started off with.

    It makes sense to keep it priced where they have it for their customer base of which many will not be looking at the competition nor at the Horsepower. Yet for those that do, this car is a failure in the competition of this class.

    I get the feeling that Honda Marketing really does not research their competition very well nor cares too. It is as if they are happy with just their loyal car fans who will follow what ever weak attempt they make.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, dfelt said:

    I get the feeling that Honda Marketing really does not research their competition very well nor cares too. It is as if they are happy with just their loyal car fans who will follow what ever weak attempt they make.

    People are catching up to the idea that Honda is also resting on their laurels. perhaps the only Asian brand that isn't is Subaru, with Mazda a distant second.  Mazda is very small and has a much smaller R and D budget...

    And even then Subaru has a VERY limited product lineup compared to other brands. No Luxury lineup...no trucks...no pure high powered sports cars like the Corvette or Shelby Mustang...No large heavy duty SUV's...no really small sub compacts...no leading hybrid tech...no pure electrics...and the list goes on.

    It is much easier to keep a very small product lineup up to date than a very broad one like GM and Ford have....or even VW, with Porsche, Bugatti, Bentley, Skoda, VW, Seat, ....

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    205 HP, 6 speed manuial, and weighs roughly 2900 pounds and a real limited slip.

    The ST may have 252 HP, but is also nearly 3300 pounds.  It's straight-line performance has always been kinda lackluster for the HP rating.  (My Beetle Turbo can do the same 6.3 0-60 with 200HP and 3000 pounds as C&D's last ST roadtest). 

     

    GTi is 220 HP, but 3100-3200 pounds.Though, it is certainly underrated I am sure. 

     

    there is also the price  The SI runs thousands less than those competitors and also comes with some very nice features such as the larger touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android auto, the blindspot camera in the passenger mirror, the limited slip, the adjustable dampers, etc, etc.  It is a hell of a deal for under 25k. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    29 minutes ago, Stew said:

    205 HP, 6 speed manuial, and weighs roughly 2900 pounds and a real limited slip.

    The ST may have 252 HP, but is also nearly 3300 pounds.  It's straight-line performance has always been kinda lackluster for the HP rating.  (My Beetle Turbo can do the same 6.3 0-60 with 200HP and 3000 pounds as C&D's last ST roadtest). 

     

    GTi is 220 HP, but 3100-3200 pounds.Though, it is certainly underrated I am sure. 

     

    there is also the price  The SI runs thousands less than those competitors and also comes with some very nice features such as the larger touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android auto, the blindspot camera in the passenger mirror, the limited slip, the adjustable dampers, etc, etc.  It is a hell of a deal for under 25k. 

    I will agree it is a hell of a deal, but I would still choose almost any of its direct competitors before I would pick the Honda.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Well, no duh.

    This car isn't leaving a whole lot on the table, I can promise you that.

    Sounds to me like this Si should have been the Sport, and they should have given the Si a detuned 2.0T and dual clutch trans from Acura.

     

     

    33 minutes ago, Stew said:

    205 HP, 6 speed manuial, and weighs roughly 2900 pounds and a real limited slip.

    The ST may have 252 HP, but is also nearly 3300 pounds.  It's straight-line performance has always been kinda lackluster for the HP rating.  (My Beetle Turbo can do the same 6.3 0-60 with 200HP and 3000 pounds as C&D's last ST roadtest). 

     

    GTi is 220 HP, but 3100-3200 pounds.Though, it is certainly underrated I am sure. 

     

    there is also the price  The SI runs thousands less than those competitors and also comes with some very nice features such as the larger touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android auto, the blindspot camera in the passenger mirror, the limited slip, the adjustable dampers, etc, etc.  It is a hell of a deal for under 25k. 

     

    The ST is towards the end of it's life, and is outgunned as it is.

     

    The GTI gets down under 3,100 depending on equipment, has 30 more hp than it's rated at, offers a significant chunk of what the Si offers as standard, and has much greater aftermarket support.

     

    As I said before, this car has a strong value quotient compared to base econo-boxes on the market, but it's not a full-on hot hatch.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    23 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

    Well, no duh.

    This car isn't leaving a whole lot on the table, I can promise you that.

    Sounds to me like this Si should have been the Sport, and they should have given the Si a detuned 2.0T and dual clutch trans from Acura.

     

     

     

    The ST is towards the end of it's life, and is outgunned as it is.

     

    The GTI gets down under 3,100 depending on equipment, has 30 more hp than it's rated at, offers a significant chunk of what the Si offers as standard, and has much greater aftermarket support.

     

    As I said before, this car has a strong value quotient compared to base econo-boxes on the market, but it's not a full-on hot hatch.

    They don't offer the SI in hatch form at all actually, which irks me.  An EX with the CVT is decently quick though with 0-60 in around 6.8 seconds.  they have the Sport with 180 HP, but it is based on the LX which lacks a lot of features.  I was looking at Civic Hatches this weekend, they have really grown n me, but I don't like having to choose between the wanted features or getting the manual trans. the ST never impressed me.  It was barely a match for the old GTi which was in it's last year at the ime. 

     

    And the GTi is the one and king of this sector, no doubt.  I just wish the closest VW dealership wasn't so far away.  That is being a bit of an issue with the bug. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    54 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

    The GTI gets down under 3,100 depending on equipment, has 30 more hp than it's rated at, offers a significant chunk of what the Si offers as standard, and has much greater aftermarket support.

     

    As I said before, this car has a strong value quotient compared to base econo-boxes on the market, but it's not a full-on hot hatch.

    Exactly...plus with an APR tune, the GTI will smoke much more expensive performance cars...and run off into the horizon and hide from an SI.

    And no, the Si is not a full on hot hatch...

    33 minutes ago, Stew said:

    They don't offer the SI in hatch form at all actually, which irks me.  An EX with the CVT is decently quick though with 0-60 in around 6.8 seconds.  they have the Sport with 180 HP, but it is based on the LX which lacks a lot of features.  I was looking at Civic Hatches this weekend, they have really grown n me, but I don't like having to choose between the wanted features or getting the manual trans. the ST never impressed me.  It was barely a match for the old GTi which was in it's last year at the ime. 

     

    And the GTi is the one and king of this sector, no doubt.  I just wish the closest VW dealership wasn't so far away.  That is being a bit of an issue with the bug. 

    The ST is a really nice car, but not what the GTI is.

    You could perhaps find a local mechanic familiar with foreign cars?

    Edited by A Horse With No Name

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    4 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

    Exactly...plus with an APR tune, the GTI will smoke much more expensive performance cars...and run off into the horizon and hide from an SI.

    And no, the Si is not a full on hot hatch...

    The ST is a really nice car, but not what the GTI is.

    You could perhaps find a local mechanic familiar with foreign cars?

    Well, has to do with warranty work.  Got that nice messed up intake that effects the 2.0T engines.  The bug is covered under the extended warranty, but time is at a premium right now to say the least. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I think the new Si might seem underwhelming on paper, but the jury is out on real-world performance. The mass-market tuned 1.5T already punches above its weight, the Civic sport hatchback equipped with a manual and rated 180 hp/177 lb-ft ran 7 sec 0-60 and a solid 15.2 @ 94 mph in an instrumented test by C&D, other examples have managed sub-7 second sprints like others have mentioned. This could potentially be the fastest Si yet, and a great driving performance car.

    http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-honda-civic-hatchback-15t-manual-test-review

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 minute ago, Stew said:

    Well, has to do with warranty work.  Got that nice messed up intake that effects the 2.0T engines.  The bug is covered under the extended warranty, but time is at a premium right now to say the least. 

    I can appreciate that....!

    Just now, cp-the-nerd said:

    I think the new Si might seem underwhelming on paper, but the jury is out on real-world performance. The mass-market tuned 1.5T already punches above its weight, the Civic sport hatchback equipped with a manual and rated 180 hp/177 lb-ft ran 7 sec 0-60 and a solid 15.2 @ 94 mph in an instrumented test by C&D, other examples have managed sub-7 second sprints like others have mentioned. This could potentially be the fastest Si yet, and a great driving performance car.

    http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-honda-civic-hatchback-15t-manual-test-review

    The question isn't if it is a great value and a great performance car, but if it is up to its competitors.  I would maintain the money is better spent elsewhere.

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 minute ago, A Horse With No Name said:

    I can appreciate that....!

     

    1 minute ago, A Horse With No Name said:

    I can appreciate that....!

    I love my bug, don't get me wrong.  Some of the little issues get annoying though. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    8 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

    The question isn't if it is a great value and a great performance car, but if it is up to its competitors.  I would maintain the money is better spent elsewhere.

    I repeat: I think the new Si might seem underwhelming on paper, but the jury is out on real-world performance.

    I'm not saying it's better or worse than anything, I'm saying it's too early to write it off. The current Civic is a very different machine than the recent generation.

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    15 minutes ago, cp-the-nerd said:

    I repeat: I think the new Si might seem underwhelming on paper, but the jury is out on real-world performance.

    I'm not saying it's better or worse than anything, I'm saying it's too early to write it off. The current Civic is a very different machine than the recent generation.

    My thoughts as well. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, cp-the-nerd said:

    I repeat: I think the new Si might seem underwhelming on paper, but the jury is out on real-world performance.

    I'm not saying it's better or worse than anything, I'm saying it's too early to write it off. The current Civic is a very different machine than the recent generation.

    I would agree on writing it off completely, but I am not seeing anything that gives me much hope.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    On 6/5/2017 at 8:41 AM, dfelt said:

    As some one who is always blowing the MB horn and saying it has to have the most powerful engines in every class at every model. Your comment makes no sense for the first two sentences.

    Now the 3rd sentence is what you should have started off with.

    It makes sense to keep it priced where they have it for their customer base of which many will not be looking at the competition nor at the Horsepower. Yet for those that do, this car is a failure in the competition of this class.

    I get the feeling that Honda Marketing really does not research their competition very well nor cares too. It is as if they are happy with just their loyal car fans who will follow what ever weak attempt they make.

    The Si isn't the top model, so 205 hp is fine.  They make a 300+ hp Civic type R.    And a couple of Honda's trademarks are fuel economy and reliability, so it is good that they stick to their core values.  And as I said they have a 300 hp version which way more than any Cruze, Elantra, Mazda 3, Corolla or Sentra.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Another thing I have been thinking about, he SI has never been about outright power.  It is about fun to drive, reliability, and FE at a great price.  This has that in spades and is on my short list for my next car. 

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    59 minutes ago, Stew said:

    Another thing I have been thinking about, he SI has never been about outright power.  It is about fun to drive, reliability, and FE at a great price.  This has that in spades and is on my short list for my next car. 

    I could see that, it might be a nice choice...but ti will get smoked at my local autocross by the Focus St, GTI, Fiesta St, BRZ/FRS/86, Miata, Fiat 124 Spyder, and every other hot car out there.

    Since I want to run my next car hard, not really thinking an SI is on my short list.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    7 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

    I could see that, it might be a nice choice...but ti will get smoked at my local autocross by the Focus St, GTI, Fiesta St, BRZ/FRS/86, Miata, Fiat 124 Spyder, and every other hot car out there.

    Since I want to run my next car hard, not really thinking an SI is on my short list.

    I am not so sure about that.  This new SI is a totally new animal that comes with a dual mode electronic suspension.  It is also so much lighter than, especially the ST, that it will simply turn in harder, especially having a true limited slip diff.  Considering the last gen SI had hit 60 as quick as 6.1 (12 model) at 60 pounds heavier and a lot less torque, I could this doing a 6 flat or possibly a high 5 0-60 which puts it right with the others, or quicker in the case of the ST.  It has a much better torque curve than the previous one as well. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    42 minutes ago, Stew said:

    I am not so sure about that.  This new SI is a totally new animal that comes with a dual mode electronic suspension.  It is also so much lighter than, especially the ST, that it will simply turn in harder, especially having a true limited slip diff.  Considering the last gen SI had hit 60 as quick as 6.1 (12 model) at 60 pounds heavier and a lot less torque, I could this doing a 6 flat or possibly a high 5 0-60 which puts it right with the others, or quicker in the case of the ST.  It has a much better torque curve than the previous one as well. 

    Hmmm.....I may have to try one out...

     

    This is a very good review of this car-I like this guy, he is very reality based and fair in his reviews. he also has a lot of other good videos.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites



    Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

    Guest
    You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×