Renault Sees An End To Diesels In Their Vehicles

• Renault sees a dim future for diesel in Europe

Since the Volkswagen diesel emission scandal came to light, more scrutiny has been put on automakers and emissions standards. Recent real-world tests of European market diesel vehicles have revealed a number were 10 times over the legal limit for emissions. With stricter regulations coming into effect next year, automakers are reconsidering their investment in diesel.

Case in point is Renault. Reuters has learned from sources at the company that it believes diesel engines will disappear from their lineup due to stricter regulations. This comes from an internal meeting before a summer break where Renault went over the costs of meeting these stricter regulations. According to two people who were at the meeting, Renault's Chief Competitiveness Officer Thierry Bollore said the investment in diesel had dimmed significantly due to upcoming regulations.

"He said we were now wondering whether diesel would survive, and that he wouldn't have voiced such doubts even at the start of this year," said one of the people.

"Tougher standards and testing methods will increase technology costs to the point where diesel is forced out of the market."

Next year will see Europe adopting emission standards similar to the ones in the U.S. known as Euro 6b. This will become more stringent as time goes on. Two years after Euro 6b comes into affect, European regulators will begin doing real-world testing of fuel economy and emissions. The combination of these two things means automakers will need to spend more money to make their vehicles meet these standards.

"Everybody is backtracking on diesel because after 2017-18 it becomes more and more expensive," said Pavan Potluri, a powertrain analyst with consulting firm IHS Automotive.

Already, diesel engines have been disappearing from city cars. Sources say Renault predicts that diesel will disappear from all B-Segment and some C-Segment models by 2020.

Source: Reuters

I expected this, I also expect we will see a plethora of EV and Plug-in Hybrids over the next 24 months.

This is government intrusion at its absolute worst.  And it goes against what customers want.  Totally out of sync with the market.

6 hours ago, ocnblu said:

The government has very little to do with it other than prosecuting the offenders. Many of the people who bought TDIs did so thinking they were clean burners.  A lot of those buyers are justifiably mad at being misled by VW.  Diesel in Europe has been starting to taper off over the past few years anyway... now with the VW scandal, I expect a rapid drop in diesel sales simply because customers don't trust the technology anymore (justifiably or not).

GM got the blame for killing diesels in the US for 30 years and it tarnished GM's image.

VW will get the blame for killing them globally because they've tarnished the image of diesel technology as a whole.

The government has everything to do with it if they choke the life out of the diesel engine by regulating it to death.

29 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Other diesel manufacturers followed the rules.  VW didn't.  VW got busted and tarnished the image of diesel as being a very dirty technology when in fact it can be clean.

Why did they do this? They did this to further their quest to be the largest auto maker on the planet and save themselves $350 per car.  If TDI buyers are that loyal, they certainly could have stomached an extra $350 for the emissions control equipment. I know I wouldn't even have blinked at that amount and I doubt you would have either.

This was greed and hubris on VW's part....... plain and simple.

The car is still more valuable TO THE OWNERS than some made-up BS.  And the TDi's economy numbers routinely exceed the advertised.

Market value isn't made up, it's a very real thing.

It doesn't exist until the car is sold.

so first you're saying it's the 'gubmints' fault, and now you're implying tdi owners should just suck it up and be happy with their vehicle that doesn't meet advertised specs and has lost substantial resale value.

why do you hate consumers and fair business practices?

I read somewhere that VW cut a lot of costs by moving production of models to Slovakia and other Eastern European countries and also by moving production of certain Golfs and Audis to Mexico.

They couldn't stomach another $350 out of what I read they cut $7000 of costs of production associated with the then new 2012 Passat.

They were being greedy, and while there's plenty of time to discuss the fairness of laws, VW was considered the gold standard and untouchable when it came to diesels. And now they're in a mess.

And diesels can be very clean, even with the emissions control equipment enabled to full use, diesels still get great FE. And right now there's a negative spread between diesel and regular, and that's not a coincidence.

it's not just diesel they are over regulating.  Globally the taxes and regs have created things like a 1.0 litre three turbo in a Ford Mondeo in Europe. etc.

The crossroads in powertrain development Drew alludes to in my mind is the push and pull, the ever increasing demands of regulation (for regulation sake now) are far exceeding the value of investment.  It's ruining the auto industry.  They all stepped up to the plate to make their 1.5's and tiny turbos and hybrids and 10 speed autos, now is not the time to double the requirements again.  It's time to make the technology that is in play now, reliable and cost effective.

We'd all be better off if they stop pussy footing and just come out and say 'all global powertrains shall be capable of either gas-electric hybrid, gas-electric hybrid plug in, or plug in hybrid propulsion.  With credits given for innovation in other fuels.  Let's skip over this struggle spending millions and billions making 2.0's gain 2 more mpg each product cycle when we can just flat out mandate fuel diversity and jump from a 30 mpg car to a 40 mpg car.  Let's get every manufacturer deeply immersed.  Create global tax incentives to entice manufacturers to join forces and engineer fewer but better powertrains.

I really do think the crossroads is that we need to recognize we've got most of what we can out of pure gas powertrains.  We would see more of an investment with development dollars in standardizing future electric infrastructure.  Let's develop scalable battery technologies.  Let's think about what our charging network is 40 years down the pipe. etc.

I love diesels too, and this clearly a diesel witch hunt going on but I can see why any manufacturer would scale back on these.

unlike some people, I'm not against electrification or hybridization.   I don't like to waste energy and if I can recapture energy when I'm braking to use it for acceleration, than I'm all for it.  If I can power my commute with wind turbines or solar, I'm all for it.  I like silence in my cars and I like lots of torque... both specialties of electric power, but in the end, I'm truly agnostic as to what I use for fuel as long as it has those qualities.  My limitation at the moment is the need for AWD.... there are so few hybrid AWD vehicles right now, and even fewer that are affordable, that it basically takes electrification off the table for me.

But if GM put the CT6 PHEV powertrain in a new Chevy Avalanche 4x4, I'd be first in line at Chevy with my deposit.

CHEVY HAS COME OUT AND SAID THE BOLT HAS A 238 MILE RANGE!  That's pretty darn good, I just wish I could count on that number consistently, but there are so many variables... seasonal, HVAC related, unknown traffic demands...

6 hours ago, ocnblu said:

That's an EPA estimate... so yes it could be variable, but that also means it could be higher.   In the Volt, real world driving returns results that regularly exceed EPA.

On 9/10/2016 at 5:38 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

This was greed and hubris on VW's part....... plain and simple.

They had numerous other issues in the 2009-2014 cars (2012-2014 Passat sued a different system that did in fact use urea). DPF filters and High Pressure Fuel pumps are just the start.  had they walked through the front door in 2009, they would have a huge loyal following.  But the real problems started when High Pressure Fuel pumps started imploding....which was an $8000 repair when you went to a VW dealer because you basically sent shrapnel through the fuel system.

AWD seems like it would be a natural match for an electrical powertrain....look at how well it works out in the Tesla, which IIRC is all wheel drive, right?

On 9/11/2016 at 11:26 AM, Suaviloquent said:

They got really greedy...although cars built in Mexico are quality wise supposed to be just as good as the cars from Germany.

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

AWD is optional.  If it has a D after the model number, then it's AWD.  The D actually stands for dual motors, one in the front and one in the back.

With electric, one could forgo the mechanical transfer case and be much more mechanically simple....looking forward to the three....I could see myself getting into a Tesla 3 quite easily.

9 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

There is no transfer case in the AWD Tesla's. Its just a smaller motor unit up front.

Exactly....at some point the mechanical simplicity of electric has to be a major selling point.  Especially now that they are talking about gas cars having particulate filters and even more complex emissions systems.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

• Popular Stories

1. gmcbob
      gmcbob

• By dfelt
      Stumbled across this story on the BBC that shows that 4 major cities will have a ban on all diesel auto's and Trucks by 2025.
      Paris
      Mexico City
      Madrid
      Athens
      These four cities are implementing complete bans on Diesel to improve air quality. Campaigners are pushing to have London Diesel free also by 2025. Very interesting read, plus I see they are converting more roads into bicycle lanes only. Bummer but the future is an ICE free future for many cities
      The Environmental Protection Agency has today proposed to keep its vehicle emission targets through 2025, shocking a lot of people and possibly setting up a major fight between regulators and the automotive industry.
      According to Automotive News, the proposal will now enter a 30-day comment period. After this period, the EPA administrator could finalize this proposal and begin enforcing these standards a bit quicker. By 2025, automakers will need to increase their  to 54.5 miles per gallon corporate average fuel economy (CAFE) numbers to 54.5 miles per gallon.
      Why move the proposal up now? A proposal was expected next year with a final decision in 2018. The EPA said in a statement their “extensive technical analysis” has shown no reason as to why the timeframe or standards should be changed. Also, automakers will be able to achieve those 2025 standards at “similar or even a lower cost”.
      “Due to the industry’s rapid technological advancement, the technical record could arguably support strengthening the 2022-2025 standards. However, the administrator’s judgment is [that] now is not the time to introduce uncertainty by changing the standards. The industry has made huge investments in fuel efficiency and low emissions technologies based on these standards, and any changes now may disrupt those plans,” said Janet McCabe, acting assistant administrator for the EPA’s Office of Air and Radiation on a conference call.
      That analysis started back in July and is used to determine whether or not the EPA needs to make adjustments to the regulations or schedule.
      But there might be another reason. With President Obama leaving the White House on January 20th and President-elect Donald Trump, there are concerns that Trump's administration could challenge the regulations. By doing this now, it would make the process of undoing these regulations more complicated - notice and comment requirements, possible court battle with environmental groups, etc. McCabe denied this, saying the decision was based on analysis and a “rigorous technical record,”
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
      Pic Credit: William Maley for Cheers & Gears

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
      Pic Credit: William Maley for Cheers & Gears
      Will Volkswagen make a return with diesels to the U.S. or not? Unfortunately, we're getting mixed messages on this issue.
      Back in July, Volkswagen of America CEO Hinrich Woebcken said diesel would not a core element of the brand going forward. But they could start selling a diesel vehicle in the U.S. again if it makes sense.
      “We are not stopping diesel. Wherever diesel makes sense as a package to the car, we’ll continue. But in reality, we have to accept that the high percentage of diesels that we had before will not come back again,” said Woebcken.
      Last week in an interview with Motor Trend, Woebcken reiterated his earlier statement with the automaker not ruling out diesels in the future.
      But this week, Volkswagen brand chief Herbert Diess told German business paper Handelsblatt that diesel will not be returning to Volkswagen's U.S. lineup.
      "At the moment we assume that we will offer no new diesel vehicles in the U.S," said Diess. “The reason is the legal framework.”
      Who to believe? We're not sure ourselves. Stay tuned.
      Source: Motor Trend, Handelsblatt, Reuters

Who to believe? We're not sure ourselves. Stay tuned.
      Source: Motor Trend, Handelsblatt, Reuters