Tesla's Model 3 Gets Even More Expensive

Where's the mystical $35,000 Model 3?

.Over the weekend, Tesla CEO Elon Musk took to Twitter and announced a new powerful version of the Model 3. The version according to Musk will cost $78,000 and will be "quicker & with better handling.

The last line of Musk's tweet made us chuckle since the current Model 3 warranty doesn't permit racing and autocross.

Driving over uneven, rough, damaged or hazardous surfaces, including but not limited to, curbs, potholes, unfinished roads, debris, or other obstacles, or in competition, racing or autocross or for any other purposes for which the vehicle is not designed.

Nevertheless, it has brought up questions as to where the $35,000 Model 3 is. For a number of buyers who plopped down the $1,000 deposit, this is the model they are waiting for. Musk gave a roundabout answer to where the low-priced Model 3 is.

There is some truth to Musk's madness. Tesla is burning through cash like it is going out of style. According to Bloomberg, the company used up more than a billion in the first quarter. One way Tesla raises money is rolling out their most expensive variants of the Model S, X, and 3. Once they have enough cash, they will begin production of less expensive models.

But the Model 3 has proven to be very problematic for Tesla. Various delays and production issues have caused Tesla to push back production targets for the Model 3 again and again. Tesla is aiming to produce 5,000 Model 3s a week by the end of the second quarter.

“The idea that it’s supposed to be a car for everyone is kind of laughable. Anyone who wanted a base model may have to wait years out,” said Ivan Drury, senior manager of industry analysis at Edmunds.com.

Source: Bloomberg (Subscription Required)

"with better handling. Will beat anything in its class on the track."

That's a ballsy line right there.

That's one heck of a downgrade.

Not really, in comparison of the base Tesla to a Fully loaded Bolt which comes in at the general same price point, If you can get a Bolt with the fed discount and yet no Tesla, why wait if you want and need an auto. Clearly 65,000 plus and growing Tesla 3 reservation holders are doing this in California and elsewhere as the value is there in the Bolt.

Some good fair even headed comparisons on the Tesla 3 to the Bolt.

They have plenty of negative and positive things to say, but the review made this point over and over:

"I also flat-out loved driving it. I blasted in and out of New York City twice, rocketed around the streets of Gotham, darted through traffic, and cruised along the highways of New Jersey. I enjoyed just driving it around the quiet streets of the suburb where I live.

The steering is quick and responsive, and the handling is sharp enough to provide the confidence you need when surfing that sweet EV torque."

Quote the ending:

"But the Bolt punches well above its weight, while the Model 3 should be better for how much its costs at the upper end of its specifications.

Pricing is also an issue. Right now, you can have any Model 3 you preordered after a long wait — as long as it starts at $42,000. (Tesla isn't manufacturing the $35,000 base vehicle.) If you want the base Bolt, Chevy will gladly sell it to you for $37,500.

So if you want to get technical, the only true mass-market all-electric vehicle in the market is the Bolt.

Both cars are fun to drive, in their own ways. The Model S is stable, sporty, and fast off the line, but the Bolt, hardly a slug, affords a kind of video-game-like driving experience, especially when zipping around a city like New York.

And not for nothing, the Bolt hit the market a year ahead of the Model 3, demonstrating that big slow GM could, to a certain extent, beat Tesla at its own game and deliver a less expensive long-range EV, at least initially.

So I have to call it a dead heat."

I would agree with the last statement, while they do not compete in the same category, there are plenty of things the Bolt does right and above it's class. There are plenty of things the Tesla does that should be better for the price you pay. I agree that it is a dead heat right now.

Another good read by Forbes which is also balanced:

Blah Blah Blah that's going from a sporty car to a half-ass CUV/car/van-like thing. That's a downgrade.

:roflmao: WOW, I see it from a half ass piss poor car to a roomy CUV.

Tesla 3, Half Empty

Chevy Bolt Half Full

Who would have thought you'd think it was a upgrade?

A hybrid CUV/van/wagon mix is never an upgrade.

Who would have thought you'd think it was a upgrade?

A hybrid CUV/van/wagon mix is never an upgrade.

Disagree, Going to a small car is always a Downgrade to me. Luxury, roomy SUV / CUV are and always will be an upgrade to me.

Even a full size Truck is an upgrade over a car.

MHO

Luxury, roomy SUV / CUV are and always will be an upgrade to me.

It's like the inverse of an auto enthusiast statement.

Might as well just say you're in love with electric cars too...

😬

25 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

A subcompact economy car like the Bolt would be a downgrade relative to most anything, though.

In what world is that class of car considered "subcompact"?

In what world is that class of car considered "subcompact"?

It's really tiny---164 inches long.  That's a subcompact.    It's only slightly larger than the Sonic hatchback, and smaller than the Trax (subcompact CUV).   Definitely too small to be a compact.

It's like the inverse of an auto enthusiast statement.

I don't know, I like luxury SUVs over ordinary cars as far a daily driver.  I'd take my Jeep over any midsize sedan.   Likewise, I'd probably take an GLS, Escalade or Navigator over most full size sedans for a daily driver...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

11 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Can I share your drugs...

Sonic.PNG

Trax.PNG

Model 3.PNG

???  I was taking about the Bolt dimensions.  Go back and read my post. I clearly said Bolt.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

It is also classified as a mid-size by EPA standards, if I remember correctly.

4 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

🤦🏼‍♂️ YUP.

You know whats ironic about that is I originally thought you said Bolt but I reread it and I reread it WRONG.

I wonder what the Model 3 is classed as.  It like it might be smaller inside than the  C-segment luxury sedans (ATS, C, 3, etc)

EPA uses interior cubic volume- to them a 1973 El Camino is a subcompact.

I could see that.  Small interior, huge exterior.  It seemed to carry its long hood, long tail shape better than some of the Rancheros--the 77-79 Rancheros had such long overhangs and a pinched looking cabin.

why wait if you want and need an auto.

Why wait indeed?  WHY oh WHY???

23 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Why wait indeed?  WHY oh WHY???

So funny how you twist and take everything out of context. :roflmao:

Elon Musk overpromised and underdelivered again.  Maybe everyone who reserved their Tesla Model 3 should get their money back and simply buy an already available Chevy Bolt.  And I mean ALL OF THEM.

If my reading on it earlier is correct it’s interior volume + trunk volume and the Model 3 is 97+15 which puts it technically in the Large car class.

Edit: Mid Size is correct.

AB242124-2EF7-4044-A0DB-6D8E66FA6EDF.png

Edited by ccap41

Bolt is going to hand the 3 it's a*s*s* again.......😂😂

I think at this stage pretty much every automaker could hand Tesla their behind....

Things are no looking rosy for them at all.....

19 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Correct.  Until the Bolt can put accelerate a Corvette I am not interested.  The Model 3 is a much faster car than the Bolt and looks better and is from the “in” brand not your grandpa’s brand.

Mercedes is your Grandpa's Brand too and they have no EV.

The speed difference for the majority of people is insignificant and the Bolt can go faster if you put it in Sport mode. Interesting how no one really talks about the fact that you can take a second off that magic number you like to use too much on 0 to 60 if you are in Sport mode that then puts the Bolt on a level plane with the Tesla 3 that is more cramped than the Bolt.

Musk just shot himself in the foot- the 100s of thousands that put down deposits thinking their 'in brand' car was going to be $35K, STILL waiting, years later, to get that car when all that's available is $42-49K..., Musk gives a Model 3 update and the new version costs EIGHTY THOUSAND instead.

All those people still waiting must be PISSED. Let's see if Tesla issues an update on deposit cancellations...

@balthazar I think Musk could loose more than half the deposits once other OEM EV's start showing up this summer and fall. I think his days are numbered in the current form as a car company.

OoOoOoooo SPORT MODE for the SUV/van/car Bolt! I bet that blows the doors off of exactly nothing Tesla makes.

Mercedes is your Grandpa's Brand too and they have no EV.

The Bolt is a tiny car, which right away is a turn off to many, it isn't a mid-size sedan or even Cruze sized sedan and it isn't as big as an SUV and people want SUVs.   And yes Tesla has production issues and needs another SUV.  Mercedes will have a whole wave of electrics with no production issues like Tesla has, and they'll be SUVs and sedans that people want, although with 1 hatchback, but those sell in Europe.

Bolt is a small hatchback, which are gaining in popularity, vs. the Model 3 as a sedan, the fastest shrinking vehicle preference. Model Y should have been built first.

Hatchbacks don't sell very well in the US at all. I wish they did... Well not ones that look like the Bolt.

But the #2 thru at least the #8 best selling EVs in the US are hatchbacks.

Bolt finished #2 last year on the EV charts, and so far is #4 this year.

Edited by balthazar

GUYS, CORRECTION.  THE CHEVROLET BOLT IS A CROSSOVER ACCORDING TO THE MANUFACTURER.  IT CAN BE FOUND IN THE ONLINE ORDER GUIDE UNDER "CHEVROLET TRUCKS".  lol

15 hours ago, balthazar said:

But the #2 thru at least the #8 best selling EVs in the US are hatchbacks.

Bolt finished #2 last year on the EV charts, and so far is #4 this year.

Because the're all hatchbacks except the Model S and 3, aren't they? Everything else seems to be hybrid or plug-in hybrids.

14 hours ago, ocnblu said:

More reasons to dislike the dang thing... 😂

Model S is a hatchback.  Model 3 is inexplicably trunked despite the shape.

16 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I like hatchbacks when they are serious and upright like the Golf, and sleek like the Panamera, A7 or Regal.  Bolt just looks lumpen and goofy, like an oversized Spark or Sonic.  The 2nd gen Leaf copied it's styling.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

22 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Model S is a hatchback.  Model 3 is inexplicably trunked despite the shape

Oh yeah I forgot a lot of hatchbacks are in the shape of cars now like you mentioned in the A7, Panamera, and Regal.

15 hours ago, ocnblu said:

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

More reasons to dislike the dang thing... 😂

Actually more reason for the public to like them. Roomy mid size space in a compact format. Win Win!

OoOoOo that's what everybody wants. Subcompact SUVs are on fire!

Some people like them...I have no interest in anything that small.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Roomy midsize?  More like compact in a subcompact form.  It has a tiny bit more space than a Honda Fit, but the Fit has seat configurations that make it much more versatile.   Most days I feel both are equally awkward looking.

57 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Some people like them...I have no interest in anything that small.

Yes, "SOME"

My current car is as small as I will ever own and I'll never have something this small again. It works for now but with owning a home I almost need larger so I won't have to borrow my dad's Taco.

Yes, "SOME"

Spicy Taco or Plain Taco? Inquiring minds want to know. :P

It's more plain... SR5, Access Cab, cloth, 4WD, 4.0, Auto.

It is nice that it is the first year they changed to a touch screen for all trims so it does still have bluetooth for music and backup camera but it's a pretty plain trim.

The backup camera blows compared to my Focus though. His is in his rearview mirror and not the clearest of pictures compared to mine being on an 8" screen.

What makes me LOL even louder is that the U.S. government would let GM classify the Bolt as a truck for CAFE reasons.  What on EARTH makes it a truck?  Silly talk.  CAFE is such a lameass joke.

Edited by ocnblu

5 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

No idea..IIRC, weren't the PT Cruiser and HHR also classified as 'trucks'?   Makes no sense, it's just a subcompact hatchback..maybe a little taller than the Spark or Sonic, but the same form factor..not that different from the Trax, which is a short, tall hatchback...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Trax is a "CUV".

Yes, a tall car, not a truck. CUVs are car-based.  If it's got a FWD/AWD platform w/ a transverse engine, it's not a truck or an SUV.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I only associate 'hatchback' with such being a car, but of course a 100 CUVs/SUVs are also hatchbacks. I just don't associate it that way. If Chevy wanted to call the Bolt a CUV, I wouldn't care, but no; it's not a truck.

12 hours ago, balthazar said:

Totally agree, I wish they would stop this wrongful way of listing an auto. They need to be true to the actual type of auto and use it is.

• By David
      According to an interview done by Steve Fowler at Auto Express UK, Thierry Bollore the new CEO of Jaguar Land Rover is considering taking Jaguar pure EV to be a Tesla / Polestar competitor and would start with the new Baby Jaguar concept they built. This is a Tesla 3 sized luxury 4 door sedan.

This comes after so many stories about the Flagship XJ EV being postponed as they focus on ICE auto's. Jaguar has confirmed that due to the success of their i-Pace CUV, they are moving forward with delivery of the XJ EV in 2021.
      Castle Bromwich will be home to all electric auto's that they make including the Road biased Range Rover EV. This comes after sales of the Jaguar XE dropped 28% in 2019. As such, the board with new CEO leadership feels it needs to aggressively move to an all new replacement of the XE with this all electric baby Jaguar.
      Jaguar management is also closely watching Polestar and especially their Polestar 2 EV.
      The all new MLA EV platform would allow replacements of the E-Pace and F-Pace to be a priority once the XE and XJ are launched.
      Jaguar according to the story is on pace to launch plug-in hybrids of the E & F Pace that will get a facelift along with a move to a Hybrid as a stop gap measure till they are replaced with EVs.
      There are also talks of a smaller electric Jaguar as Jaguar has signed letters of agreement to work with BMW on a electric version of the BMW 1 & 2 series that will go electric and this would bring in a much smaller footprint Jaguar below the XE and i-Pace.
      A big question is that the F-Type sports car while being considered a must by some executives on the Board could fall to the history bin as it only sold 6,000 in the last financial year globally making it the second worst performing auto in their portfolio behind the XJ which will come out next year in the dramatic clean sheet design.
    • By Drew Dowdell
      The Tesla Model 3 nearly broke into the top 10 best selling vehicles in Europe for September 2019, missing the mark by just 217 units.  Overall, sales growth in the EU is strong with 14 markets reporting positive numbers.  Germany came in at 9.1 percent and Italy came in at 6.5 percent.  Battery electric vehicles were up sharply, increasing 119 percent, of which Tesla controlled nearly 50% of that number.  Total Tesla registrations were 19,500 out of the 40,700 BEVs registered.  That put the Tesla Model 3 as the best selling BEV in Europe.
      For September, the Volkwagen Golf was the best selling vehicle in Europe with 32,398 units registered.
      Tesla shares jumped 18 percent yesterday after a surprise profit for Q3 of $1.86 per share, up from an expected loss of 42 cents per share.

• By Drew Dowdell

• FWIW, every new home built in California requires solar panels. It started this year. It's a great start, at least.
    • Little do you know, I run strictly off of solar energy.
    • VW showed off their production electric EV CUV. AWD with 250 mile battery pack will start at $44,890. Their RWD model is available starting Q1 2021, Q3 2021 is when the AWD model will go on sale at VW dealerships. VW says they will have about 160,000 available $7,500 tax credits when this goes on sale to help lower the price. RWD is 201HP, AWD is 302 HP, 0 to 60 in 8 seconds, will compete with the Honda CR-V and Toyota Rav4. https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1129702_2021-vw-id-4-250-mile-electric-suv-starts-at-41490   ID.4 Pro
    • Saw one of these at the dealership while the Flex was being serviced.   Vanderhall Carmel (Autocycle). It’s like an Aerial Atom had a drunken baby with a Polaris Slingshot.
    • Yeah, I haven't been in a Dunkin or Tim's in years...I occasionally leave the house and go through the drive thru at Dunkin..   in the before time, my favorite get of the house and enjoy a breakfast place is Bruegger's Bagels...a large coffee and an everything bagel w/ bacon, egg and cheese was a favorite going back 20+ years--used to go to one in Colorado Springs, Denver, Phoenix, and now here.   When I was at MCI/Worldcom back in the late 90s, had a coworker that I used to meet up with at 6am at Brueggers once a week for breakfast..  I miss the simple pleasures of the before time.