Toyota officials under investigation for recall

Toyota officials under investigation for recall negligence

The Associated Press is reporting that three Toyota officials are under criminal investigation for allegedly avoiding a recall for eight years, during which time the defective part in question may have caused an accident.

The story goes like this. On August 12, 2004, five people were injured in a head-on crash in Japan that was caused when the steering of a 1993 Toyota Hilux Surf failed. Toyota then carried out a small recall in October of 2004 for 330,000 Hilux Surf SUVs built between 1988 and 1996 for a part used in the steering system that could fail. The Hilux Surf that caused the accident was built in 1993.

The investigation seems to revolve around the fact that Toyota officials had already accumulated five reports of steering problems way back in 1996, but didn't recall any vehicles because problems were "limited to repeatedly turning the wheel during parking." After the accident and additional problems were reported in 2004, Toyota decided to do a major recall of 1.2 million potentially affected vehicles sold in 180 nations. Only that one accident has ever been attributed to the problematic steering part.

The three officials, of which only two are still working for the company, oversaw quality control at Toyota during the period under investigation. The formal charges against these officials were filed today with prosecutors in southern Japan.

This type of publicity is the last thing Toyota needs as questions about the company's ability to maintain its impeccable quality standards amidst rapid growth are being asked as the number of recalls it has risen dramatically in recent years.

I've said it about a million & one times:

The higher the horse the harder they fall. :globe:

See, at least if there's a problem with a GM or Ford or Dodge its announced immediately and taken care of almost as fast. Toyota is having things from years ago come and bite them in the butt and I just re-read the airbag thing with the Turdras, they won't start accepting recall work on the trucks till September, that's a bit of a long time to wait to do soemthing like that, or at least it seems like it to me.

I've said it about a million & one times:

The higher the horse the harder they fall. :globe:

165385[/snapback]

the only problem with toyota falling... is that no one will care...

people who went to toyota, japan inc., havent any loyalty but to reliablity...

the only problem with toyota falling... is that no one will care...

people who went to toyota, japan inc., havent any loyalty but to reliablity...

165553[/snapback]

I don't see that as a problem......

that is what happens when you build soulless vehicles

Even in the darkest of days, every GM division save perhaps Geo and Saturn had something to that had personality or soul.

I don't see that as a problem......

that is what happens when you build soulless vehicles

Even in the darkest of days, every GM division save perhaps Geo and Saturn had something to that had personality or soul.

165555[/snapback]

yep... thats one of the only reasons its still around...

I really hope to witness the rapid & thorough implosion of toyota. Would hold more interest for me than all the championship sporting events combined, plus the Olympics and reality TV. So far, they're off to a solid start.

165443[/snapback]

Yes indeed, more exciting than any Tyson vs. Holyfield fight

or even more interesting & edge of the seat tense than a

good old fashioned fist fight on the ice durring an NHL game.

Reg: Jesus would NEVER drive a Totoya... he'd either ride a bike

(human powered kind) or he'd drive a conservative domestic.

Yes indeed, more exciting than any Tyson vs. Holyfield fight

or even more interesting & edge of the seat tense than a

good old fashioned fist fight on the ice durring an NHL game.

166311[/snapback]

OH I DON'T KNOW......every liberal and media outlet would have you think Jesus is driving a Prius or something

OH I DON'T KNOW......every liberal and media outlet would have you think Jesus is driving a Prius or something

166366[/snapback]

:lol:

Toyota is having PR problem to say the least. But you gotta remember REG, that if the internet didn't exist, most of us wouldn't know of all the problems and coverups. HAIL TO AL GORE for inventing the internet.

166311[/snapback]

Yeah, probably FWD for their safety in inclement weather :lol: