GM + VW?

The WSJ reported that GM will entertain a pact with other companies, should the N-R deal fall through. It sounds almost like Rick has planned out the outcome of the 90 review. Well anyway, I got to thinking about VW. What do you guys think of those companies coming together in some capacity?

VW wouldn't threaten GM in North America at all and the 2 companies would be a juggernaut in Europe, Asia, and South America. Unlike Nissan-Renault, VW does have some good technology and masterful interior making that could actually help GM in America.

On the downside, VW is plagued with their own problems too, but not to the extent of Ford.

VW does have some nice things to share, like DSG and Quattro. But I don't think that an alliance between the 2 would make sense in Europe, Asia, and SA, since GM does very well on its own in those markets.

Don't know if this is an aside or not, but I'd love to see a nice TDI diesel version of the Cobalt.  And VW makes good TDI diesel engines.

168704[/snapback]

Actually the TDI engines we got in the states were not up to the snuff of the 08 emissions. The Fiat common rail diesels and izuzu diesels are more than up to snuff and we should see them in the US in just a few years.

VW's new 1.4L SUPERCHARGED for LOW RPM's AND TURBOCHARGED for MID to HIGH RPM's I4 with the HP+TORQUE of a small V6 is nice! I see a interesting FUEL EFFICENT future there! But besides that and some other TECH that GM allredy is WORKING ON why would they NEED VW?

VW's new 1.4L SUPERCHARGED for LOW RPM's AND TURBOCHARGED for MID to HIGH RPM's I4 with the HP+TORQUE of a small V6 is nice! I see a interesting FUEL EFFICENT future there! But besides that and some other TECH that GM allredy is WORKING ON why would they NEED VW?

168756[/snapback]

Twin charged engines are not anything new. Honda or maybe Suzuki has had one in production for years in the Japanese market. There is a BIG downsize to twin charging. Number one is weight. Turbos add weight, superchargers add weight and both together add a lot of weight. Also the internal components must be beefed up a LOT to handle the extra boost and associated pressures.

And with all that extra weight and rotating mass will hurt fuel economy, especially in the city.

Ford, VW & Honda are all WAY less appealing to me than Nissan/Renault.

I would prefer no partner at all.

But given a choice Honda or VW would be the two who have the most to offer GM in the field of small engine tech.

If gas stays as it is the small car programs will be the most important thing in the future.

But on the other hand how about a W 427 in a new Vette?

Beside we GM employees could get their discount on the Bently or Lambo.