BMW 330d diesel

regfootball

For kicks, Car and Driver compared the Euro spec 330d turbo diesel to the 330i and full road test.

They got 38 mpg combined and over 40 highway mpg at times.

To top it off, it got 0-60 in 6.0 seconds and passing times were quicker than the gas version because of the monstrous torque.

And yet, the USA and Califronia etc. tries to do everything they can to kill diesels.

Just when we get 'clean diesel' now the regulations become like 10 times as hard to meet.

Its enough to p1ss ya off. I would love to have a 3 series diesel with stick and AWD if they had one here.

Between the greenies and the government and the scared oil companies, how are we ever gonna get ahead and make any progress in this country?

Car And Driver still liked the gas version better because its more 'interactive' and revs wonderfully and they love shifting etc.....(they are all boy racers)...but said for most other folks they might prefer the less fussy and wonderfully torquey diesel.

Edited by regfootball

it's idiotic they are comparing performance times of a naturally aspired vs turbo motor. 335i vs 330d and the diesel gets smoked.

f@#k diesels, if NA motors have such tight emmisions which KILL their hp and fuel economy diesels deserve to play by the same rules.

When I can buy a NA motor w/$h!ty emmisions let me make the decision. I'll glady take the extra power, throttle response, less weight, and additional fuel economy.

I love how the clowns at C/D repeatedly bring up weight and weight distrubtion when kissing BMW's ass but left it out in this comparision. :rolleyes:

Considering the '07 Duramax and other HD diesels will be able to pass CA Tier 2 Bin 5 emissions, I'm sure BMW can do it with a smaller 3-liter. Merc's CDI Blutec is clean enough, too, but the EPA doesn't recognize the technology, so it's 45-state-only.

The EPA needs to stop F&CKING with diesels already!! All these manufacturers are busting their asses to meet their requirements and then when they do they meet them the EPA are like oh guess what we just changed the rules again. VW can't sell enough TDIs and now they have to take a year off. I would love to see more efficient diesels in the U.S. I would buy one. I'm not sold on E85 yet being the savior of our fuel price debacle!!

0-60 time has mattered to me a grand total of two times in my CTS.  Give me a quiet(er) diesel with 38mpg and decent performance <doesn't have to be like a V-series> and I'm game.

172143[/snapback]

i drove a cts stick with the opel 3.2 and i thought THAT was even quick. the 3.6 CTS sport would please me like the red head on thursday night.

The EPA needs to stop F&CKING with diesels already!! All these manufacturers are busting their asses to meet their requirements and then when they do they meet them the EPA are like oh guess what we just changed the rules again. VW can't sell enough TDIs and now they have to take a year off. I would love to see more efficient diesels in the U.S. I would buy one. I'm not sold on E85 yet being the savior of our fuel price debacle!!

172846[/snapback]

give us E85, give us diesels too! EXXON MOBIL and the people in the white House don't want to give you a choice. the only reason they are bending on E85 is because they can buy farm state votes by subsidizng ethanol growth.

i totally agree with your take. imagine a small 4 cylinder diesel Vibe or Vue or HHR. Or, a diesel STS. Or a simple diesel Malibu or Impala. Damn, the 9-3 should even have one.

We need to make diesel a part of our future. just like hybrids and E85.

172846[/snapback]

your tax dollars held hostage by the urban liberals leftists

Top Gear's review of the 535d:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__HpspsvRVg...op%20gear%20bmw

173458[/snapback]

WOW! We always get left out of everything.

I have also notice that even though diesels needs less refining the prices of it has jump in recent year to almost as much a premium fuel. Someone in government along with the industry does not want us to have this........I wonder who?

I have also notice that even though diesels needs less refining the prices of it has jump in recent year to almost as much a premium fuel. Someone in government along with the industry does not want us to have this........I wonder who?

173732[/snapback]

bush

cheney

exxon mobil

173732[/snapback]

Keep in mind that diesel is the same fuel that is used as home heating oil in much of the north east and we had some very cold winters recently.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the 335d engine on the new 3 series coupe is upgraded to 286hp DIN from 272hp DIN. Sweetness!

173788[/snapback]

The new 335d will also be available as a sedan, as will the new 197 hp 325d.

Edited by empowah

Guest YellowJacket894

bush = Anti-Christ

cheney = Satan

exxon mobil =Minons of Hell

:D

But, moving away from Political BS and to the subject, diesel engines are pretty great. The days of knocking and drinking oil are over from what I hear. I thought the U.S. was all about choice, but I guess when it comes to what fuel we should use, it's the government's decision. If someone wants a nice, torquey diesel they have the right to buy one. I, for one, wouldn't be against owning one.