Sketch Competition #8 - GM @ NAIAS 2037

Welcome to Sketch Competition #8!

In 1977, carburators blended the fuel-air mixture in our engines, CB radios were all the rage, and airbags were merely experimental. Much has changed in the 30 years since that time. Today, satellite-based GPS systems tell us which roads to take, electronic stability control systems keep us firmly planted on that road, and in-car entertainment systems take us their in comfort. Who could've imagined these now-commonplace features thirty years ago?

Automobile designers.

As automobile enthusiasts, you see just how far 100, 50, 25, even 10 years has taken us in the continued evolution of the car. Your task, should you choose to accept it, is to envision the next 30 years of General Motors. Your sketch should include at minimum 2 (two) of the following:

-3/4 Front View

-3/4 Rear View

-Interior View

Remember, people will be voting based on the overall presentation of your entry, so the more views, the better, including ones not specifically listed above. Also, if you want to include special features, by all means point them out!

Aside from 800x600 size guidelines, remember this must be a vehicle from a GM division. We're going to do a bit of Demolition Man presumption here and assume all of our divisions - Saturn to Cadillac - remain alive and intact thirty years from now. Taking cues from the past and recent concept vehicles as well as your own fertile imagination, design the car of the future today.

This means no restrictions on interior, exterior, size, shape, propulsion, anything. Don't like doors? Figure out a better way. Want to put the driver's seat in the center and above the passengers? Go ahead. Want wings? Just make it look good. Its all fair game in this competition. Let the craziest ideas run wild!

The winner will recieve a GM-related prize!

**DEADLINE EXTENDED!!**

Deadline is Sunday, August 27th @ 11:59PM your local time.

Good luck! :CG_all:

Guest YellowJacket894

No entries yet?  Is everyone working really hard or is everyone aprehensive about this?

177985[/snapback]

A combination of both for me.

Actually, I'm looking at a futuristic concept on my screen(a real one.. you guys will know which one if I enter) and sketching it onto paper as my own piece because it differs from the real concept... We'll see what happens.

I've got a few good ideas:

• Slightly change a Ranger (like the headlights, maybe the grille). Call it a 2037 Ranger. It's feasible.
  • 27 years ago we had a '70 Challenger. Today, we have the same exact car, but with a different interior and suspension. So, trace the Challenger concept and make it look a little lower. Voila, 2037 Challenger!
  • Take the current GTO. Trace a picture of it. Call it retro. 2037 GTO, baby!
:sign0200: Edited by NOS2006

2037 seems too far out. 2017 would be more reasonable in my opinion. A decade changes alot (but, the more things change, the more they stay the same).

178338[/snapback]

1997:

Posted Image

2007:

Posted Image

:rotflmao:

Edited by NOS2006

2037 IS NOT TOO FAR AWAY !!!...25years out is the palce where designers are looking RIGHT NOW, cars 10 years off are already DONE...maybe you all just need some ideas ?....;

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

OH !!...sorry they are so F'in Big...BUT you may notice that I did the first 2 in the EARLY 1970's !!!!....EXACTLY,...34 years ago !!!!!

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

Here's my shoddy excuse for a sketch, I've had no time to do anything much...

Here's the 2037 GM Hy1. This is built off the Autonomy concept in that it has a skate like hydrogen powered chassis, although the body is not interechangable. It is driven by wire. The grill area in the front is tinted glass (since no grill is needed). Xenon headlamps, timted glass roof that darkens automatically if the sun is out (kinda like those nifty sunglasses).

Not too giddy about my exterior sketch so that may change before the end date??

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's 2037. Oil is too precious a commodity to just burn, and V-8 engines have gone the way of reality television, but you still want something that looks good, and goes fast?

You buy a Corvette, of course. Based on the HyWire platform, but with high powered electric motors mounted fore and aft, driving all four wheels to deliver supercar performance. Functional intakes help keep everything cool.

Posted Image

I think I'm going ot use this one instead for my exterior drawing.

What are the full rules anyway, does it have to be a full free hand scetch

or are people useing computer to enhance thier drawings?

Posted Image

Edited by BuddyP

I think I'm going ot use this one instead for my exterior drawing.

What are the full rules anyway, does it have to be a full free hand scetch

or are people useing computer to enhance thier drawings?

184596[/snapback]

You can use computer rendering to enhance your artwork.

BuddyP,

You may either enhance your hand-drawn artwork or - if you prefer - render it completely on the computer. However, if 100% rendered, it must also be 100% original. Modifying an existing image isn't rendering; its photoshopping and that would be a whole 'nother category of competition. That's basically it.

Bearrunner44, I take it you need an extra day or so? Anyone else? If so, speak up now.

Guest YellowJacket894

I'm sure if I can make it or not. I'm messing around with a floating-roof type glasshouse and getting it look right is...well, difficult.

Here is my 2037 Aurora. GM brought back Oldsmobile in 2012 after its great success with the Zeta platform. After a great turnaround in the American car market, Japanese cars have lost plenty of sales after Toyotas continuing decline in quality and blandness. They have been dubbed the 21st Centuries' Yugo. Honda has also dropped most of their lineup except for the Civic, Accord because their sales have stayed afloat. No reason for why people still drive them has yet to have been mentioned. Oldsmobile was launched to compete against the Koreans. Hyundai's continuous move upward in the luxury segment is one of Oldmobiles only competitiors. Now for the pics. The car is powered by a hydrogen fuel cell and also contains one electric motor in each wheel.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is my 2037 Chevrolet Astro, comletely redesigned and including 2 sunroofs, an auto food feeder, didital comfort enhancer, folding seats in all 3 rows (seats 9,), and much, much more! Since Honda lost 75% profit, they have dropped their Odyssey, Pilot, and Accord Hybrid and coupe. Ford Motor company dropped out of the market after losing 3/4 of their sales and selling Lincoln to Toyota/Lexus, which is the only near- competitive brand around. Kia/Hyundai are near extinction, and they only have the Sedona, Entourage, Sonata, and Elantra left. Saab and Subaru are doing ok, especially with their 9-4X and B9 Tribeca, which just got redesigned. Every other company is still in business, but minivan sales have dropped, so most lost their vans, giving the 2037 Astro a huge lead.

Posted Image

Edited by MarioBro88

Guest YellowJacket894

I'm dropping out. I'm not much good at going thirty years into the future.

However, I may post the result of this competition (which is just not that damned futuristic) soon. Look for a Chevrolet Laguna in the Showcase section.

I'm dropping out. I'm not much good at going thirty years into the future.

However, I may post the result of this competition (which is just not that damned futuristic) soon. Look for a Chevrolet Laguna in the Showcase section.

185280[/snapback]

im dropping out too. I suck at future gazing.