Scion xA, xB Also Retiring

Flybrian

TheCarConnection

Daily Auto News: Sep. 15, 2006

Posted Image

The first two models from Toyota's Scion division are on their farewell tour. But unlike Cher, Toyota really means it: the Scion xA and xB will end production this year in advance of two new models coming to the division in spring of 2007. "The xA and xB will always be very special models for us and have contributed greatly to Scion's success, but we're ready to move into our next product phase," said Mark Templin, vice president, Scion. The pair, on sale since June 2003, have sold more than 200,000 copies combined through July. The new models replacing the xA and xB will be 2008 models, Toyota said in a release.

It will be interesting to see how successful Scion is by basically having a 3-4 year product lifecycle and then killing it. I wouldn't be surprised if it worked against them in some cases; for instance, if they kill the xB and don't have anything similar to replace it, will some people be turned off and go elsewhere?

It will be interesting to see how successful Scion is by basically having a 3-4 year product lifecycle and then killing it. I wouldn't be surprised if it worked against them in some cases; for instance, if they kill the xB and don't have anything similar to replace it, will some people be turned off and go elsewhere?

The idea is to get products out of the dealerships before they get old. The buyers that Toyota is aiming for are very fashion conscious and want the newest products. I'm kinda surprised that they've lasted this long.

As Toyota stated before, they won't directly replace the xB and xA with the "next-generations" but with some other product that will be fashionable.

The idea is to get products out of the dealerships before they get old. The buyers that Toyota is aiming for are very fashion conscious and want the newest products. I'm kinda surprised that they've lasted this long.

As Toyota stated before, they won't directly replace the xB and xA with the "next-generations" but with some other product that will be fashionable.

193628[/snapback]

And I would expect these new products to be just as polarizing. I don't think Toyota can afford, marketing wise, to send out a mainstream Scion just yet.

And I would expect these new products to be just as polarizing.  I don't think Toyota can afford, marketing wise, to send out a mainstream Scion just yet.

Nor do I think they plan to make a "mainstream" model. I hope they don't since we have enough of them from every other brand. Who wants more cookie cutter cars?