Nissan/Renault Alliance: GM Outgoing, FMC Incoming

Variance

Nissan/Renault Alliance: GM Outgoing, FMC Incoming

Posted Image

At least, it looks that way:

Carlos Ghosn's Renault SA and Nissan Motor Co. may start talks with Ford Motor Co. as prospects fade for a link with General Motors Corp., two people with knowledge of the discussions said.

Executives from the Renault-Nissan team and Ford have been in touch in the past month about exploring a possible link, according to the people, who asked not to be named because the proceedings are private. William Clay Ford Jr. initially called Ghosn in July to discuss a partnership if the GM-Ghosn talks led nowhere, three people familiar with the matter said last month.

Read "Ford, Ghosn May Talk as GM-Renault Fades, People Say" @ Bloomberg

The two U.S. carmakers are considering alliances after Detroit-based GM lost $10.6 billion last year and Ford lost $1.44 billion in the first half of this year as buyers switched to models from Toyota Motor Corp.

For those out there that think there isn't a media bias against American cars, read that!! When I read that, is sounds like GM and Ford lost money due to people 'switching' to toyota. That's horse-$h!.

For those out there that think there isn't a media bias against American cars, read that!!  When I read that, is sounds like GM and Ford lost money due to people 'switching' to toyota.  That's horse-$h!.

196901[/snapback]

Is it really? My neighbor, a LONG time Jeep Grand Cherokee buyer (3 in the 10 years I've been her neighbor), went to trade in her Jeep for a new one as she usually does and came home with a Toyota Highlander Hybrid.

Is it really? My neighbor, a LONG time Jeep Grand Cherokee buyer (3 in the 10 years I've been her neighbor), went to trade in her Jeep for a new one as she usually does and came home with a Toyota Highlander Hybrid.

197329[/snapback]

A. Jeep is owned by Chrysler.... and Jeep is one of it's most stable brands.

B. Once does not a pattern make.

C. Ford and GM lost money to legacy costs. GM had it's best year <in terms of units moved> in something like 20 years in 2005.

197329[/snapback]

And your point is....?

I don't remember about GM but Ford was the one that initally contacted Ghosn. Not vice-versa.

196846[/snapback]

Ford has new leadership since then. I doubt they would want to be part of the Nissan-Renault mess. the new head of Ford is the guy that turned Boeing around.

And your point is....?

199436[/snapback]

Sorry, I didn't realize I had to spell it out word for word.

My point is that people ARE switching from American cars in general to Toyotas.

Sorry, I didn't realize I had to spell it out word for word.

My point is that people ARE switching from American cars in general to Toyotas.

200135[/snapback]

People are switching from all brands. Most people don't stay loyal anymore. Do you think no one traded in a Toyota for an American car?