Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Tigers made the playoffs! Yes!

daves87rs

I'd be wary of any team with a pitching staff that is either unproven in the postseason (Tigers,Twins) and of a team thats old and fragile (Yankees). I dont see how the Tigers have done it, their offense shut down in the second half (up until the last few days) and their pitching staff is Kenny Rogers and a bunch of youngn's. It would be a great story if they went all the way, but however they do in the playoffs, I have a feeling they will be the White Sox next year, less reliable pitching, not as many breaks. The Twins confuse me, they started off slow, then took off once Liriano was inserted into the rotation and haven't really looked back, even with Liriano being shut down. The Yankees have had their troubles this year but I really do like them to advance over whichever AL Central team they face in the playoffs. Mussina and Johnson aren't the aces they once were, I have a feeling that if the Yanks fail, it will be because one of those two breaks down. The A's seem solid, I think they're actually my pick for AL champions right now. The NL is just the Mets and a 15 team clusterf@#k.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats to the A's, Mets and most of all the Tigers. What an improbable run so far, Rogers looked great in Game 3 and the Yanks couldn't hit for $h!. I think the Padres will come back over the Cards, I dont like Carpenter on short rest, even at home.

I was very surprised by the Yankee-Tigers series. I guess great pitching can neutralize great hitting, but I was really expecting the Yanks to be unstoppable. That has to be one of the greatest if not the greatest lineup (non All-Star) in history. A-Rod hitting 8th (granted, this whole season was a huge slump)? And for Game 1 they had Cano, who was a few points from the batting title, hitting last?

But, give credit where it's due. The Tigers proved that it's not about what's on paper, it's about how you play in the game.

I really didn't think the Tigers pitchers would hold up, how many of them have set career highs in innings pictched and pitches thrown? Plus Rogers had been horrible in his previous playoff games. But the Tigers brought it and the Yanks didn't. Anyone else think A-Rod is a goner sooner rather than later? Texas is picking up a chucnk of his contract and if the Yanks picked up another chunk I could see a team taking a chance on him. San Fransisco maybe? The Yanks could get vindictive and ship him to Pittsburgh or another crappy team.

Yeah, I can see A-Rod getting the boot in NY. I really think a move back to shortstop would be ideal for him. He was one of the best fielding shortstops in the game, and it seems that when he moved to 3rd base, he made more mistakes fielding which let to a decrease in performance at the plate, or at least that's my perspective. He did win the AL MVP last year at 3rd base, but this year it seems he had more fielding/throwing issues.

It's funny that the Yankees fans are so demanding that they boo a player on their team that was the MVP the year prior if he doesn't get a hit every at bat.

I was shocked the Twins and Yanks went down without much of a fight. The Tigers stunk royally (pun!!!) at the end of the season and the Yankees had an unbelievable lineup, but it wasn't meant to be. Twins fans must be irate, but I was pretty thrilled when the Yankees lost. Too bad the best series of the playoffs was in the first round (Yanks-Tigers). The NL is a joke, so I won't bother watching any of NLCS.

But the Tigers brought it and the Yanks didn't.  Anyone else think A-Rod is a goner sooner rather than later?  Texas is picking up a chucnk of his contract and if the Yanks picked up another chunk I could see a team taking a chance on him.  San Fransisco maybe?  The Yanks could get vindictive and ship him to Pittsburgh or another crappy team.

202539[/snapback]

I'd love to see that happen, since nobody in the clubhouse likes him, and he's too much of a distraction. New York is too much for him. If they could get one or two good young arms for him, I'd be thrilled. However, it looks like Torre's getting the boot instead, to be replaced by Lou Piniella. Not sure how I feel about that yet.

Sheffield can go too - he's another cancer in the clubhouse. Abreu can pick up the slack offensively.

Gotta hand it to the Tigers. They played the game the way it's supposed to be played. Leyland better get manager of the year. Hey, they had a huge sign for GM beyond the left centerfield wall - I can't get too mad.

Comerica Park has a GM Fountain with usally 2 cars parked in it. also the Renisance center has a decal of a baseball and broken glass saying how far it is away from Comerica.

The problem with shipping A-Rod is that the Yankees have nobody to replace him with and the free agent market is pretty shallow this year. Unless the Cubs let Aramis Ramirez go (he has an opt-out clause) there really isn't a good third baseman they can sign to replace him, only guys like Julio Lugo (a natural shortstop) and Pedro Feliz, who isn't as good of a player as his homerun and rbi stats say he is. Only three players got on base less often tan Feliz, I dont see a player like that sitting well with Yanks fans. I'd love to see his bat in Chicago, the Cubs need a shortstop.

I was shocked the Twins and Yanks went down without much of a fight. The Tigers stunk royally (pun!!!) at the end of the season and the Yankees had an unbelievable lineup, but it wasn't meant to be. Twins fans must be irate, but I was pretty thrilled when the Yankees lost. Too bad the best series of the playoffs was in the first round (Yanks-Tigers). The NL is a joke, so I won't bother watching any of NLCS.

202558[/snapback]

yes, twins fans are irate Baby Jesus (Joe Mauer) couldn't get it done.

Tigers are now up 2-0 in the ALCS.

*grins*

Woo hoo!!!!!!!!

I just hope they are able to close it out at home ... sooner, rather than later ;).

Cort:33swm."Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"How can anybody be so lucky?" ... John Conlee ... 'Domestic Life'

What a good night to be a Detroit sports fan! :)

203854[/snapback]

Don't get too giddy, pal.

Posted Image

Eh, technically they're in Pontiac, MI, so you don't even have to consider them :wink:

most mets fans, and former dodger fans will root for any team the yankees

are playing. the guy next door hung a red sox penant up if thats any indication.

yankee pitcher cory lidle traded to the angels--headline from some met fan.

on a side note if the yankees won one more, cory lidle is still alive but wasnt meant to be--congrats to the tigers, they definately look good and if they and the mets make it, should be a good series.

most mets fans, and former dodger fans will root for any team the yankees

are playing.  the guy next door hung a red sox penant up if thats any indication.

204356[/snapback]

What's funny is that a good majority of Yankees fans (myself included) don't hate the Mets at all. They have a solid team top to bottom. I never understood why their fans always act like they have a chip on their shoulder.

What's funny is that a good majority of Yankees fans (myself included) don't hate the Mets at all. They have a solid team top to bottom. I never understood why their fans always act like they have a chip on their shoulder.

204373[/snapback]

i never got that one either. the dodgers i can somewhat understand as they had a meaningful rivalry. i only know a few friends parents who kept up with them after the move, many gave up on baseball altogether but a lot became mets fans too eventually.

but i still dont fully understand that chip. the yanks also have the most fans

outside of ny. some games i forget theyre playing away. not in detroit though.

what a crowd they have there.

Have the riots started yet? The drunks getting behind the wheels of their roadsters and flooring it onto the freeway as a form of celebration?

They are a good team and have proven it in the playoffs. Doesn't matter who comes out of the NL, the Tigers are going to win the World Series.

Have the riots started yet?  The drunks getting behind the wheels of their roadsters and flooring it onto the freeway as a form of celebration?

204904[/snapback]

ummm.. You have never driven I94 have you? The speed limit is 55 mph your doing a 83 in the middle lane then some 84 cutlass that is a mystery to why its running passes you like you were stopped. So the Driving fast and having drunks on the road is like any other night but you hear a couple of horns honking down the street. but i didnt hear of a smasked Kappa yet :AH-HA_wink:

I do think the Tiger deserve to win the World Series tho.

I've been skeptical all along. Detroit didn't have the experience of going into Yankee stadium, a lot of their players had never played a game in October after the grind of a 162 game regular season and they overachieved with a bunch of free swingers coming into the playoffs where pitching usually dominates. Is it just me or does that sound a lot like last years White Sox or 2003's Marlins or 2002's Angels or 2001's Diamondbacks? Yeah, I shouldn't haev been so hard on the Tigers, their pitchers have pitched and their hitters have hit. They're the real deal, at least for 2006. Rogers will be even older and they will still have a bunch of hit-or-miss guys in 2007 unless they make some changes, they may struggle like the 2006 White Sox, the 2004 Marlins, the 2003 Angels and the 2002 Diamondbacks.

the tigers are a little streaky. and the nl series is gonna take a little longer so they might ice up a little. and rogers is finally helping a team in the post season.

i wouldnt count on it much longer.

should be a good series no matter what or who. the crowds for all three teams

sound really amped.

Live from Dallas....

Glad that the Tigers won ... especially via Mag O's 3-run walk-off HR :).

As for the StL/NY series, wow ... I think it may take the 7 games, tho, who knows. I was in the StL area Saturday night ... it was good to hear John Rooney (sp?) on the Cardinals' broadcast; he used to broadcast for the White Sox.

Live from Dallas....

Glad that the Tigers won ... especially via Mag O's 3-run walk-off HR :).

As for the StL/NY series, wow ... I think it may take the 7 games, tho, who knows.  I was in the StL area Saturday night ... it was good to hear John Rooney (sp?) on the Cardinals' broadcast; he used to broadcast for the White Sox.

205431[/snapback]

Agreed. :)

The Cardinals did not win the World Series, the Tigers gave them the title.

209600[/snapback]

*snore*

I've been hearing that one ever since the "experts" realized they were going to be wrong about their predictions. Whatever excuse helps you sleep at night, I suppose.

The Tigers made it to the World Series and, for all intents and purposes, choked. St. Louis did what a good team does--they took advantage of EVERY mistake Detroit made. The Cardinals were free of any kind of pressure, and they certainly played like it. They had three extremely impressive pitching performances (Reyes, Carpenter, Weaver in Game 5), and two very good ones. The Tigers looked totally unprepared, but the Cardinals looked like a team that won 90+ games in the regular season (they most certainly would have if not for injuries throughout the year).

People who don't follow the Cardinals wrote them off, but those who do follow them knew that the overall record was very deceiving. Our players got healthy in the postseason, we did not have Jason Isringhausen closing for us (10 blown saves in the regular season--a big contributor to our final record), the starting pitching really got it together, and the bullpen was stellar, headed up by Adam Wainwright. Watching them win it all was almost surreal.

Good job, Cards! St. Louis deserves it!