DCX to Produce Their Own DSG

Variance

DCX to Produce Their Own DSG

Posted Image

*Above pictured is Volkswagen's DSG.

DaimlerChrysler has recognized the benefits of the DSG over conventional, torque converter-equipped automatics and has decided to invest $560 million in a new assembly plant in Kokomo, Indiana to manufacturer their own version of the DSG. Partnering with Getrag, the automaker plans on creating 700,000 units annually, with production set to begin in 2009. The models that stand to benefit from the new transmission are primarily front-wheel drive vehicles, including the Avenger, Sebring and all manner of minivan. Additionally, the transmission will find an ideal partner with D.C.'s new Phoenix V6 engine, which will also make an appearance in 2010.

Read "Chrysler developing dual-clutch tranny for FWD vehicles" @ Autoblog

Chrysler dealing with state of the art mechanical technology?...

I doubt anything bad can come of this............................ right?..........................

203001[/snapback]

Well, it isn't just Ma Mopar anymore, this is coming from DCX, DaimlerChrysler. So, it is really coming from Damiler in Germany, not the home of 'make sure you carry a spare ballast resistor' electical systems.

Well, it isn't just Ma Mopar anymore, this is coming from DCX, DaimlerChrysler. So, it is really coming from Damiler in Germany, not the home of 'make sure you carry a spare ballast resistor' electical systems.

203009[/snapback]

I'd venture to guess that more of it is coming from the Getrag part of the partnership

Even if Ma Mopar were in charge, I doubt they would screw it up as badly as you guys are claiming.

I'm sure Chrysler learned from the "Ultradrive" four speed automatics of the early `90's.

Allpar claims that with the development of the 6-speed version of the current (and vastly improved) 4-speed automatic, Chrysler hopes to rekindle memories of the durable 3-speed TorqueFlite unit.

I've only heard it as Gee-Trag.

But then again, it might end up as the EEE-ko-tek versus ECHO-tek

Does that mean they will be using push buttons instead of paddle shifters?  :rolleyes:

203077[/snapback]

Sure, why not?

Paddle shifters, push buttons, it's all the same.

Even if Ma Mopar were in charge, I doubt they would screw it up as badly as you guys are claiming.

I'm sure Chrysler learned from the "Ultradrive" four speed automatics of the early `90's.

Allpar claims that with the development of the 6-speed version of the current (and vastly improved) 4-speed automatic, Chrysler hopes to rekindle memories of the durable 3-speed TorqueFlite unit.

203069[/snapback]

I love the old TorqueFlite. I have seen them hold together very well in everything from an old truck to race cars