Help!

In 1955, Oldsmobile built a few Golden Anniversary 88s, painted black and gold two-tone. Burt Reynolds drove one in the movie "WW and the Dixie Dance Kings".

I've been agonizing over this since the Hershey show. If anyone has any information on this car, how many were built, and the significance of it, I'd really appreciate it.

Edited by ocnblu

In 1955, Oldsmobile built a few Golden Anniversary 88s, painted black and gold two-tone.  Burt Reynolds drove one in the movie "WW and the Dixie Dance Kings".

I've been agonizing over this since the Hershey show.  If anyone has any information on this car, how many were built, and the significance of it, I'd really appreciate it.

203761[/snapback]

Olds Golden Anniversary would have been 1947. In 1955 they had the Delta showcar and in 57 they had the Golden Rocket 88

That's why the car is a curiousity. It did exist, though, complete with "Golden Anniversary" badges (I seem to remember something about the hood and steering wheel having the badges). The only one I've seen was in the movie, but I remember reading something about it later. I just have not been able to find the reference.

As far as I know the name "Golden Rocket" was used in 1957 as a commemorative for fifty years of being in business, as a one year-only nameplate for the most modestly priced Oldsmobiles. Also, 1957 was the year the J-2 "Golden Rocket" V8 was introduced; maybe the nameplate was used to promote the new engine?

Olds' 50th was in 1947. 88 series 50th would've been in 1999. I've only ever seen the 3x2 motor (available in '57 & 58) called "J-2", not 'Golden Rocket J-2', but I might have missed that one.

XP715 is correct: the entry-level Olds line for '57 was officially the 'Golden Rocket 88'... the series was 'Dynamic 88' for '58.

Standard Catalog says Olds was commemorating GM's 50th --which was in 1958-- a year early. Seems strange (lot stranger things have happened)... but then again, by the time Olds was picking names for '57, they knew what the '58s looked liked. ;):P

Lot's of 'Golden's in this era, too: '56-58 Studebaker Golden Hawk, '57 DeSoto Golden Adventurer, '57 Olds Golden Rocket show car, '58-63 Plymouth Golden Commando V-8, '59 Chrysler Golden Lion V-8... a lot of marques were right around their 50th... maybe a subconscious collective? Also, Chevrolet built a special gold-colored '55 in honor of GM's 50 millionth vehicle.

I saw that movie once some years ago- my memory of the '57 in it is very fuzzy. Perhaps -- assuming the 88 for '57 is physically badged 'Golden Rocket 88'.... the movie storyline 'made something of it' as opposed to the car being merely a standard production unit??

EDIT: {re-read ocn's posts}-- if indeed the car is badged with "Golden Annivesary", I am puzzled. Will look into this....

Edited by balthazar

I need to rent this movie. Balthy, you think the movie car is a '57? Now that you mention it, it may have been the more voluptuous '57 over the stubby '55. I think you may be right, but I am not certain. Damn my fuzzy memory. Edited by ocnblu

Hmmm... it definitely looks like a '55 in the movie poster. I tried my local Blockbuster last night, the friendly young lesbian behind the counter gave me a quizzical look as she punched the title into her computer, to no avail.

Harl, I bet you have the poster of Burt's Cosmo centerfold, don't you? :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by ocnblu