Thinking of abuying a new car in the future

So at some point I want to/need to find a replacement for the Shadow. It's old and has a lotta miles. I don't plan to junk it but I do plan to just garage it...maybe have a project car in the future (convert to a turbo w/ 5-speed). Just speculation for now. My girlfriend and I have just been looking around online at what cars we can agree on for a replacement and that we'd both like. So for now anyway, it's been narrowed down to the following:

1990-96 Nissan 300ZX Turbo or non with a 5-speed manual.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A 1995-2000 Dodge Stratus with either manual or an automatic.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Or a 1998 - 2004 Dodge Intrepid

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Either one of these would be mainly my car.

We (and me especially) like the 300ZX cuz it is a sexy looking car, with good engines and great performance. It also has a great looking driver-oriented interior. Gas mileage isn't the greatest, but we figure we can use her Prizm (which gets up to 40 mpg) as a daily driver, and this as a car for fun and to take when the other person has the Prizm. Since it's a sports car manual is the only way to go. It's also the least practical, but then her pRizm can do people hauling duties.

--

The Stratus is a good choice because it's pretty roomy for it's size, is an atractive looking car even at it's age, has decent engines/transmissions, a decent interior design and is a fuel efficient car and stable highway cruiser. It also makes a better daily driver than the 300ZX. Manual or automatic is fine with this car.

--

The Intrepid is on the list because it's an attractive car that like the other ttwo, has aged gracefully (I think). It's also reasonably powerful and has a very nice interior design...plus it's very roomy, and I've seen an aftermarket kit that looks very tasteful (rare in the aftermarket world). It also has the highest scores on auto.consumerguide.com out of the 3 (8 our of 10 plus an award).

I considered an 1988 Pontiac Fiero fastback, but she doesn't like the exterior and we both hate the interior.

So that's our list. My questions are: 1.) what do you guys think of these options? 2.) Does anyone have personal experience with any of these cars?

It'll be a few months before any purcasing is done, since we need to save...but it never huits to start researching now!

I find the fact that you are cross shopping a 300zx and a Stratus extremely laughable...

:lol:

206096[/snapback]

Well we either go with cheap and practicle or not so cheap and not so practical (but way more fun). Also it depends on what's available in a reasonable area.

I personally want the 300ZX and I think she does too...so if we can save enough and find one in the area..that's what we'll get.

Edited by Dodgefan

We (and me especially) like the 300ZX cuz it is a sexy looking car, with good engines and great performance. It also has a great looking driver-oriented interior. Gas mileage isn't the greatest, but we figure we can use her Prizm (which gets up to 40 mpg) as a daily driver, and this as a car for fun and to take when the other person has the Prizm. Since it's a sports car manual is the only way to go. It's also the least practical, but then her pRizm can do people hauling duties.

The Stratus is a good choice because it's pretty roomy for it's size, is an atractive looking car even at it's age, has decent engines/transmissions, a decent interior design and is a fuel efficient car and stable highway cruiser. It also makes a better daily driver than the 300ZX.  Manual or automatic is fine with this car.

I considered an 1988 Pontiac Fiero fastback, but she doesn't like the exterior and we both hate the interior.

So that's our list. My questions are: 1.) what do you guys think of these options? 2.) Does anyone have personal experience with any of these cars?

It'll be a few months before any purcasing is done, since we need to save...but it never huits to start researching now!

206078[/snapback]

First, if you get the 300ZX, you are getting a reliable car with an excellent engine (twin turbo or not).

Second, from my personal experience, the Cloud cars are crap. My friend has a Breeze. Stable highway cruiser? If you like being unstable at any speed above 50. Decent engine? If you like rough, loud, and unreliable engines. The rest, I guess it is fuel efficient, semi-roomy for its size, and the design isn't all that bad.

Third, good, I dont allow you to get a Fiero anyways. :P

I find the fact that you are cross shopping a 300zx and a Stratus extremely laughable...

:lol:

206096[/snapback]

Yeah... That about had me on the floor. :lol:

I've heard horror stories about 300ZXs, many involving clutches/transmissions and interior shortcomings/things falling off/seats coming off of their tracks, galore. A guy in my office worked for Nissan for over a decade, kind of a corporate type job, and he once said that the 300ZX is "pure junk, garbage." Plus, its Japanese so the AC is going to work not so goodly in the summer. But I bet they're hella-fun to drive.

Cloud cars...ugh....I could see an emo kid buying a cloud car because "nobody like me, I want a crappy car to share in my pain."

An Intrepid wouldn't be a bad choice (just keep the Patron Saint of ropped transmissions in the car somewhere) especially if you can find an R/T with the 3.5. They're kinda cool. Along those same lines, why not a 300M?

I've heard horror stories about 300ZXs, many involving clutches/transmissions and interior shortcomings/things falling off/seats coming off of their tracks, galore.  A guy in my office worked for Nissan for over a decade, kind of a corporate type job, and he once said that the 300ZX is "pure junk, garbage."  Plus, its Japanese so the AC is going to work not so goodly in the summer.  But I bet they're hella-fun to drive.

Cloud cars...ugh....I could see an emo kid buying a cloud car because "nobody like me, I want a crappy car to share in my pain."

An Intrepid wouldn't be a bad choice (just keep the Patron Saint of ropped transmissions in the car somewhere) especially if you can find an R/T with the 3.5.  They're kinda cool.  Along those same lines, why not a 300M?

206114[/snapback]

I thought about a 300M...I really like the interior design of the car...but neither one of us likes the front end.

I've read about some cluctch issues with the 300ZX...but then the Prizm had to have it's clutch replaced...so no car is invulnerable...not even one with a a Toyota tranny :P So we'll look for one that's had the clutch replaced.

As for Japanese and A/C...well the the air that comes out of the vents in the Prizm isn't the strongest in the word but it blows cold....and has never been charged. it's also been time tested in the 100+ degree weather of Kansas.

I also read about the seat adjustment switches being cheap, but their was an upgrade available for the seats that featured stronger housing/switches.

--

Yeah yeah, weird cross shopping...I looked at a 3000GT but they're heavy and kind of expensive....the their AWD would be helpful in the winter months. The Stealth has that stupid-ass spoiler right behind the rear window...I have always hated that...on any car. The other 2 cars are there if we decided to go for a more practicle car/winter driver. I could easily live with the 300ZX and one of the Dodges ^_^

Anyway as far as I know, we're sold on the 300ZX...

Now it's a smal matter of debate about the steering wheel. I perfer the look and design of the 3-spoke...she perfers the 4-spoke cuz of teh way she holds the wheel. I think it's sorta ugly. By the way..does anyone know what models featured 3-spokes?

Hmmmm...should I go to Antarctica or the Bahamas for my next vacation??

Of course the 300ZX is a "nicer" car, but with the amount you will spend on repairs (just shop around for parts on that car!), you could have leased a new Stratus! Not to mention that a decent 300ZX will go for double what the (far more) common Chryslers will.

The Chryslers will be cheaper to fix, but I suspect you will need to fix them a lot.

The decision is strictly budget (Stratus/Intrepid) or dreaming (300ZX).

Hmm... I really couldn't tell you. I never even noticed any 4 spoke steering wheels on the Z32 300ZX until you mentioned it. I've seen every year, twin turbo and regular, with the 3 spoke steering wheel. It may have something to do with the airbag. It was unavailable in 90, optional in 91, and standard in 92 and after. I've only seen the 90 with the three spoke, but then I've seen 92-96's with the three spoke too.

My concern with the 300zx would be a car like that is most likely to be beaten to hell simply because it's a much more fun car to drive.

The other two can be found in excellent shape in greater numbers simply because they were more likely to be grocery getters.

As with any Chrysler FWD car, take your transmission to the local Cathedral to be exorsized.

If you're looking at cloud cars and LH cars, you might also want to consider W-bodies or G/H bodies. They have about equal excitement as the Chryslers without the "transmission surprise"

Why not do something like a LT1 F-body. It will be more reliable than the LH, and cheaper than the 300zx. Heck I think that the 300 is the worst choice. Expensive to fix, expensive to buy and low on power compared to performance. You need to decide what kind of car fits your needs first. If it is fun and sporty, go with a Miata. If it is good interior and a little more lux, an older BMW or Mercedes would probably work. If you want something reliable, American, and Cheap go with a Buick.

Your choice is to garbled to help you decide. Tell us your budget and what you want. I am sure that there are better options than all three of these in any, of the 3 you showed, categories.

Oh... just get the 300ZX. You dont want an LH car and you know it. You want that 300ZX. Get it. :D

206167[/snapback]

Yeah, I do want it :P

My concern with the 300zx would be a car like that is most likely to be beaten to hell simply because it's a much more fun car to drive.

The other two can be found in excellent shape in greater numbers simply because they were more likely to be grocery getters.

As with any Chrysler FWD car, take your transmission to the local Cathedral to be exorsized.

If you're looking at cloud cars and LH cars, you might also want to consider W-bodies or G/H bodies. They have about equal excitement as the Chryslers without the "transmission surprise"

206168[/snapback]

That's a possiblity (regarding the 300ZX) , but we'd certainly research the vehicle and see what sort of condition it's in. As for trannies, I've heard stories, but the one in the Shadow has 209-210k miles on it and still going.

Why not do something like a LT1 F-body.  It will be more reliable than the LH, and cheaper than the 300zx.  Heck I think that the 300 is the worst choice.  Expensive to fix, expensive to buy and low on power compared to performance.  You need to decide what kind of car fits your needs first.  If it is fun and sporty, go with a Miata.  If it is good interior and a little more lux, an older BMW or Mercedes would probably work.  If you want something reliable, American, and Cheap go with a Buick.

Your choice is to garbled to help you decide.  Tell us your budget and what you want.  I am sure that there are better options than all three of these in any, of the 3 you showed, categories.

206223[/snapback]

he 300ZX has either a 200 hp V6 or a 280 hp twin turbo (if i remember the specs...that's nothing to sneeze at).

As for budget i guess around 5-6,000...the most anyone in my family has ever pai for a car (sad I know).

For sporty cars we've considered a 3000GT/Dodge Stealth (without that stupid wing), and a Camarao (1993-2003 or even the previous gen).

Problem with the 3000GT is the price.

Problem with the Camaro is the gas gussling (but then they all kinda do so it's not too big a deal), the interior isn't so great, and the styling isn't my favorite).

LH cars are excellent. We had a 99 Concorde LXi, bought it used 3 years old with 45000kms on it and we did not have any troubles except for a parking brake which was part of a recall anyways. The only problem I saw was that it wouldn't shift into park sometimes but that was easily fixed, and the trim around the headlights was falling out but it was fixed easily with no concerns. We got rid of our Concorde a year and a half ago with 108,000 kms and had no problems. We jsut got rid of it because we needed another SUV for the winters up here. That is where we ended up with our Tahoe.