Saleen Camaro a Possibility?

Variance

Saleen Camaro a Possibility?

Steve Saleen (founder of Saleen Performance, manufacturer of limited edition, high-performance vehicles) in a recent interview with Road and Track Magazine hints that there may very well be a Saleen edition of the upcoming Camaro. Saleen has already had a hand in the history and marketing of the Camaro concept car, as the manufacturer of the Bumblebee Camaro car for the big screen movie edition of The Transformers. When asked of manufacturing a Saleen versino of the new Camaro, Steve Saleen is quoted as saying “It’s not legally official right now, but that’s what we’re hoping for.”

Read "Saleen Camaro and 2009 Camaro engines revealed by Steve Saleen" @ Camaro5

I really don't care who does what with it.. just as long as they don't bastardize it like everybody's done with the Mustang. There's the Ford, then the Shelby, Saleen, Roush, Hertz, etc. edition. Hell, when you give Hertz it's own style of your car, you know there's something wrong..

• 2 months later...

I think this could be great for Chevy.

To have one of their rival's biggest customizers [is that a word?] do something on their cars in a large-scale environment? That'd be sweet. Eat that Ford fanboys.

Unfortunately Scott Settlemire just said that Saleen has no involvement with Camaro right now

--> http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4720#post4720 :hissyfit:

It wouldn't make sense for a Saleen Camaro...the name has been linked with Ford products for 20+ years..

Saleen can do a great job on this car. I feel they have done a better job than SLP in not just marketing their cars but also in their bolt on parts they offer. I sell SLP at work and it has never been a great mover.

Saleen has really race their product and made a great rep for their cars. Roush also has one of the best line of bolt on but they have not been marketed as well.

SLP and GMMG is all we really have had and neither have been as great boon to the racing image of the F body or other cars they have produced. They both really need some kind of a racing heritage. Most everyone knows what a Saleen is but how many know what a Comp TA is? Not the tire but the Comp TA Pontiac.

It is suprising how many performance fans give a blank stare when you say GMMG. They had a killer ZL1 Camaro but few people knew about it.

If Shelby had not raced few would be paying the money they are paying today. In performance image is everything and you can't afford to not get them dirty at the track. Just look at what the C6R and SCCA showroom stock racing has done for the Vette today vs the many years the Vette did not race in the late 70's.

I really would be suprised if anyone is doing anything for the Camaro at this point as many in the after market have not been allowed to touch the car and only take pictures.

I just hope GM is smart enough to get the aftermaket involved a year before it hits the market as I will be getting the calls for parts as soon as the first truck load is delivered if not sooner when they place their order. This is a car like the old ones that everyone will want to make their own with or just faster.

No matter how fast GM makes it many will want to make it faster and that is what made the first gen Camaro what it is today.

Edited by hyperv6