Solstice Price quickly rising

So I was driving through my Pontiac dealer today checking out the Red Tag pricing, and I noticed that the Solstice is marked down from $28,300 to $27,900 and I think to myself that it must be a GXP, though it looks like the normal one. So I do a double-take, and sure enough, it's a base Solstice, with every option (including automatic) for $28k and change! So I go to check the window stick to see if they marked it up to $28k, but that was the real price, and the new base price is $21,3xx!

So whatever happened to under $20k? And also, does this mean that a loaded GXP costs over $30k?

It's not that the price is really bad now, it's just that I'd like to see GM keep the pricing closer to where it was. Maybe they think they can get more for them, but I would have rather seen them price it a little higher in the beginning and then keep the price the same so that it doesn't seem like they're raising it so much.

Thoughts?

That's weird, especially for a base that hasn't had any real new features or options added since intro...but kinda backs up something I was noticing too, that more and more Solstices I see (and not GXP's) are right at the $30k mark. Still not too bad, I guess, but it was sort of unspoken rise in pricing.

From Pontiac's website...

2006 Solstice - $20,490-$26,745

2007 Solstice - $22,115-$28,525

2007 Solstice GXP - $27,115-$30,900

From Saturn's website...

2007 SKY - $25,325-$28,529

2007 SKY RL - $29,025-$31,784

The high-end prices included all factory-installed options (chrome wheels, automatic, leather), no DIO junk like mudflaps.

Not good. The prices have jumped too far, too soon. One good thing about these is their affordability, and that factor is evaporating. And the turbo versions were supposed to be the screaming deal of the century. No more.

Is this greed, or a production capacity thing? Does this make any sense? To keep the order bank manageable, they jack up the prices to thin demand...

I wonder how many $19,900 Solsti Pontiac sold. If most of them were going in the upper end of the range, I don't blame GM for adjusting the price up. GM just needs to be smart and realize that someday the market for the high end models will be tapped out and they'll have to star making the lower end ones.

You didn't really think that the extended warrenty was free did you?

Edited by Oldsmoboi

Hey, if you don't like it, nothing's stopping you from spending $36-42K on a Z4 or $45-55K on a Boxster with similar performance.

Hey, if you don't like it, nothing's stopping you from spending $36-42K on a Z4 or $45-55K on a Boxster with similar performance.

218263[/snapback]

or $19k on a Miata... but then there's that whole blending into the wallpaper problem to deal with.