Chery Importation Plans Go Bust

Variance

Chery Importation Plans Go Bust

After nearly two years of hype — and apparently hyperbole — American auto entrepreneur Malcolm Bricklin says his Visionary Vehicles won't import Chinese Chery cars to the U.S. after all.

According to The Wall Street Journal, Bricklin had claimed he was ready to import about 250,000 Chery-made cars to the U.S. in 2007, in a lineup that would eventually swell to 20 models. But the timetable was postponed twice, and most recently he said the first vehicles wouldn't hit U.S. shores until 2008.

Edmunds

GOOD! ....riddance.

I actually was hoping one Chery would make it out here.

The reviews would be fun to read.

218398[/snapback]

Exactly---I could still see GM being slammed with a backhanded compliment:

"Chery is so craptacular it even makes the ol' General with it's ancient-style pushrod engines and it's never-say-bye 4-speed autos, look good."

I give the Chinese automakers 5-10 more years before they seriously try again and they could seriously accomplish their goals by that time. Though, I'm sure they're content in doing business mainly in China, the fastest growing market for automobile sales.

I give the Chinese automakers 5-10 more years before they seriously try again and they could seriously accomplish their goals by that time.  Though, I'm sure they're content in doing business mainly in China, the fastest growing market for automobile sales.

219340[/snapback]

Exactly. I would think its smarter to stay in China, learn from the Western automakers, grow and adapt, prove yourself as a manufacturer, then form a productive alliance with one of them (i.e. Chery and DCX) to provide small cars for the ____ market.

An en masse 'invasion' of the American market is shortsighted and needless since we're oversaturated as is.