Camry gets Motor Trend's Car of the Year

mustang84

i see a lot of old timers that my parents and in laws and parents of friends and such where this is true so i am not pumping hot air.

one tacoma, one avalon, one camlee. all within the last 18 months that I know of, where the import humping spawn had a tangible effect on parents that bought domestic their whole lives.

No surprise to see the Camry named Car of the Year, but what we're not hearing much about is that many owners of the 2007 Camry are very dissatisfied.

I read through the 62-page topic at Toyota Nation about the serious transmission problems. It appears that a Toyota Service Bulletin and new software download may have largely addressed the problem. Nonetheless, you all might find it interesting to look through the 267 reviews of the new Camry at yahoo. Sure, you'll see many who love the car, but you'll also see many who swear that they'll never buy another Toyota. I can't confirm that all of the comments are credible, but it shows that Toyota is not as invincible as many seem convinced that it is.

Read here:

http://autos.yahoo.com/toyota_camry-review...tart=1&show=atl

Edited by Centurion

No surprise to see the Camry named Car of the Year, but what we're not hearing much about is that many owners of the 2007 Camry are very dissatisfied.

I read through the 62-page topic at Toyota Nation about the serious transmission problems.  It appears that a Toyota Service Bulletin and new software download may have largely addressed the problem.  Nonetheless, you all might find it interesting to look through the 267 reviews of the new Camry at yahoo.  Sure, you'll see many who love the car, but you'll also see many who swear that they'll never buy another Toyota.  I can't confirm that all of the comments are credible, but it shows that Toyota is not as invincible as many seem convinced that it is.

Read here:

http://autos.yahoo.com/toyota_camry-review...tart=1&show=atl

221270[/snapback]

Ya, the new Camrys had problems with their new 6 speed automatics. I think they solved the problem now, not sure though.

i see a lot of old timers that my parents and in laws and parents of friends and such where this is true so i am not pumping hot air. 

one tacoma, one avalon, one camlee.  all within the last 18 months that I know of, where the import humping spawn had a tangible effect on parents that bought domestic their whole lives.

220697[/snapback]

the new Altima will make huge gains if it is a reliable car and the Camry's go down the toilet.

from the yahoo link

if I had to do it over again I wouldn't have bought this car

my friend has a ford fusion and that car (as much as I hate to say it is better all round then mine IMO)

Pros: Cheap to run

Cons: Bland design, only good on straight roads, what happened to driver enjoyment?

Bland to look at, boring to drive, badge worthless

Good point though: cheap to run and quality OK.

You really have to have NO interest in cars whatsoever to go for this one.

Bought this car and happy to own a Toyota, only to be disappointed with the transmission shifting and the engine hesitation coming from a stop. Cost quite a bundle to save the money for this car and wish I could return it and buy something that would back up its product; like 10 years/100,000 mile warranty, then I would not have to worry about breakdowns and save more money for repairs after 3 years. Made me think after the fact which is a bad decision and should follow a known brand of car and regret the purchase and mkes me not happy. Learned my lesson to research different cars and test all of them!

Anyway, Take off your Toyota glasses and do research! Take the time to read these and other comments from owners & would-be owners. I'm glad I walked away. To think I would put my family and I at risk merging onto freeway traffic....

Having driven Toyota vehicles for 20 years, this is the worst Toyota vehicle I've ever owned. The transmission is the worst!! My first Toyota was purchased because of a bad transmission in another brand and until this 2007 Camry, I've been very pleased with Toyota quality. This vehicle has no quality. The dealer tells me that they find nothing wrong with this car, that it is normal. If this is normal, then I never ever want another Toyota product. I've always recommended Toyota to my friends and have bought 6 Toyotas from this same dealer and salesman since 1997. So much for my loyalty to them. I've had it and never want another Toyota product. I cannot deal with this. I use my vehicle for business and when I put clients in my vehicle it is embearassing to drive them around in the car. I've received many bad comments from them. My wife refuses not only to drive the car but now won't even ride in it. Do not buy this vehicle ever!!!! Also, the Leather interior $1,500 is poorly installed and coming apart!!

it should be interesting to see what consumer reports will say in the end

Edited by regfootball

Why does the Camry get a free pass for using cheap materials? That crap on the A-pillars is the same as the horrible stuff on the upper dash of the Caliber. Sure, it's a place less often touched, but considering the auto journalists bitch about plastics on the lower dash or door panels where no normal person normally feels them up, it irritates me that NO ONE in the automotive journalist world has bitched about that.

The Fusion's interior beats this hands down.

Edited by Dodgefan

the new Altima will make huge gains if it is a reliable car and the Camry's go down the toilet.

from the yahoo link

it should be interesting to see what consumer reports will say in the end

221400[/snapback]

Funny that none of those problems were reported in their last edition. The car was quoted as perfect.

Nothing is perfect.

Well, as far as CR, MT, etc. are concerned it is better to have a 6 spd tranny that doesn't work half the time than a 4 spd automatic that is reliable as hell.

funny toyota can't seem to fix their tranny issues. my 500 had the hesitation / elec thorttle issues, but a simple ECU reflash cured it and now its great to drive. The 07 Camlee has been on the market for almost a year and it seems like the horrible problem is just as bad as when they put out the car.

i read those yahoo posters, they are pretty pis$ed off at their cars and Toyota. Toyo is royally screwing the pooch on this one! i don't mind. I hope their tundra launch goes 5 times as bad.

we're talking huge lemon law material.

Edited by regfootball

funny toyota can't seem to fix their tranny issues.  my 500 had the hesitation / elec thorttle issues, but a simple ECU reflash cured it and now its great to drive.  The 07 Camlee has been on the market for almost a year and it seems like the horrible problem is just as bad as when they put out the car.

i read those yahoo posters, they are pretty pis$ed off at their cars and Toyota.  Toyo is royally screwing the pooch on this one!  i don't mind.  I hope their tundra launch goes 5 times as bad.

we're talking huge lemon law material.

221610[/snapback]

Some of the Toyota devotees on Toyota Nation have questioned why Toyota has not issued a recall on the 2007 Camrys, rather than simply issuing a service bulletin. Obviously, a service bulletin remains under the media's radar. One of the Toyota Nation folks suggested that some of the Toyota dealership service departments were being literally overwhelmed with 2007 Camry transmission problems. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I would think that this will certainly impact the Initial Quality results in the next J.D. Powers survey. If so, I'll be waiting to see whether the media chooses to pick it up. Lexus ES cars have been similarly affected by the transmission problem, but the Lexus dealers are being very careful to treat their customers well.

letter from auto extremist reader comments on camry as COTY

Camry COTY?

Gimme a break, Motor Trend. Few would doubt that the Camry lineup does not represent a nameplate lineup most carmakers would kill to have in their stable. Camry is a veritable money machine. But the problem with declaring the entire Camry lineup the "2007 Car of the Year" completely avoids the question as to what a great car truly is. If by "Car of the Year" Motor Trend actually means "Driving Appliance of the Year" then truly they have hit the proverbial nail on the head. Soulless appliances that don't even acknowledge the notion of "joy in driving" scarcely count as "cars" in my book.

I'll take a twin-turbocharged BMW 335i over a fleet of Camrys anytime.

Edited by regfootball

Anyways the good news is that the gods of common sense over at Car and Driver which had nominated the Camry for their 10 Best could NOT find enough to make it a winner. I another words for the Toyota cognocenti THE CAMRY FAILED!!!!!

Bah, that didnt make me half as mad as the blatant "Look the Silverado has new competition! Ooohhh look out GM!" in the middle of the Silverado review. When's the last time that a GM vehicle was slapped in the middle of a Toyota review and said "Gm getting on the ball! Watch out Toyota..." Thank goodness not everyone is required to read these rags. The Camry won because of its footprint and how much it evolved. I felt that the Tahoe or Suburban or Yukon did this is as well, but they didnt get the nod for SUVOTY. Sigh. Its like fighting the tide...the import humping tide...