FIRST LOOK: 2008 Buick Enclave

CSpec

What do you think of the new Enclave?  

221 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new Enclave?

• 5 - Wow! Truly world-class
    • 4 - Pretty great! But...
    • 3 - Average, not a stand out
    • 2 - Okay. I guess
    • 1 - Puke-o-rama

Ok, you guys will think I'm a geek. I voted just OK. It's not THAT distinctive...looking too much like the Infiniti SUV/crossovers one sees on the road. Plus, I'm not a fan of bulbous styling and it definitely has some of those contours. You can do a more slabbish car/SUV/crossover and still inject personality into it. Still, I hope people buy them and Buick fetches increased market share!

I voted pretty great but... because although the interior is undoubtedly world-class, the exterior is a bit blobby, and the front of the Enclave is unresolved at best. The grille, headlamps, and rest of the fascia don't look like they go together as a single, cohesive, and attractive design. To me, it's what the front of the Enclave would look like if BMW's Chris Bangle were involved.

Have you seen it in person? Nope, didn't think so...

PS I voted 4 too, but for a reason with substance: The center stack downgrade from leather and real wood to plastic and plood is unacceptable. GM should have made the stack squishy.

Edited by Croc

PS I voted 4 too, but for a reason with substance: The center stack downgrade from leather and real wood to plastic and plood is unacceptable.  GM should have made the stack squishy.

229104[/snapback]

How much do you want this thing to cost?

Also, you don't know its not squishy.

How much do you want this thing to cost?

Also, you don't know its not squishy.

229107[/snapback]

I'd have it priced competitively with the RX330 and MDX. They have real wood and squishy center stacks. And yes, the Enclave has the same plastic as the other Lambdas. Why else would it have the same seam as the Outlook at the base of the stack/front of console? It looks fine and all, but compared to the concept it's a definite downgrade.

And as for wood...the 2001 Aurora had real wood and it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Enclave is a luxury vehicle...therefore it needs real wood.

Edited by Croc

And as for wood...the 2001 Aurora had real wood and it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Enclave is a luxury vehicle...therefore it needs real wood.

229114[/snapback]

Remember when all Cadillacs - even the 'GMC' Escalade - had real Zebrano wood trim? And remember how everyone who thought they knew anything bitched how fake it was? And remember how some of the more recent models with faux woodgrain were lauded as 'improvements?'

Unless its bad - like Kia/Hyundai bad - Most people don't know the difference.

P.S. The first Aurora also had real wood...and more of it ;).

The Enclave could have the same seam as the Outlook and have better plastic. I don't know that it will for sure, but don't the Lucerne and DTS share some "seams"? DTS has better plastics...

Also I don't remember the RX330's center stack being very squishy unless they've upgraded it.

Around the controls is all metallic-look plastic...but it is designed in a way that the dash itself and the sides of the console are squishy, not the hard plastic GM uses.

229282[/snapback]

Croc, you do not know for a fact that the dash is NOT squishy. Remember how you told everyone who never drove the Lucerne with the 3.8 to complain about the power? Well, now people are telling you, don't say the material isn't "squishy" if you haven't touched it yet.

Also, I agree with you on the wood aspect... it should have real wood. I've been saying this about Buicks for a long time.

Croc, you do not know for a fact that the dash is NOT squishy.  Remember how you told everyone who never drove the Lucerne with the 3.8 to complain about the power?  Well, now people are telling you, don't say the material isn't "squishy" if you haven't touched it yet.

229329[/snapback]

Ummmmmm I drove the Lucerne with the 3.8 and found power to be lacking as well as it being a pretty thrashy, unrefined engine. If you have sentimental value towards that hoary old pushrod I cannot help you...but compared to the competition the 3.8 is very lacking.

As for the Enclave, it just LOOKS like plastic. And since it's in a place most GMs (and all Buicks) cheap out on, and given that its platform mates have plastic there...yea I'm calling plastic. At the very least it's a problem since it LOOKS like plastic. If it's a higher grade material, it shouldn't look like plastic.

If you want to nit-pick my opinion, whatever, the BIG PICTURE is that I feel the interior was cheapened too much from the concept, especially since Lutz said the leather dash/stack would stay. And that sure doesn't look like a leather dash/stack!

Ummmmmm I drove the Lucerne with the 3.8 and found power to be lacking as well as it being a pretty thrashy, unrefined engine.  If you have sentimental value towards that hoary old pushrod I cannot help you...but compared to the competition the 3.8 is very lacking.

As for the Enclave, it just LOOKS like plastic.  And since it's in a place most GMs (and all Buicks) cheap out on, and given that its platform mates have plastic there...yea I'm calling plastic.  At the very least it's a problem since it LOOKS like plastic.  If it's a higher grade material, it shouldn't look like plastic.

If you want to nit-pick my opinion, whatever, the BIG PICTURE is that I feel the interior was cheapened too much from the concept, especially since Lutz said the leather dash/stack would stay.  And that sure doesn't look like a leather dash/stack!

229346[/snapback]

Who said I have sentimental value towards the 3.8? I was the one calling it underpowered when you defended it and said I should drive one before I make a comment. I'll find the post later.

Oh, as for nit-picking people's opinions, I bow to the queen. <_<

Have you seen it in person?  Nope, didn't think so...

PS I voted 4 too, but for a reason with substance: The center stack downgrade from leather and real wood to plastic and plood is unacceptable.  GM should have made the stack squishy.

229104[/snapback]

Please. It couldn't possibly be that much better from pictures to in person than the new Chrysler Sebring. There. You read that right, that's what I'm comparing the Enclave to so others may understand how I feel. Especially since I saw it IN PERSON in concept form at the 2006 NAIAS. Yeah, looks pretty much the same.

And, a reason for substance?? Excuse me for sounding impudent, but I believe that the exterior styling of a vehicle is extremely important. And this just doesn't looke appealing to me. The Lucerne is much better all around as far as outer appearances go. The best looking Buick sedan in a long, long time.

Squishy?? Do you know if it really is? It could be a delightfully soft plastic with a matte finish for all we know, lol.

Hehe. The only thing I associate hoary with is frost... as in hoar frost. This comes from my elementary years being fascinated with weather.