Annan: Life for Iraqis worse than with Saddam

CSpec

LONDON - The level of violence in Iraq is "much worse" than that of Lebanon's civil war, outgoing U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan said in an interview aired Monday.

Speaking to the British Broadcasting Corp., Annan agreed that the average Iraqi's life is worse now than it was under Saddam Hussein and called the situation in the country "extremely dangerous."

"Given the level of violence, the level of killing and bitterness and the way that forces are arranged against each other, a few years ago, when we had the strife in Lebanon and other places, we called that a civil war; this is much worse," Annan said.

Last week, when asked by reporters whether the fighting in Iraq could be considered a civil war, Annan said "almost."

"I think given the developments on the ground, unless something is done drastically and urgently to arrest the deteriorating situation, we could be there. In fact we are almost there," he said last week.

In the BBC interview, Annan agreed when it was suggested that some Iraqis believe life is worse now than it was under Saddam Hussein's regime.

'They could go out' under Saddam

"I think they are right in the sense of the average Iraqi's life," Annan said.

"If I were an average Iraqi obviously I would make the same comparison, that they had a dictator who was brutal but they had their streets, they could go out, their kids could go to school and come back home without a mother or father worrying, 'Am I going to see my child again?'" he said.

"And the Iraqi government has not been able to bring the violence under control. The society needs security and a secure environment for it to get on — without security not much can be done — not recovery or reconstruction," Annan added.

He urged the international community to help rebuild the country, saying he was not sure Iraq could do it on its own.

Only because they choose to make it this way. Their current government is not designed to oppress people, though it is not really up to the task. These people are reinforcing the stereotype that this corner of the world is full of unruly people incapable of going about life in an orderly manner. I don't know where all the sickness of haphazard killing based on religious fanaticism is going to take them. It's very sad. That entire area could, and ought to, be able to enjoy a lifestyle that is found in other more progressive Muslim areas such as Turkey and the United Arab Emirates, for example.

USA Good at = Conquering country's and Covert secret Espionage type stuff.

USA Bad At = Controlling country's after we conquered them And taking leaders out of position. Examples The Philippines and Cuba. Also Castro for the other bad part.(The swim suit with poison :nono:)

Most of these countries are artificial entities established during colonial times, usually by Great Britain and France. I cannot believe that Bush and Co. would not have imagined that once the universally hated/feared leader was removed that the country would not dissolve into thousand year old tribal jealousies/hatred. It has happened in far more civilized "countries" like the former Czechoslovakia that imploded once a hated ruler (Russia) was removed. Why would Bush not conceive that could happen?

Most of these countries are artificial entities established during colonial times, usually by Great Britain and France.    I cannot believe that Bush and Co. would not have imagined that once the universally hated/feared leader was removed that the country would not dissolve into thousand year old tribal jealousies/hatred.  It has happened in far more civilized "countries" like the former Czechoslovakia that imploded once a hated ruler (Russia) was removed.  Why would Bush not conceive that could happen?

223883[/snapback]

Cuz he's an idiot.

They all just need to swear their rightousness on the Koran........then everything will be alright and all those generations of inbred insanity will suddenly be gone........

I know, let just bring them all over here.........hell we got room, and a proven beurocractic infrastructure that knows how to deal with the downtroden. Just think of all the new government jobs it would create.

What was that old Beatles tune again ?

"I wanna hold your hand " ?

Only because they choose to make it this way.  Their current government is not designed to oppress people, though it is not really up to the task.  These people are reinforcing the stereotype that this corner of the world is full of unruly people incapable of going about life in an orderly manner.  I don't know where all the sickness of haphazard killing based on religious fanaticism is going to take them.  It's very sad.  That entire area could, and ought to, be able to enjoy a lifestyle that is found in other more progressive Muslim areas such as Turkey and the United Arab Emirates, for example.

223848[/snapback]

You forgot Bahrain :P

Obrigado, eu esquici as outras nacoes mais liberais

224162[/snapback]

Well, in the Persian Gulf Bahrain is the only more liberal country besides the UAE. Kuwait's also interesting: the laws are way less liberal than in Bahrain and the UAE, yet it is the Gulf country where women are more emancipated.