Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Hit 230,000 miles this am on the Regal

It's a 1992. In the near-term future, I will have to sell it. I figure that, with less than 20,000 miles to go to hit the BIG 250,000, I'll keep it that long.

Ok, the guidebooks say about $ 1,400. ARE THERE PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO WOULD PAY $ 1,200 to $ 1,400 for a car (in excellent shape, mind you) that has a QUARTER OF A MILLION MILES?

Edited by trinacriabob

No. Because I have no idea what has (or hasn't) been done those past quarter million. Honestly, if my car racked up that many miles, I'd just keep it in the 'family' because its never going to be worth that much to anyone other than you. No one who can afford to maintain a car properly would buy it and those that would buy it - i.e. the poor - would just trash it up.

Move to Ontario: GM and the Clean Air Fund will give you $1,000 credit toward a new GM vehicle AND tow it for free!

Otherwise, how much gas is in the tank?

If it runs like it only has 75,000, then yes.

224165[/snapback]

Believe it or not, it does....it was over-maintained (oil every 2.5 K, trans fluid every 18 K, tunes every 30 K), so it is extremely quiet running and the shifts feel like they did when it was new.

Let me see if I can't find a nice Grand LeMans to trade... :AH-HA_wink:

224236[/snapback]

Listen, you....just kidding...hey that nice metallic dark blue GLM you found me in a suburb of Seattle wasn't exactly being given away, either, but I think the mileage was on the low side...

Edited by trinacriabob

No way I'd pay for that many miles in a car. Even 174k miles is pushing it for me...but the car runs and drives great so I bought it. That's too many miles to be worth more than a thousand. Why not just keep it in the family?

224328[/snapback]

And that's fine...I'd take a "grand" or so...I can't keep it once I get the new car and I wouldn't want to pay for some major repairs which I haven't yet had to do just to keep a second car around!

I probably would pay $1k for a car with 250k if it were in as good of condition as you say... depending on what car it is. Those Regal coupes are cool and I miss our old 89. As I said, I probably would. Mileage don't mean much to me, hence why I bought a 161k (now 171k) Millenia. Other than abuse and area related issues, it's been good. Though, it is more or less just a beater, which I hate to admit.

Awsome acccomplishment on the 230K! 8)

No offense but I would never pay $1000 for a car

with 250K. Esp. when I bought a MINT 1986

Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham with 172K for $600.

Those Regal coupes are cool and I miss our old 89.

224486[/snapback]

Bingo, of that set of quadruplet coupes (Regal, Cutlass, GP and Lumina) to ride on the W-body platform in the late 80s and early 90s, the Regal was "the looker!" I agree wholeheartedly. That's why I've treated it so well. Thus, if someone wants that body style, there aren't many around to choose from.

• 2 weeks later...

If you itemize your deductions on your tax return, think about donating the car to charity. Most will come pick it up. Then you can list the full retail value as the amount of the donation...then some percentage of that value counts on your itemized deductions for Federal return and sometimes state as well.

Edited by BigPontiac

I've warmed up to those Regals in recent years, nice to see one up the stratosphere of mileage, like another certain 90s W-body I know of (who's coming up on 248k)... 8)

Def. keep it and see how far it will go! Good luck! For your next car, get something with low miles on it, like 150k. :P