Preview: 2007 Toyota Tundra Crewmax

Preview: 2007 Toyota Tundra CrewMax

December 5, 2006 – Torrance, CA - Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc. will stage the world premiere of the all-new 2007 Tundra CrewMax full-size pickup at a press conference at the 2007 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. The four-door CrewMax will offer the most room, versatility and storage in the Tundra lineup.

Larger in every dimension than the model it replaces, the 2007 Tundra is available in 31 model configurations, with a choice between 4x2 and 4x4 drivetrains, and towing capacity of more than 10,000 lbs. This second-generation Tundra offers three cab styles, three wheelbases, three bed lengths, three engines, and three trim levels.

The next-generation Tundra was designed and engineered in the United States and will be assembled exclusively at the company's truck plants in Texas and Indiana.

The press conference will be held on Sunday, January 7 at 12:10 PM Eastern Time in the Riverview Ballroom in COBO Center and simulcast live to the Toyota display area at the show. A video clip of the press conference will be available for viewing following the event on the Toyota.com website.

[source: Toyota Motor Sales]

---

Here's a mediocre-quality spyshot until then:

Posted Image

Jesus H. Christ, man...I thought the thing looked ridiculous before I saw this. Tell me Toyota isn't actually planning on selling that to TRUCK guys. God, the thing looks like it can carry more people than cargo! They might as well lop off the bed on that trim and sell it as an SUV.

Edited by AxelTheRed

I'm sorry but that's just ugly. Sure, the picture isn't that great, so the fact that it looks like the bed is sagging may be the resilt of the poor quality, but you can make out the proportions pretty easily...and they ain't pretty. Makes the Mega Cab look graceful.

224332[/snapback]

I'll say one thing for the CrewMax, the C-pillar doesn't look to be as ridiculously thick as the Mega Cab's.

Posted Image

I'm not sure there's that big of a market for these monsters. The Mega Cab doesn't seem to be making much noise in the market, and I see no reason why this will be any different. The rear seats in crew cabs are pretty comfortable for most adults anyways.

224335[/snapback]

I sort of understand Dodge's reasoning for the Mega Cab as the Quad Cab was really an extended cab with forward-hinged doors, not really a true crew cab. Call it a case of overcompensation.

Toyota's simply trying to out-big the "big boys" with the CrewMax and little more, IMO.

>>"I'll say one thing for the CrewMax, the D-pillar doesn't look to be as ridiculously thick as the Mega Cab's."<<

Check out the overly-thick pillar on the "double cab" tundra (of course, you meant C-pillar, not D).

224349[/snapback]

Yeah, I don't like that either...

And yes, typos own me.

It's probably 5'9" or so like the GM shortbox.

The Sierra/Silverado short bed measures 6'5", but take another look at the sheetmetal between the front of the tundra's bed & the rear wheelwell- I've never seen a truck with such a short span there. HAS to be much closer to a 4.75' bed than a 6' bed.

That's a major F-up.

It's probably 5'9" or so like the GM shortbox.

The Sierra/Silverado short bed measures 6'5", but take another look at the sheetmetal between the front of the tundra's bed & the rear wheelwell- I've never seen a truck with such a short span there. HAS to be much closer to a 4.75' bed than a 6' bed.

That's a major F-up.

224829[/snapback]

I'm sure it'll be compensated for through Toyota PR (The media) Just like the horrible fit and finish of the Ridgelines tailgate ;) Well, actually, the Ridgeline is a pretty useless piece of garbage but it still won major accolades and you can practically hear the ass kssing when you read the articles about it... So there goes...

And I assure you that we'll be seeing A LOT of :bs: like this sprinkled throughout the articles to make all the naive americans believe that Toyota actually cares about this country:::::::

The next-generation Tundra was designed and engineered in the United States and will be assembled exclusively at the company's truck plants in Texas and Indiana.

The bed of the half ton Silverado Crew Cab is 5' 9".  The Ford SuperCrew's is slightly smaller at 5' 7".  The Tundra's bed looks about the same size as the Ford's.

Oops: the tundra is so butchy & tough looking :rolleyes: , I only looked at 2500-3500-series specs -- the 1500 does indeed offer a 5'9" shortbed.

But that tundra still looks to have a foreshortened bed via the 'quarter panels' on the box- anyone see any specs yet?