Sign in to follow this  
Variance

Autoextremist: Ford gets design religion - five...

Not every car has racy lines or a sleek exterior.  While I like sporty-looking vehicles, they just aren't for everyone.  If you are looking to sell a family-sedan and wish to feature safety or interior volume, having sleek exterior lines probably isn't going to be on the design list.  The Ford 500 is styled to address it's target audience (& I think it does that quite well).  You'd think that an "automotive expert" such as the extremist would understand such a simple premise.

[post="47541"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

How do you explain the lack of sales? Pricing is in the upper range of the Taurus, but starting in the midrange of the Accord and Camry. The 500 offers tons of space, greaat chassis dynamics, and a good quality interior. Engine power is adequate, and considering your thoughts on styling you must think engine power is not prioritized in this segment either.

I subscribe to the thought that engine power and good style will be a plus that will be attractive to many people. A lot like Mazda has effectively marketed sport in their cars, and delivered the goods to back it up in the 6. Also how Nissan put an emphasis on engine power and design, that paid off well for them. Good design is what will save the American automakers, don't doubt it one bit. I do believe good quality is the foundation for any successful automobile, but a nice stylized and attractive design will increase the gotta have factor tenfold.

So wrong, the US/Canada Fusion is the best looking car that Ford makes. The Global version of the Fusion is as crapulous as a Camry.

[post="41905"][/post]

Ummmmmm . . . . :huh:

What exactly are you talking about? The completely unrelated, though identically named hatchback thing that's sold overseas?

Posted Image

Or the Mondeo, the great mid-sizer that ford should've brought to the US five years ago?

Posted Image

Or perhaps something entirely different altogether?

PS: that sketch of the Montego pisses me off. Such a great drawing that translated so poorly into real life.

Not every car has racy lines or a sleek exterior.  While I like sporty-looking vehicles, they just aren't for everyone.  If you are looking to sell a family-sedan and wish to feature safety or interior volume, having sleek exterior lines probably isn't going to be on the design list.  The Ford 500 is styled to address it's target audience (& I think it does that quite well).  You'd think that an "automotive expert" such as the extremist would understand such a simple premise.

[post="47541"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

its confusing that they rip on 500's etc. when the camry and accord are atrocious dogs,visually.

Nope. Get some Bondo and a wrecked Grand Am and we'll talk.

Is that 'yours' yours though?

[post="47542"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

yup, that's it...lack of hp and all. by the time i'm sick of this one the SVT 500 with the AWD and 320 hp v8 yamaha motor should be out...

yup, that's it...lack of hp and all.  by the time i'm sick of this one the SVT 500 with the AWD and 320 hp v8 yamaha motor should be out...

[post="49419"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Looks good, man. I'm still not a fan of the greenhouse, but hey, I drive 'interesting' cars, too.

BTW: I have a '98 Ford Taurus SHO now...on Gran Turismo 4. If I could, I'd name it the RegRacer.

How do you explain the lack of sales? Pricing is in the upper range of the Taurus, but starting in the midrange of the Accord and Camry. The 500 offers tons of space, greaat chassis dynamics, and a good quality interior. Engine power is adequate, and considering your thoughts on styling you must think engine power is not prioritized in this segment either.

I subscribe to the thought that engine power and good style will be a plus that will be attractive to many people. A lot like Mazda has effectively marketed sport in their cars, and delivered the goods to back it up in the 6. Also how Nissan put an emphasis on engine power and design, that paid off well for them. Good design is what will save the American automakers, don't doubt it one bit. I do believe good quality is the foundation for any successful automobile, but a nice stylized and attractive design will increase the gotta have factor tenfold.

[post="48547"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

asians are allowed to sell bland looking vehicles. the public and press still will not allow it to be ok for domestics to do so.

the 500 is developing a cult following but has not hit mass market appeal yet. i do believe the lack of hp and bland styling are to blame. the old folks drawn to this car will not buy it after driving it because it has steering and handling more like a euro car instead of a domestic. they will not like the firm seats, instead they would prefer barcalounger seats. finally, the engine revs well and has a throaty sound, but lacks torque and the lazy feel that the geezers love. whatever marketing points they score with the oldsters on the high seating postion, space, value and conservative style, they lose on everything else. geezers don't like the big console and floor shifter either.

however, the 500 is meant to be a boomer car, and aging boomers won't excuse the lack of tire shredding power and the anonymous styling.

its reprehensible that Ford did not nail it 100% from the start with this car, however, it doesn't mean the car is total crap. its a pretty good car overall, in spite of its weaknesses. I'd bet the Impala will score higher in comparo tests. For me, the Impala I would have been able to live with (SS) would have cost me much more to get into and does not have an adequate back seat.

Ford will fix the problems, hopefully in 12-18 calendar months. We'll see.

I will say this, the car is SOLID. Damn thing is WELL BUILT. Its like a brick crap house. The strut tower brace alone looks like an insane street fighting tool.

BTWthe 06 impala is selling like gangbusters here...... Edited by regfootball

Looks good, man. I'm still not a fan of the greenhouse, but hey, I drive 'interesting' cars, too.

BTW: I have a '98 Ford Taurus SHO now...on Gran Turismo 4. If I could, I'd name it the RegRacer.

[post="49420"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

regracer is fine by me.........

i had a thought this weekend that it would have been nice to find that lightly used 03 aurora v8 for a price i could afford.........

in that picture the car looks a bit rakish actually. in person its as dull as they say....but get this...the middle aged milf moms at the daycare who've seen it LOVE the car. weird...but milfs seem to dig this car....... Edited by regfootball

asians are allowed to sell bland looking vehicles.  the public and press still will not allow it to be ok for domestics to do so. 

the 500 is developing a cult following but has not hit mass market appeal yet.  i do believe the lack of hp and bland styling are to blame.  the old folks drawn to this car will not buy it after driving it because it has steering and handling more like a euro car instead of a domestic.  they will not like the firm seats, instead they would prefer barcalounger seats.  finally, the engine revs well and has a throaty sound, but lacks torque and the lazy feel that the geezers love.  whatever marketing points they score with the oldsters on the high seating postion, space, value and conservative style, they lose on everything else.  geezers don't like the big console and floor shifter either.

however, the 500 is meant to be a boomer car, and aging boomers won't excuse the lack of tire shredding power and the anonymous styling.

its reprehensible that Ford did not nail it 100% from the start with this car, however, it doesn't mean the car is total crap.  its a pretty good car overall, in spite of its weaknesses.  I'd bet the Impala will score higher in comparo tests.  For me, the Impala I would have been able to live with (SS) would have cost me much more to get into and does not have an adequate back seat.

Ford will fix the problems, hopefully in 12-18 calendar months.  We'll see.

I will say this, the car is SOLID.  Damn thing is WELL BUILT.  Its like a brick crap house.  The strut tower brace alone looks like an insane street fighting tool.

BTWthe 06 impala is selling like gangbusters here......

[post="49424"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

it was a rhetorical question. I know how I explain the tepid sales, a tepid car overall. No boom in the marketplace, no grab your attention design in the first place. The Asians don't have to design to grab attention because they've already captured the hearts and minds of the public through careful attention to details, perfectionism, consistently improving quality, and legendary reliability. They don't need to do anything any better, and if they would style and design like Americans and europeans can, well they would probably be indestructible.

The cardinal rule for the domestics has to be function follows form. A cool design will make a lot of things forgivable. A gotta have design is the most important key towards recapturing the hearts of greater America. Particularly in the most affluent markets, and in the luxury sector, people increasingly are looking for the most stylish, refined piece. The new CTS should do this well.

I test drove a Cobalt SS SC this weekend, boy what a cool looking car, much better looking, imo, than anything in the price range, except for the Mustang, I can't think of any other car that resonates as well with its powerful stance and purposeful lines. The interior was cramped and the quality of the materials wasn't perfect. The car was super tight, the engine was phenomonal, and if I were in the position to buy, I wouldn't think twice. That design had me. Just a really cool looking car, and people appreciate that.

in that picture the car looks a bit rakish actually.  in person its as dull as they say....but get this...the middle aged milf moms at the daycare who've seen it LOVE the car.  weird...but milfs seem to dig this car.......

[post="49426"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Remember the Camry commerical where the middle-aged chicks are checking out the middle-aged guy in his Camry because it shouts STABILITY and RELIABILITY?

I'm surprised your wife didn't tear you apart when you pulled up with it the first day, man.

it was a rhetorical question. I know how I explain the tepid sales, a tepid car overall. No boom in the marketplace, no grab your attention design in the first place. The Asians don't have to design to grab attention because they've already captured the hearts and minds of the public through careful attention to details, perfectionism, consistently improving quality, and legendary reliability. They don't need to do anything any better, and if they would style and design like Americans and europeans can, well they would probably be indestructible.

The cardinal rule for the domestics has to be function follows form. A cool design will make a lot of things forgivable. A gotta have design is the most important key towards recapturing the hearts of greater America. Particularly in the most affluent markets, and in the luxury sector, people increasingly are looking for the most stylish, refined piece. The new CTS should do this well.

I test drove a Cobalt SS SC this weekend, boy what a cool looking car, much better looking, imo, than anything in the price range, except for the Mustang, I can't think of any other car that resonates as well with its powerful stance and purposeful lines. The interior was cramped and the quality of the materials wasn't perfect. The car was super tight, the engine was phenomonal, and if I were in the position to buy, I wouldn't think twice. That design had me. Just a really cool looking car, and people appreciate that.

[post="49435"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I like the Cobalt SS a LOT. i drove an Ion redline and had BUCKETS OF FUN doing so. The Cobalt is much nicer than the Ion.

If I were single without kid and living on a tight budget I'd likely have one in the driveway. Edited by regfootball

Remember the Camry commerical where the middle-aged chicks are checking out the middle-aged guy in his Camry because it shouts STABILITY and RELIABILITY?

I'm surprised your wife didn't tear you apart when you pulled up with it the first day, man.

[post="49438"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

all she said was 'oh, that's a nice car'. lol.