Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Vectra out, Insignia in!

douglask

Auto Express first revealed the Luton firm's plans for a hi-tech Vectra replacement back in Issue 880, but now company sources have confirmed to us that when it unveils the new model in 2008, it will be called the Insignia. Speaking exclusively to Auto Express, Carl-Peter Forster, the European president of Vauxhall's parent firm General Motors, stressed: "We will change its name for the new car.

"Vectra is too connected to the conservative current design. The new model will be sleek and more like a coupé to look at, but of course it will still be a family car." Vauxhall first used the Insignia name on a concept car seen three years ago.

The sporty looking four-door family saloon was designed by Martin Smith. He has since moved to Ford and penned the highly acclaimed new Mon­deo. GM is now keen to follow suit by making its cars more adventurous to look at. Forster added: "Design is vital. It's going to be the number one reason to buy our cars."

A pre-production version of the Insignia is expected to make its public debut at the 2008 Geneva Motor Show. The production-ready model will be on display at the Paris expo later that year, and is due to go on sale in the UK early in 2009.

Full article:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpr...l_insignia.html

Good riddance, the Vectra is and always has been a cheap-looking, undersized, boring and bland car inspired by mediocrity. Never seen one of course as I've never been to Europe or outside America Senior or Junior, but based on the pictures, its almost as boring as the current Malibu. Good to see Insignia moves forward-I hope the voluptuous exterior styling does as well.

Good riddance, the Vectra is and always has been a cheap-looking, undersized, boring and bland car inspired by mediocrity. Never seen one of course as I've never been to Europe or outside America Senior or Junior, but based on the pictures, its almost as boring as the current Malibu. Good to see Insignia moves forward-I  hope the voluptuous exterior styling does as well.

230797[/snapback]

LOL

Oh please. The Vectra was the best Epsilon other than the 9-3. The G6 looks better, but its powertrain left much to be desired. I mean, would anyone take a current Malibu over the current Vectra? They'd have to have no taste.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ye-e-e-e-e-e-ah... The Vectra is actually a very nice vehicle, which, in some cases, is leaps and bounds ahead of any other Epsilon.

Having seen them in person in both Opel and Holden versions, and been in them, I can safely say that they certainly are not terrible vehicles.

Apparently Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear doesn't like them at all... But he's British so I could care less about what he says. :P

I like the look of the 5dr hatch...I had a rental one a couple of years ago from Avis in Italy..diesel, drove quite nicely. Clean, crisp styling, and the 5dr hatch is practical.

I've seen a few here in the US (in San Diego and Phoenix)--Chevy Vectras from Mexico..

Edited by moltar

That's fine. As said, I just like how people are testifying to how its these specific things based on third-hand accounts of the actual car.

What specific things? It doesn't take a long-term test-drive to know how mediocre and dated it is.

Mmmmmm... :scratchchin:

Posted Image

The 5-door hatch and wagon are passable, but the sedan is as boxy and bland as one can get these days-but no Vectra stands a chance in the styling department when compared to Renault Laguna, the new Ford Mondeo, etc. That base model pictured above looks downright cheap, and I've seen interior shots of the similar Signum in Auto Express a few years back-it reminded me of a 1980 Chevy Citation or such with its cheapie cloth and vinyl interior which has no business in any 2000's vehicle that's not a cheap subcompact or a work truck-trim pickup or cargo van. Yes, even worse than the base model minivans (no, that's not leather-its vinyl-even the Buick). Still, I can't wait to see the production Insignia-all the non-Aura Epsilon cars to date have been C-grade, fair-to-middling at the very best.

What specific things? It doesn't take a long-term test-drive to know how mediocre and dated it is.

Mmmmmm... :scratchchin:

Posted Image

Hmm, interesting since you have posted the most initial version of the Vectra. It's already been facelifted, modified, and improved to bring its image more in line with the rest of the new Opel/Vauxhall lineup, like the new Astra and Zafira for instance.

Posted Image

Neuer Vectra

Posted Image

"Older" Vectra

And, of course to demonstrate the newer design language of Opel/Vauxhall:

Posted Image

Opel Astra 5-Door