Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Camaro too late?

-Camaro-

$4.00 /gall will NOT prevent me from buying a Camaro. I'm not alone in this either!

$4.00 /gall will NOT prevent me from buying a Camaro. I'm not alone in this either!

They said they'd have to sell over 100k to make a profit or make a market case for it, they thought they could do that, but if gas does go up that high not many people except enthusiasts will buy them and not even all enthusiasts, because not all of them are rich.

Gas was to be $4 now but that did not happen. $215 as we type.

One can't worry too much about it till it happens and that is another reason the V6 program will be more important than any V8 they install.

Chevy needs to find a way to sell the V6 Camaro in like number as Ford does V6 Mustangs. If they had done that on the 4 Gen it may have never gone away due to poor sales inthe first place.

One can't worry too much about it till it happens and that is another reason the V6 program will be more important than any V8 they install.

Chevy needs to find a way to sell the V6 Camaro in like number as Ford does V6 Mustangs. If they had done that on the 4 Gen it may have never gone away due to poor sales inthe first place.

You're lucky... The west coast (California, Oregon, Washington) are paying over 2.50 and lots of places are in the 2.70s. Notice how they jumped back up after the elections. :lol:

You're lucky... The west coast (California, Oregon, Washington) are paying over 2.50 and lots of places are in the 2.70s. Notice how they jumped back up after the elections. :lol: If they can get the V6 to around 35 MPG it would be good, but they won't since the Aveo can barely do better then that.

You're lucky... The west coast (California, Oregon, Washington) are paying over 2.50 and lots of places are in the 2.70s. Notice how they jumped back up after the elections. :lol: If they can get the V6 to around 35 MPG it would be good, but they won't since the Aveo can barely do better then that.

It's 2.15 for 85 here in Denver...I figure it will be back to 2.75 or more by summer..

We have not seen much in a jump till the Holiday.

I think we need to be realistic about this as this is not a Aveo, Yaris or just little car that can and would be totaled if hit by a motorcycle.

If the get a V6 in the 20's and near 30 Highway that is a reasonable goal for a performance car.

I like many others will not be driving a 30+ MPG car even if it hits 6 bucks as I will not be in any mirco car I value my familys life more than that.

Many will buy this car if it get respectable mileage for what it is. $3 plus gas did not hinder the sale of Mustangs much as they sold very well.

Those who are so milage hooked would never consider a Camaro in the first place. This is much to do about nothig as the Camaro is not going get SUV numbers even with a V8. I still see a lot of new Tahoe's and just rode in my buddys new 07 Avalanche yesterday.

I work in the performance field and performance cars are like a drug to many. They buy when gas is up, they buy when the economy tanks, they buy when buildings fall in NY, they buy when we are at war, The bottom line is these cars should sell well and what Ford and Chrysler are doing with their cars vs GM will have more to do with Camaro sales than gas prices.

If mileage is that much concern GM will have a Cobalt Turbo that can catch any lost sales due to mileage.

Edited by hyperv6

In a car like the Camaro, especially when it first hits, the customers don't really care about gas prices. The big anticipation build-up and extended waiting period, that's the bigger story. That's where your "Camaro too late?" question carries more weight. Happens all the time, people see a car and fall in love with it, but by the time it's available the flame has diminished to a flicker. Gotta strike when the iron's hot for a passionate car following like this one, and I think the delay will hurt some conquest sales.

Gas prices aren't going to stop the Camaro from selling in the first couple of years. Eventually gas and insurance prices will probably keep the average non-diehard away because they'll be able to geta ny number of RWD Zeta models with likely more fuel efficient engine/tranny combos and cheaper insurance bills. Depending on practicality and cost of ownership, you may also see a small flood of slightly used Camaros hitting lots for a few bucks less than a new one within the first year. Overall success of the Camaro will depend on sales, although fewer sales if they go the Ford route and convince people to pay a premium for specialty versions, i.e. Shelby GT500 and the Shelby GT-H (which I'm sure Hertz pays a pretty penny to buy since they can whore it out for a few months then get $30k at auction for it.)

The Camaro may sell okay south of the border, but the old one only sold, what, 2k units up here anyway. I doubt our dealership will even stock any. We just auctioned off 3 2004 (brand new) Monte Carlos because we couldn't give them away. We took a $15k hit on each one to dump them. I hope GM has better plans for that plant, because maybe in the first year they will sell a few Camaros, but that will be it.

Just look to the SSR. Three years too late and way too much money.

I don't think it'll be too late. I am, however worried about the different dealers in the area slapping on HUGE premiums on the cars so that Joe Blow off the street, who wants a Camaro doesn't have to take out a second mortgage on his house to pay for it, you know? I know the car is going to be a hit, I show pictures of it at my job and there's always someone asking about the progress of the car. Its like watching kids in a candy store, their eyes glaze over and their mouths drop while looking at it. Kinda funny, but still, I think that the car will do well as long as its marketed at the right time.

Insurance prices will have more of an effect on the sales of the car than mileage will.

Very true.

If gas is $4.00 a gallon it WILL really HURT my wallet but since it's about the

only new car I care to own and modern cars are more efficient than most of

the alternatives i'd rather drive I might as wel enjoy my miles in a Camaro

and take pleasure in burning off $4.00/gallon gas.

Even a piece of $h! econobox FWD four banger costs $18,000 if you get a

few luxury items and you still feel like you're a looser driving one if you're

used to rolling in V8 powered land yachts & muscle cars. You only live once

and I'd rather eat macaroni & cheese but enjoy my cars.