Could BMW Become a Thing of Yesterday?

NOS2006

This could be in "Other Guys," but I think that forum's better for discussion on news, not on opinions.

Looking at the things Cadillac is coming out with, with exaggeration on the NG CTS, is it a stretch to say that BMW could easily start losing ground to its competitors? Okay, so the CTS is just one model, but figure in the coupe and wagon that will come out after the sedan and you're going to get a great vehicle. We all know the sedan will be sexy just judging by what we've seen of it, inside and out. It's got everything that Cadillac's Art and Science theme had and more. A very crisp design, the NG CTS could very easily steal many consumers from BMW's band of buyers.

Now, I'm not saying that just the CTS is going to single handedly send BMW to bankruptcy; that's not my intention at all. Look at the things Jaguar is starting to get into. With the new C-XF concept that IMO resembles its cousin, the DB9, Ford is showing they may finally understand what Jaguar is all about. Is it too late? I highly doubt that. Jaguar is still a highly reputable name in the industry. Let's hope this concept is a sign of what's to come and that Jaguar can improve upon its newest production model, the XK. If they were to produce the C-XF, I feel Jaguar could gain back some ground, especially if they put an effort into fixing the X-type and XJ.

And, back to Cadillac. Looking at the NG CTS, I feel this is a look at what's to come. The STS is a very nice vehicle, and the Escalade just got redesigned. Cadillac is still a huge player in the game and, if the CTS is any indication of the start of A&S v2, the next few years will prove Cadillac to be a much better brand than many have thought over the last fifteen or so years.

So, what do you think? Can Jaguar and Cadillac help push buyers from BMW and make them come stateside (considering that Jaguar is technically owned by Ford)? Again, this isn't to say that BMW's going to become the new GM of the '80s and '90s, but there is definitely room for them to lose ground on. They've got fine vehicles, but I feel that the Americans are getting a grip on how to make a finer vehicle.

Discuss. :)

Edited by NOS2006

I am thinking that the number fo BMW owner that will purchase Cadillac is probably about as many Kia owners that purchase a Ferrari. I just don't see it happening in huge numbers yet. I think once the next generation STS/DTS and coupe/wagon CTS comes out Cadillac will have a better chance competing with BMW, offering a similar lineup. BMW owner are just going to be hard to convince to buy a cadillac. Although Cadillac has made vast improvements in the image department, some people seem to be stuck on what Cadillac used to be. I think it can be done, but it will just take a while.

Edited by REDO1GPGT

I am hoping that, regardless of Cadillac's new stature, Pontiac becomes more of a "poor man's" BMW, a promise that GM needs to keep, imo, with an array of sweet, affordable RWD cars to wear the arrowhead. Edited by ocnblu

I am hoping that, regardless of Cadillac's new stature, Pontiac becomes more of a "poor man's" BMW, a promise that GM needs to keep, imo, with an array of sweet, affordable RWD cars to wear the arrowhead.

Well I guess we'll get a glimpse of that within the next week or two with Pontiac's sedan debut at NAIAS...

Despite some failures by their lead designer, the company is still very innovative and they are constantly improving their products. I dont think BMW is a has been, but I do think that they need to stay on their game to stay on top. I also think they need to dump I-drive. That is the stupidest system for vehicle controls that I have ever witnessed.

BMW charges too much now. And their performance is not that much better anymore.

Yet, maybe they want to sell less and charge more. Stay exclusive.

I like the 3 series and I guess I could enjoy one. I used to lust for one, but now whenever I see someone crammed into one with no room in the back and no trunk, I figure, 45 grand for an unusable car. No matter how good it drives.

At least the CTS is human sized.

BMW charges too much now. And their performance is not that much better anymore.

I like the 3 series and I guess I could enjoy one. I used to lust for one, but now whenever I see someone crammed into one with no room in the back and no trunk, I figure, 45 grand for an unusable car. No matter how good it drives.

:yes:

Sure, BMWs styling is controversial, and there idrive system pisses people off, and the competitors are getting better...BUT

BMWs have always been known and respected for being the ultimate driving machines. Even though they aren't beautiful cars, and even though they can be frustrating, once you get past that and drive it, you're blown away by how good they drive, and it makes everything else worth the trouble. One also has to respect BMW for not platform sharing, and not being afraid to be controversial.

Not only that, there's the image that comes with owning a BMW that few other badges can garner. People buy theses cars not just for the way they drive, but the name attached to them. In Europe the 3-series outsells the Ford Mondeo!

The CTS I have no doubt will be a great car, and the best Cadillac yet, but it's too big to be a 3-series competitor in Europe, so it won't get bread-and-butter sales like teh 3-series does. Plus Cadillac does't have nearly as much respect over there. Stateside I think it will do very well, but it certainly won't be putting that much hurt on BMW...it is just one model after all.

So to sum it up: No