What's your computer's specs?

2006 was a year where I got all new gear, bought myself all new gear to clarify.

New 2006 malibu SS - still owe 10k on it but thats not bad starting with a 25 k car.

new gold clubs - callaways

NEw laptop

Thinkapd Z61t

core DUO 2.0 ghz

1024 mb drr2 ram

80gb HDD

8xDVD burner combo drive

14 inch widescreen ratio.

Just wish it had a better GPU but it has great battery life, is compact, powerful and looks slick with the titanium top.

New desktop. Built it myself in last week of december wen I decided I wanted a game PC again, have only had the time to play for 3 hours since then.

Pentium D cpu @ 3.4 ghz

4096 mb of corsair XMS2 DDR2 pc 6400

320 gb western digital HDD

256 mb GDDR3 geforce 7950 GT

2x (lite on 20x dvd burners)

I have it hooked up to CSW 300 watt 2.1 speakers

and a 19 inch LCD.

So many toys in 2006! I will deffinetly pay off the malibu in a few months, and I already have substantial savings for a new car. Either I will get a toy, like a saturn sky redline, within the year, or I will consider trading the 'BU on a new CTS. Then I am going to try and be fiscally resposiable in 2008. Gotta stop renting and start buying property instead of cars and stuff or at least saving twards it.

My only problem is with an electrical humming noise. Have you ever hd this problem?Other than the noise my Pioneer reciever handles it just fine.

I did, but that was through my receivers 'AUX' input. I changed my input to 'tape' and it canceled out the humming. It would seem strange that Pioneer would let that sound go out, because that's a good quality piece of equipment.

Maybe see if that sound comes up when it's hooked to another source, like a CD player. It could be your computer that's sending it it out.

I run Ad aware and spybot on my computer once a month or so, as well as trendmicro virus scan once every other month or so. I never find anything. I guess I am just a smart surfer :AH-HA_wink:

Oh yeh. my other computer. I gave it to my friend to use, since I don't need it anymore, it's old.

Athlon XP 3000+ Barton (166x13)

Asus A7N8X

eVGA 5700 Ultra

2x512mb RAM

some crappy free HDD (corrupted at work, so I took it home and bought a new one for work, it's still working and hopefully will last for a while *crosses fingers*)

Extremely cheap and highly modified case :thumbsup:

I wouldn't trust used hard drives. Try using the manufacturer's diagnostic tool, that should give you a good picture of the health of the drive.

My computer is now one with my stereo.

You'll want a good song in order to tweak the bass and treble.

I suggest a good version of 'Thriller' or Van Halen's 'Everybody Wants Some' preferably in 320kb form.

Oh, and find the THX sound test, and crank up the volume! :D

Considering your music is downloaded, I will say this... much of it will likely be 128kb - 196kb, right? If it is, a large system that cranks out good sound, especially bass will likely expose some of the poorer quality mp3's. Just keep that in mind. You may want to spend some time looking for better quality copies of your music.

I don't know if your computer is armed with SRS WOW or any sound processing, but if it is... maybe turn it off, or not turn it on. It can make the music sound worse as well.

I just got a new computer January 2nd. It was custom made at a local PC shop, and it was the guys first order of the year. :lol:

New PC Specs:

Pentium D 2.80 GHz Dual Core 800 MHz

1 Gig of ram

250 Gig hard drive (7200rpm)

ASUS motherboard

LG Multi System writer (burns and reads every format)

ATX Deluxe case (not that deluxe though)

total cost for all parts: around $700-750 CAD

total paid (assembled and including Windows XP): $650 CAD! :ohyeah:

..and carry over stuff:

HP A4331D 20" monitor (circa 2000)

some no-name keyboard, but I like it cause its the compact "soft key" style (circa 2004)

Phillips 6 Watt pc speakers

3d mouse

So far, works great, and is very quick (compared to my old one).

You'll want a good song in order to tweak the bass and treble.

I suggest a good version of 'Thriller' or Van Halen's 'Everybody Wants Some' preferably in 320kb form.

Oh, and find the THX sound test, and crank up the volume! :D

Considering your music is downloaded, I will say this... much of it will likely be 128kb - 196kb, right? If it is, a large system that cranks out good sound, especially bass will likely expose some of the poorer quality mp3's. Just keep that in mind. You may want to spend some time looking for better quality copies of your music.

I don't know if your computer is armed with SRS WOW or any sound processing, but if it is... maybe turn it off, or not turn it on. It can make the music sound worse as well.

Yeah, I tweaked with all the settings to get the right sound.

I wouldn't trust used hard drives. Try using the manufacturer's diagnostic tool, that should give you a good picture of the health of the drive.

it's only a 40gb, and we don't really care. it only has games on it, and he surfs the net with it. I honestly didn't expect it to even last as long as it has, lol, specially for a Maxtor (I've replaced 6 at work already, and they were all less than a year old, the others have all lasted, so there must have been a bad batch in there from Dell).

I am running on vista RC1 I downloaded it along time ago but i installed it today. Its ok nothing special. But does this mean i will get the full version for free once it comes out?

it's only a 40gb, and we don't really care. it only has games on it, and he surfs the net with it. I honestly didn't expect it to even last as long as it has, lol, specially for a Maxtor (I've replaced 6 at work already, and they were all less than a year old, the others have all lasted, so there must have been a bad batch in there from Dell).

Maxtors really depend on which ones you get and if you're lucky. I have several D740X 80GBs which still run up till today, that's like 5+ years old already. The DM9 in my machine, also 80GB is still well and alive. The MaxLine ones are virtually indestructible, too. At my old company we had a RAID NAS which has like 10 of these drives running 24/7, and it didn't fail. One thing though is that Maxtor runs extremely hot, especially the slimline ones. I pulled one out from a machine once, and it literally burned my hand.

But hard drive these days... they're all the same. I still remember that old 40MB Seagate in my 386, which is stored now somewhere, but I'm pretty sure if I dig it back out now it still works.

well THe blue screen of death is back I crashed Vista 3 times already :angry:

I've heard from an insider that Vista has a lot of bugs that will not be fixed in time for the release, so they'll have to fixed via windows update. A sneaky way to hide their problems...musta taken notes from Toyota. :P

I've heard from a lot of people that Vista is a piece of crap. I'll stick with XP for now...stable as hell.it's never crashed on either of my two computers.

And no, you'll have to pay for the retail version of Vista when it comes out.

xp crashes all the time for me but all my programs are hacked.

2.6 P4 over clocked to 3.4 temp around 40ºC

1028 ram

460 gigs HD

256 Fx 6200 pci "OC"

its not bad

I just got done building a sweet computer with that Intel Extreme processor. that thing was bad ass!! buddy has a small shop that builds custom pc's i assemble some.

Edited by capriceman

I switched to AMD after I got sick of my 1.6 Gig P4 being to slow in the Compaq Presario 5000 we had. My first build had an AMD Athlon XP 2700+. I've never gone back. My Athlon XP Dual Core is insanely fast...it never works at 100% unless I'm rendering in Maya...it just sleeeps whiel I play games like halo and FFXI. I find Intels to be overpriced, while AMDs are cheaper, better overall, and the best for gaming.

Like I said, XP never crashes on me, it's super stable on my comps.