Mother F***er

So it was Monday afternoon and we had gone out to do some errands. When we got home I smelt something funny in the room. Then I noticed that my computer was off. I thought it was strange because it was on when we left (it usually is on). I figured maybe a cat shut it off. I pressed the power button...nothing. I see that everything else has power so the power strip is ok. I pull the computer out and have a look, When I flick the Power Supply switch off then on again I hear a faint humming sound. Then I realize what the smell was...my damn PSU fried itself! I couldn't believe it...and teh day before class starts back up too! Needless to say, I was not in a good mood for the remainder of the day... :censored:

Thankfully, I can RMA the PSU out to Newegg and they'll replace it for me. I sent it out yesterday...hopefully I'll get it back by next week. But I'm worried about the rest of my comp...I'm hoping nothing else was fried when the PSU went. I looked up more recent reviews on newegg and discovered that this isn't an isolated incident...several people have had this thing fail on them withing 2 months...about how long I've had it. This pisses me off because 2 months ago it had a higher rating and better reviews...I had tried hard to get the best equipment for my PC...and it turns out that this isn't one of them...sadly, with school started, I need to buy books and stuff, so I won't have the money right away for a different PSU. I guess I'll have to use the replacement for a little while. Then I plan to buy a different one and sell this (Assuming it hasn't died by then) on ebay.

In the meantime, I'm sharing my old computer with my girlfriend (I gave it to her). AT least it runs fine. Here's to hoping I get the replacement soon and nothing in my comp was fried <_<

Sorry, I just felt the need to vent.

Computer troubles suck. :(

Yeah, sorry to hear about this, that REALLY sucks!

just a PSU. could be a lot worse. I've had those go out on me before. Right now I have a monitor in the house that is on it's last leg and one video card that's about to go. Also, the wife wants a laptop. On a side note, I've had a fan on my heatsink go out and ran my computer for a week with crashing issues until I finally decided what was wrong. The cpu was running at 100 degrees Celcius (that's right) and the chip is still working. (well, it's in storage now). It was a AMD T-bird 1.2 ghz.

Considering the amount of money that has gone into your hardware, you can probably get Silverstone to replace some if any of it turns out to be damaged.

Also, unless they give you a newer model that has this problem corrected, I would definitely suggest a different PSU. What's your power requirement? You can get a sufficient PSU for under $100, as long as you don't need insane wattage.

And if you do need insane wattage, I suggest you hire an electrician to install a new circuit dedicated to your power-hungry PC.

On a related note, as soon as I can afford a new

Mac I just might to this to one of my PCs:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Considering the amount of money that has gone into your hardware, you can probably get Silverstone to replace some if any of it turns out to be damaged.

Also, unless they give you a newer model that has this problem corrected, I would definitely suggest a different PSU. What's your power requirement? You can get a sufficient PSU for under $100, as long as you don't need insane wattage.

And if you do need insane wattage, I suggest you hire an electrician to install a new circuit dedicated to your power-hungry PC.

I decided to have newegg replace it for me, since their RMA system is much better than Silverstone's. Plus I know they'll be fast. My system uses a pretty good amount of power, hence the need for a 600W PSU. Electrical shouldn't be an issue, and the fact that this PSU has been known to fail recently seems to back up my idea that there's a flaw in the PSU. I'll use the new one for now, but I'll by another PSU once I've got my school expenses out of the way.

On a related note, as soon as I can afford a new

Mac I just might to this to one of my PCs:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dude...MACs are horrible machines. They crash their programs without warning...regularly. They're a pain in the ass to navigate and do simple commands that PC's do with easy. Also, they aren't as good for gaming (unless the have windows on them...then I dunno). PC's are great...yeah I have an issue with my PSU...but the rest the thing is super fast, powerful, and stable. It outperforms the G5's at the university by a lot...there's no comparison. Plus, they're easier to upgrade.

Edited by Dodgefan

w00t! I got my PSU back today...she's as good as new ^_^

The only thing is...newegg originally had it as "replace" but then it changed to "repair" The box had a small tear in it, which I remember doing (I think), but it was newly packaged and the manual was new...so I dunno. Either way I have my comp back, thank gods.

Edited by Dodgefan

I know how you feel My video card just went bad so i bought a BFG 6200 OC 256 since it was a regular PCI and on sale for 99 at bestbuy. I hook it up and stuff and I cant play video format files it like kills it bogs it down. So for know im using my "custom" fx 5200 128 thats pretty old by now.

Mid summer i going to start hunting for sales and start up my PC of god. But I saw a decent deal a Pentiumd D dual core 3.0ghz 2x2mb cache for 119 if i had a 775 mother board i would have bought it.

I know how you feel My video card just went bad so i bought a BFG 6200 OC 256 since it was a regular PCI and on sale for 99 at bestbuy. I hook it up and stuff and I cant play video format files it like kills it bogs it down. So for know im using my "custom" fx 5200 128 thats pretty old by now.

Mid summer i going to start hunting for sales and start up my PC of god. But I saw a decent deal a Pentiumd D dual core 3.0ghz 2x2mb cache for 119 if i had a 775 mother board i would have bought it.

By summer the Quad Core AMDs should be out...I can't even image the power those things will have.

newegg rocks. nuff said

Once you know, you Newegg :AH-HA_wink:

I used to be computer literate.... not anymore though. I don't care enough.

When I hear people talking computers it's like what my cats hear at our

1930s car discussions durring Tight Whips meetings. :P