Holden has high hopes for Epica

Holden gets its hands on a fair-dinkum Camry fighter with the Korean Epica

By TERRY MARTIN 31 January 2007

Link to Full Article @ GOAuto.com

Posted Image

GM-HOLDEN will unveil its new medium-sized car – the South Korean-built Epica – at the Brisbane International Motor Show on Friday, ahead of its showroom release in April.

Pricing will be announced at the show, however Holden sources this week confirmed that the sedan would range from $25,000 to $31,000, making it a strong contender against the formidable Toyota Camry and other medium-car rivals – not least because it will offer six-cylinder-only power and a highly competitive level of standard equipment.

The latter will include four airbags, traction control, ABS brakes, air-conditioning, an MP3-compatible six-speaker CD stereo, front and rear power-operated windows and 16-inch alloy wheels (with a 15-inch steel spare).

As GoAuto revealed as far back as December 2005, the Epica is an Australian-tuned version of the new-generation GM Daewoo Magnus/Leganza (codenamed V250), which subsequently made its world premiere as the Chevrolet Epica at the Salon International de l'Auto in Geneva last March.

Holden confirmed this week that the front-wheel drive car would be sold with both the 105kW/195Nm 2.0-litre and 115kW/237Nm 2.5-litre versions of the transverse-mounted inline six-cylinder engine.

Paired solely with a five-speed manual transmission, the 2.0-litre engine achieves fuel consumption of 8.2L/100km according to the ADR 81/01 benchmark, while the 2.5-litre version – which combines exclusively with a five-speed automatic – returns 9.3L/100km. Both versions also meet the Euro IV emissions standard.

Model designations on the Epica will emulate those used on the European-built Vectra it replaces. The standard equipment listed above will be offered on CDX model variants across both engines, while a top-spec CDXi grade will also be available with the 2.5.

Additional features on the CDXi will include side curtain airbags, climate-control air-conditioning, a trip computer, eight-speaker six-CD audio, leather-clad steering wheel/transmission lever, front foglights, a sports bodykit and 17-inch alloys. Leather trim (with two colour options) will also be optional.

With no CD model variant, Holden has left open the possibility of a cheaper variant down the track. This could include a model with either a four-cylinder petrol or turbo-diesel engine, both of which are available in overseas markets but still to be confirmed for Australia.

GM Holden chairman and managing director Denny Mooney told GoAuto last week that he expected Epica would produce some cannibalisation of sales from its all-important Australian-built VE Commodore, although he insisted that buyers would understand fundamental differences such as front-wheel drive versus RWD.

Holden claims the Epica, which is built at General Motors’ Bupyong plant in South Korea, was "extensively tuned" by its own engineers in Australia. It will be the fourth vehicle Holden now sources from GM Daewoo, joining the Barina and Viva small cars and the Captiva SUV. A compact SUV is due to be confirmed later this year.

Holden is also set to announce pricing and specifications for its circa-$55,000 Hummer H3 SUV at the Brisbane show. Watch out for full details next week.

Gaining increasing importance on the Australian industry calendar, the Brisbane show will host a number of new Australian vehicle debuts.

Posted Image

The Straight-Six motor is cool, the fact that it's mounted sideways is lame...

So I take it this car is related somehow to that Suzuki "something-or-other"

that also has a trans-gender mounted inline six. Right?

From what I see this is the same size as the 08 Malibu and this will be sold in Europe as a Chevy. Why did GM waste their money on developing two cars instead of a global Malibu.

detroit egos most likely.

you know i like the interior dash layout of this car and i like the 08 malibu's. I like the exteriors of both. I don't like the epicas headlights.

km77.com chevy epica info and photos

Edited by regfootball

I'd take tthe Malibu over this any day. Nicer interior, exterior (and it doesn't remind me of the Sebring and an L Serie love child) Plus it's just a rebadged Daewoo...why does Chevy Europe sell mostly Daewoos anyway? I would think the new Malibu would be good enough for all markets?

Well, General Motors in the form of GM Europe already has the Vectra for the normal family car in the form of Vauxhalls and Opels.

And, since Holden sells the Astra anyway, I don't see why they wouldn't use the superior Euro-engineered product over the weaker, cheaper Korean. The Vectra would be more in keeping with Holden's overall lineup. I don't see why they have any of the GM Daewoo Auto and Technologies automobiles at all.

In Europe, GM's people's car brand is and has been Opel/Vauxhall. GM is using Chevrolet as the entry gate and is to compete at the bottom with Hyundai, Kia, and other entry brands (like Skoda, from Volkswagen AG).

They wouldn't use the GMNA Malibu because it would be prohibitively expensive and compete too directly with the Vectra compared to the weaker willed and Asian-engineered Epica.

What's also odd is that they use a combination of the GMDAT products (such as what we know as the Suzuki Forenza and Chevrolet Aveo) in addition to those from Opel AG along with those from themselves as well. Holden seems to be a real mutt of a brand as far as I am concerned, great rear-drive products or not.

But, generally, even though the new Malibu is a decent car, it was not developed for the global palette in any way, shape, or form. It just has a general aero-look commonly associated with European sedans.

Edited by MyerShift

I like it and I like the Malibu. Certain aspects of each, I like over the other. I like the Epica's interior more (the Malibu's center stack is typically horrible), and the exterior only slightly more (it's cleaner, tighter, and sportier than the Malibu's). I still appreciate the uniqueness of the Malibu, though (the Epica looks good, but is derivative). The mechanicals, however, the Malibu easily beats the Epica. The idea of an inline 6 is cool, but if the last one is any indication, it's severely underpowered.

I like it and I like the Malibu. Certain aspects of each, I like over the other. I like the Epica's interior more (the Malibu's center stack is typically horrible), and the exterior only slightly more (it's cleaner, tighter, and sportier than the Malibu's). I still appreciate the uniqueness of the Malibu, though (the Epica looks good, but is derivative). The mechanicals, however, the Malibu easily beats the Epica. The idea of an inline 6 is cool, but if the last one is any indication, it's severely underpowered.

The I6 in the new one is still the same one. So the 3.6L owns it.