HHR Swims Across the Pond

Flybrian

Chevrolet HHR Under Consideration for Europe
Link to Original Article @ Edmunds.com
Posted Image

ZURICH, Switzerland — General Motors' European operation has announced it will show the Chevrolet HHR (Heritage High Roof) next month at the Geneva auto show in a bid to gauge European interest in the retro-styled hatchback/wagon.

On sale in the United States since 2005, the HHR was initially ruled out for European sale due to the reorganization of the Chevrolet brand following GM's takeover of Korean carmaker Daewoo, which now supplies the majority of Chevrolet models in Europe.

However, high-ranking GM officials say there is now a very good likelihood of it being placed on sale in selected European markets. "We've already weighed the financial aspects of bringing the HHR to Europe. Now we want to see how the car-buying public reacts to the car," a source told Inside Line.

One drawback to the plan could be the HHR's lack of a diesel engine. Currently sold with a choice of two four-cylinder gasoline engines, a 146-horsepower 2.2-liter and a 174-hp 2.4-liter, its appeal would be limited in a market driven by sales of compact diesel-powered hatchbacks. Another obstacle is the lack of a right-hand-drive version for the U.K. market.

What this means to you: Iconic American looks and a badge to match could persuade Europeans to get interested in the HHR.

I think the ARTSY FARTSY French and other Europiens would like the HHR! And the British I am SHURE woud LOVE IT!! Just imagion an American Flag painted on the roof as a sign of YOUTHFULL REBELLION in the streets of London! THAT would be FUNNY!!

I think the ARTSY FARTSY French and other Europiens would like the HHR! And the British I am SHURE woud LOVE IT!! Just imagion an American Flag painted on the roof as a sign of YOUTHFULL REBELLION in the streets of London! THAT would be FUNNY!!

Its not that much of a joke

Ford sell quite a few Rangers here in London

The wide boys south of the river pimp 'em out and get the whole post-mad max urban warrior look happening

Its not that much of a joke

Ford sell quite a few Rangers here in London

The wide boys south of the river pimp 'em out and get the whole post-mad max urban warrior look happening

SAWEET!! I hope they do begin selling them there. Maby as a new London TAXI but NOT as a "post-mad max urban warrior"!! That would be to WEARD!! :unsure::D:P

Maybe HHR's could serve as taxi's-but there isn't much rear seat or cargo room in there, but anything's better than the Vivant/Rezzo/Tacuma they sell over in Europe, I'm sure. Sounds like a golden opportunity for Chevy to expand in Europe with a popular, relatively new car over here.

Our friends across the pond hate us (*), why do you think they would buy one of our cars (*), and especially without a diesel option?!

* What I understood from Top Gear, they hate America and American cars, I know Top Gear isn't all of Europe, but still...

Edited by Imaj