Toyota Cheats at Daytona

vrazzhledazzle

Mark Donohue called it "the unfair advantage." And those of us who have been around racing for longer than, oh… five minutes, know that racers will sell their soul to find that winning edge. Even if it means breaking the rules.

A buddy of mine, who’s been around racecars since the ink on Mario Andretti’s racing license was still wet, once managed to install a 2.5-liter engine in a car that raced in the 2.0-liter class, and then welded a fake extra exhaust on it so rivals would think that’s where the extra speed came from. Later, he got mechanics at an Italian sports car manufacturer to build an engine they thought was the 3.0-liter unit the rules required, but actually displaced 3.5-liters. It’s only cheating if you get caught.

Michael Waltrip got caught. Or, more accurately, his crew chief got caught. Waltrip’s team was one of five snared for rule infractions in a pre-Daytona crackdown by NASCAR officials. All five teams had their crew chiefs suspended, and all five drivers were docked points – an unprecedented move given the first points of this year’s Nextel Cup series won’t even be scored until Sunday afternoon.

The fact that the Waltrip team’s offense – reportedly doctoring the fuel with an oxygenate to increase power – was the most egregious of the lot is not the big news here. The big news is that Michael Waltrip drives a Toyota Camry. And being busted on a cheating rap is absolutely the worst possible start for Toyota’s audacious, multi-million dollar push into NASCAR.

Toyota’s NASCAR campaign is less about “Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday” than being able to bask in some carefully reflected Old Glory. Toyota wants to win hearts and minds across the American heartland in the hope that folks will buy its all-new Tundra pickup (and probably a second, still secret U.S. market vehicle that seems the only logical reason for what appears to be a massive overspend on the Tundra plant in San Antonio, Texas) along with more Camrys and Corollas.

Toyota’s entry into NASCAR has attracted a lot of attention from the mainstream media, which is exactly what its North American marketing team wanted. But now, thanks to the antics of privately owned team that carries its name, Toyota starts NASCAR labeled a cheater. And that won’t play in Peoria.

http://blogs.motortrend.com/6202473/car-ne...oria/index.html

Toyota just keeps giving the public more and more reasons to NOT buy it's products...

Too bad no one will listen and Toyota's PR firm (the media) will clean the mess up.

P.S. Oh, and I'm pretty sure everyone but the idiots at MT can figure out what the second "secret vehicle" is. HINT: They traded Ford for technology to build it (Yet, I'm sure you'll never hear that in an article, eventhough every time I read a Ford Hybrid article I get to hear about how generous Toyota is for 'allowing' Ford to bask in it's hybrid glow)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I don't get how its Toyota cheating. I highly doubt they've got people sitting in a room somewhere trying to figure out how to cheat to win at nacar. Its nothing but a 4 hour, 180mph advertising festival anyway, Toyota wouldn't be impacted by wins or losses. The drivers would and the pit chiefs would, so that probably the level on which the cheating is occurring.

And also, nacar sucks.

Toyota is trying to buy there way into America's heartland. Good luck. Toyota is trying to be Chevy, I just saw a new Tundra commerical. They are trying it with Nascar. Even at the autoshow Toyota had people in levi's and work shirts all around selling the new Texas made Tundra. If they are not trying to buy there way into American who is. Who is trying to be like who here? Chevy is just being Chevy. Toyota will do anything to be nu.1 and quality has taken a backseat while GM refines quality and products who the h*ll cares if GM is not nu.1 for a few years as long as the perception of Toyota's being great changes because guess what there not. H*ll the recalled more vehicles than GM did last year and GM still made more vehicles. That is really moving foward... Hahaha so much for excellent Toyota quality!

Toyota started cheating way back when they entered the NASCAR Truck Series, and they stole Dodge's engine design. Nothing new. :AH-HA_wink:

NASCAR doesn't allow the use of a new engine design. If someone else wants to join their design has to be essentially the same as an existing engine. If Honda or BMW wanted to join NASCAR, they too would have to design a carburetted, 16V pushrod V8 based on an existing engine competing in NASCAR. The "manufacturers" aren't much more than anchor sponsors.

NASCAR doesn't allow the use of a new engine design. If someone else wants to join their design has to be essentially the same as an existing engine. If Honda or BMW wanted to join NASCAR, they too would have to design a carburetted, 16V pushrod V8 based on an existing engine competing in NASCAR. The "manufacturers" aren't much more than anchor sponsors.

Feb. 10, 2006:

Daimler-Chrysler wins suit against Bill Davis: DaimlerChrysler won a $6.5 million judgment Thursday against Bill Davis Racing in a breach of contract dispute in U.S. District Court in Detroit. A 7-member jury deliberated 4 hours after a 17-day trial before awarding the judgment to the Auburn Hills carmaker, which alleged that the North Carolina-based race team violated a six-year contract in 2003 by passing confidential Dodge Motorsports technology, parts and information to Toyota. The automaker said Bill Davis Racing helped Toyota develop a prototype Tundra racing truck for NASCAR's Craftsman Truck series at the same time Davis was under contract to prepare DaimlerChrysler stock cars for the Winston Cup Series, now the Nextel Cup Series. After terminating its contract and suing Davis in federal court, DaimlerChrysler said it learned that Davis had signed a contract in February 2003 to provide a car to General Motors for the Winston Cup Series. DaimlerChrysler said both competitors used the information to develop engines for the Craftsman, Nextel Cup and Busch racing series. Bill Davis Racing denied the charges, countersued and sought $8.5 million to $9.8 million from DaimlerChrysler for breach of contract. The jury gave DaimlerChrysler what it asked for, $6.5 million. U.S. District Judge George Steeh gave Bill Davis Racing three weeks to file post-trial legal briefs, which could include a request to set aside the verdict. The company's lawyer declined to comment on the verdict. (Detroit Free Press)

Somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but...

How many Toyotas raced the other day? 4 of 8 possible How many have raced so far? 4 How many were banned due to findings of illegal substances, too low ride height, etc.? 0

How many cars from GM, Ford and Dodge have been caught? 1

Toyota is like that spoiled cousin everyone loves to hate.

Somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but...

Correct about how many raced... But the other figures are off. One Toyota was caught with an illegal substance (Waltrip's). Three Dodges and one Ford were also penalized (two for holes drilled in the spoiler, the other two improperly inducted air or whatever). One Chevy was penalized (too low ride height), but was deemed unintentional.

Correct about how many raced... But the other figures are off. One Toyota was caught with an illegal substance (Waltrip's). Three Dodges and one Ford were also penalized (two for holes drilled in the spoiler, the other two improperly inducted air or whatever). One Chevy was penalized (too low ride height), but was deemed unintentional.

Yeah... Waltrip and Gordon stuck, because they were all over the news. I totally forgot about the infractions they handed out earlier in the week.

so where are the threads about Ford & Dodge teams getting caught for cheating? Or GM teams?

where were the threads last year when JJ got caught? :rolleyes:

last I checked, TOYOTA didn't get caught cheating, one of the crew chiefs on one of their teams did. Its like blaming GM because a car failed cause the cars owner modified a part that caused the failure

so where are the threads about Ford & Dodge teams getting caught for cheating? Or GM teams?

where were the threads last year when JJ got caught? :rolleyes:

last I checked, TOYOTA didn't get caught cheating, one of the crew chiefs on one of their teams did. Its like blaming GM because a car failed cause the cars owner modified a part that caused the failure

i think there is a toyota decal on the car. they are sponsoring it.