SRX is raining glass

I'm a member on another board focused just on Caddy's, and a person there just had this problem recently--it now verified, by both him and the people from GM that nothing fell on it, but some kind of stress in the body and/or manufacturing defect in the sunroof glass itself caused it to "pop" while driving down the road--thankfully, though, all the glass fragments fell onto the shade that happened to be closed. He's filed with the NHTSA, so he's probably one of the registered "complaints", but there certainly are others. Another one on the same board was driving with the shade open and the same open road situation when it exploded, showering glass all over him, his wife, and the kids, and giving them each several cuts--another NHTSA filer. Furthermore, his dealer apparently told him that it was the second "shattering" case they've had in. You have to remember, no matter how much brainpower and technology went into designing the system, it's still the largest glass paneled roof available today, and there's bound to be some problems that crop up over real-world driving. Edited by caddycruiser

I'm a member on another board focused just on Caddy's, and a person there just had this problem recently--it now verified, by both him and the people from GM that nothing fell on it, but some kind of stress in the body and/or manufacturing defect in the sunroof glass itself caused it to "pop" while driving down the road--thankfully, though, all the glass fragments fell onto the shade that happened to be closed.

He's filed with the NHTSA, so he's probably one of the registered "complaints", but there certainly are others.

Another one on the same board was driving with the shade open and the same open road situation when it exploded, showering glass all over him, his wife, and the kids, and giving them each several cuts--another NHTSA filer.  Furthermore, his dealer apparently told him that it was the second "shattering" case they've had in.

You have to remember, no matter how much brainpower and technology went into designing the system, it's still the largest glass paneled roof available today, and there's bound to be some problems that crop up over real-world driving.

[post="20768"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Were these warm weather states? I am thinking that the glass heats up and expands. This puts pressure on the outer parts of the sunroof so that when the body flexes it puts to much stress on the glass and them it shatters.

Ok since I solved the problem GM has to give me a new SRX with the new glass peice and I will drive it around for a while and make sure that it works. :lol:

Actually, at least in these two circumstances, the first said it was an overcast day and no more than 70 deg. out, and the second didn't note temperature, just saying it was a normal day, traveling at 55mph down the road.

Luckily, the first had the shade shut and it was easier to clean up all the glass fragments, but since the other person had the shade open and the glass went all over both the interior and its occupants, it took the dealer 3 tries to successfully clean all the pieces out, finally having to completely disassemble the interior to do so, since every time they'd reach to do something like adjust the seat, they'd get a hand cut again. Now that apparently doesn't happen, but with vibration from driving, they still find new clumps of glass that has fallen out of random crevices or blown from the vents.

OH, and while the second was able to get Cadillac to cover the expensive repair, the first, so far, has just been forced to split the $4,800 replacement costs with his insurance company--while taking legal action against Cadillac and GM to be compensated. Edited by caddycruiser

Where's cmattson, now? I won't be saying anything along the lines of "it's just a sunroof deflector" because it's the whole damn sunroof.

Perhaps we should look at a few quotes regarding sunroofs on this thread.

[quote]Funny how this "airborne debris" seems to be targeting the wind deflector of the Scion tC specifically.[/quote] - RBB

[quote]So sad, Toyota appears to be manufacturing poor quality vehicles...[/quote] - Harley Earl

[quote]...it is obviously crap flying up and shattering thise deflectors, just like on the... oh yeah, I've never heard of that happening to another make.[/quote] - AAS

[quote]who has ever had a windsheild crush under impact? and secondly the windsheild is designed to stay together, not fall apart... if it falls apart that is even worse... ugg Toyota sucks...[/quote] - Newbiewar

[quote]As for the wind-deflector itself. Get past the idea of what the part does. Go right to the idea that a part of the car could shower you with glass. Not exactly a pleasant thought, is it?[/quote] - cmattson

[quote]Getting showered with glass is a safety issue and IMO, can't be brushed off with "it's just a bug deflector".[/quote] - cmattson

Hey sciguy, don't be a little bitch and call people out over YOUR wedgie. It sucks that this is happening to any vehicle, but at least this isn't very widespread. It would be interesting to know the year of the vehicles, too. New? First-years? I know GM has changed their installation process of the glass roofs since introduction. I'm surprised the tinting doesn't hold it together better also. Windshields have special coats on them to keep them from shattering, so I want more information as to this problem. It does sound pretty serious, though.

AFAIK, only windshields are laminated and all other glass is tempered. Tempered glass shatters into little cubes- it's not that easy to cut yourself on tempered glass... which is why it's federally mandated and has been for years. Without a doubt the SRX's panroramic panel is tempered. Windshields are not tempered for the simple reason that the manner in which it shatters renders it nearly opaque- an obvious safety hazard when at speed. Tempered is also relatively easy to break as opposed to laminated, which is quite tough.
At least they were... before modern windshields became as thin as a wooden matchstick.

Hey sciguy, don't be a little bitch and call people out over YOUR wedgie.  It sucks that this is happening to any vehicle, but at least this isn't very widespread.  It would be interesting to know the year of the vehicles, too.  New?  First-years?  I know GM has changed their installation process of the glass roofs since introduction.  I'm surprised the tinting doesn't hold it together better also.  Windshields have special coats on them to keep them from shattering, so I want more information as to this problem.  It does sound pretty serious, though.

[post="20872"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No wedgie here. I figured I would post something like I did before all the excuses and attempts to marginalize the problem came pouring out rather than after. After all you guys did jump on Toyota's back for a not-so-widespread glass shattering issue. http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/AH-HA_wink.gif

No wedgie here.  I figured I would post something like I did before all the excuses and attempts to marginalize the problem came pouring out rather than after.  After all you guys did jump on Toyota's back for a not-so-widespread glass shattering issue. http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/AH-HA_wink.gif

[post="21002"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

And for what it's worth, if GM takes the the same tact, just 'blaming airborn debris' then I'll ciriticize them just the same. You can see by the car in my sig that I'm not an import hater - I just didn't think Toyota handled that situation correctly.

-RBB

If anyone is willing to summarize, how is this different from the Scion tC issue?

[post="20715"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I knew that was coming. :P Fair is fair.

...I just didn't think Toyota handled that situation correctly.

-RBB

[post="21496"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Like how they are handling the bucking Tc issues. They blame it on the driver and say that it happens to all of them. I personally wouldn't want to hear that from any dealer, much less hearing it from Toyota(scion) techs like a mag that tested the car did.