NASCAR Names

With the introduction of the Car Of Tomorrow, Ford is staying with Fusion, Toyota is running Camry, Dodge switched to Avenger which is the smaller car that real-life competes with the others, why isn't Chevy going to Malibu instead of using Impala?

Impala is just not the same class as the others. I know it is "large mid size" but come on...

This would have worked if Dodge stayed with Charger, Ford moved to Taurus (which also doesn't work that well) and I don't know what Toyota would use, Avalon maybe?

I know they are trying to stimulate sales of the Impala, and in a couple of years it will be more appropriate with rear drive coming back, but the new Malibu would benefit with the sales boost just as well. .

nascar is so f-ed up right now, I doubt it matters which car they choose to run as it likely doesn't do anything for sales anyway. You think Toyota is going to sell more Camries because they race them?

They're all just jelly bean blobs with different stickers on them anyway. Wake me up when they race actual "stock cars"

It really doesn't matter what name they use..these are using the generic COT body, so they could just use 'Chevrolet', 'Ford', 'Dodge' and 'Toyota' decals instead of model names.

I don't see how using a particular model name on a generic NASCAR would 'stimulate sales', since there is no relationship between the race car and the production car.

They could call it whatever they want tocall it but Impala has a historical connection with Nascar.

Toyota isnt involved with NASCAR to sell another Camry.

Hint Hint: :AH-HA_wink: Read between the lines.

In a recent interview, Jim Farley, the group vice-president for marketing at Toyota Motor Sales, said to me, "Camry has been the best-selling car in America for seven years now, so we didn't have to race on Sunday for the car business."

btw, Is it true they threw $20 million$ at Dale Jarret for him to come aboard?

Edited by Mr.Krinkle

They could call it whatever they want tocall it but Impala has a historical connection with Nascar.

Toyota isnt involved with NASCAR to sell another Camry.

Hint Hint: :AH-HA_wink: Read between the lines.

In a recent interview, Jim Farley, the group vice-president for marketing at Toyota Motor Sales, said to me, "Camry has been the best-selling car in America for seven years now, so we didn't have to race on Sunday for the car business."

btw, Is it true they threw $20 million$ at Dale Jarret for him to come aboard?

If so that was a big waste of money. Have you seen how he has run so far this year? How about Michael Waltrip? What did they paid him to start up the Toyota team? It certainly wasn't enough to build fast cars, considering that Waltrip has only made into two races so far this season and until he ran the second race he was still negative points from being caught cheating at Daytona. If not for Jarrett's past champion's provisionals, he would have been sitting out the first 4 races of the year as well. He finally qualified for a race on time this week at Bristol. David Reutimann was supposed to the worst of the Waltrip Toyotas and besides this week, has made all the races.

As far as what cars a manufacturer runs in NASCAR, It really doesn't matter anymore with the COT. It used to be that all the cars had unique noses based off of the car that the manufacturer was running. So, a lot of the time manufacturers ran the car with the most aerodiamic nose. Now with the Car Of Tomorrow, it's only stickers, nothing different about the nose at all. It makes sense that Chevy moved to the Impala with it returning to RWD V8. I have no idea why Dodge moved to the Avenger. It made sense running the Charger on the COT. The Charger was actually at a disadvantage on the old cars because it didn't get as good of front end downforce that the other manufacturers were getting out of their noses. That is why there were still a lot of guys running the Intrepid nose even after they switched to the Charger (Dodge and NASCAR eventually put an end to that, even though the NASCAR rules technically allowed it. The Camry makes sense as it is Toyota's bread and butter, just as the Fusion is to Ford. In fact you can look at it that way for all the manufacturers I guess. As of now, they are all running their best selling mid sized sedans.

I dont know exactly how they sacked the truck series so fast but Toyota has a long way to go in Cup and it wont be anywhere near as easy.

Its too bad Toyota doesnt try to get into ALMS like the Honda is with their lmp. Honda, to me is out there for the right reasons and earning the approval through diligence and not some half assed schemes and scandal that follow toyota where ever they go. And for no other reason than to sell some extra cars in Europe-F1 and America-Nascar. Maybe Im jaded.

Waltrip obviously, F1(rumour?).

http://www.fastmachines.com/archives/f1/002604.php

the WRC,

http://www.rallye-info.com/seasoninfo.asp?series=1995

Edited by Mr.Krinkle

It really doesn't matter what name they use..these are using the generic COT body, so they could just use 'Chevrolet', 'Ford', 'Dodge' and 'Toyota' decals instead of model names.

I don't see how using a particular model name on a generic NASCAR would 'stimulate sales', since there is no relationship between the race car and the production car.

As far as what cars a manufacturer runs in NASCAR, It really doesn't matter anymore with the COT. It used to be that all the cars had unique noses based off of the car that the manufacturer was running. So, a lot of the time manufacturers ran the car with the most aerodiamic nose. Now with the Car Of Tomorrow, it's only stickers, nothing different about the nose at all.

Technically, the noses and greenhouses are still different. Barely, now, but still different.

I dont know exactly how they sacked the truck series so fast but Toyota has a long way to go in Cup and it wont be anywhere near as easy.

Its too bad Toyota doesnt try to get into ALMS like the Honda is with their lmp. Honda, to me is out there for the right reasons and earning the approval through diligence and not some half assed schemes and scandal that follow toyota where ever they go. And for no other reason than to sell some extra cars in Europe-F1 and America-Nascar. Maybe Im jaded.

I've viewed Honda's participation in motorsport the same way...Honda has always been about engines and technology.. that has always been important to them. I couldn't see Honda in NASCAR, because the idea of Honda building a pushrod V8 with a carb in 2007 is absurd...

I was very much under the impression that they are all identical. I'm pretty sure the greenhouses were even identical on the old car.

Depends on your definition of identical. The overall profile of each make are pretty much identical... aerodynamically. However, each have they're own hood and fascia indentations and they're own rear and side window shapes for the greenhouse to mimic the car in which they're based upon. The COT still retains those traits, just much less so than the existing stock cars. People like to assume theyre all identical blobs, but they never were and still aren't.

Depends on your definition of identical. The overall profile of each make are pretty much identical... aerodynamically. However, each have they're own hood and fascia indentations and they're own rear and side window shapes for the greenhouse to mimic the car in which they're based upon. The COT still retains those traits, just much less so than the existing stock cars. People like to assume theyre all identical blobs, but they never were and still aren't.

They still bare little if any resemblance to the cars they are named after and are even uglier than before. The "distinctions" are so minute you might as well just say they are identical with different decals. Honestly, I never saw what was so great about watching a bunch of look-alike cars go left for hours...the only thing worth watching for me was the crashes...which even those are better in other racing genres.

Nascar believes it isnt the cars that the fans are loyal to it's the drivers so who cares what they drive and consequently what it looks like.

Theyve been trying to do this for years. The cars have adjustable features like the wing but everything starts off exactly the same . Level the playing field and let the drivers sort it out. Same $h! the with restrictor plates,

Its not cheaper either thats BS. The current manufacturers that are involved are footing the bill for both cars until the kinks are worked out and its fully integrated. The car may be safer but nothing more radical that couldnt have been achieved in the current-old one

They debuted it at one of the favorite, and possibly best tracks that almost always promises and delivers a good race. Good choice if you ask me. It's the only one I will watch and if I dont see at least part of will be mildly upset.

Personally, I prefer most other motorsports but the tight pack racing with cars closer to eachother than most people park is unique.

It is a joke at this point. Ratings are somewhat stale but they say it is growing in popularity. I dont get it. Nascar is about money and nothing else and needs those big dollars to suckle at its marketing teet.

This basically sums up my disdain for NASCAR.

"One-size-fits-all is fairly accurate," Darby said the Car of Tomorrow would not be an "IROC Series" of identical cars and that once manufacturers placed their decal kits and brand marks on them, they would maintain their unique identities.

Id rather watch a c6-r screaming down the Mulsanne Straightaway of Cirque de Sarthe LeMans with the a db9 and its cross eyed shark mouthed gait patiently waiting right there behind it ready to pounce. But thats just me.

Edited by Mr.Krinkle

Theyre all the same $h!. What hood indentations? someone leaned their fat ass up against a car and theres your Avenger?

Theyve been gunning for this for years, long before the first restrictor plate.

Probably around the time Dodge slapped a 12 ft high wing on their race cars.

sorry about the nascar rant above and Dale Jarret is a sell out. Oh well. At least theres no more waltrip commercials hawking the tundra.

Theyre all the same $h!. What hood indentations? someone leaned their fat ass up against a car and theres your Avenger?

Theyve been gunning for this for years, long before the first restrictor plate.

Probably around the time Dodge slapped a 12 ft high wing on their race cars.

The differences are there. It's all in whether or not you choose to see them.

I know that the old cars had their own noses, hoods, and fenders to match it all up. The rears were damn near identical on the old cars, and I guess I never paid too much attention to the rear glass. I don't know a ton about the COT but I remember them talking about the car on FOX before one of the races and saying that the COT cars are all identical and that the manufactures were all on a level playing field (taking away dodge's disadvantage when it came to front end downforce.) Just browsing through pics, it seems the only thing now that they have different is the grille openings to match up with whatever manufacture's front end. Maybe you have read something that I haven't, but it seams as if they are damn near identical.

I know that the old cars had their own noses, hoods, and fenders to match it all up. The rears were damn near identical on the old cars, and I guess I never paid too much attention to the rear glass. I don't know a ton about the COT but I remember them talking about the car on FOX before one of the races and saying that the COT cars are all identical and that the manufactures were all on a level playing field (taking away dodge's disadvantage when it came to front end downforce.) Just browsing through pics, it seems the only thing now that they have different is the grille openings to match up with whatever manufacture's front end. Maybe you have read something that I haven't, but it seams as if they are damn near identical.

Again, aerodynamically, they are pretty much identical, as I said. Hence why it "levels the playing field". But the car for each manufacturer still has difference from each other. The nose, hood, and greenhouse are all different. Not by much, as I said, but still different. All you need to do is look at each manufacturer's cars. The Impala SS COT has nose, hood lines and greenhouse openings that mimic the Impala. The Camry COT has nose and hood lines that mimic the Camry (the greenhouse doesnt mimic the actual Camry, oddly, but it's still unique to the Camry). The Fusion COT has nose, hood lines and greenhouse openings that mimic the Fusion. The Avenger COT has nose, hood lines and greenhouse openings that mimic the Avenger. If pics of the raced COTs weren't so hard to find (test cars before the final COT design was chosen are all I seem to find on google... you can tell by how the Chevy COTs are Monte Carlos and not Impalas) I would go through and point out each and every little difference.

Wait a sec. Hold on.

Posted Image

OK 8) now I see it.

Posted Image

Heh... Again, I repeat. The differences are there. It's all in whether or not you choose to see them. Some people like to be ignorant to reality. You can be one of them if you want... Your choice. :P

The differences are there. It's all in whether or not you choose to see them.

The differences are meaningless, though, since the cars have no resembalance to the production car bodies, proportions, and detailing...

Obviously. I think that's been pretty clear since the late '80s. :P

However, I'm simply stating facts. People like to assume they're all identical. I'm pointing out that they're assumptions are wrong. Whether you hate Nascar or love Nascar, you can't deny that each manufacturer's COT is different. Again, I'm not saying the differences are major. They're completely minor and are only cosmetic, hence why, aerodynamically, they are very similar. The overall shape of each car is nearly identical. The only differences are ones that are to mimic the car that they are supposed to be (or like some of you guys would say; the car that they are sponsored by).

From that photo the only difference I can see is that the lower edges of the intake are rounded for the "Chevy" and the other is totally rectangular. Oh and the shape of the hood may be slightly different..or it's the lighting. Big deal..they still look like ugly POS.

Edited by Dodgefan

From that photo the only difference I can see is that the lower edges of the intake are rounded for the "Chevy" and the other is totally rectangular. Oh and the shape of the hood may be slightly different..or it's the lighting. Big deal..they still look like ugly POS.

That photo is old. Represented for Chevy is the MC and for Dodge is the Charger. Obviously they changed to the Impala and Avenger. Either way, there are more changes than what you mentioned... the hoods are different, albeit its sort of washed out by the lighting... and the greenhouses are different. But I do agree that they are quite ugly. The "blobs" looked better. :P

BV-The cars are the same. Thats the point of having them, it keeps the focus on the nascar brand racing. In the case of Dodge it at least gets the Avenger name out there. Additionally, it may attract more ad dollars because sponsors wont feel gyped because for all intents and purposes the cars are the same.

Nascar is about the drivers and the team set ups moreso than anything else.

Do you understand that if NASCAR decides to adopt a single powerplant for the race cars they can tell the manufacturers to go screw.

If you want to be fooled into thinking a few stickers make the cars different and "unique" thats your business.

But dont spit on my cupcake and tell me its frosting. Ya dig.

BV-The cars are the same. Thats the point of having them, it keeps the focus on the nascar brand racing. In the case of Dodge it at least gets the Avenger name out there. Additionally, it may attract more ad dollars because sponsors wont feel gyped because for all intents and purposes the cars are the same.

Nascar is about the drivers and the team set ups moreso than anything else.

Do you understand that if NASCAR decides to adopt a single powerplant for the race cars they can tell the manufacturers to go screw.

If you want to be fooled into thinking a few stickers make the cars different and "unique" thats your business.

But dont spit on my cupcake and tell me its frosting. Ya dig.

Hah... I'm only stating the obvious. Yes, Nascar is about the drivers. It's been that way since the 70's. With each new generation of car they get more and more alike. However, this isn't to say they're identical... yet. I think with the next generation of cars they are going to be 100% identical and cars will only be sponsored by manufacturers. Currently, though, there are differences. Just because you don't want to see them, doesn't mean they're not there. I'm not looking at stickers, obviously, since even the old picture you posted with the stickerless prototypes have differences. My business? Haha... I'm sorry, but I'm not the one ignoring the obvious. Say what you will, but saying any more on this subject is worthless. :P

And if you still can't fathom the idea of there being differences, I searched for some articles to prove my point (which really shouldn't need to be proved to anyone who's not blind). :P

NASCAR's templates for its next generation stock car – the Car of Tomorrow – allow each manufacturer to have a distinctive front end on its respective COT design.

Unlike the current car which features a common template that mandates each manufacturer share a common front-end design, the new COT noses specifically are designed to give each manufacturer its own identity.

In the past, even slight aerodynamic and power differences between manufacturers had been a source of headaches for NASCAR officials. It was a common occurrence that one manufacturer would petition NASCAR officials for "relief" when it believed another may have an aerodynamic advantage.

That relief often came in the form of a penalty against the manufacturer seen as having an advantage.

NASCAR officials were not willing to revisit the past and had a plan in place to avoid it.

Several weeks ago, all four manufacturers had representatives on hand as each new nose design was wind-tunnel tested.

"The aerodynamic numbers on each were very close," said Robin Pemberton, NASCAR's director of competition. "We're confident that there will not be any problems with any of them."

When contacted on this issue, each manufacturer's representative agreed with Pemberton, adding that heading into the new season with the new car, NASCAR had done a good job in making sure the new nose designs were as close to one another as possible.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slug=b...o&type=lgns

“We had some flexibility to give it some individuality around the upper part of the nose,” Leslie said. “The lower part of the nose is 100 percent common for all brands because it’s a performance area, but the middle part of the bumper line up is 100 percent brand identity. The hood is brand identity.

“We did a lot of testing on what was available as far as performance gains, and then we worked in styling cues to complement the type of performance gain that we felt we could get.

“You never stop learning and testing, but right now we feel like we’ve go the best balance that we could as far as the performance aspect and putting as much brand identity as what we could into it.”

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/release_dis...m?release=25702

Isn't that what I've been saying? Odd. :D Edited by blackviper8891

I've been thinking of a project. I want to rent a Camry, dress up like Ricky Bobby, drive to a Chevy dealer, park it within eyesight of their parts counter, go in with my Ricky Bobby accent and ask for some Chivvalay stickers for my race cor. I can have a hissy fit "They gave me this danged Ty ota and I wanted me a Chivvalay! I want some Chivvalay stickers for my race cor, dammit! Boogady Boogady! Shake N Bake, baby!"

The cars are just enough different so they say say they are.

The bottom line Nascar wants the fans to all come to the track each week with the idea their car or diver can win. It is the close compitition they seek.

Also they want each MFG to be happy that they do no have to dump F1 money into this and still have a change of leading and winning.

Push rods and Carbs without any digital controls are cheaper and easier to restrict and catch cheating than computer conrtroled cars. Also have you ever seen the start up on a Ferrari F1? It take several lap tops and crew just to fire the new car.

Toyota has only taken over the truck series since because the others have takne most of the money and put it into cup. Toyota is the only one putting money into it in any great sum.

If you like NASCAR fine if not why complain just don't watch.

The Impala name is the name they wanted to push and that is all their is to it. The car may still be a made up body but is now closer to stock than before with as more upright windshield etc.

If Nascar was like F1 where on or maybe 2 drivers have a chance each week and they never pass no one in this counrty would watch. If you have notice F1 has never really caught on and for many think road racing is a bore.

I love road racing but understand the appeal of NASCAR. Like it or not it is not going away and they will still provide the closest racing their is. MFG love the control on the cost vs other series,

Toyota as long as the other MFG are involved will never doninate because NASCAR changes the rules if one MFG does. There is no free ride here just ask Dodge. The Germans have not been hapy because they were not given changes when they asked and I see the same for Toyota. They may win races but they will not dominate like Michale in a Ferrari.

What Hyper said.

I've been thinking of a project. I want to rent a Camry, dress up like Ricky Bobby, drive to a Chevy dealer, park it within eyesight of their parts counter, go in with my Ricky Bobby accent and ask for some Chivvalay stickers for my race cor. I can have a hissy fit "They gave me this danged Ty ota and I wanted me a Chivvalay! I want some Chivvalay stickers for my race cor, dammit! Boogady Boogady! Shake N Bake, baby!"

:lol:

The cars are just enough different so they say say they are.

The bottom line Nascar wants the fans to all come to the track each week with the idea their car or diver can win. It is the close compitition they seek.

Also they want each MFG to be happy that they do no have to dump F1 money into this and still have a change of leading and winning.

Push rods and Carbs without any digital controls are cheaper and easier to restrict and catch cheating than computer conrtroled cars. Also have you ever seen the start up on a Ferrari F1? It take several lap tops and crew just to fire the new car.

Toyota has only taken over the truck series since because the others have takne most of the money and put it into cup. Toyota is the only one putting money into it in any great sum.

If you like NASCAR fine if not why complain just don't watch.

The Impala name is the name they wanted to push and that is all their is to it. The car may still be a made up body but is now closer to stock than before with as more upright windshield etc.

If Nascar was like F1 where on or maybe 2 drivers have a chance each week and they never pass no one in this counrty would watch. If you have notice F1 has never really caught on and for many think road racing is a bore.

I love road racing but understand the appeal of NASCAR. Like it or not it is not going away and they will still provide the closest racing their is. MFG love the control on the cost vs other series,

Toyota as long as the other MFG are involved will never doninate because NASCAR changes the rules if one MFG does. There is no free ride here just ask Dodge. The Germans have not been hapy because they were not given changes when they asked and I see the same for Toyota. They may win races but they will not dominate like Michale in a Ferrari.

Dont think anyone was complaining, just discussing the lack of a difference among the cars which unless you like the nascar brand of racing its not going to matter to you anyway.

Hah... I'm only stating the obvious. Yes, Nascar is about the drivers. It's been that way since the 70's. With each new generation of car they get more and more alike. However, this isn't to say they're identical... yet. I think with the next generation of cars they are going to be 100% identical and cars will only be sponsored by manufacturers. Currently, though, there are differences. Just because you don't want to see them, doesn't mean they're not there. I'm not looking at stickers, obviously, since even the old picture you posted with the stickerless prototypes have differences. My business? Haha... I'm sorry, but I'm not the one ignoring the obvious. Say what you will, but saying any more on this subject is worthless. :P

And if you still can't fathom the idea of there being differences, I searched for some articles to prove my point (which really shouldn't need to be proved to anyone who's not blind). :P

NASCAR's templates for its next generation stock car – the Car of Tomorrow – allow each manufacturer to have a distinctive front end on its respective COT design.

Unlike the current car which features a common template that mandates each manufacturer share a common front-end design, the new COT noses specifically are designed to give each manufacturer its own identity.

In the past, even slight aerodynamic and power differences between manufacturers had been a source of headaches for NASCAR officials. It was a common occurrence that one manufacturer would petition NASCAR officials for "relief" when it believed another may have an aerodynamic advantage.

That relief often came in the form of a penalty against the manufacturer seen as having an advantage.

NASCAR officials were not willing to revisit the past and had a plan in place to avoid it.

Several weeks ago, all four manufacturers had representatives on hand as each new nose design was wind-tunnel tested.

"The aerodynamic numbers on each were very close," said Robin Pemberton, NASCAR's director of competition. "We're confident that there will not be any problems with any of them."

When contacted on this issue, each manufacturer's representative agreed with Pemberton, adding that heading into the new season with the new car, NASCAR had done a good job in making sure the new nose designs were as close to one another as possible.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slug=b...o&type=lgns

“We had some flexibility to give it some individuality around the upper part of the nose,” Leslie said. “The lower part of the nose is 100 percent common for all brands because it’s a performance area, but the middle part of the bumper line up is 100 percent brand identity. The hood is brand identity.

“We did a lot of testing on what was available as far as performance gains, and then we worked in styling cues to complement the type of performance gain that we felt we could get.

“You never stop learning and testing, but right now we feel like we’ve go the best balance that we could as far as the performance aspect and putting as much brand identity as what we could into it.”

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/release_dis...m?release=25702

Isn't that what I've been saying? Odd. :D

What Hyper said.

Pish posh. :neenerneener::lol:

Edited by Mr.Krinkle

brand identity? :lol:

cause anybody but the die hard Ford/Chev/Dodge/Toyota fan would be able to tell what "brand" of car it is without all the stickers :rolleyes:

brand identity? :lol:

cause anybody but the die hard Ford/Chev/Dodge/Toyota fan would be able to tell what "brand" of car it is without all the stickers :rolleyes:

No mistaking it. That hood is 100%Gen-U-ine Chevrolet.

Even if they used production motors I'd find it more appealing.

I understand why they dont. They still use leaded fuel. With a catchcan. They probably spill more gas than some people use in week.