March 2007: Mazda North America

Mazda North American Operations (MNAO), including the U.S., Canada and Mexico, today reported best-ever March sales of 47,206 vehicles, beating its previous March record of 45,892 set back in 1994.

Mazda's U.S. sales were led in volume by its popular MAZDA3, which reported best-ever sales of 15,606, while the sporty MAZDA6 also celebrated its best-ever month with sales of 9,624 units. The all-new CX-9 seven passenger crossover SUV reported its best month since launch with 2,443 units. The MX-5 Miata posted its best month since March 1997 with sales of 2,281 units.

Overall calendar-year-to-date sales for the U.S. are up 17.5 percent versus last year, with 79,074 vehicles sold.

theautochannel.com

I can believe it: I've lost several deals in the past couple months to Mazda. The Civic's sales are down 20% so far this year in the Toronto area and the Mazda 3 is eating its lunch. People who were hot on the HHR went and got a Mazda5 (which I am horrified about - the 5 is nearly as ugly as the Element). Yesterday, a woman dropped off her Cavalier lease and drove off in her new Mazda.

Mazda has some very interesting product at this time. I think they are where Honda was a few years ago.

Very impressive numbers but this is what good product does. Besides the B-Series and MPV, every Mazda vehicle would be on my test drive list if I was in the market for a car in their respective classes.

I can believe it: I've lost several deals in the past couple months to Mazda. The Civic's sales are down 20% so far this year in the Toronto area and the Mazda 3 is eating its lunch. People who were hot on the HHR went and got a Mazda5 (which I am horrified about - the 5 is nearly as ugly as the Element). Yesterday, a woman dropped off her Cavalier lease and drove off in her new Mazda.

Mazda has some very interesting product at this time. I think they are where Honda was a few years ago.

I actually like the Mazda 3 wagon though. It is a decent looking car that likes to turn.

Chris

Mazda is seriously worthy of some in-depth scientific study here: they are excellent at attracting new buyers even tho they cannot seem to retain them. The disparity is unsurpassed.

Actually with the 3, 6, and Miata they will keep customers. The CRX-7 is sweet for an suv also.

Chris

^

It's called CX-7, not CRX-7.

But to be honest, the Mazda 3 and 6 are both damn good cars, if not a tad bit expensive. They are the only Japanese imports that hasn't been bastardized like the Corollas and Civics here ("localized" to cheapen parts). In fact, the Mazda 3s here are better than then ones in Asia. We don't get Mazda 3 Sport packages in Hong Kong.

Edited by ToniCipriani

the Mazda6 is a good buy, and its styling attracts youthful buyers. Mazda must be selling nearly all of them with the Pontiac package these days (cladding and spoilers). They are kind of now what Grand Prixs were 10-15 years ago. They give great deals on them. I think Mazda could still stand to put a much better v6 in them. Still, its amazing considering how dated the M6 design is considering other markets got the car like nearly 2 years before we did. I think having a hatch available helps a lot.

I am glad to see the civic losing sales and the mazda3 picking up sales. This renews my faith in people making the proper decisions. Its good to know the video game craze and fast furious culture is finally muted enough so the civic does not benefit in that way anymore. I guess there must not be enough pizza delivery jobs anymore to fit in to a busy gaming schedule these days. I hope they are stealing sales from corolla too. Mazda must have sweetened the pricing on the M3. In any case, this is a deserving car. Good job.

The CX-7 and CX-9 sales are early adopters trying to be 'cool'. I do not see either being huge sellers over time. maybe decent and steady, but they are too weird looking and the CX-9 is too expensive to be big market successes. They have been offering great leases on the CX-7 to convince people to take one in spite of its androgynous sexually confused styling and lack of v6.

Edited by regfootball