Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Camino LS6

Are the W bodies gone yet?

85 posts in this topic

I just seems like it is taking forever to dump these barges.

I can't wait 'til the last one rolls of the line, I think I'll pop open a bottle of champagne.

I can't wait 'til the last one rolls of the line, I think I'll pop open a bottle of champagne.

I will be crying in my beer when that happens. :hissyfit:

Sorry, but I'll be grinning ear-to-ear while you sob. I really hate those cars.

I don't hate them.... but they're dated and outclassed these days.

To me they are the rolling reminders of the bad old days at GM, and I can't wait for that era to pass into oblivion.

I don't hate them.... but they're dated and outclassed these days.

Christ, I'm almost 38 years old, I'm dated, but my wife is not kicking me out! :smilewide:

Christ, I'm almost 38 years old, I'm dated, but my wife is not kicking me out! :smilewide:

well *someone* has to date you..... might was well be her.

What's the next oldest car platform after these?

As far as GM, probably the G-body..goes back to the '90s?

Read "All Corvettes are Red". During the 90s GM kept pumping money into the W-body program despite every one of the cars failing in the marketplace. The Corvette team hated them with a passion. Me: I've driven three of them - a 90 Lumina, a 00 Intrigue, and a 06 LaCrosse. The Olds and Chevy were owned by my dad, and are two of the most reliable cars he has ever owned. They are vault-like and unflappable on the road, and take whatever you throw at them. I don't have a hatred for the W-bods, and am actually fond of quite a few of them. However, since their demise means that Oshawa can retool for Zeta, I'll gladly attend any W-Body Retirement Party.

I've driven a number of W rentals from Enterprise and Avis over the last decade, from Luminas and Regals to an '06 Impala, Monte Carlo, and Grand Prix...they were ok... comparable to the Tauruses I've driven from Hertz.

My favorite FWD sedan rentals over the last decade were probably the '99 and up Intrepids, 300Ms, Concordes, and LHSes...

These cars are what GM used to "replace" most of the GM cars I actually liked, and for two decades I've had to look at them.

Yup, I hate them, and can't wait to see them go to that great salvage yard in the sky.

That's it Mister I will take the 15 minute ride up to your house with a W body caravan an circle your property! :smilewide:

That's it Mister I will take the 15 minute ride up to your house with a W body caravan an circle your property! :smilewide:

He'll be able to slip out under the front overhang of any of those cars though.... :AH-HA_wink:

He'll be able to slip out under the front overhang of any of those cars though.... :AH-HA_wink:

It's only a 5 hour ride to your house mister! I'll give you overhang! :smilewide:

It's only a 5 hour ride to your house mister! I'll give you overhang! :smilewide:

tease

Camino... I'll gladly join you for a party when they cease production. :D

Will your Japanese Ford make it to Eastern PA?

Good!

My Silverado is hungry.

Will your Japanese Ford make it to Eastern PA?

It's not a Ford, it's just owned by Ford. :D

And yes, it would.

The W-Body should have died in 1999. The only thing that I can name off of the top of my head that is older would be a Panther car from the folks at Ford.

It's not a Ford, it's just owned by Ford. :D

And yes, it would.

because I'd tow it behind the Avalanche.....

I don't hate the W-Body. My dad has had two in the past decade: a 2000 Impala and a 2002 Grand Prix. He still has the GP. I've driven both. They are good cars.

Will I miss the W bodies? Only if nothing better comes out from GM to replace them. So no, probably not.

What's the next oldest car platform after these?

G-body. Introduced in 1993/94 for the 94/95 model year.

It'll be a true shame when the G-bodies go away. These are the the pinnacle of fullsize front-wheel drive from chassis rigidity to the sheer goodness of the individual cars that rode them.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0