Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Hybrid Theory

Dragon

by Joe Duarte

posted April 30, 2007

That new Chrysler Hybrid got a HEMI? As a matter of fact, it does.

Both the Chrysler Aspen and Dodge Durango – powered by Chrysler Group’s all-new 5.7-litre HEMI Hybrid powertrain – debut in 2008 as the first volume-production hybrid offerings from the Chrysler Group and the first vehicles to feature DaimlerChrysler’s advanced two-mode hybrid technology.

“The all-new Chrysler Group HEMI Hybrid will offer customers renowned performance and significantly improved fuel economy,” said Frank Klegon, Executive Vice President – Product Development, Chrysler Group. “With the new HEMI-powered Chrysler Aspen Hybrid, we are delivering the ultimate combination of fuel efficiency, overall performance and capability in a premium full-size SUV.”

The new 5.7-litre HEMI Hybrid is expected to deliver an overall fuel economy improvement of more than 25 percent, including an improvement of nearly 40 percent in the city.

The HEMI powerplant, in hybrid form, will continue to feature Chrysler Group’s Multi-displacement System (MDS), which allows the engine to seamlessly alternate between 4-cylinder mode when less power is needed and V8 mode when more power is in demand. For the fifth year in a row – and every year since its 2003 re-introduction -- Chrysler Group’s famous 5.7-litre HEMI engine has earned a place on Ward's 10 Best Engines list.

The new Chrysler Aspen Hybrid and Dodge Durango Hybrid vehicles represent a bold change in what is generally a “me too” category. Chrysler Group’s full-size hybrid vehicles will deliver seamless dependable power on demand in an efficient package. With an electrically variable transmission (featuring two electric motors), two full hybrid modes of operation, and four fixed mechanical gear ratios, the drive system improves fuel economy around town and at highway speeds.

Boasting elegant Chrysler styling, unsurpassed capability and performance, and abundant premium amenities, the Chrysler Aspen is a premium SUV that is a value alternative to luxury-priced competitors. Offering more for less, Aspen features numerous premium features, elegant Chrysler design, 30 safety features and best-in-class horsepower, torque and interior room.

Two-mode Hybrid

Chrysler Group’s two-mode hybrid powertrain – jointly developed by DaimlerChrysler, General Motors and the BMW Group - represents a major automotive industry milestone due to the unprecedented fully integrated combination of electric motors with a fixed-gear transmission.

As a result of the low- and high-speed electric continuously variable transmission (ECVT) modes, the system is commonly referred to as a two-mode hybrid. However, the sophisticated fuel-saving system also incorporates four fixed gear ratios for high efficiency and power-handling capabilities in a broad variety of vehicle applications.

The new Chrysler Aspen Hybrid and Dodge Durango Hybrid vehicles can be powered either by the electric motors or by the 5.7-litre HEMI V8 – or a combination of the two. During the two ECVT modes and four fixed-gear operations, the hybrid system can use the electric motors for boosting and/or regenerative braking. When full power is needed, the system automatically adjusts for passing, driving steep grades or hauling a trailer. The result is trend-setting hybrid technology that provides superior fuel economy, performance and load-carrying capability.

Honestly sounds like a good idea, but what a shame the vehicles that it will be put in are ugly. One 3 of Dodge/Chrysler products appeal to Magnum R/T and SRT-8, Charger R/T, SuperBee R/T & SRT-8 and SRT-8 and the 300C SRT-8 and the 300C to a lesser extend. The PT sucks, the current minivans are better than GM's and the new Sebring is as ugly and over-priced as the last one. Alot of excitement over there, I'd say. I think it is a good idea, but the Durango to me has always been ugly and at least the Aspen is better. I could care less glad they are Dodge-ing (HAHAHAH) new EPA ratings and CAFE regulations! :alcoholic::cheers::gm_logo:

Edited by gm4life

Honestly sounds like a good idea, but what a shame the vehicles that it will be put in are ugly. One 3 of Dodge/Chrysler products appeal to Magnum R/T and SRT-8, Charger R/T, SuperBee R/T & SRT-8 and SRT-8 and the 300C SRT-8 and the 300C to a lesser extend. The PT sucks, the current minivans are better than GM's and the new Sebring is as ugly and over-priced as the last one. Alot of excitement over there, I'd say. I think it is a good idea, but the Durango to me has always been ugly and at least the Aspen is better. I could care less glad they are Dodge-ing (HAHAHAH) new EPA ratings and CAFE regulations! :alcoholic::cheers::gm_logo:

Right...well by that definition GM will be "Dodge-ing" (H4H4H4H4H4H4H4H4 OMFGLOLZBBQ!1!!1!" the new EPA ratings using the same system in the Tahoe and company. Also, the PT is old now but it hardly sucks if GM decided to copy the idea.

I think the refreshed Durango is very handsome...especially the black SLT I saw.

Edited by Dodgefan

Right...well by that definition GM will be "Dodge-ing" (H4H4H4H4H4H4H4H4 OMFGLOLZBBQ!1!!1!" the new EPA ratings using the same system in the Tahoe and company. Also, the PT is old now but it hardly sucks if GM deiced to copy the idea.

I think the refreshed Durango is very handsome...especially the black SLT I saw.

Love the pun (or is it a play-on-words?), but I don't think this will be dodging EPA regulations at all. This will be the most advanced hybrid system in the world and will address fuel economy issues in a couple of manners that no other hybrid will:

1. It will work on the highway. Current hybrid systems lack the ability to utilize electic power while cruising. While a Prius may be rated at 50-60 mpg, it seriously fails to achieve that in everyday driving. The dual-stage will likely fall short of its stated goal too, but there will be less of a gap.

2. MPG is not the ultimate goal. There should be some rating of people-miles per gallon or utility-miles per gallon. Is it better that some idiot is flying around at 50 mpg by himself in a Prius or if there are 5 passengers in a Tahoe hybrid getting 25 mpg?

Love the pun (or is it a play-on-words?), but I don't think this will be dodging EPA regulations at all. This will be the most advanced hybrid system in the world and will address fuel economy issues in a couple of manners that no other hybrid will:

1. It will work on the highway. Current hybrid systems lack the ability to utilize electic power while cruising. While a Prius may be rated at 50-60 mpg, it seriously fails to achieve that in everyday driving. The dual-stage will likely fall short of its stated goal too, but there will be less of a gap.

2. MPG is not the ultimate goal. There should be some rating of people-miles per gallon or utility-miles per gallon. Is it better that some idiot is flying around at 50 mpg by himself in a Prius or if there are 5 passengers in a Tahoe hybrid getting 25 mpg?

I know, it's a very impressive system that GM, Chrysler, and BMW have developed...the pun and it's components were a shot back at the "let's make fun of the Durango..even though it's using the same system the Tahoe will be using" routine.

But it's ok...because the Tahoe gets like 80 mpg anyway...rendering far superior...with it's 4 speed automatic :P

I thought Linkin Park and Dodge had got together for some promotion when I first read the title. :P

Well, it'd be like Dodge to promote an album that almost 7 years old and a band that no longer does nu-metal, they've gone to doing progressive rock :P