New Camaro Questions

I would ask this in the Camaro thread but I had visions of being crucified upside down, naked on my front lawn with a yellow Caddy or a 59 Buick quietly driving away behind me.

I really don't care if it has a B-pillar. The 69 Mach 1, (MY opinion best looking Muscle car along with 70 Boss 302) did not have roll down rear windows and as such kind of had a permanant B-pillar. Also, my 66 Mustang was a fastback which when you think about it kind of makes it a HUGE B pillar (or Huge C-pillar if you prefer.)

I do care about...

When is this car coming out? Do we know?

What V-6 will it have?

Will the V-6 be available with a 5 speed?

What H.P. are we talking about with a V-6?

Will heritage colors (like Hugger Orange, Cortez Silver, or Daytona Yellow) be available if you buy a lowly 6?

Will there be an upgraded suspension with goodies like Koni's if you get a V-6?

The thought of using this at the local SCCA autocross with a V-6 and showing a few Honda's Chevrolet tail-light has some appeal.

I would buy a V-8 but I will have two teenaged drivers in the house when this thing comes out with a third right on their heels.

And yes, I am really thinking of buying one (and have the means) when this thing comes out.

Chris

I would ask this in the Camaro thread but I had visions of being crucified upside down, naked on my front lawn with a yellow Caddy or a 59 Buick quietly driving away behind me.

I really don't care if it has a B-pillar. The 69 Mach 1, (MY opinion best looking Muscle car along with 70 Boss 302) did not have roll down rear windows and as such kind of had a permanant B-pillar. Also, my 66 Mustang was a fastback which when you think about it kind of makes it a HUGE B pillar (or Huge C-pillar if you prefer.)

I do care about...

When is this car coming out? Do we know?

What V-6 will it have?

Will the V-6 be available with a 5 speed?

What H.P. are we talking about with a V-6?

Will heritage colors (like Hugger Orange, Cortez Silver, or Daytona Yellow) be available if you buy a lowly 6?

Will there be an upgraded suspension with goodies like Koni's if you get a V-6?

The thought of using this at the local SCCA autocross with a V-6 and showing a few Honda's Chevrolet tail-light has some appeal.

I would buy a V-8 but I will have two teenaged drivers in the house when this thing comes out with a third right on their heels.

And yes, I am really thinking of buying one (and have the means) when this thing comes out.

Chris

Well it will be built late 08 and on sale early 09 if all goes as planned.

From what I have read and heard expect couple V6 engines. I don't expect the 3.9. I believe it will be something we have not seen yet.

I also have gleemed that the V6 will be offered in 5 speed Manuel and Auto.

HP will be one V6 around 250 HP and one V6 over 300 HP. The only blown engine will be the top line Camaro LS9 around 550 HP or what ever it takes to top the Shelby and 430 HP in the LS3.

Upgrade parts will be available from the after market but it will take some time. The stock package should keep you happy in the mean time

Too soon to give colors yet. I would be suprised if GM has that set yet.

Silver and Orange I would bet will be in the mix as well as White, Black and Red. I suspect there will be a Blue in there some where too. Now all we need is a Fathom Geen.

I would say the V6 may be a Honda killer but will have to wait to line them up first. I would expect the V6 would be a Autocross dream with a great balance. Now We can only hope they can lose a few pounds.

I am more excited by the V6 package as with gas prices rising this will be a very important car. The prospect of a V6 going where the SS left off in the 4th gen in mind blowing. I am hoping GM proides sport packages to compliment the V6 and give it the parts to make it a very appeling option to those who in the past would only buy the V8.

The price, standard features, fuel mileage, insurance cost all sould overshadow the base Mustang and really carry the Camaro.

Edited by hyperv6

I heard the 3.9L VVT OHV V6 or the "new" Vortec V6 to replace the 4.3L V6 in trucks and also to go into the next generation of Colorado/Cayon (Global Small Pickups). The 3.6L VVT I have heard was to expensive to produce and too also keep in my mind they want to keep costs way down on base/low-end models. A base 'Stang is only about 20K. They said to put the DOHC V6 in there would cost more than a base V6 model should be.

This is smart. The economy is still seemingly week in terms of job creation and they ain't gonna sell 100k units at 32k apiece.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the Colorado-Canyon w a V-6. Although from what I have heard the 5 cyl is working out very well in these vehicles.

Chris

I heard the 3.9L VVT OHV V6 or the "new" Vortec V6 to replace the 4.3L V6 in trucks and also to go into the next generation of Colorado/Cayon (Global Small Pickups). The 3.6L VVT I have heard was to expensive to produce and too also keep in my mind they want to keep costs way down on base/low-end models. A base 'Stang is only about 20K. They said to put the DOHC V6 in there would cost more than a base V6 model should be.

I do not know the identity of the engine but it has yet to see in any GM vehicle.

The new engine has no forced induction and will have 320 reasons for us to be happy! I would expect this in a more upscale car around $24K-$27K. The base car at $20K will have to make do with 240 HP-260 HP.

I do not know much on the 4.3 replacment but that sound like something to watch. I never really expected a 3.6 unless they could trim cost.

Could it be based on a LS with only 6 Cylinders.

Either way this more upscale V6 car will be the Volume car for the Camaro.

As for the pick up trucks I wish they offered the I6 trailblazer engine but I expect cost has voided that idea.

I excpect the Z28 to be the top line car to fight the Shelby. The SS will be the Performance GT fighter and the unknow up scale V6 Camaro be a RS or some new name?

I wonder if and when this car will Really arrive. Chevy follows Ford again. How many thousands of Mustangs have already been sold that could have been Camaro's? By the time they get this to market there will be $4.00 ( or more gas ) Quality better be top notch or GM will take one up the you know what. On paper things look attractive ( engines etc ) but you would have thought Chevy could have got their $h! together sooner

I wonder if and when this car will Really arrive. Chevy follows Ford again. How many thousands of Mustangs have already been sold that could have been Camaro's? By the time they get this to market there will be $4.00 ( or more gas ) Quality better be top notch or GM will take one up the you know what. On paper things look attractive ( engines etc ) but you would have thought Chevy could have got their $h! together sooner

They would have gotten it together sooner if you could have loaned them the billions to move the Zeta up sooner. Can't build what you can't pay for. GM's not unlike most of us and have to budget their income to pay for everything, their pockets are not bottomless.

Remember Zeta was delayed because the trucks had to come first since they make the money.

There is no if the car is scoming and the V6 with the high gas will be important. 30+ MPG and good power will be key to the majority of sales.

Edited by hyperv6

Although someone will put an aftermarket LS-9 in it tho. Seriously I doubt they will have 2 six cylinder motors for it. I would bet it would be something like this. Camaro Trims: LS V6, RS V6, Z28 (baby V8), SS (big V8). I think having 4 motors and two of them six cylinders is highly unlikely. The volume model would be the baby V8 I would think. Mustangs are heavily fleeted with V6's but most people that have a hard-top Mustang around me have a GT with a V8. As for the Vert's it is more 6's traditionally. Camaro buyers traditionally wanted more guts and most later years tended to get a 5.7L LS1. Just my view.

They would have gotten it together sooner if you could have loaned them the billions to move the Zeta up sooner. Can't build what you can't pay for. GM's not unlike most of us and have to budget their income to pay for everything, their pockets are not bottomless.

Remember Zeta was delayed because the trucks had to come first since they make the money.

There is no if the car is scoming and the V6 with the high gas will be important. 30+ MPG and good power will be key to the majority of sales.

...and the unfortunate upshot is that the GMT-900's are not selling as expected, incentives were just raised, meaning that the rest of the Zeta program has been imperiled.

Camaro without the rest of the products is not good. (Please note, they did find Billions to fund GM-DAT small car programs in Korea. That move will set the general tone for GM in the future, unfortunately.)

The Camaro isn't going to get the LS9 motor. That motor is way too expensive to make for a car like Camaro.

It will have a blown motor, but not the LS9.

Production starts in early '09.

Will the blown motor be a 6 or 8 cylinder engine? I always liked how the 4th gen Z28's and SS's didn't need forced induction to compete with the Cobra... Maybe my heart will be broken, kinda like with 68 and B-pillars...

...and the unfortunate upshot is that the GMT-900's are not selling as expected, incentives were just raised, meaning that the rest of the Zeta program has been imperiled.

Camaro without the rest of the products is not good. (Please note, they did find Billions to fund GM-DAT small car programs in Korea. That move will set the general tone for GM in the future, unfortunately.)

In the long term the truck will se a profit the Zetas never will just because of long term builds and volume.

Zeta is not inperil it was just on hold and that is now gone. Zeta is not going to rule GM and never was expected to rule it. You midsize FWD cars are now and have been your volume cars.

The Zeta was only ever expected to sell overseas and only offer a line of cars in the States that Japan does not offer. The day of the Impala being GM's big seller is over when it goes to RWD and that is expected by GM. The Malibu is the new sales leader for the future.

Will the blown motor be a 6 or 8 cylinder engine? I always liked how the 4th gen Z28's and SS's didn't need forced induction to compete with the Cobra... Maybe my heart will be broken, kinda like with 68 and B-pillars...

I only have called it the LS9 because no name has been give to this point. But it will be SC and around 550 HP. It will only be on the top line car I expect to be the Z28 a year or so after intro. Things I expecect it to lack are dry sumps systems and other trick internal parts the Vette SS will have. It will have enough to out power a Shelby.

As for the V6 they are natural not SC or turbo needed.

Keep in mind what it would take to make 500+ HP and still meet emissions and milage requirements. There is no shame in a SC.

If a SC was available from Chevy in 1969 they would have been as popular as the Big Blocks were.

Funny stuff.

Nothing wrong wit forced induction, BUT turbo/supercharging aside

we need a solid, powerhouse of a motor in the SS or Z/28 that is

nothing but a LS-based pushrod torque monster. Knowing what we

do about GM, I'm sure forced induction will not be a crutch.

Wow... So old rumors were 2 V6's and a V8. But I couldn't see the only V8 being blown. So, might it be 2 V6's and 2 V8's (possibly just the same engine but with a supercharger)?

As of now they plan on 2 V6 engines and 2 V8 engines

1 V6 Non supercharged and non turbo around 250 HP

1 V6 Non Supercharged and non Turbo around 320 HP

1 V8 non Supercharged and non Turbo around 430 HP

1 V8 with Supercharger and around 550 HP will not be as bad as the Blue Devil but it will have the needed parts to support the added power.

I just want an affordable (pillarless) hardtop for Marcia with a

cheap, basic no-frills V8. Make it a 4.0 LS-based pushrod with

"only" 240 hp for all I care.... I'd rather have a baby V8 and

enjoy the smooth luxury of a V8 than some powerhouse of a

V6 that sucks down JUST as much fuel & compromises on the

smooth idle & DOD capabilities of an eight.

In a perfect world I'd have an Atlas I6 powered Camaro and

would not long for a V8.

V8 > V6

BUT

I6 > V6

Keep in mind it still cold be some form of the 3.6.

The more you build the cheaper it gets.

And add that GM will be using the 3.6 in Sigma Caddies, VE Holdens, all Epsilon cars, all Lambdas, all Thetas, and in the oversease pickups. It looks like the 3.6 will actually a be very high volume engine.

I think an LS based V6 would be a good idea.

V6 suck in general compared to Inline-Sixes... BUT if

you're going to have a V6 it does make more sense

to have it be 60* versus 90* it's just smoother &

causes less NVH.

V6 suck in general compared to Inline-Sixes... BUT if

you're going to have a V6 it does make more sense

to have it be 60* versus 90* it's just smoother &

causes less NVH.

Agree on the I6 but they jsut don't fit into may different cars. The V6 can go RWD or transverse FWD if needed.

The 60 degree is smoother over all but with the balance shafts of today even the 3.8 is no wherelike it used to be. Also the 90's seem to have better torque.

Actually as far as the 6 vs. 8 thing goes I would rather have a v-8. However, with 350/450 h.p. on tap it would be wayyy to much for the teenaged driver(s) in my house.

A V-6 is a simple compromise in the idea of keeping my son alive when he gets behind the wheel. I just remember how stupid I was with my 70 Chevelle when I was 17.

Chris

While I STRONGLY prefer a V8 over a V6 at this point in my life

I'd rather take a V6 powered Hardtop over a V8 powered post...

so long as the V6/HT car is still a manual trans.

The average driver wpu;d bew happy with a 300 HP V6 and good milage in time like today.

The option to buy a V8 is there for those that the added cost is not an issue.

Lets face it the last Z28 was just over 300 HO and no one coplained.

I only think the bad part is many V6 engines do not have exhaust systems tuned to sound very good.

The one rare exception was the 2.8 V6 Fiero stock exhaust. It was tuned and had a good Euro tone that did not sound like a Citation engine.

GM can and I assume will tune the new engine to sound better. Ort at least to the point of where the Gov reg will let them.

Just don't make it sound like a S10 with duel pipes. Those sound so cheesey.

Actually Bonneville SLE/SSEi's, Grand Prix GT/GTP models I always thought sounded exceptional from the factory. Maybe I am biased.

I have had a SSEI and have a GTP and both just need a little lower tone. They are betther than many but not as good as could be. I think the duel pipes are their only advantage. They never had the Trans Am, Fiero deep tone.

This is easily changed with an after market exhaust if you want the car to sound differently.

Chris

I know as I sell about any kind of aftermarket exhaust at work from Flowmaster to Borla.

My point is most V6 engines need a exhaust engineered to sound good as most V6 engines with aftemarket exhaust have poor sound.

There are enough V6 pick ups running around that sound like junk with Flowmanster and the like.

The Camaro is a everyday enthusiast car and sould sound like an enthusiast car and not like a Malibu.

I have yet to chang my 4.3 exhaust on my truck due to the fact most sound like crap.

Edited by hyperv6

Which indeed is a good point. Having worked as an SCCA flagger and race official I have spent many a weekend with these cars coming past me at full throttle on track. Most v-6's do not have a good exhaust note. I can handle a smooth, rev happy 4 or a thundering v-8 but listening to most V-6's feels like kissing ones sister...just does not sound right.

I have heard good exhaust notes with Buick Grand Nationals however.

Also really like the exhaust note of the modular Ford v-8...still a v-8 note but smoother than a lot of v-8's.

Chris