Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Chevrolet Crossover likely to be dubbed Traverse

Ideally, the Chevy Lambda (Traverse) should be a five passenger version, have the body styled as such and not just a regular Lambda minus the back seat, and compete against the Ford Edge, Mazda CX-7, and the upcoming Dodge crossover. This would make it truly unique in the GM crossover lineup and would not compete directly with the Acadia/OUTLOOK/Enclave market (since they are 7/8 passenger models).

But we all know that won't happen, and the Chevy Traverse will still be a 7/8 seater and will only cannibalize sales from the other three. That is until the OUTLOOK sales fall below expectations and GM decides Saturn doesn't need the vehicle anymore because more people buy the Chevy version vs. the Saturn. Or the GMC Acadia - you make the pick. :rolleyes:

I can't see GM selling four versions all the same. The Chevy has to be different from the rest, otherwise GM is just taking two steps BACKWARDS again.

That's what the MID-SIZED (no, not compact, but mid-sized) Equinox is for. Give the Traverse the 8-passenger seating, LS, LT, and LTZ trims, 270hp for LS/LT, and 285hp for the LTZ, which would be like the SS version, but given the more appopriate LTZ badge, and not something meaningless and cliched like 'Sport'. I love the GMC Acadia, but it overlaps directly with the Saturn Outlook and Buick Enclave, and that would be the first to go. I feel all three are excellent vehicles (saw an Enclave a couple weekends ago, not the inside or a brochure yet, but it looks great)! And I would love to see Outlook with styling cues of the Prevue/Antara GTC concept (not the production vehicles), which would better set it apart, and for Traverse and Enclave to offer a front split bench seat, in cloth and leather options.

Guest YellowJacket894

The old Traverse:

Posted Image

Posted Image

That is actually what should have essentially been the Equinox, effectively replacing both the Tracker and the Blazer. The concept was S10-based. I've always liked the Traverse concept for some reason, and the fact that GM used it as the basis for the Malibu/Maxx just stumps me, really. The interior was actually pretty nice as well, in a way it resembles the '06 Impala's interior (overall shape of the dash, etc.). Odd how a really cool SUV was diluted into a bunch of Chevy sedans.

Umm the HHR is a 4-cyl CUV, the best selling in its small segment (earlier entries having moved up a size). GM is planning more, but that will help Saturn and GMC more than Chevrolet. Of course if it was my decision GM would replace the Equinox with the 7-seat Captiva (and 2.4 Dual-VVT to target the CR-V), and pitch the lwb TE at the Edge and Highlander.

HHR does not come available in AWD or 4WD, which seems to be all the rage these days. How many "cross-overs" does Ford, our old nemesis have these days? Besides, HHR is not selling well north of the border, nor I suspect in the areas where domestics are weaker, as most people will shop the Sante Fe, etc. which DO come with AWD.

well i'm betting since the Tahoe offers a front row bench, that the "Traverse" will as well.

Also, Chevrolet has the laaaaargest line-up of any GM brand. If all they are missing is a large crossover, than BOO HOO!

I mean seriously. they have more sedans, suv, wagons, sportcars, etc, than probably the GM brands combined. I say get over it, and work on your sales skills. I'm seriously disapointed and ashamed everytime I visit one to browse.

Be careful, GM is amalgamating P-B-GMC these days, and I think if you add up the total model count, they are pretty close. Moreover, I am basing my opinions on the market in the greater Toronto area - the largest in Canada.

The Corvette is dead. Most dealers here don't even stock them. The Monte Carlos, ditto. The Aveo sells, but Pontiac has a twin. The Cobalt sells, but Pontiac has a twin. Same for the Tahoe, Suburban and Silverado (the former two don't sell all that well in the Toronto area, a combination of $4.50 a gallon gas and people here would rather spend their $60k on a Volvo or Lexus) ditto. We never got a version of the Vibe, although we do have the Optra 5, which does sell decently.

I could go on, but I think the point is that Chevrolet by itself is on weaker ground, long term, than P-B-GMC. There are lots of people who would never consider a Chev because of its "low-end" status, but would buy a Pontiac or Buick. That being the case, Pontiac has no business straddling the low-end of the price scale, too. Does it make any sense for the newly paired (for you guys) P-B dealers two have TWO lambdas while the Chevy stores have NONE?

I say, let them have the lambda crossover, but give Chevrolet an exclusive segment busting minivan. That way, no over lap and everybody is happy! :P

I say, let them have the lambda crossover, but give Chevrolet an exclusive segment busting minivan. That way, no over lap and everybody is happy! :P

That is 100% the right idea. Chevy can be the only one to offer a minivan, unless Saturn or Buick makes their Lambda CUV into one to give GM a more upscale version too. Actually, that would make sense - leave GMC & Saturn with the crossovers, and Chevy & Buick with the minivans. Not a lot of product overlap and it gives each of those four divisons a Lambda product to sell.

Be careful, GM is amalgamating P-B-GMC these days, and I think if you add up the total model count, they are pretty close. Moreover, I am basing my opinions on the market in the greater Toronto area - the largest in Canada.

The Corvette is dead. Most dealers here don't even stock them. The Monte Carlos, ditto. The Aveo sells, but Pontiac has a twin. The Cobalt sells, but Pontiac has a twin. Same for the Tahoe, Suburban and Silverado (the former two don't sell all that well in the Toronto area, a combination of $4.50 a gallon gas and people here would rather spend their $60k on a Volvo or Lexus) ditto. We never got a version of the Vibe, although we do have the Optra 5, which does sell decently.

Umm...I don't think your particular market is ANY indication of either suburban areas in Canada or the US market at all. Corvette essentially OWNS the V8 2 seat coupe/targa/convertible market and makes enough profit per car to fund all of its future development (including the Z06 and Blue Devil). A V8 only targa/convertible car won't sell well in a colder climate urban setting vs a warm climate open road setting (California). MC is dead after this year, everone knows it. The car is just not competitive anymore (though I am willing to wager that it makes a profit). The Cobalt outsells the Pursuit/G5 in the US as well as Canada, with the US being a total non competition. The Wave is a rebadge of the Aveo/Kalos and sells purely based on price and appearance. The Suburban/Silverado sell in suburban areas (imagine that). Take a look at what has kept GM afloat for the last decade and you will see. They likely don't sell well in your area because it is a large metropolitan area that is better suited for car usage vs trucks (likely the same in NY). Add in the higher price of gas in Canada and their general preffrence for smaller cars and you can easily see that your experience isn't the norm.

Umm...I don't think your particular market is ANY indication of either suburban areas in Canada or the US market at all. Corvette essentially OWNS the V8 2 seat coupe/targa/convertible market and makes enough profit per car to fund all of its future development (including the Z06 and Blue Devil). A V8 only targa/convertible car won't sell well in a colder climate urban setting vs a warm climate open road setting (California). MC is dead after this year, everone knows it. The car is just not competitive anymore (though I am willing to wager that it makes a profit). The Cobalt outsells the Pursuit/G5 in the US as well as Canada, with the US being a total non competition. The Wave is a rebadge of the Aveo/Kalos and sells purely based on price and appearance. The Suburban/Silverado sell in suburban areas (imagine that). Take a look at what has kept GM afloat for the last decade and you will see. They likely don't sell well in your area because it is a large metropolitan area that is better suited for car usage vs trucks (likely the same in NY). Add in the higher price of gas in Canada and their general preffrence for smaller cars and you can easily see that your experience isn't the norm.

Duh, I know that, but my warning is to watch what is happening here BECAUSE we already have $4 a gallon gas, heading to $5 on our coasts. And I am aware of Canada's national sales figures and the Silverado is outsold by both the Sierra and the RAM. Chevrolet's name is sinking....fast in Canada - and your coasts, too. Sure, against a stand alone Pontiac store or Buick, Chevy would have the edge, but Canada has always been amalgamated. Right now, the P-B-GMC portfolio is more matched and fluid.

As the widow of a former boss of mine said as she dropped off her leased Alero GLS and picked up her new BMW, Toronto is a "more sophisticated market." Read: if it is imported it is good. Forget that her husband sold Cadillacs for 20 years and paid for their kid's gold-plated education by working for GM - the kid was pushing for the BMW, by the way. Chevrolet was paired with Oldsmobile in Canada - and we all know where that portfolio is today.

And the Corvette won't own ANY market at $10 a gallon, which we are one more Katrina or Isreali strike on Iranian reactor sites from.

And the Corvette won't own ANY market at $10 a gallon, which we are one more Katrina or Isreali strike on Iranian reactor sites from.

The Corvette will continue to dominate its market as it has since the 60s. BTW it gets better gas mileage than anything remotely comparable. BTW I don't think the sky is falling quite yet but when it does be sure your tin foil hat is ready to go. :thumbsup:

Why does anyone want it to be 5-passenger? The Equinox takes care of that. In addition, if the Chevy is priced at $25k, how is this going to cannibalize a whole lot of sales? If the base Chevy is $5k cheaper than the Saturn counterpart, it's going to attract different buyers simply on price. GM wants to do a very, very high number of Chevy Lambdas. The number about 4/5s of that of how many Malibus they want to sell; therefore, I say it's not starting at $30k, but more like $24k.

I like the quiet ride and smooth power delivery of the Buick Enclave. The only thing I don't need is the 7 seat capability.

I would prefer a shorter vehicle length to meet my families needs for my wife truck.

Not sure if I'm waiting though and might just pop for the Enclave this fall.

What a beauty! Would be nice if there was a short wheelbase version though.

Even if it only were a few grand less that would be fine.

As far as the Equinox or Torrent. I can't get the wife to drive one. She just does not like the look especially the interior with the high narrow doors? I don't get it but she's insistant.

The Saturn Vue is a no go too...Something awkward about its looks she says.

On a personal note I've learned not to argue with the wifey when her mind is made up about a vehicle looks. Not worth the misery! LOL

All kidding aside it would make sense to make a shorter wheelbase version of the platform and offer it for sale.

Even if Cadillac had a short wheelbase version priced identical to the 7 seat buick that would be fine too.

I just don't need 7 seats EVER. (almost) The third row leaves room for the In laws if you get my drift!

The Corvette will continue to dominate its market as it has since the 60s. BTW it gets better gas mileage than anything remotely comparable. BTW I don't think the sky is falling quite yet but when it does be sure your tin foil hat is ready to go. :thumbsup:

Great point about the Corvette and its mileage.

However, the Vette is definitely the exception to the rule. I truly believe that there is a threshold for how high gas prices will rise and how many people will substitute out of large vehicles. For a while now I've thought it's much worse to own a 2-seat roadster that gets 15 mpg as opposed to a Tahoe that gets about the same. At some point, people will start abandoning sporty cars for that fact. I'll even go further as to say that I believe there is a level that gas prices can hit that will actually cause people to return to large vehicles and alter their behaviors instead (car pool). Think about it, one popular method of saving on gas costs and lowering emmissions is to take public transit. And the last time I checked, buses aren't too fuel efficient, they just carry a lot of people. In that right, how many people can you fit in a Suburban? Taking 7 people to work with you and sharing gas costs will save you a lot more money than buying a Prius will.

• 2 weeks later...

I still hold out hopes for a five-seater GMT-355 successor-based Trailblazer.

I'll second that. I don't think the mid-size SUV segment will ever die (unless it is intentionally killed off). I think there will be a thinning out of the owner ranks as those that don't use them offroad are lured to the more car-like car based offerings out there, and secondly the Trailblazer is just getting old. Some new styling, better interior and six-speed auto is needed. I would rather see Chevy get a [next gen] Colorado based Blazer.

Four Lambdas seems a bit much. I own an Acadia and love it, but can't imagine why they would sell the Buick version on the same lot. If they were smart, they should have fancied up the Enclave a bit more and sold it as a Cadillac and dumped the SRX, which does not seem to be doing too well.

Shopping for a Saturn these days is not really any different from any other GM brand....I don't think they are sticking to the "no haggle" pricing strategy any more. They should combine the Saturn and Chevy dealerships and slim down the product line on each rather than sell multiple versions of the same car (Outlook/Traverse, Ion/Cobalt, etc).

Its going to be interesting how they differentiate the Chevy from the GMC....I would consider them the most "like" brands. Subjectively, IMHO, the Acadia is the best looking of the Lambdas with the Outlook as a close second...I think its selling the best as well - its hard to imagine they would remove it from the GMC line-up. If anything, they should put a deisel or a V8 in only the GMC...fits better with the "professional grade" image...I would imagine that they could sell more if at least one version had some adequate towing capacity (4500 lbs is not bad, but I would imagine limiting for some).

As usual, the "Chevy/'their dealers get what they want" school of thought wins again.

Ah, contraire, my friend. The Pontiac dealers whined and got the Torrent, they whined again and got the Wave, they even got the Vibe all to themselves AND all versions of the Pursuit up here. Remember, with Pontiac/Buick/GMC under one roof (and in Canada, most Cadillac dealers are positioned with P-B-GMC, too!) their line up is quite formidable.

Chevrolet/Oldsmobile were paired together, and I can't tell you the damage done to my portfolio since losing Oldsmobile. Believe me, I feel like a traffic cop for P-B-GMC when people come looking for a viable 8 passenger. The Tahoe/Suburban don't sell that well up here and the Uplander was a great stop-gap measure two years ago, but we can't even give them away any more. Convertibles? Pontiac has 2; Chevrolet has none (and I don't include the Corvette which is $80k up here.) I could go on, but I think you get the picture.

What sense does it make for Buick and GMC to have virtually the same vehicle under the same roof? I have had customers ask me that question and I have no answer. I haven't sold a Trailblazer in a year. That is one dog that won't hunt. The Equinox is the only truck that we are selling in quantity. Personally, I am praying for a small CUV to replace the Tracker. We sold a lot of Trackers back in the day - and a lot of those customers are buying out their leases because they like them so much.

I made this point earlier, and I will repeat it again: GM wants us to nurture our customers and keep them through all their purchases. The P-B-GMC dealers are positioned to do this, Chevrolet is not. Remember that GM has deliberately set up this adversarial relationship amongst the dealers. In the U.S. Chevrolet is all about the Silverado, which outsold the Sierra 3:1. Up here, the Sierra outsold the Silverado. When (not IF) the P/U market tanks, Chevrolet dealers south of the border will bleed more red ink.

Giving Chevrolet an exclusive minivan would be my choice, but giving it a decent lambda would do. I just hope it isn't another Montana/Venture knock-off.

As usual, the "Chevy/'their dealers get what they want" school of thought wins again.

Yeah what a terrible idea: give your largest volume and profit brand a version of a chassis that will very likely outsell all others COMBINED! What idiots they are. :rolleyes: