2008s are PHYSICALLY here

Having rear struts put on my Regal today and there is a Pontiac dealer down the street in Portland OR.

I walk over there. I saw TWO 2008 Grand Prixs, labeled as such on the sticker. No change whatsoever, except about $ 200 more expensive.

Does it really matter as the car other than the GXP has changed so liitle over the last few years. We get a few new colors and some odd option in packages that are changed just a lttle.

It is a old car going out quitely and somewhat gracefully.

As for the new cars out now the W cars have regulary done changes in March/April since 2004.

They were intro'd in March of 03 as a 04

They had some updated in March of 04 that carried over to the 04 like the Comp G badge etc.

They intro's the GXP around March April of 06.

Not sure why but the GP has just done a lot of updates or change overs early in the year.

Mine is a 04 Comp G but has the 05 Comp G badge. They eliminated the trunk lock later and added the back seat cup holder and wheels later that fall. I also got the updated rear seat bottom that was intro'd in Dec of 03 that had more padding than the early cars.

The 05 did not get the headlight mount upgrade till after they fall roll out. So the early 05 cars headlights will bounce like the 04 cars unless ypu complain and give the the TSB on it.

Not sure if thre same flux applied to the pre 04 cars but the later cars have been a work in progress not hinged on model year only.

Going to buy one? :AH-HA_wink:

I'm still an undecided 'effin train wreck on this one! I'm still stuck on the same 'effin 3 cars!

LaCrosse - as impeccably reliable as my Regal 3800 has been, shouldn't I go back?

Grand Prix - trying to overlook the strapped in astronaut feeling and pinched headlights as it is the only normal price point GM brand that I haven't yet owned and, underneath it all, the mechanicals are the same as those of the LaCrosse

Monte Carlo - ocnblu thinks I need to plunge into the last hurrah for the W-body coupe but I am still :scratchchin: about the addition of VVT onto the 3.5 V6 and I seem to know more about it than the service advisors that I try to pump for information.

I will have 6 weeks of sleeping on beaches in Italy, Spain and Portugal to think about it. :lol:

I'm still an undecided 'effin train wreck on this one! I'm still stuck on the same 'effin 3 cars!

LaCrosse - as impeccably reliable as my Regal 3800 has been, shouldn't I go back?

Grand Prix - trying to overlook the strapped in astronaut feeling and pinched headlights as it is the only normal price point GM brand that I haven't yet owned and, underneath it all, the mechanicals are the same as those of the LaCrosse

Monte Carlo - ocnblu thinks I need to plunge into the last hurrah for the W-body coupe but I am still :scratchchin: about the addition of VVT onto the 3.5 V6 and I seem to know more about it than the service advisors that I try to pump for information.

I will have 6 weeks of sleeping on beaches in Italy, Spain and Portugal to think about it. :lol:

Now is the time to buy Monte's as they are giving grrat price's now.

I was told of a new SS that was fully loaded that went for $20K. I figure the dealer needed it off the floor plan and had to move it since it is a very small dealer.

I am not a big Monte fan but at that price it would make me consider one.

I am not a big Monte fan but at that price it would make me consider one.

Yes, I see, but what are your thoughts on my concern for the engine modification?

(Even around here, there are still 2006s lingering on lots)

Be sure to use plenty of sunscreen: I was at Guincho beach (in Cascais) yesterday for just two hours and my face is as red as a :censored: lobster

As for modifications they are limited on all but the 3800 SC cars.

The V8 has some things you can do if you know what to do.

Stock 3800 is limited for cheap mods

and all other engines that have been offered the last 3 years have few options for modification.

I have a few friends with Montes from the last 3 years all have been reliable and very cheap to purchase. only one has done any mods and it was a SLP exhaust modified to fit the small Chevy V6.

The bad side of the Monte is poor resale. Also buying the end of a car line will leave you with a new car that will not age well. But on the positive most of the bugs are worked out.

Might read up on the mods for the W body on ClubGP.com. What works on the GP works on the Monte. The weak spot is the tranny if you add power.

I know the brand manager for the Monte and Impala. He is a great guy and car nut. The sad part is he never really could get what he wanted when he wanted for the Monte. He was still upset they could never get the GEN III 3800 SC for the Monte when Pontiac got it. It would have been great for Chevy as it will run on regular gas and dial the power down 20 HP. He felt if Chevy was the value car that option would have been a great help to sales vs the 3800 SC GEN II that was premium only

I spent 5 days with a rental 2007 Malibu with the VVT 3500 V6 and was quite surprised! It sounded a lot more refined than any other Chevy 60 degree V6 I have ever driven. Most of the thrash and exhaust noise were gone, it revved it's heart out when the go pedal was to the floor, obtained 29.3 combined mpg overall and was a hoot to drive. I have seen people with 2006 Impala fleet cars with the 3500 VVT that have over 60K and no issues of any kind with the engine so that is a good sign. I'm thinking of getting a 06-07 Monte with this engine and at least the LT2 package. I like the newer 06-07 Grand Prix and the 08 LaCrosse with it's updates grille too. For my budget, the Monte is the most affordable of the bunch with the GP a close second.

When on the beaches, keep a sharp eye out for the Marine Mammal Rescue team! :P:smilewide:

Most of the thrash and exhaust noise were gone, it revved it's heart out when the go pedal was to the floor, obtained 29.3 combined mpg overall and was a hoot to drive. I have seen people with 2006 Impala fleet cars with the 3500 VVT that have over 60K and no issues of any kind with the engine so that is a good sign. I'm thinking of getting a 06-07 Monte with this engine and at least the LT2 package. I like the newer 06-07 Grand Prix and the 08 LaCrosse with it's updates grille too. For my budget, the Monte is the most affordable of the bunch with the GP a close second.

Thanks for sharing how your friends' fleet cars are doing. (Funny, I have an Impala rental as we speak, given that I deposited my Buick to my parents' garage last week). Wonderful car, though it's not my style.

You are right. The Chevy V6's appear to be hushed and refined. Some modifications have been made and I don't think it was VVT that accomplished that, though.

As for LT2s in an MC, that is exactly the package I want. The changeover from a urethane wheel to a leather wheel makes for a completely different (better) driving experience and the alloys HAVE to be there, as it looks cheap with wheel covers.

If you search the Chevy site locator, there are 2006s in LT2 form around here and there.

If you search for 2007 LT 3.5s, there are NONE around...anywhere. It's almost as if there was a production update that clipped these off or maybe allowed them only for the rental fleets. I'm scratching my head on this one.