Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Northstar

GM changes top manager in performance division

60 posts in this topic

By Jamie LaReau Automotive News / October 03, 2005 DETROIT -- General Motors is shuffling top management in its performance division as it pushes to reorganize product development on a global scale. Mark Reuss, 42, handed over the reigns of the performance division to 25-year GM veteran Bob Kruse, 49, effective Oct. 1. Kruse retains his position as executive director of GM North America vehicle integration. Reuss replaces Matt Tsien, 45, as executive director of GM North America vehicle systems and a 25-year GM veteran. Tsien is now executive director for global central engineering. Reuss, who has worked for GM since 1983, had been executive director of GM's performance division since 2002. "Mark has a completely new job," says GM spokesman Tom Wilkinson. "His responsibilities now concern the development of the vehicle systems such as body chassis, interiors, electronic controls and software." Wilkinson says GM made the changes to position the three in areas of "critical development" as GM works toward global product development.

Hmmm...product development is cut...dealership consolidations are in place...change of top management...wow this is like Oldsmobile all over again, but without the little pesky independent dealerships!

This doesn't sound good. Replacing a real car guy with a beancounter? More of the same. Tell me it's not the case GM.

DETROIT -- General Motors is shuffling top management in its performance division as it pushes to reorganize product development on a global scale General Motors has a performance division? When did this start?

C'mon now Wheels! Chevrolet has been around forever! Oh, you mean the OTHER "performance" division...yea...

Mark Reuss is the head of the specialty performance division that had a hand in the CTS-V, Cobalt SSSC, Corvette Zo6, and other performance vehicles.

I think they are talking about GMPD-General Motors Performance Division-the people responsible for the development of the CTS-V, STS-V, Ion Redline, Cobalt SS Supercharged etc, and not the Pontiac division.

I don't think this is really that bad. I'm pretty sure GM isn't about to back down in this power war, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Mark Reuss is the head of the specialty performance division that had a hand in the CTS-V, Cobalt SSSC, Corvette Zo6, and other performance vehicles.

[post="23501"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah...

People, reread the article.

I thought everyone was mad because they thought that there wouldn't be as many cars like the CTS-V, Z06, TB SS, etc. But yes, as turbo and CSpec said, it's just the GMPD, not Pontiac.

The Performance Division is a seperate division within GM that was responsible for the RedLine Saturns, the SS Chevy's, GXP Pontiac's, V series Caddillacs, and probably some other cool stuff (that HHR Bonneville Racecar was made by them and SoCal. And Jay Leno's Toronado that was on that show Rides. And the Cobalt RaceCar that won the Time Attack challenge and beat a 650 HP Skyline.) That's a pretty impressive resume. If you ask me, I think those were the only car's selling w/o rebates and definately bolstered GM's bottom line. Sounds like Mark Reuss was doing something right, so they put him in charge of other cars. I see no problem. P.S. The Z06 is done by the Corvette team, as is the C6. They are seperate from GMPD. Edited by mrfunji

I forgot to add something that is related to what mrfunji said; with Reuss being an advocate of the Camaro and having openly talked about trying to get the Camaro done, I'd say him having more control over product development is a good sign for Camaro fans.

Yes, Croc, I do... But it's hard to joke around since its so true. That is probably what upsets me the most. Chevy really is more of a Performance division than Pontiac. The Corvette and all those SS models compared to Pontiac's GTO, Solstice, and one GXP model. Who is supposed to be the Performance division again?

C'mon now Wheels!  Chevrolet has been around forever!  Oh, you mean the OTHER "performance" division...yea...

[post="23497"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Croc, I know there are performace vehicles within GM. I also know that there are not many performance vehicles within GM that are affordable for the average income person. Besides the C6, V-series and GTO, it's hard for me to get too excited. I know the S/C Colbolt is a good one, not much more comes to mind. ( please don't even mention the waste of money SSR ). I am not a $550 a month car payment person, too many other things in life to pay for. Now, could I get excited about a S/C or turbo Solstice, depends on price. They need to make more affordable performance cars. My performance car does not need leather, power drivers/passenger seats, esc and all that crap. My performance car needs to accelerate, handle and brake very well, thats what makes a performance car. Gm needs a few cars in the line up that get back to basics, performance cars, as in the past.

Face it....there is not one "performance divison" at the General. Because the General has a performance vehicle for EVERY brand that there is. All different segments. Get over it.....Pontiac does NOT meet performance anymore.

Face it....there is not one "performance divison" at the General. Because the General has a performance vehicle for EVERY brand that there is. All different segments.

Get over it.....Pontiac does NOT meet performance anymore.

Anymore? By that and the rest of what you said, it never did. So how am I supposed to get over it? And what exactly is your definition of a performance brand? Ferrari? Porshe? Lamborghini? Lotus? Ofcourse Pontiac will never be that as it was never intended to be. BMW? Infiniti? The same. So what is it? If either of those fit your definition, Pontiac never was and never will be a performance brand. I would have thought you knew this... Pontiac is performance oriented daily drivers that are affordable. Yet, it still isn't that. It needs work... and alot of it. I've said that before. So, what exactly am I supposed to get over?

BTW, I love that performance Lucerne. It really gets my adrenaline going... As well as that track performer from Hummer. Did I forget GMC's Envoy Denali? Oh my... I did. How could I forget such a performance oriented SUV? Performance vehicle at every brand, eh? Specific premium offering, yes. That, I think not.

Are you on drugs tonight, Josh? :huh: :lol: :P j/k

Pontiac is a muddled division within GM. They have been chasing the wrong image with the wrong product while capturing only about half the audience they wanted. The other half went to tuner imports and real sporty cars like Nissan, Mazda, etc. Pontiac's dream would be to return to that status of being the rebel child. They had the wild styling that nobody could mimic, and you had to have real balls to own something as distinctive in it. Pontiac's image is muddied, just like most of GMs divisions. Saying there is no performance division within GM is like saying there is no true competitor within GM to VW, Audi, BMW, even Honda. It's just factual. GM has, however, made some great strides in the performance arena, and Pontiac has not been totally abandoned within that race. GTO, Solstice, and GP GXP are great performance cars [even though GXP is too big and powerful to be FWD; and it's a Pontiac so it JUST SHOULD BE RWD]. Chevy has gotten lots of performance attention lately, the SSSC, Impala SS, TB SS, Z06, SSR are all great performance cars. Unfortunately, this level of engineering detail doesn't filter down to the mass market cars, and while these cars are great performance bargains, many are left wondering when GM will get with the times and produce a G6 with a VVT 3.2 engine capable of smacking down the Accord in both mpgs and performance. [insert any number of imports that GM does not have a real credible performance competitor, Cien-like car to compete with Ferrari, Mazda 6 AWD competitor or AWD WRX competitor for Pontiac, etc, etc] It's the product people. Edited by turbo200

Anymore? By that and the rest of what you said, it never did. So how am I supposed to get over it? And what exactly is your definition of a performance brand? Ferrari? Porshe? Lamborghini? Lotus? Ofcourse Pontiac will never be that as it was never intended to be. BMW? Infiniti? The same. So what is it? If either of those fit your definition, Pontiac never was and never will be a performance brand. I would have thought you knew this... Pontiac is performance oriented daily drivers that are affordable. Yet, it still isn't that. It needs work... and alot of it. I've said that before. So, what exactly am I supposed to get over?

BTW, I love that performance Lucerne. It really gets my adrenaline going... As well as that track performer from Hummer. Did I forget GMC's Envoy Denali? Oh my... I did. How could I forget such a performance oriented SUV? Performance vehicle at every brand, eh? Specific premium offering, yes. That, I think not.

Are you on drugs tonight, Josh? :huh: :lol: :P j/k

[post="23587"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You should obviously know when to read something that is good for you. Drugs? Not hardly.

Get an education.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room