Too many Impala models?

62impala

I saw 2 new Impalas on the lot at my local dealer the other day, and I have a few questions about ordering models and options.. One of the cars was a Black SS with light grey leather interior, but it had the woodgrain dash applique instead of the Chrome-ish stuff that I thought was specific to the SS. Can you order an SS with the woodgrain dash, or one of the other models with the chrome? The other car on the lot was a dark gray "3LT" that also had the light gray leather, but it also had the 3.9 V6; I thought that the 3.9 was specific only to the LTZ... this car had LTZ wheels and stickered out at over $28K; seems to me that if you can order a "3LT" that essentially is an LTZ, that there are too many Impala models being offered, which is going to result in confusion for both dealers and potential customers. Does any Chevy dealer or GM staffer know what's up here with these issues? Thanks...

I saw 2 new Impalas on the lot at my local dealer the other day, and I have a few questions about ordering models and options..

One of the cars was a Black SS with light grey leather interior, but it had the woodgrain dash applique instead of the Chrome-ish stuff that I thought was specific to the SS.  Can you order an SS with the woodgrain dash, or one of the other models with the chrome?

The other car on the lot was a dark gray "3LT" that also had the light gray leather, but it also had the 3.9 V6; I thought that the 3.9 was specific only to the LTZ... this car had LTZ wheels and stickered out at over $28K; seems to me that if you can order a "3LT" that essentially is an LTZ, that there are too many Impala models being offered, which is going to result in confusion for both dealers and potential customers.

Does any Chevy dealer or GM staffer know what's up here with these issues?

Thanks...

[post="23647"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Not sure about the SS, but I know the 3.9 can be an option on the 3LT.....

I saw 2 new Impalas on the lot at my local dealer the other day, and I have a few questions about ordering models and options..

One of the cars was a Black SS with light grey leather interior, but it had the woodgrain dash applique instead of the Chrome-ish stuff that I thought was specific to the SS.  Can you order an SS with the woodgrain dash, or one of the other models with the chrome?

The other car on the lot was a dark gray "3LT" that also had the light gray leather, but it also had the 3.9 V6; I thought that the 3.9 was specific only to the LTZ... this car had LTZ wheels and stickered out at over $28K; seems to me that if you can order a "3LT" that essentially is an LTZ, that there are too many Impala models being offered, which is going to result in confusion for both dealers and potential customers.

Does any Chevy dealer or GM staffer know what's up here with these issues?

Thanks...

[post="23647"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The answer to your question about the SS question is this, the wood grain package is an option and the "techno-metallic" trim is standard. the reason for this option is mainly for interior coordination. The SS Impala is available in Black, White, Silverstone(aka SILVER), Laser Blue(aka Purpleish-Blue), and Sport Red(aka BURGUNDY). The Gray, Ebony, and Tan interior are available. So if a person wanted to order a Sport Red with the tan interior then, in my opinion, the wood grain would be the better trim. As where if it were a Black with the Ebony interior the metallic trim would be more at home.

The 3LT vs. the LTZ answer is this, for the most part the 3LT and the LTZ are the same package except for a few options. The major difference is the LTZ is not available in cloth. So basically the 3LT is the cloth version of the LTZ.

On the flip side of this though, it is possible to order a 3LT with leather. For what reason :huh: :blink: a crazy inventory manager would order a loaded up 3LT instead of a LTZ, I do not know.

I think having a pleathora of options is a great thing so customers can "build their own" Impala.

The 3LT vs. the LTZ answer is this, for the most part the 3LT and the LTZ are the same package except for a few options. The major difference is the LTZ is not available in cloth. So basically the 3LT is the cloth version of the LTZ.

Reminds me of the '99 Silverado when it came out. The only thing that differentiated the LS from the LT trim was 1) Leather seats and 2) Heated outside mirrors. You could order the leather seats for the LS, but not the heated mirrors. :blink:

The answer to your question about the SS question is this, the wood grain package is an option and the "techno-metallic" trim is standard. the reason for this option is mainly for interior coordination. The SS Impala is available in Black, White, Silverstone(aka SILVER), Laser Blue(aka Purpleish-Blue), and Sport Red(aka BURGUNDY). The Gray, Ebony, and Tan interior are available. So if a person wanted to order a Sport Red with the tan interior then, in my opinion, the wood grain would be the better trim. As where if it were a Black with the Ebony interior the metallic trim would be more at home.

On the flip side of this though, it is possible to order a 3LT with leather. For what reason :huh:  :blink: a crazy inventory manager would order a loaded up 3LT instead of a LTZ, I do not know.

[post="23738"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I could see a dealership doing that too... :lol:

Older Folks who really like the "LT"badge will order those up..

I agree, Choice is good. ^_^

Yes, choice is good ... but very confusing, apparently.

My goodness ... I didn't realize the woodgrain could be ordered with the black interior ... interesting.

*shrugs*

The impalas I was offered ... could only be had with the 6-way power seat (which I don't want or need) and Onstar (which I don't want or need).

Ah, well.

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html
"I see our time has gotten stale" ... Eve 6 ... 'Inside Out'

I think there are too many models offered. Why for instants do we need the base LS and base LT which are almost identical save for the chrome rims around the guages and availabilty of more options. The LT3 also seems to be redundant. Just make the 3900 an option on the LT2 along with the already available leather seats. Better yet just give us 3 models like we had last year. Base with available options. LT with std 3900 and optional cloth like last years LS and the SS model. I hear much confusion over the 06 LS model which everyone thinks is the upper end version when it really is just a base model. Choice is good but confusion is bad.

I think there are too many models offered. Why for instants do we need the base LS and base LT which are almost identical save for the chrome rims around the guages and availabilty of more options. The LT3 also seems to be redundant. Just make the 3900 an option on the LT2 along with the already available leather seats. Better yet just give us 3 models like we had last year. Base with available options. LT with std 3900 and optional cloth like last years LS and the SS model. I hear much confusion over the 06 LS model which everyone thinks is the upper end version when it really is just a base model. Choice is good but confusion is bad.

[post="24250"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

GM is in the process of restructuring all of the trim levels. And if any vehicle needed it, the Impala was one. The Implala was the only Chevy in which the LS was the top trim level, everything else had an LT trim.

Secondly the newly repackaged vehicles have very few stand-alone or free-flow options. This makes it easier to order the vehicles and have what the customer wants. You come in and ask for a list of options and that will put you in a specific trim. The biggest problem is not having the right color.

Honda has been doing this for years. Take the Civic EX.....comes standard with power windows, locks, sunroof, and the later years alloy wheels. Another example is the Accord EX or EX-L.....same as Civic but with or without leather.

It just makes ordering and having what the customer want a lot easier. You never really have to worry about the car you're looking at having everything that you want except for two options........except for stuff like XM radio, a Sunroof, Polished wheels, 6-Disc......

Yes, choice is good ... but very confusing, apparently.

My goodness ... I didn't realize the woodgrain could be ordered with the black interior ... interesting.

*shrugs*

The impalas I was offered ... could only be had with the 6-way power seat (which I don't want or need) and Onstar (which I don't want or need).

Ah, well.
Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html
"I see our time has gotten stale" ... Eve 6 ... 'Inside Out'

[post="24013"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well sorry but both of those are STANDARD equipment across all trim levels. :(

• 3 weeks later...
On a side note for the differences between the 3LT and the LTZ, other than what was stated above:

The LTZ has these two main things that can't be ordered on the 3LT, no matter what: (according to http://www.chevy.com/impala) on the standard/option list

- LTZ HEated, Power side Mirrors (3LT has only power not heated)

- LTZ has Convenience Package (below)

Convenience Package, which includes:
auto-dimming inside rearview mirror; heated outside rearview mirrors; and Universal Home Remote transmitter (this package is standard for LTZ and optional on SS)

NOTE: The 3LT didn't say anything about a Convenience Package.

Basically, for people like me who like the luxury options, the LTZ is a suitable choice. For those who want vaule with a great car and options, the 3LT is for you.

If I had my way, the Impala would be offered in two models - the 3.5 LS and the 5.3 SS. Nothing else. The Impala with the 3.9 is only .6 seconds faster to 60 than the 3.5 and is only 1 mpg more fuel efficient than the SS. I don't see the point of the 3.9, even though most of you will disagree. People needing a little more luxury than the LS and don't want the performance of an SS can buy a Buick.

My Impala lineup: Base-Same as current LS, but with the 3900 V-6 engine standard, standard ABS and other equipment, keep the front split-bench seat standard since that's what sells the most, and make aluminum wheels optional. LS-More luxurious than Base, same 3900 V-6. LT-Luxury, leather front bucket or split-bench seats. LTZ-Current SS, just called a more appropriate level.