1971 Eldorado Convertible

Classy and one of my favorites.

Friend of mine had the 76 with the Fuel injected 500 ci - scariest engine I ever worked on. Ran great when it was working...I just never liked having my face 12" from an engine that sounded like it was going to punch me in the face with something mechanical at any second!!!

I should really show you guys my '57 Buick estate wagon!

:wub:

JEALOUS. JEALOUS. JEALOUS.

When I worked at a P-B-GMC-Cadillac dealer in downtown Toronto 25 years ago, these beasts were nightmarishly hard to park. We used undeground parking in a government building for the service cars and we could fly up and down the ramps with all the new Sevilles (the old "bustle-backs), the new Devilles, etc., but these (then) last generation Eldos were WIDE. They took care and aiming to do the 90 degree turn and go up the ramp.

Still, loved driving them!!!!!!

If you have to have a FWD car might as well be:

1. a Cadillac

2. powered by 500 cubic inches

3. white leather interior

4. the size of a Peterbilt 379

You have a gorgeous Caddy there... still can't

hold a candle to a 1967-70 Razorback though, :wink:

I should really show you guys my '57 Buick estate wagon!

YES you should... please. :)

Although I'm partial to all Eldorados, and I really like the '67 to '70 Razorback models, when it came to restoring one, there were several reasons I liked this model best: It re-introduced the Convertible version (if I'm going to have a collector car, it's great to be able to enjoy the sunshine with the top down), it introduced the "lamp monitoring system" indicators, it introduced the Wreath & Crest hood ornament, it re-introduced fender skirts (a Cadillac hallmark) and in 1971, there were "side gills" with large fuselage-like rear quarters (similar to the first Eldorados in '53) and a somewhat more chiseled/angular bodywork than the later '73 to '78 Eldorados, which, in my opinion, diluted the design. In 1971, the word 'ELDORADO' is written in block letters on the front quarters and in individually mounted letters on the trunk, and I love the dashboard and steering wheel, and the elegant pullstraps on the back of the front seats and door panels, the two broad leather bolsters on the outboard seating positions . . . you get the idea--I really like the 1971 model. (Not to mentions fewer pollution controls choking the engine, lack of plastic body inserts to crack/discolor and lowest production at 6,800 compared to the 14,000 in 1976).

Even the sales catalog for 1971 would rank as my all-time favorite Cadillac brochure, as it is done extremely tastefully, with superbly written text about the different models.

However, if I can ever afford to expand my car collecting, it will be for a 1968 to 1970 Eldorado "Razorback." Now, if Cadillac could just re-introduce a new series "Eldorado," perhaps using the next generation CTS Coupe as a framework to build from? Everywhere I go, there are so many Eldorado loyalists--hopefully, Cadillac product planners will see the light and not let the name or model die for too long.

Although I'm partial to all Eldorados, and I really like the '67 to '70 Razorback models, when it came to restoring one, there were several reasons I liked this model best: It re-introduced the Convertible version (if I'm going to have a collector car, it's great to be able to enjoy the sunshine with the top down), it introduced the "lamp monitoring system" indicators, it introduced the Wreath & Crest hood ornament, it re-introduced fender skirts (a Cadillac hallmark) and in 1971, there were "side gills" with large fuselage-like rear quarters (similar to the first Eldorados in '53) and a somewhat more chiseled/angular bodywork than the later '73 to '78 Eldorados, which, in my opinion, diluted the design. In 1971, the word 'ELDORADO' is written in block letters on the front quarters and in individually mounted letters on the trunk, and I love the dashboard and steering wheel, and the elegant pullstraps on the back of the front seats and door panels, the two broad leather bolsters on the outboard seating positions . . . you get the idea--I really like the 1971 model. (Not to mentions fewer pollution controls choking the engine, lack of plastic body inserts to crack/discolor and lowest production at 6,800 compared to the 14,000 in 1976).

Even the sales catalog for 1971 would rank as my all-time favorite Cadillac brochure, as it is done extremely tastefully, with superbly written text about the different models.

However, if I can ever afford to expand my car collecting, it will be for a 1968 to 1970 Eldorado "Razorback." Now, if Cadillac could just re-introduce a new series "Eldorado," perhaps using the next generation CTS Coupe as a framework to build from? Everywhere I go, there are so many Eldorado loyalists--hopefully, Cadillac product planners will see the light and not let the name or model die for too long.

Not to mention the UGLY mandated bumpers in '73. After '73 the Eldo just got uglier and uglier, IMO. '71 was a very good year.

Speaking of Razorbacks XP715 now owns TWO of them.

He dragged a parts car to his dad's shop last night and

statred tearing it up. The car is rough but not absolutely

past the point of restoration, still better XP strips it and

saves/stockpiles parts off it then it sit & rot undrivable.

Yes, that's right; as of Sunday I now own two 1967 Eldorados. Picked me up a nice parts car off craigslist for $200 that somebody lovingly smothered in a half-inch of bondo and painted beige with house paint some time in the 80's and then beat the f@#k out of it for the rest of its days. Unfortunately the old girl is past the point of no return, so I'm doing the next best thing as opposed to letting the car go to the junkyard whole and becoming a pedestal for some stupid ass front wheel drive DeVille (which was a very real possibility before I scooped it)