VA speed law: Go 70, get a year in jail and $3K ticket

Remind me never to live in Virginia...'ol TJ (Thomas Jefferson) is probably shaking his head right now.

And their speed limit on interstate highways is only 55! Talk about torture!

Virginia motorists convicted of minor traffic violations will face a new, multi-year tax beginning July 1. Led by state Delegate David B. Albo (R-Springfield), lawmakers slipped a driver responsibility tax into a larger transportation funding bill signed by Governor Tim Kaine (D) in April. Albo, a senior partner in the Albo & Oblon, LLP traffic law firm, can expect to see a significant increase in business as motorists seek to protect their wallet from traffic tickets that come with assessments of up to $3000 in addition to an annual point tax that tops out at $700 a year for as long as the points remain.

"The purpose of the civil remedial fees imposed in this section is to generate revenue," the new law states. (Virginia Code 46.2-206.1)

Driving as little as 15 MPH over the limit on an interstate highway now brings six license demerit points, a fine of up to $2500, up to one year in jail, and a new mandatory $1050 tax. The law also imposes an additional annual fee of up to $100 if a prior conviction leaves the motorist with a balance of eight demerit points, plus $75 for each additional point (up to $700 a year). The conviction in this example remains on the record for five years.

Other six-point convictions include "failing to give a proper signal," "passing a school bus" or "driving with an obstructed view." The same $1050 assessment applies, but the conviction remains on the record for eleven years.

Although the amount of the tax can add up quickly, the law forbids judges from reducing or suspending it in any way. The tax applies only to Virginia residents, so that out-of-state motorists only need to pay the regular ticket amount. Michigan, New Jersey, New York and Texas also impose a somewhat more modest driver responsibility tax which they apply to out-of-state residents.

The Virginia Supreme Court provides a full explanation of the new penalties for each traffic infraction in the 34k PDF file at the source link below.

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/18/1818.asp

The speed limits on the interstates here are 65 much like most of the country.

Reckless driving speed was dropped from 20mph over down to 15mph over because everyone does 80mph on highways.

You have probably never driven on I-95 to or from the northern Virginia, DC area, so you don't understand how this road works, I commute 50 miles (one way) to work everyday, this kind of stuff is needed.

I do believe that this should go for out of state drivers as well since they cause the most problems.

Edited by Screaming Trees

Well, at least they are calling it what it is: a tax. Speed laws and speed enforcement has never been about safety. It has always been about taxing the hapless motorist. I passed 3 speed traps on my way to work yesterday morning from downtown Toronto to the suburbs - and that was at 8 a.m. on a holiday weekend.

While legislators are quick to villify motorists as being the cause of the next Ice Age, the sprawl of Suburbia, most miscarriages and probably the failure of crop bees, they love motorists when it comes to tax time. Just last week the car-hating Toronto council voted to slap a $60 annual registration tax on vehicles in this city, on top of the $74 annual fee that the Province already charges. Add that to the $65 million in parking tickets and I would say that this city would implode if not for the motorist, yet they hate us in every way.

Unfortunately, a few spectacular crashes involving street racing plays right into the hands of the legislators. They will jump on the bandwagon of public panic that is fueled by the car hating media and use the hysteria to plug a few holes in their budgets.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind paying these speeding taxes, except for the added insult that your insurance company then slaps a hefty increase onto your annual premium, too. Double bull$h!!

Just further proof that our so-called democracy is broken. I've seen studies where upwards of 85% of the drivers ignored the posted limit. Would it not then follow that the posted limit is too low? (GASP!) Not to our tax happy politicians! It just means more enforcement.

Look at it on the bright side, boys and girls: these same fascist legislators will never slap a speed governor on your new vehicle BECAUSE this has nothing to do with safety and EVERYTHING to do with raising money for their pet projects.

Pretty harsh law.. I'm used to the 75mph limits here, even then, in heavy traffic, it's 80 or more in dry, clear weather...(4 lane freeway, clogged with commuters up and down the Front Range)..

in the metro areas, it's 55 or 65 (6- or 8- lanes), though at rush hour it's more like 20..

Edited by moltar

Those f@#kers sit right behind the sign when your cross north from North Carolina. Talk about a warm welcome.

Sorry, but...yeah.

Yeah, those bitches are insane. They literally get you for going 7 over the speed limit.

If Americans could drive, we could have much higher speed limits. They should really have a special license that allows people with more training to go faster.

I think the system by which people get the licenses should be overhauled. Getting license is way to easy, like going to the Walmart and getting one.

I've driven from NY straight to Orlando FL, I-95 the whole way (well at least into FL) and I don't remember seeing one cop the entire drive through Virginia, but Georgia on the other hand had swarms of them. Virginia has just lost one potential tourist....let alone a resident in me <_<

Edited by Delta Force79

Yeah, those bitches are insane. They literally get you for going 7 over the speed limit

VA State troopers pull over out of state drivers for 7mph over. I have passed them and had them follow me while I was going well over the limit.

Virginia has just lost one potential tourist....let alone a resident in me

Well this is one VA resident certainly glad to hear it. The more of you that think that way the less of you I have to put up with on the interstate. Please encourage your friends and family to do the same.

Like Screaming Trees said, the roads around DC most definitely do need some sort of more stringent speeding policy. Unless it's on I-295 (a road where going the posted speed limit--50--is a very unsafe thing to do), if you're caught doing 70 on a 55, there should be points involved. The roads around here get entirely too clogged and dangerous for that type of driving.

However, while I feel that nailing the excessive speeders is a worth-while task, an equal amount of (if not more!) energy should be invested in ticketing aggressive/distracted/impared drivers. I'm still amazed at how many people are able to swerve, weave, tailgate, and cut you off while going at or within 5 MPH the posted limit.

What a ridiculous law.

It IS all about money.

Police are probably mostly those people that I bet were never popular, never had fun, and no one liked, so they don't want anyone else either (not regarding speed here).

I would say that Interstate speeds need to be much higher, at least so for those with special training and what not.

I got busted for 92mph in a 70mph zone. Good thing they didn't catch me earlier... The road wasn't clogged, it was sunny, and dry. Why not go faster and get to the destination quicker?

83mph is my usual set speed around Interstates in my area.

Oh, &#036;h&#33;. Lol. Who wants to live in a "confederate" state anyway?

VA State troopers pull over out of state drivers for 7mph over. I have passed them and had them follow me while I was going well over the limit.

Well this is one VA resident certainly glad to hear it. The more of you that think that way the less of you I have to put up with on the interstate. Please encourage your friends and family to do the same.

:lol: Man if you want to drive @ 55 MPH on I-95 you be my guest....for people like me who actually know how to drive and handle a vehicle, I'd prefer to actually keep myself awake behind the wheel and go about 75-80. Also considering the rude tone of your response, you are either the one that made this law or you're sleeping with him, or related....in either of those cases you're the sucker that has to deal with it, not me....enjoy your state, I'll stick with New York. :rolleyes:

Edited by Delta Force79

Guest YellowJacket894

Hey, Screamin' Trees, love the sig man! :smilewide::thumbsup:

Lucky for us here in Can-tuck-ery, our legislation has been/is considering a bump in our limit, making it 70 mph.

:lol: Man if you want to drive @ 55 MPH on I-95 you be my guest....for people like me who actually know how to drive and handle a vehicle, I'd prefer to actually keep myself awake behind the wheel and go about 75-80. Also considering the rude tone of your response, you are either the one that made this law or you're sleeping with him, or related....in either of those cases you're the sucker that has to deal with it, not me....enjoy your state, I'll stick with New York. :rolleyes:

When did I say I was driving 55 on I-95? I don't remember that. Going 55 here is a good way to get hurt.

If I had been the one that created the law, all the fines would be higher for out of state drivers, the ones usually going 55 in the fast lane. I don't worry about the cops, they speed more than everyone else.

As far as the rude tone, you're goddamn right "Welcome to Virginia, now get the hell out, or rather drive around us instead"

Cross another state off of the list of places I'd consider living. <_<

I could never live there...Va is part of the Bible Belt and the South, can't do either.. Maryland, though, could work (there a ton of tech jobs in the DC metro area).. don't know if I could adjust to the climate, though..

When did I say I was driving 55 on I-95? I don't remember that. Going 55 here is a good way to get hurt.

If I had been the one that created the law, all the fines would be higher for out of state drivers, the ones usually going 55 in the fast lane. I don't worry about the cops, they speed more than everyone else.

As far as the rude tone, you're goddamn right "Welcome to Virginia, now get the hell out, or rather drive around us instead"

Well how's about this tree hugger, you can take your rude tone, and your goddamn right to have it towards me and "shove it up your ass....oh and if there's still any room left over, stuff Virginia up there too" and btw, next time you're in the area, allow me to be the first to say welcome to New York :wavey:

Well how's about this tree hugger, you can take your rude tone, and your goddamn right to have it towards me and "shove it up your ass....oh and if there's still any room left over, stuff Virginia up there too" and btw, next time you're in the area, allow me to be the first to say welcome to New York :wavey:

:lol:

I could never live there...Va is part of the Bible Belt and the South, can't do either.. Maryland, though, could work (there a ton of tech jobs in the DC metro area).. don't know if I could adjust to the climate, though..

Maryland is part of the south too, it is below the Mason-Dixon line outside of Baltimore, there are some very rural areas. You are correct, there are a lot of tech jobs here, since almost all of the federal government is located in northern VA, and it's all considered DC metro area. I live 50 miles south of DC and this area is considered part of the metro area, because so many people work up there. You can make a lot of money up there.

The bible belt part is drifting away, now that corporate america is taking over at a ever quickening pace, it's not as bad as it used to be, for me being an atheist I find it's being more accepted around here where before they tended not to like you or treat you very well. Southern charm and hospitality? Please. :rolleyes:

The climate isn't so bad if you don't mind 90% humidity on 100 degree days.

Maryland is part of the south too, it is below the Mason-Dixon line outside of Baltimore, there are some very rural areas. You are correct, there are a lot of tech jobs here, since almost all of the federal government is located in northern VA, and it's all considered DC metro area. I live 50 miles south of DC and this area is considered part of the metro area, because so many people work up there. You can make a lot of money up there.

The bible belt part is drifting away, now that corporate america is taking over at a ever quickening pace, it's not as bad as it used to be, for me being an atheist I find it's being more accepted around here where before they tended not to like you or treat you very well. Southern charm and hospitality? Please. :rolleyes:

The climate isn't so bad if you don't mind 90% humidity on 100 degree days.

Yeah, I don't mind the humidity (lived in Ohio, Illinois, Michigan and the Florida Keys). Sometimes I speculate on what other parts of the country I would be happy in..just kind of 'what if' scenarios (I've thought of moving to Portland, Seattle, Phoenix, San Diego, San Jose, etc.)

I like the Denver/Boulder area---lots of tech jobs, lots of highly educated professionals... I'm a liberal and an atheist, therefore have a fairly low tolerance of red state/heavily religious areas (Colorado Springs 50 miles away from me seems like it is straight out of the Bible Belt)... and the mild climate (dry, lots of sunshine) is a plus..

Maryland seems more like part of the NE to me than the south, since it borders PA and DE...

Critieria for me as far as a good place to live include having a major airport (hub for at least 2 airlines, international service) within a 30 minute drive, lots of the basic amenities within 15 minutes (Target, Best Buy, Borders, Starbucks, Chipotle, a good bagel place, major grocery chains, etc), a technical bookstore, computer stores (Frys Electronics, Microcenter, or local equivalent), plenty of software companies and IT shops (with six figure jobs--I have that in Denver), diverse dining options (plenty of Indian, Thai, Chinese, etc restaurants), good local microbrews, a thriving downtown nearby, BMW dealers, Jeep dealers, i.e. basically suburbia in a major metro area is where I'm at home. Having fun places to drive nearby (mountains, hilly areas) is a plus, as is the ocean.

Yeah, I don't mind the humidity (lived in Ohio, Illinois, Michigan and the Florida Keys). Sometimes I speculate on what other parts of the country I would be happy in..just kind of 'what if' scenarios (I've thought of moving to Portland, Seattle, Phoenix, San Diego, San Jose, etc.)

I like the Denver/Boulder area---lots of tech jobs, lots of highly educated professionals... I'm a liberal and an atheist, therefore have a fairly low tolerance of red state/heavily religious areas (Colorado Springs 50 miles away from me seems like it is straight out of the Bible Belt)... and the mild climate (dry, lots of sunshine) is a plus..

Maryland seems more like part of the NE to me than the south, since it borders PA and DE...

Critieria for me as far as a good place to live include having a major airport (hub for at least 2 airlines, international service) within a 30 minute drive, lots of the basic amenities within 15 minutes (Target, Best Buy, Borders, Starbucks, Chipotle, a good bagel place, major grocery chains, etc), a technical bookstore, computer stores (Frys Electronics, Microcenter, or local equivalent), plenty of software companies and IT shops (with six figure jobs--I have that in Denver), diverse dining options (plenty of Indian, Thai, Chinese, etc restaurants), good local microbrews, a thriving downtown nearby, BMW dealers, Jeep dealers, i.e. basically suburbia in a major metro area is where I'm at home. Having fun places to drive nearby (mountains, hilly areas) is a plus, as is the ocean.

May I suggest Baltimore? Silver Spring or Bethesda would be good options as well.

May I suggest Baltimore? Silver Spring or Bethesda would be good options as well.

I have friends in Baltimore..been there once for a conference..seemed like a pretty nice area. I like living in the west, but think I'd like to try the east coast at some point, for a change of scenery, career options, etc.

:lol:

Have a good laugh? good I'm glad...But I'm done with making jokes, from now on show me some respect. I've been here longer than you, I've played by the rules here and have never caused a problem. I respect people's opinions, however far from mine they may be, so do the same...end of discussion.