08 Malibu Hybrid caught in the wild

I think the Malibu should do well. Sell about 250k/year or so, though it really is rather boring. Better than Accord and Camry? Yes. Better than Altima? I'm not sure, but I'd say the Altima appears to have a bit more flair. That's not always good in this segment.

It´s nice. I don´t think it looks like an Impala. I am worried about all the blind spots that less glass is creating. I was also expecting MPG to be about 5 mpg higher. I´m cheap, you know.

There have been several articles stating Gen Y (and Gen X to some extent) do not have any brand loyalty in the auto market.

True enough, but regardless of generation, once you go Toyota or Honda, you don't go back (at least that's my real world observation of serial T/H owners).

True enough, but regardless of generation, once you go Toyota or Honda, you don't go back (at least that's my real world observation of serial T/H owners).

...and regardless of generation, I have met several Toyota/Honda owners who have been just as disappointed. They are not perfect. Their products are good, but often fail to live up to the inflated expectations that the media pushes...

Malibu Hybrid. Nice to see it coming, but can't Chevy think of a more original name? How about Malibu Zxx (number doesn't matter, but it will add zest to technology, you know?). And how mu8ch is trunk space reduced? Its a class-average 15 cubic feet to start, but make the taillights double rounds (or double so it looks less awkward, and like its actually inspired and not just cobbled together), add a couple small shoulder curves, and it should be fine.

I think the 2008 Malibu has a great design and I can't wait to see it in person. I do agree that the tail light design needs to be fixed (I agree with the person who proposed the idea of making the tailights more like the Cobalt coupe and Corvette; four round units); other than the tail lights, I think it is a homerun for Chevrolet. I would have never considered the last two generations of the Malibu when shopping for a midsize sedan (unless I needed a cheap rental car); in fact, this is the first sedan from Chevrolet I would want to be seen driving in period. I hope this is a sign of greater things to come from the brand. I think of the former big 3 U.S. corporations, GM is trying the hardest to turn itself around. I just hope GM doesn't get lazy again and starts to believe that the efforts it has made will be enough to keep it competitive. While the Enclave, Aura, Solstice, Sky, Acadia, 2008 Vue, and 2008 Malibu are gigantic steps forward, the competition will not let these wonderful vehicles stay relevant long. GM will want to keep looking to the future and continue to improve on the terrific new image it has created for itself.

...2008 Malibu [is a] gigantic step forward, the competition will not let these wonderful vehicles stay relevant long. GM will want to keep looking to the future and continue to improve on the terrific new image it has created for itself.

The lead designer let it slip that they are already working on the next Malibu. :AH-HA_wink:

Sizing up the competition:

Posted Image

Now, especially considering one was professionally photographed and the other was snapped by some guy driving by in his car, I'd say the 'bu compares pretty well. The LED taillights are the only thing I prefer on the Camry.

-RBB

Gee, will you look at the panel gaps on that thing.

Don't like the taillights, but...

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530202

------------------------------------

All-New 2008 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid Debuts at Major League Baseball's All-Star Game

Malibu Hybrid production begins in October, available at dealerships soon after

Posted Image

SAN FRANCISCO – The all-new 2008 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid will join baseball’s other stars as it makes its world debut in the All-Star Fan Zone today. The Malibu Hybrid’s appearance continues through the last out of one of MLB’s highlights of the year.

Thanks to an affordable hybrid powertrain option, the all-new 2008 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid not only will be the most refined new midsize sedan in the neighborhood, but one of the most fuel-efficient, as well. Powered by the GM Hybrid System, the first-ever Malibu Hybrid delivers an EPA rating of 24 mpg city and 32 mpg highway – a two-mpg increase over the non-hybrid four-cylinder model – and will be Chevrolet value-priced, offering customers an affordable hybrid choice.

“The beauty of the Chevy Malibu Hybrid is that customers don’t have to choose between a stylish, expressive, fuel-saving sedan full of standard content and the gasoline that goes in the tank,” said Chevrolet General Manager Ed Peper. “The Malibu Hybrid‘s winning package of uncompromising design and fuel economy will help us assert leadership in the midsize sedan segment and meet the needs of Chevy customers.”

Production of the Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid is scheduled to begin in October, with vehicles arriving in dealerships shortly thereafter. The system will be available as a powertrain option on the base LS model, which also features Electric Power Steering, Automatic Climate Control and the StabiliTrak electronic stability control system.

The GM Hybrid system featured on the Malibu Hybrid saves fuel by using sophisticated controls and software, as well as a unique, 36-volt electric motor/generator mated to GM Powertrain’s 2.4L Ecotec VVT four-cylinder engine and Hydra-Matic 4T45 four-speed transmission. The GM Hybrid system maintains the vehicle’s sporty feel and seamlessly reduces fuel consumption by:

• Shutting off the engine when the vehicle is stopped, to minimize idling
  • Restarting the engine promptly when the brake pedal is released
  • Enabling early fuel shut-off during vehicle deceleration
  • Capturing vehicle kinetic energy during deceleration through regenerative braking to charge the advanced nickel metal hydride battery
  • Performing intelligent battery charging when it is most efficient
The GM Hybrid system provides additional power, when required, during launch from the electric motor/generator. At wide-open throttle, such as during a passing maneuver, the system enhances acceleration by using the motor/generator to bolster the gasoline engine and achieve maximum power.

The GM Hybrid system also is designed to automatically maintain full accessory functionality – including climate control – when the vehicle is stopped, so that hybrid operation is seamless to the driver and passengers. The Malibu Hybrid delivers an appropriate balance of fuel economy and cabin comfort with an air conditioning system with two selectable modes. The Hybrid A/C mode favors more fuel-efficient performance by limiting the draw on the hybrid powertrain, while the normal mode provides maximum passenger comfort in hot climates and enhances defogging performance.

Malibu Hybrid models make a statement away from the gas pump, too, thanks to specific exterior appointments such as 16-inch low rolling resistance tires and unique hybrid badging. Inside, a special gauge cluster provides information and feedback about the hybrid powertrain’s operation.

The 2008 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid is covered by GM’s five-year / 100,000-mile powertrain warranty, the most comprehensive in the industry. In addition, the Malibu Hybrid’s advanced nickel metal hydride (NiMH) battery pack is covered by an eight-year / 100,000-mile warranty.

Specifications

Posted ImagePosted Image

Photo Gallery

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sizing up the competition:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now, especialy considering one was proffesionally photographed and the other was snapped by some guy driving by in his car, I'd say the 'bu compares pretty well. The LED taillights are the only thing I prefer on the Camry.

-RBB

The back end RUINS.....let me repeat....RUINS this car for me. It could even be a "deal-killer." How can GM design such an attractive car as this.....attractive almost all around....and then absolutely murder it with a rump that looks this AWFUL....

The back end RUINS.....let me repeat....RUINS this car for me. It could even be a "deal-killer." How can GM design such an attractive car as this.....attractive almost all around....and then absolutely murder it with a rump that looks this AWFUL....

QUOTED FOR TRUTH